• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Northern 150/2 at Thirsk today and "Duchess of Hamilton" getting an airing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Evening all, I was wondering if anybody might be able to clarify a few things that I have witnessed on a journey from Sunderland to York today, as well as a few other related points:

While travelling on Grand Centrals' 12:28 service from Sunderland today, my train passed one of Northerns' 150/2s heading north on the slow line a little bit north of Thirsk: 150s are pretty "exotic" in Northern England beyond Skelton Junction, so I was quite surprised to see one on the "racing stretch" of the ECML.

I presume that the units' destination would be Heaton to allow some sort of work to take place, as there have been occasional occurences of 150s turning up at Heaton depot over the last few months. Can anybody confirm if this was the case, and if so, provide any details of what work is to be carried out, as well as the identity of the unit involved?

Also, I have noticed recently that quite a few class 144 workings, and even the occasional 142, have been making a reappearance on the Harrogate Circle services from York when I thought that these services were primarily in the hands of Northerns' 150s these days. Is it the case that more Pacer operated services are beginning to creep back in on the Harrogates?

Finally, does anybody know if the NRM are having something of a reshuffle of the layout of the locomotives in the Great Hall? Over the course of the last few days and weeks, I have seen a number of the exhibits that are generally ensconsed permanently within the Great Hall out in the open air: Firstly "Mallard" shortly after its' return from Shildon, and today LMS 2-6-4T 2500 was visible alongside the workshops while I also witnessed "Duchess of Hamilton" being shunted around York North Yard and quite memorably into York station by 47798, which I was extremely pleased about as it gave me the chance to see the loco in its' streamlined form for the first time. :D

On Friday afternoon I also saw 47798 and 37350 top and tailing Black Five 45407 on a shunting manouvre around Yorks' freight lines: The Black Five was in steam, so does anybody know if it had seen recent use on a railtour of some form or another?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on any of my observations!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
There was an LMS event at the NRM over the weekend, hence the various loco's outside and the York-Shildon steam shuttles.

Chris

Anvil1984

Established Member
Also, I have noticed recently that quite a few class 144 workings, and even the occasional 142, have been making a reappearance on the Harrogate Circle services from York when I thought that these services were primarily in the hands of Northerns' 150s these days. Is it the case that more Pacer operated services are beginning to creep back in on the Harrogates?

Harrogate Line is about 2/3rds 150 operated usually 2x150 and 1/3s Pacer operated on the York - Leeds services with 155 + 153 on the Leeds - Knaresborough diagrams

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It must have been an ecs move to Heaton for some reason. I have seen 142's head off up the ECMl late on a n evening, quite strange when you fly past one on a 91 after Skelton Bridge junction

Established Member
Heaton seem to be doing quite a lot of work on the Northern fleet, wonder if something isn't working somewhere else?

Also for Harrogate lopp there are a few 142/4 workings, the rest of them are 150s and there is a morning one from York which is a 158. Of course all depends on what Neville Hill has on the day to give.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Mallard recently returned from shildon that will explain that one and the LMS weekend explains the others.

Heaton seem to a bit of work so thats that one sorted too.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Mallard recently returned from shildon that will explain that one and the LMS weekend explains the others.
I did mention in the original post that I knew that "Mallard" was outside when I saw it because it had recently been returned from Shildon, but I wasn't aware at all of the LMS Weekend a few days ago until it was mentioned upthread.

Heaton seem to a bit of work so thats that one sorted too.
It's what kind of work that Heaton are carrying out that most intrigues me, though of course every little piece of the puzzle helps. :) Given that Newton Heath is meant to be the "Centre of Excellence", or whatever Northern are calling their fleet consolidation strategy, for Northerns' 150s, I wonder what special skills/equipment Heaton has that entails sending the units up there rather than doing the work at their home depot, in the same way that the 144 fleet made its' way up there about seven years ago.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It must have been an ecs move to Heaton for some reason. I have seen 142's head off up the ECMl late on a n evening, quite strange when you fly past one on a 91 after Skelton Bridge junction
Indeed; there's a couple of ECS moves for 142s up the ECML to Heaton in order to return them periodically from their duties in Yorkshire, but a 150 is alogether a bit more mysterious.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I did mention in the original post that I knew that "Mallard" was outside when I saw it because it had recently been returned from Shildon, but I wasn't aware at all of the LMS Weekend a few days ago until it was mentioned upthread.

It's what kind of work that Heaton are carrying out that most intrigues me, though of course every little piece of the puzzle helps. :) Given that Newton Heath is meant to be the "Centre of Excellence", or whatever Northern are calling their fleet consolidation strategy, for Northerns' 150s, I wonder what special skills/equipment Heaton has that entails sending the units up there rather than doing the work at their home depot, in the same way that the 144 fleet made its' way up there about seven years ago.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Indeed; there's a couple of ECS moves for 142s up the ECML to Heaton in order to return them periodically from their duties in Yorkshire, but a 150 is alogether a bit more mysterious.

sorry must of misread it

I think they just have heavier equipment for overhauls or maybe im just making stuff up.

Anvil1984

Established Member
I've seen a single 153 working to Harrogate before

They tried to give me a single 153 on Harrogate line once on a set swap from a 3 car 144 which was full, standing and 30 passengers not able to get on, long story short we compromised and control managed to find a 155 from somewhere.

The Harrogate line 158 is booked for the 0609 from Leeds and the 0757 from York as it goes into platform 2c at Leeds and then forms a Carlisle just before 1000.

Theres a daily weekday ECS turn from Knaresborough to York to Heaton (5A60) formed of 2 x 142, in return 2 units come back from Heaton but in service from Newcastle to Darlington just after 2200 then ECS to York to stable for the evening. Other ECS trips are made when necessary

Established Member
in return 2 units come back from Heaton but in service from Newcastle to Darlington just after 2200 then ECS to York to stable for the evening. Other ECS trips are made when necessary

That must be part of 2A55 - although this used to go through to Middlesbrough before the last timetable change.

Status
Not open for further replies.