• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A plea to train companies to SCRAP 'weekend first' upgrade deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
So the author entered first class on a cheap weekend first upgrade, but simultaneously wishes to ban those who do? How hypocritical. Perhaps there was an even bigger snob nearby writing an article full of disdain for a better newspaper, about academics with a sense of entitlement being in first class on cheap tickets...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
I thought he was sending himself up rather than them, but as it's in the Fail probably not. Though if we are in the business of stereotyping anyone I'd have thought that middle aged wannabe celebrities from Wilmslow would be the paper's target audience.

I think, along the lines of the Yorkshire Airlines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjJFv1NDBg , TOCs should introduce Alan Bennett class for those who just want a quiet life to observe others.

They're a weird contradiction of a publication, on the one hand heavily criticizing some alleged 'elites' while on the other completely servile towards others such as royalty, (unless it's Prince Charles). The paper has many traditional and conservative older readers and has also always sought to be popular with aspirational middle/working class females of a certain age, quite likely to include some of these Ladies of Cheshire!

We should start a petition for the Alan Bennett Class on rail, but only for TOCs covering The North.

He does have a point and it isn't snobbish.

Far too many people treat the train as an extension of their house, and then impose their shrieking, drunken laughter, loud phone conversations and smelly food on everyone else. It's antisocial, inconsiderate and rude.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Far too many people treat the train as an extension of their house, and then impose their shrieking, drunken laughter, loud phone conversations and smelly food on everyone else. It's antisocial, inconsiderate and rude.

To be fair, the railway companies make a fair bit of dosh selling smelly food to people, so why shouldn't they enjoy it ?

I for one would prefer someone to bring on a lovely aromatic chicken madras, than those vile smelling cream cheese and chive pringles which seem to be on sale at railway outlets.

fowler9

Established Member
I thought it was mildly amusing. If the author was actually being serious though then perhaps he would agree with getting rid of weekend first and making up for the loss of revenue by everyone traveling first at the weekend paying a hell of a lot more.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When I saw "journalist", "Wilmslow" and "first class" I assumed it would be something to do with George Osborne.

Trainfan344

Established Member
How could you have possibly have done this without getting right down to the bottom of the story that contained the link? Telling fibs are we?;)

By using a laptop, and looking for the source of the quote. I don't tell fibs, I'm not the daily mail...

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is the most Daily Mail thing I have ever seen in my life. It's read exclusively by airheads incapable of thinking for themselves so Paul Dacre has to come up with their opinions for them :p

I think many have failed to see this was a humour piece. Lighten up!

Judging by his reputation, OP is one of these people :p

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member

But surely that's equally irritating whether in First or Standard?

Michael.Y

Established Member
If weekend first didn't exist, especially on the Western Region, there would be no room whatever in standard class for anyone. First is f&s on Saturdays on GWR, so it serves a useful, necessary purpose.

As for the type of clientele who use it, that's public transport for you. The worst offenders in 1stC are actually more likely to be the wealthier, snobbier, business-class moneyed buzzword-spouting laptop-carrying iPhone-tapping yobbos who are ruining this country day in day out in city firms and other non-important-entities.

GodAtum

On Moderation
This is the most Daily Mail thing I have ever seen in my life. It's read exclusively by airheads incapable of thinking for themselves so Paul Dacre has to come up with their opinions for them :p

Judging by his reputation, OP is one of these people :p

yep :lol:

Sleepy

Established Member
You should see the type of pax on AGA 1st class Advance tickets at the weekend , for the extra £4 over the Standard ticket price most of them seem to have an eat your own weight in complimentary crisps and biscuits competition !! :lol: The carpets could with a good hoovering after some trips....... :roll:

Jordeh

The worst offenders in 1stC are actually more likely to be the wealthier, snobbier, business-class moneyed buzzword-spouting laptop-carrying iPhone-tapping yobbos who are ruining this country day in day out in city firms and other non-important-entities.
Aren't they buzzwords?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You should see the type of pax on AGA 1st class Advance tickets at the weekend , for the extra £4 over the Standard ticket price most of them seem to have an eat your own weight in complimentary crisps and biscuits competition !! :lol: The carpets could with a good hoovering after some trips....... :roll:

Guilty as charged !

HH

Established Member
Stockard Channing is an American actress who was in Grease She also played the President's wife in " The West Wing" to Martin Sheen's president.

Grease? West Wing? Sounds like fowl play. Are you goosing me?

And there was I doing my best "High Court Judge" impression. ;)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
GodAtum said:
train travel at the weekend is purgatory. We do not want to be distracted by drifts of lads drinking from cans, under-sexed hen parties and families with free-range children. Even though I would find a 1st class upgrade useful, I'd rather pay the a 1st ticket before hand to stop this thing of happening
You do seem to have a rather unhealthy obsession with First Class; it's all you ever seem to post about. God forbid that the peasants only paying £50 rather than a £200,000,000 season ticket come anywhere near you.

'Free-range children'? 'Train travel is purgatory'? 'Drifts of lads'? You are free to use an alternative method of travel if having to share a train with the underclass annoys you.

TheEdge

Established Member
You do seem to have a rather unhealthy obsession with First Class; it's all you ever seem to post about. God forbid that the peasants only paying £50 rather than a £200,000,000 season ticket come anywhere near you.

'Free-range children'? 'Train travel is purgatory'? 'Drifts of lads'? You are free to use an alternative method of travel if having to share a train with the underclass annoys you.

Well what is one meant to use when the Maybach is in the workshop?

Fuzzytop

I've never been particularly fond of the current method of Weekend First, but for completely different reasons to the Daily Fail article above. To take my nearest WEF operator, VTEC, as an example:

1. VTEC are able to explain away the reduction in complimentary goodies (no alcohol or Coke, no morning papers, nothing other than prepackaged sandwiches) on the presence of Weekend First. This reduction can be disappointing to those accustomed to the often very decent weekday service, but is cause for complaint by those who try it out after seeing the flashy ads of curry and beer.

2. VTEC demand those who upgrading to do so on board, and only on board. This undermines the general policy that tickets and excess are to be purchased before boarding. Naturally, as such policy is not applied evenly across all days or by all TOCs, this leads to confusion among passengers who want to upgrade on weekdays or non-partaking TOCs and are presented with a massive bill or Penalty Fare in extreme cases.

Given the lower demand and higher staffing costs for First provision on weekends, I can understand a Weekend First scheme must be a financially attractive proposition among TOCs (as well as freeing up seats in Standard). But to me it just seems like a bit of a cop-out...

BestWestern

Established Member
I've never been particularly fond of the current method of Weekend First, but for completely different reasons to the Daily Fail article above. To take my nearest WEF operator, VTEC, as an example:

1. VTEC are able to explain away the reduction in complimentary goodies (no alcohol or Coke, no morning papers, nothing other than prepackaged sandwiches) on the presence of Weekend First. This reduction can be disappointing to those accustomed to the often very decent weekday service, but is cause for complaint by those who try it out after seeing the flashy ads of curry and beer.

Well that's because it's dirt cheap, isn't it! You don't really expect to pay twenty quid for an upgrade and then drink the same in free booze, do you?!

First Class accommodation largely sits empty at weekends. It is aimed squarely at the business market, and the majority of those commuters aren't out there commuting on saturdays and sundays. There is a choice between continuing to charge the full whack and having the carriages running around full of fresh air, or developing a suitable prouct to attract the leisure market. It makes a lot of sense. The number of genuine FC ticket holders who are somehow being let down, is very small indeed.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I am rather fond of Weekend First it must be said, mainly because I usually cant afford to go first during the week so the chance of a few free coffees and maybe a sarny or too, both of which Id have bought anyway plus a super cumfy seat, piece and quiet on heavily loaded services and some WiFi is hard to resist if the offer is right, the money available and more so if Standard is packed. Its a great product and long may it last.

rmt4ever

Bless you, must be tough being in the same carriage as some "lads drinking from cans" or "under-sexed hen parties" :lol:

*grabs a bucket of popcorn*

How did your speech about the history of knives go anyhow?

Lol !!!!!!!

me123

Established Member
First Class accommodation largely sits empty at weekends. It is aimed squarely at the business market, and the majority of those commuters aren't out there commuting on saturdays and sundays. There is a choice between continuing to charge the full whack and having the carriages running around full of fresh air, or developing a suitable prouct to attract the leisure market. It makes a lot of sense. The number of genuine FC ticket holders who are somehow being let down, is very small indeed.

This is perfectly true. It's all about the economics of FC. During the week it's predominantly suits on business trips, many of which will be paid for by their companies (I think I'm the only person in my FC carriage at the moment who isn't wearing a suit!). These people don't travel at the weekend, and the market is aimed more at leisure pax with a bit of cash to burn who want to treat themselves.

The current set up caters to that quite well. During the week, the business travellers pay and get the full service - they're happy and the TOC makes profit. At the weekend, that service would not turn a profit but the service aimed at leisure travellers does.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Oh I love self-proclaimed etiquette expert William Hanson.

His review of British Airways premium economy was a joy to behold. I actually think he was being serious, too.

I refuse to apologise that I usually am fortunate enough to fly comfortably in business or first class when on a long-haul flight.

Often working just hours after stepping off a plane in China, India or Saudi Arabia means it really does pay to be travelling at the front of the aeroplane.

But, for quasi-anthropological reasons, and in a vain attempt to keep myself grounded, on my recent sojourn I decided I’d brave it and fly premium economy. Or as British Airways would have us call it ‘World Traveller Plus’.

We all know air travel isn’t what it once was. The glamour and verve it used to have in its hey-day has well been quashed.

Even first and business (sorry, ‘Club World’) have rough edges that would make Concorde’s former staff wince.

I was flying to Shanghai, which is a 10-hour outbound flight and 12-hour return. I prayed I would cope with premium economy.

Having just updated my full catalogue of medical vaccinations I felt it was the right time for this adventure.

Upon arrival at the airport I made a beeline for the terminal map to ensure I didn’t end up walking through the ‘turning left’ queue by default.

What would be more embarrassing for my Bond-esque mission than falling at the first hurdle?

Now, I am not stupid.

I usually travel in a jacket, but I rightly guessed that the cabin crew attending to the premium economy passengers may not have the space or time to be able to hang and care for the jacket during the flight so it didn’t crease. I wasn’t going to risk suffocating the delicate threads in a sweaty overhead locker, thank you very much.

I dressed down. I had Googled pictures of the premium economy cabin and its inhabitants in advance to ascertain the sartorial form.

Thus, ladies and gentleman, I wore denim and, somewhat confusingly, a sports shoe.

I wanted to burst into a light jog around the airport due to how relaxed and breathable my feet now felt.

Although my frequent flyer miles mean I can access the nicer lounges I felt I should do this properly and resist.

It was the first time I’d properly studied Heathrow’s newest edifice.

Really, Terminal 5 is just one big high-vis, glassy orgy.

There are some nice enough shops and restaurants, catering for the middle market, notably Gordon Ramsay’s Plane Food, which lived up to its name.

Once onboard I did the walk of shame straight through the Club World cabin to find seat 23D in premium economy.

I thought I may have gone too far and ventured into economy but having popped my head through into the next portion of the plane I realised that people did have it worse than me. I said a little prayer for them.

Before takeoff we were presented with the menu.

It didn’t look too bad. We’d start with something called ‘char siu pork with kao fu’ (I assumed the typist had a sticky keyboard that day) before moving onto ‘pan-fried fillet of beef with red wine jus, potatoes au gratin, baby carrots and asparagus’ and then ending with the increasingly prolific ‘opera cake with vanilla sauce’ and cheese and biscuits.

In business (pictured) or first class, passengers can have their steak cooked to their liking

After takeoff the drinks trolley came.

I had to pour my own wine. (The whole journey was an interesting assessment in seeing what perks are taken away due to the lesser price of the airfare.)

And then, in media res, something bizarre happened. One of the cabin crew decided to change from her kitten heels into her ‘practical shoes’, quite boldly in the aisle for all to see.

I checked if the in-flight entertainment was broken, which may have explained this demi-comedy, but it was not.

The meal service shortly followed. I was genuinely looking forward to my beef.

Upon ordering (the other option was cod) I asked the stewardess, quite normally, if it could please come medium rare. She laughed.

The food tray (plastic) arrived. For those, like me, wondering what exactly ‘char siu pork with kao fu’ is, I am afraid, having eaten it, the mystery lingers.

The beef was nowhere near medium rare and my baby carrots were in close competition with the asparagus as to which could be soggier.

Opera cake was more Gilbert and Sullivan than Monteverdi, although the nicest part of the meal.

The over advertised ‘cheese and biscuits’ was nothing more than some miniature crackers and something called a ‘Baby Bell’.

In conclusion, you can’t polish a turd but you can call it World Traveller Plus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...behave-premium-economy-usually-turn-left.html

HH

Established Member
Sorry, but while the guy is snobbish and a bit of a prat, he is also quite amusing. I'm sure that lots of people who fancy themselves as being 'posh', but don't have the cash to match their tastes, would think what he writes. I'm not sure whether he is a genuine snob, gently self-mocking or actually a donning completely false persona; it feels to me more towards the middle of that spectrum, but I could be wrong. In any case, it's nicely observed; people shouldn't get too hung up about it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Parody or not, there are sadly people very much like the ones portrayed in these pieces. A few months ago we encountered just such people travelling back to Leeds in 1st on a TPE from Warrington. Having taken our correct seats there we travelled on towards Manchester Picc, where a couple boarded and queried why we were sitting in "their" seats. I asked them politely if they were sure they had the correct seats and indeed train as quite clearly our tickets and the reservation cards showed that we were indeed in the correct place. The lady then began to argue that our tickets were for two aisle tickets as opposed to the two window seats we were booked in. I offered to load up the TPE seat plan from their website to display how the seats were numbered, to which she just muttered that she would be complaining to the guard to have "our kind" thrown off the train. Needless to say when the guard arrived and confirmed that we were indeed in the correct seats, and that they had the aisle seats she told the guard she would be writing to TPE and her MP because it was a disgrace that having asked for window seats they weren't allocated any (the carriage was full from Manchester) and why had TPE allowed people like "them" (referring to my wife an I) were allowed to book first class at all.

Then followed an uncomfortable 50 mins back to Leeds as this lady continued to glare at us (when she thought we were not looking), and continually moaned to her husband how it was disgraceful, she had booked first class and expected to be treated accordingly and not be surrounded by "other types of people" (her words). We had it all on not to say something back, but as I explained to my wife later any kind of altercation would mean hassle for the guard who was already stressed by the issues caused by a late running service and the usual moans & groans from other passengers.

To top everything off, as we went to detrain at Leeds I heard this lady say to her husband that she was in mind to call the Police for our behaviour (we had tried to explain the situation nicely to her, and then said nothing more!), to which another passenger swung around from the seats behind and said in no uncertain terms that there was nothing wrong with us and that the only problem was her! But the best was yet to come as moments later the couple could be seen having what appeared to be an argument, the husband clearly looking embarrassed & pointing at the seat numbers whilst clearly she was having none of whatever point he was making! Other passengers who had remained on seemed to be laughing at this situation!

My wife and I always use first class when travelling to Cheshire to visit my family as we are able to take advantage of the Two Together card we have to get 30% off. Whilst not being particularly middle class, we are respectable, quiet and although we do enjoy a glass or two of wine en route make sure we do nothing that might upset any other passengers. From the way she treat us it was clear this particular lady expected nothing but British Airways First Class passengers. A real snob I'm afraid, and one that made what should have been a pleasant journey into a very uncomfortable one, not just for us but for the whole carriage.

al78

Established Member
Parody or not, there are sadly people very much like the ones portrayed in these pieces. A few months ago we encountered just such people travelling back to Leeds in 1st on a TPE from Warrington. Having taken our correct seats there we travelled on towards Manchester Picc, where a couple boarded and queried why we were sitting in "their" seats. I asked them politely if they were sure they had the correct seats and indeed train as quite clearly our tickets and the reservation cards showed that we were indeed in the correct place. The lady then began to argue that our tickets were for two aisle tickets as opposed to the two window seats we were booked in. I offered to load up the TPE seat plan from their website to display how the seats were numbered, to which she just muttered that she would be complaining to the guard to have "our kind" thrown off the train. Needless to say when the guard arrived and confirmed that we were indeed in the correct seats, and that they had the aisle seats she told the guard she would be writing to TPE and her MP because it was a disgrace that having asked for window seats they weren't allocated any (the carriage was full from Manchester) and why had TPE allowed people like "them" (referring to my wife an I) were allowed to book first class at all.

Then followed an uncomfortable 50 mins back to Leeds as this lady continued to glare at us (when she thought we were not looking), and continually moaned to her husband how it was disgraceful, she had booked first class and expected to be treated accordingly and not be surrounded by "other types of people" (her words). We had it all on not to say something back, but as I explained to my wife later any kind of altercation would mean hassle for the guard who was already stressed by the issues caused by a late running service and the usual moans & groans from other passengers.

To top everything off, as we went to detrain at Leeds I heard this lady say to her husband that she was in mind to call the Police for our behaviour (we had tried to explain the situation nicely to her, and then said nothing more!), to which another passenger swung around from the seats behind and said in no uncertain terms that there was nothing wrong with us and that the only problem was her! But the best was yet to come as moments later the couple could be seen having what appeared to be an argument, the husband clearly looking embarrassed & pointing at the seat numbers whilst clearly she was having none of whatever point he was making! Other passengers who had remained on seemed to be laughing at this situation!

My wife and I always use first class when travelling to Cheshire to visit my family as we are able to take advantage of the Two Together card we have to get 30% off. Whilst not being particularly middle class, we are respectable, quiet and although we do enjoy a glass or two of wine en route make sure we do nothing that might upset any other passengers. From the way she treat us it was clear this particular lady expected nothing but British Airways First Class passengers. A real snob I'm afraid, and one that made what should have been a pleasant journey into a very uncomfortable one, not just for us but for the whole carriage.

Slap her in the face, that would have given her something genuinely worth moaning about.

Or, tell her to STFU in a loud enough voice that the entire carriage can hear. nothing like public humiliation to take the wind out of a gob****e.
<D

Status
Not open for further replies.