• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A New Game for you all to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Yep, another game for you; this time, the Cryptic Clue.

Provide an unusual (or opposite) description of the name of a station:

Which Car? WATFORD [LUL] or VAUXHALL
The Bear from Peru PADDINGTON
Toilet! LOOE
Sheep Door RAMSGATE

...etc.

I'll just provide three for now. Obviously the danger is that a description fits more than one station; however, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hamlet of the Witches
Candle-Maker's Crossing
Old Thorpes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Of the answers so far, there has been one correct answer - Chandler's Ford. Do please remember that using a station with a suffix or "place identifier" (whatever they're called) wouldn't really be fair.

Ivo

Established Member
These answers are plausible, but the idea with this one is opposites, ruling out Chertsey. Cross doesn't exactly balance against Thorpes; hower I will admit that "New" is correct. That probably gives this one away. And the witch one... somewhere between the Trent and the Borders.

Death

Established Member
These answers are plausible, but the idea with this one is opposites, ruling out Chertsey. Cross doesn't exactly balance against Thorpes; hower I will admit that "New" is correct. That probably gives this one away. And the witch one... somewhere between the Trent and the Borders.
I'm just about to pop off y gwelli as I'm totally knackered... :shock:

Anyhow - I'm reading thy New City loud and clear (Taking the opposites to be literal), but the only station I can connect that with is Milton Keynes Central for some reason... :?

Oh well, maybe someone else'll figure it out from my reasoning. ;)

Ivo

Established Member
Again, it's a plausible answer (ish...), but [a] MK is still technically a town and "New" is actually in the station name. Isn't anyone going to try the Witch one...?

Ivo

Established Member
...Still no... Do like your persistence :)

Think of it this way. I've already said that it begins with "New". What opposites of Thorpes are there? There a bit "out there"... and many with a hint of rail involved?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...I'll also say this:

Unlike the witch one (hello?), "Old Thorpes" is not between the Trent and the Borders. It is south of the Trent, and somewhere in England at that.
I'll say now. It's been long enough.

Hexham and New Clee.

Death

Established Member
May I try a few? <D
  1. Located between the stomach and the colon, change at Duodenum. :razz:
    Solved: 'Twas London St. Pancr(e)as :)
  2. A place to worship the ancient Honey Wine that flows forth from the Bosum... :shock:
  3. Where would a bird keep her young? :)
Viel glückschein... <D

Last edited:

Death

Established Member
1. St Pancr(e)as?
Aye...That's correct! <D

I'll post clues for the other two if/when people seem to get stumped on 'em. 8)
As no-one's had any more guesses, I must've made 'em too cryptic. Here's a clue or two to help ye all! 8)
  1. [Already answered correctly],
  2. A well known GWR station, but not nearly as W as some of the others! :)
  3. Quite well "up there", and served night and day. Think about what the answer to the original clue sounds like. ;)
Oh, and see if ye can dig up my ALR working from last year...It might be most helpful! 8)

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nice easy one for you here...

Horses in a car

Status
Not open for further replies.