• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beveridges

Established Member
But how many did you fail bev?

The fact that if you fail the Structured Interview twice your out for good means the maximum amount of times I could have failed it and be in the position I am in now is once.

1 is the answer to your question

Last edited:

simple

I have been lurking for a long time and I have read as many threads as I can about becoming a train driver.

I must admit I am in two minds. I have my assessments and interviews shortly and I am very much weighing up if this is the role for me. I am confident that I would pass, I have practiced group bourdon to death, and keep practicing every day (I see dots all the time!). I have a good background in engineering and client management so the other tests I am rather confident about as well. However I am aware that I get two shots at this.

I am in my early thirties, in a very good job but becoming a train driver is something that I have thought about. I work long hours already, but they aren't unsociable, it tends to be in the office for 7/8 and out again 8pm Monday-Friday. However I am worried about the impact of shift work on my personal life. Down the line kids with my partner is obviously something I want and she is in an equally demanding career in the city. We have spoken about it and she has said that she will support me if I go down this route, however I can't help but think it is rather selfish.

I have done shift work before, when I was in my graduate role and have moved up towards more normal hours. Doing shift work previously was fine, I had no real responsibility or a partner, however I fear that it would be detrimental to my relationship. I may be wrong, I don't know many people who do shift work. On top of that am I mad to chuck in a job I am doing well in to become a job with essentially not much progression. Whilst I am content with that to a certain extent, the salary if I did become a train driver would be similar to what I am on now.

At the back of my mind if I am going into this with doubts lingering already, perhaps I should withdraw completely? Or should I be selfish and do what I want. Part of me thinks if I don't do this now, it might be too late to make the lifestyle and salary change down the line.

Any thoughts, comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

NI 271

Not trying to influence you in any way here, but I will tell you that I would have been a train driver from the mid-90s if only the wretched cretins who I had a mortgage with would have allowed me a short break from payments whilst I did my training (the training salary was well below what I was on at the time and I had a very young son plus a daughter on the way).

They didn't, so I had to let the chance pass. Only now my kids are of school-leaving age (son has already left) could I realistically consider it again (and thankfully my mortgage providers would give us a six-month break from payments).

I wish I'd taken the chance when I had it, looking back, we'd have managed somehow. But like I said, I'm not trying to influence your decision. Sounds to me like you've serious reservations about shifts. I've done them for 20 years and love them, most of my mates think I'm barmy and couldn't work evenings or weekends. It isn't for everybody. Can you go back to what you do now if it doesn't work out?

Beveridges

Established Member
I've done them for 20 years and love them, most of my mates think I'm barmy and couldn't work evenings or weekends. It isn't for everybody. Can you go back to what you do now if it doesn't work out?

Its not working evenings and weekends thats mad. Its starting work at times like between 01:00 and 05:00 that is the killer. Not that I do any of that anymore, coming from a maintenance depot background

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I'm married, with a young school age family. I fnd the shifts can be a massive bonus, especially in the school holidays. A block of four days off, midweek, when the kids are out - it's fantastic. Quality time!
The hours can be hard with driving, and you need to be organised in your personal life. However, I cannot think of a professional role, that will give you more time off. Typically a four day week, or just over, and upwards of thirty days leave a year.

Beveridges

Established Member
I cannot think of a professional role, that will give you more time off.
Maintenance Depot Driving will in terms of days off, its a 3 day week, but same number of hours (35)

LCC106

Established Member
I think you take a sensible approach. I don't have a partner or kids but it's something I considered when applying this time around. Your partner has stated that she will support you all the way. I wonder whether some of your apprehension stems from the thought of juggling childcare with your partner and your own working hours needs (in light of the fact she has a good career)? If so, I understand the dilemma.

If you CAN return to your current career down the line, I'd say GO FOR IT! You have nothing to lose!

NI 271

Its not working evenings and weekends thats mad. Its starting work at times like between 01:00 and 05:00 that is the killer. Not that I do any of that anymore, coming from a maintenance depot background

I currently only have three shifts, one finishes at 0030, another starts at 0230. Getting out of bed at 0130 is no problem, however I do tend to be tired by around 0800. I've always maintained this is because we can move from late to day to early turns inside 3 calendar days (which means 3 shifts in less than 42 hours) because in an office, we don't have hours regulations to contend with like bus/HGV drivers, or railway staff, do.

Working a week about, as appears to be the case on the railways, would certainly be a help. Certainly most businesses who operate continental shift systems do this, it is quite odd that we don't. It does provide a degree of flexibility, however, so it's not all negative.

Starting an early at 0500 would be absolutely welcome!

driver9000

Established Member
I'm married, with a young school age family. I fnd the shifts can be a massive bonus, especially in the school holidays. A block of four days off, midweek, when the kids are out - it's fantastic. Quality time!
The hours can be hard with driving, and you need to be organised in your personal life. However, I cannot think of a professional role, that will give you more time off. Typically a four day week, or just over, and upwards of thirty days leave a year.

Totally agree. I think I see more of my children than my 9-5 friends see of theirs. Yes, some of the turns can be hard but the benefits far outweigh the negatives and with a sensible approach to adjusting your lifestyle to cope with the extremes of the shifts expected to work you should be fine. I've been working these kinds of hours for 13 years and I couldn't work 9-5.

It's not a job, it's a way of life :)

W230

Established Member
However I am worried about the impact of shift work on my personal life. Down the line kids with my partner is obviously something I want and she is in an equally demanding career in the city. We have spoken about it and she has said that she will support me if I go down this route, however I can't help but think it is rather selfish.
I've done shift work since leaving university in 2001 which has included nights since 2004, until entering my driver training, which has been Mon-Fri initially.

During that time I never found that working shifts was detrimental towards my personal life. In fact, it's been the opposite. I've found that i've been able to pick and choose more about social events I go to (can always use the "i'm working" excuse ;)). I've also found that it's good for my relationship, as instead of both of us coming home knackered and sitting on the sofa watching crap tv, we make an effort to do stuff when we have time off together. It also gives us plenty of time independant to do our own stuff and doesn't leave us trying to cram in loads of stuff every weekend.

I would imagine with young children it is likely to be benficial too as you get to see them in the day instead of them already being in bed when you get home every night.

My friends think i'm mad doing shifts but when I see how much they seem to cram in at weekends and how tired they are all the time I realise it's at least the right thing for me! I'm sure if more people tried them they would like them. :lol:

Dazza

I've been working all sorts of silly hours for years as a truck driver.
What I'm looking for as a train driver is an end to working 50-70 hours per week, proper paid annual leave, a decent pension scheme and to be paid a decent rate for the job.
All of the above are missing from road haulage!

Regards,
Daz

Beveridges

Established Member
I've been working all sorts of silly hours for years as a truck driver.
What I'm looking for as a train driver is an end to working 50-70 hours per week, proper paid annual leave, a decent pension scheme and to be paid a decent rate for the job.
All of the above are missing from road haulage!
Don't blame you, working 50-70 hours a week plus unsociable hours as well must be tiring in the extreme, dont know how some people do it

Last edited:

st.ives

Am I correct in thinking you can take the Psychometric tests independently? If so are there certain providers that must be used?

JCLeeds

Am looking to apply for Leeds or pretty much anywhere in West Yorks; maybe York also. Obviously Northern, but who else employs drivers in the area? First Transpennine I guess, but any more I should be looking at?

TheVicLine

Am looking to apply for Leeds or pretty much anywhere in West Yorks; maybe York also. Obviously Northern, but who else employs drivers in the area? First Transpennine I guess, but any more I should be looking at?

Cross Country and East Mids go there but not sure if they have depots nearby.

EMJ

Hello all. I am new to this site. I seek advise about becoming a train driver. I am a serving police officer of almost 18 years. I work on a traffic department as such I have numerous skills and qualifications (advanced car driver, advanced motorcycle rider, off road motorcycle to name a few amongst about 40 other qualifications). I suspect that I have the required skills to become a train driver. I can retire in 7 years providing 25 years of service. I will 49 years of age. Will I be too old to pursue a new career? If so is there any way in which I can get qualified (self financed) whilst still a serving police officer? Regards.

TDK

Established Member
Hello all. I am new to this site. I seek advise about becoming a train driver. I am a serving police officer of almost 18 years. I work on a traffic department as such I have numerous skills and qualifications (advanced car driver, advanced motorcycle rider, off road motorcycle to name a few amongst about 40 other qualifications). I suspect that I have the required skills to become a train driver. I can retire in 7 years providing 25 years of service. I will 49 years of age. Will I be too old to pursue a new career? If so is there any way in which I can get qualified (self financed) whilst still a serving police officer? Regards.

To answer your question on all accounts, you stand an excellent chance of being successful at the sifting stage as what you have posted are good qualities, as for the age a company will need 5 years out of a driver for them to be viable so of course you are going to retire at 65 aren't you! You cannot get the qualification self funded you need to join a company and leave the Police Force, the training money is poor for the first year and lower than the main salary for the next 2 years but you Police Pension will counteract that. Good luck

EMJ

To answer your question on all accounts, you stand an excellent chance of being successful at the sifting stage as what you have posted are good qualities, as for the age a company will need 5 years out of a driver for them to be viable so of course you are going to retire at 65 aren't you! You cannot get the qualification self funded you need to join a company and leave the Police Force, the training money is poor for the first year and lower than the main salary for the next 2 years but you Police Pension will counteract that. Good luck

Thanks for the prompt response TDK. Yes my police pension would counteract the innitial low wage. In order to understand the process, would you suggest that my best option is to spend time on this site reading the forums as it does appear to have some valid questions and answers? I am midlands based and would prefer a local employer, as such is it beneficial to contact local train companies for forth coming vacancies?

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for the prompt response TDK. Yes my police pension would counteract the innitial low wage. In order to understand the process, would you suggest that my best option is to spend time on this site reading the forums as it does appear to have some valid questions and answers? I am midlands based and would prefer a local employer, as such is it beneficial to contact local train companies for forth coming vacancies?

Hi,

You will need to check the recruitment pages of London Midland, Cross Country, Virgin and Chiltern, the latter being the best company to work for (I have worked for them before) and they will need to recruit sooner than later. A tip you will need to live within 45 minutes from either or Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Birming Moor Steet or Stourbridge Junction, if you within 45 minutes of all of these bingo. There is a lot of info on this forum, some good and some not so good, if you need any more information and once you have posted a fre more posts on this forum you can Private Message me and I will put you on the right track (excuse the pun). I know quite a few ex police force drivers and have interviewd a few as well and they are very good material for the job in general either it be a guard or a driver.

Silv1983

Your skills are very transferable. I did 5 years as a bobby before Theresa May forced me to look for another career direction. I got one of 6 jobs amongst 1500 applicants - and whilst I'm not saying I didn't need other skills/qualities to achieve success: my experiences as a shift working frontline Police Officer spoilt me for choice with interview material. Also, one of the new drivers on my intake was 49 years of age. So looking good.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi,

You will need to check the recruitment pages of London Midland, Cross Country, Virgin and Chiltern, the latter being the best company to work for (I have worked for them before) and they will need to recruit sooner than later. A tip you will need to live within 45 minutes from either or Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Birming Moor Steet or Stourbridge Junction, if you within 45 minutes of all of these bingo. There is a lot of info on this forum, some good and some not so good, if you need any more information and once you have posted a fre more posts on this forum you can Private Message me and I will put you on the right track (excuse the pun). I know quite a few ex police force drivers and have interviewd a few as well and they are very good material for the job in general either it be a guard or a driver.

Chiltern have just poached a load of drivers from LM and LM are seeking qualified drivers. The midlands is not a good area to get trained to be a driver. I should know I had to move from the midlands to the south east to get trained. EMJ you will def need to be prepared to move if you want a trainee position.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Have you considered applying for any of those positions if they come up Dave?

Not practical tbh! I have to give six months notice to GA and I'm settled down here now. Transport links here in the south east are second to none compared to the midlands.

A-driver

Established Member
What qualifications are needed to become a train driver (or even train manager).

No formal qualifications are needed although they like gcse etc and like you to be able to show you can be trained and retain information so any qualifications will only count in your favour.

anglia.rail

No formal qualifications are needed although they like gcse etc and like you to be able to show you can be trained and retain information so any qualifications will only count in your favour.

Thanks for help, much appreciated :)