• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A first time for everything: train misses booked call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before anyone asks, it is not worth anyone's job not to report it, and later get found out, so the guard/driver would report such occurrences themselves asap.

Are you sure about that?

I work in a depot with over 100 drivers and at least 90% wouldn't report a fail to call or an additional stop unless it was at peak time at a busy station.

Unless you're reported via twitter there's only a slim chance of being found out and if you do then you just play dumb. The punishments don't appear to be any different whether you report yourself or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Funniest I've had was on an XC service which pulled into Reading (pre-remodelling) bang on time... on the centre track between P4 and 5. The guard started making a "We are now arriving" announcement but rapidly tailed off :)

Been on a fair number of trains which have failed to call at Didcot - in fairness most of these had Didcot as an additional stop after the preceeding train was cancelled. Missed stops at Culham and Appleford are not unusual on Oxford stoppers either. There used to be a poster reminding drivers to check whether they're booked to stop at Culham - strangely this has been replaced with one with Radley on; as nearly all stoppers call there it seems odd to need a reminder.

causton

Established Member
Unless you're reported via twitter there's only a slim chance of being found out and if you do then you just play dumb.

One of those being if you, another member of staff, are trying to use that train to get to work and they ask why you are late ;) not saying it happened to me but...!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are you sure about that?

I work in a depot with over 100 drivers and at least 90% wouldn't report a fail to call or an additional stop unless it was at peak time at a busy station.

Unless you're reported via twitter there's only a slim chance of being found out and if you do then you just play dumb. The punishments don't appear to be any different whether you report yourself or not.

Partly my point. It is not a big deal as it is a fairly common mistake, but I am aware of a few TOCs who would not be very happy if staff do not report such occurrences, as it can have further implications in things like customer service and staff welfare, as often there would not be any other mechanism to detect fail to calls.

Not saying that one would be sacked for not doing so, but it causes unnecessary tension and awkwardness, to say the least, to not report, what is essentially, a minor error. Do it a few times and one would be asking for trouble.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Agreed. At my place management would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you failed to call and then lied about it. It may not have been the case five or ten years ago but the job has changed since those days, things like Twitter, Facebook and CCTV at stations which can be remotely accessed from anywhere have made train crew much more accountable for mistakes than they once were. I'm sure there are still companies and depots with a much more laissez faire attitude towards 'misreading your diagram' but the days of that attitude being the norm are numbered.

If you cock up (and it's more easily done than a lot of people seem to think) then hold your hands up and be prepared to learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.