• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A "mask-free" hour for shops?

Should shops introduce an hour where people can shop without masks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail12

Just came across this on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1288188726099742720

Should shops introduce a mask-free shopping hour? The suggestion, put forward by Ann Widdecombe, would mean everyone who doesn't want to wear a mask can shop at the same time. It might be easier for shops to police, but is it a good idea? #JeremyVine

Ann Widdecombe wants for shops to have an hour where people can shop without having to wear a mask. This basically means that everyone who dislikes masks would be shopping at the same time.

Thoughts? I'm not a hardcore activist for mask wearing but I'm really not sure I agree with this one (no surprise given that it comes from Widdecombe, she and I agree on basically nothing).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Doesn't seem unreasonable as long as those with exemptions are still allowed to shop at any time (and not just during the mask free hour). Several flaws with it but as a concept itself I've heard worse.

bramling

Veteran Member
Just came across this on Twitter:

Ann Widdecombe wants for shops to have an hour where people can shop without having to wear a mask. This basically means that everyone who dislikes masks would be shopping at the same time.

Thoughts? I'm not a hardcore activist for mask wearing but I'm really not sure I agree with this one (no surprise given that it comes from Widdecombe, she and I agree on basically nothing).

It's along the right lines, but I'd rather go with something like the first three hours of opening to be mask time for the neurotic brigade, and the rest of the day for everyone else.

I think *something* is going to have to give, as footfalls seem to be conspicuously down. Interestingly I know a few people who have suddenly ditched trains and switched to the car to get to work, despite having been happy to use trains right through -- simply because they can't be bothered with the possibility of encountering some crazed maskophile.

MikeWM

Established Member
Not sure I like it as an hour - all those exempt would be under pressure to only go in that hour, which may not be possible/convenient.

If it were 50:50, fine.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It could potentially be a good idea; some people are unable to wear a mask and may feel uncomfortable shopping in the current climate; there have been numerous reports of abuse occurring. While people with exemptions must continue to be able to shop at any time, it may boost their confidence to go at times when there will be no risk of abuse.

If this was an option, I would choose to shop at this time if I could.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Sadly, I can’t see this happening as it defeats the intended purpose of the mask laws being introduced in the first place, but I would absolutely support it so I can have a much more pleasant shopping experience!

Perhaps an “exemption hour” where people who cannot wear masks for medical reasons at the start and end of the day would be a good idea, as it would make those people feel much more comfortable going out!

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I wouldn't be against it, but I think a "mask-only" hour (or two, or three, or anytime before 1pm for example) would cater to more people.

Darandio

Established Member
Why don't we ask the companies, shop owners and people who actually work there what they want? Too many people are insistent on demanding new regulations and practices but don't give a toss about the people involved. Maybe some of these people don't actually want an hour or three where it's a free-for-all at this point?

adc82140

Established Member
Trouble is the mask activists would say that mask free hours would be a hot bed of disease transmission, and everyone there would go onto kill their granny. I would be in favour of mask free hours but to pacify the hysterical there would need to be a return to the 2m distance queues outside and very limited numbers inside at once.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why don't we ask the companies, shop owners and people who actually work there what they want?
Companies like Sainsbury's, and many more, did exactly that.

https://twitter.com/amynicpalmer/status/1286542148268167168
Everyone slagging off Sainsbury’s for this can get outta here. Supermarket workers have been putting themselves and their families at risk for the entirety of this pandemic, and now you want them to confront people without masks? Putting themselves at more risk? Nah.

I work in a supermarket most people including staff have worn masks, it's certainly not upto us to enforce it how would we know who has a medical condition and how awful would we feel if we confronted someone who did have good reason for not wearing one

farleigh

It's a good idea imo. If you want more people in shops this caters to everybody.

jtuk

Would make sense for said hour to be at the close of play, in the unlikely event that somebody is in a shop with coronaplague and in the unlikely event that it does actually hang around in the air for as long as the coronaparanoid think, it can at least fall to the floor and die while the shop's closed

Agree, this is about the first sensible thing Widdecombe's ever said

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Totally unworkable, I think people are overlooking the staff in shops, are they going to be happy with a period or periods each day where anyone can go around without a mask rather than the typical 5%?

I certainly wouldn't, you can count me out going about the shop floor during such a period.

A Challenge

Established Member
Masks were not meant to be instead of social distancing anyway, so people should still be staying 1 metre apart even in masks, shouldn't they?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Would an hour really be long enough if you were doing a big shop though? Two hours would be more like it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Why don't we ask the companies, shop owners and people who actually work there what they want? Too many people are insistent on demanding new regulations and practices but don't give a toss about the people involved. Maybe some of these people don't actually want an hour or three where it's a free-for-all at this point?

No one's asked me if I'd like masks on trains. The answer would have been a big resounding NO!

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
Totally unworkable, I think people are overlooking the staff in shops, are they going to be happy with a period or periods each day where anyone can go around without a mask rather than the typical 5%?
Shop workers were working on shop floors without wearing everyone being forced to wear masks up to last week all through the height of the pandemic, and yet it isn't safe for them to be on the shop floor if there isn't forced mask wearing any more?

bramling

Veteran Member
Same thing. You should be asked as well but nobody seems to give a toss about you either.

Quite so. Dumped with the mask legislation which I neither asked for nor want, partly no doubt through political pressure from people like Sadiq Khan, and now stuck with it. I will absolutely not wear a mask on a train, and have no intention of enforcing it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Shop workers were working on shop floors without wearing everyone being forced to wear masks up to last week all through the height of the pandemic, and yet it isn't safe for them to be on the shop floor if there isn't forced mask wearing any more?

It doesn't work to talk in absolutes here. It's not about what's "safe" and "not safe", it's about trying to get spread down a bit so it starts declining again, so we can do more reopening. With it having levelled off we are now stuck - we can't loosen any more as it'll start going up.

For that reason, I voted "no".

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes, and the situation during the lockdown period was far worse as places were busier and there were situations like toilet rolls being grabbed off the pallets whilst staff were attempting to take them to the shelves.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I personally feel a lot safer now 95% of people are wearing one

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Quite; presumably those who say they would not shop if 95% of people were not wearing masks did not enter shops during that period?

thejuggler

Whatever she has been on I'll have a pint. She's another member of the Cummings 'laws shouldn't apply to me' brigade.

Considering her age I'm amazed she isn't concerned as she is far more likely to be seen off by the virus.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Whatever she has been on I'll have a pint. She's another member of the Cummings 'laws shouldn't apply to me' brigade.

I disagree, she’s recognising that these laws do apply to her, and is suggesting a way to make things more pleasant (in her own opinion) whilst still abiding by the law.

Considering her age I'm amazed she isn't concerned as she is far more likely to be seen off by the virus.
This isn’t quite true, even in the higher age groups, the risk level remains quite low (not very, but quite)

bramling

Veteran Member

Not really, unless she's intimated that she's breaking the law now. My reading is she's attempting to change the laws in order to produce something superior, which is completely different to what Cummings did.

Status
Not open for further replies.