• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A fares graph - how unfair and inaccurate actually is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and it drew the usual comments about how UK fares are too expensive, and trains too crowded and never on time.

I did a bit of research, finding that the £96 fare looks to probably be an outdated walk up peak single, with advance singles available from £12 and an off-peak walk up single is available for £43.40.

That got me thinking that I bet we are not comparing like with like on that graphic - but I don't know enough about foreign train travel. Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/information about the other fares, and perhaps a pence per mile on a 'same ticket' comparison? I'd be interested to see what the difference actually is.

Attachments

• RailFares.png
    RailFares.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 176
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and it drew the usual comments about how UK fares are too expensive, and trains too crowded and never on time.

I did a bit of research, finding that the £96 fare looks to probably be an outdated walk up peak single, with advance singles available from £12 and an off-peak walk up single is available for £43.40.

That got me thinking that I bet we are not comparing like with like on that graphic - but I don't know enough about foreign train travel. Does anyone have sufficient knowledge/information about the other fares, and perhaps a pence per mile on a 'same ticket' comparison? I'd be interested to see what the difference actually is.

If the fare for other services are walk up peak singles as well , then it is a fair comparison.

najaB

Veteran Member
If the fare for other services are walk up peak singles as well , then it is a fair comparison.
I rather think this is the question - are they actually comparable fares or some kind of advance purchase or restricted ticket?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I just very quickly checked Marseilles to Nice and the closest to a UK walk-up ticket is £37. Not sure if that's an Anytime though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The £100(ish) British Anytime fare is also valid for BOJ over two days, French fares aren't.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I seem to remember this. I think it was done as part of a study that chose trains at a particular time.

It's clearly not the most sensible comparison... but good luck finding something cheap on a train from London to Bristol around 1700.

Quakkerillo

I just checked, and 18.45 is currently the price for Belgium (also seems to be Maximum price) for the anytime walk-up fare.
Netherlands will be 20 pounds maximum fare.

But the type of train is also very different, as is journey time. The travel quality doesn't compare, as it is more a journey like Peterborough to Warrington with EMT.

Lad Brookes

Mark Smith wrote this a while ago, which I thought was a pretty good summary of the situation.

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-fares-comparison.html

His conclusion is as follows

Conclusion..

So the next time someone says (or you read) "Britain has the highest rail fares in Europe", you'll know this is only 15% of the story. The other 85% is that we have similar or even cheaper fares, too. The big picture is that Britain has the most commercially aggressive fares in Europe, with the highest fares designed to get maximum revenue from business travel, and some of the lowest fares designed to get more revenue by filling more seats. This is exactly what airlines have known, and been doing, for decades. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself, check some UK train fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk...

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's a nonsense comparison, but makes a good headline and a cheap column filler on slow news day.

Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.