• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A pronunciation question Optare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
I've always said Opt-ar! What does it actually mean anyway? Like where did they get that name from?

starrymarkb

Established Member
I've always said Opt-ar! What does it actually mean anyway? Like where did they get that name from?

Its an anagram of Pat Roe - Optare was founded by employees of the Charles H. Roe Ltd Factory after it was closed by Leyland

Oracle

Established Member
Dew-pul I think! They were initally, in the 1920s in The Hyde, Edgware Road, Hendon, NW9, just along from General Motors Ltd. I have a few old photos of coaches outside their works with DUPLE MOTORS AND BODIES LIMITED signage.

gnolife

Established Member
A local variant on pronouncing 'Optare' on it is 'oh S**t!' when they (Solos) turn up on the early evening 383/4 runs (Stockport-Romiley-Marple-Offerton circulars).

On a more serious note, i tend to say it op-tarr

MCR247

Established Member
Optar?! What a load of rubish! :lol:

Optair ftw! That is unless you are actually on about their buses, when it certainly isn't optare ftw :|

WestCoast

Established Member
It's Opt-air, but Opt-ar seems fine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Optar?! What a load of rubish! :lol:

Pronunciation can be murky waters, even when it comes to brand names. Do you run a baath, barrth or a bahhth e.t.c e.t.c....

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
On a transport-ish theme, how do you pronounce Thales?? My French colleague says Tal-ess, but I guess that's the French pronunciation (well they are French..!), but how is it spoken over here? "Thayles"?

EDIT - Their Wiki page says

The company is pronounced [taˈlɛs] !

MCR247

Established Member
It's Opt-air, but Opt-ar seems fine.

Pronunciation can be murky waters, even when it comes to brand names. Do you run a baath, barrth or a bahhth e.t.c e.t.c....

Argh it just annoys me though. Things like Bombardier you can understand, even Bath to a point.

But how on earth do you get optar from optare, or are we just randomly missings the 'e' off words now?!?!

mirodo

Argh it just annoys me though. Things like Bombardier you can understand, even Bath to a point.

But how on earth do you get optar from optare, or are we just randomly missings the 'e' off words now?!?!

Depends if you see it as op-tare or opt-are I guess.

MCR247

Established Member
Oh yeah, didn't see it as opt-are, just thought people saw it as opt-ar

Oracle

Established Member
Joseph-Armand Bombardier was a French-Canadian who was initialy famous for his snowmobiles that he designed pre-war. Hence 'Bom-bard-ee-yah'. The corporation that carries his name has as much to do with him as Korean-built Chevrolet cars to Swiss-born Louis Chevrolet!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given the build quality, I'd go with 'Oh-dear'.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Eagle

Established Member
And while we're on the subject, the Siemens train range is "de-ZEE-ro", not "de-ZY-ro".

And the Saab-owned truck and bus manufacturer is "SCAY-nee-a" in English, like the region of Sweden. (Although in other languages "SCAA-nee-a" is correct, the company uses the anglicized pronunciation in English-language media.)

BestWestern

Established Member
What do we all think about the Ford KA?! I always assumed that it was pronounced simply "car", hence it is a car and thus a fairly straightforward, if slightly daft name. But it appears that actually "K A", spoken as two separate characters, is 'correct'. Is it only me who thinks that sort of defeats the point?!

Schnellzug

Established Member
And while we're on the subject, the Siemens train range is "de-ZEE-ro", not "de-ZY-ro".

And the Saab-owned truck and bus manufacturer is "SCAY-nee-a" in English, like the region of Sweden. (Although in other languages "SCAA-nee-a" is correct, the company uses the anglicized pronunciation in English-language media.)

is it really? They'll be telling that it's Volveau with an Inspector Clouseau accent next. I've always called it Scanya, and I shall continue to do so.

Eagle

Established Member
What do we all think about the Ford KA?! I always assumed that it was pronounced simply "car", hence it is a car and thus a fairly straightforward, if slightly daft name. But it appears that actually "K A", spoken as two separate characters, is 'correct'. Is it only me who thinks that sort of defeats the point?!

It's "kah" (if you're from somewhere where you still pronounce the r's on the end of words, that's meaningfully distinct from "car").
I've always called it Scanya, and I shall continue to do so.

Bearing in mind that Scania is a preexisting word in English, rhyming with mania, and not a Swedish word (thy call the region Skåne, rhymes with English fauna). As I say, it's how the company itself pronounces it in English media.

Then again 'bombardier' is a preexisting word, rhymes with mountaineer, so it's hardly an argument :P

Ivo

Established Member

How you do think I feel living in Bath? I say "Barth"; most say "Baath" or "Bahth" - and some, including most from Bristol, say "Bahff"!

I had to ask the school I'm helping at if I'm likely to encounter any problems saying it this way :shock:

I always thought it was was "SCAA-nee-a" (as you write it) too. I shall remember this!

pdq

So it should have a long a, rather than Scan-yuh? As we're in the realms of trucks, lhow about Iveco? I'd always reckoned eye-VEK-oh, but my 6 year old son saw it and said IVV-uh-coh (where uh is that nondescript vowel shown in dictionaries as an upsidedown e.)

BestWestern

Established Member
How about Ikea? A fairly simple one you'd think, most people myself included opt for "eye-kee-ah", but I have an aunt who insists on "i-kee-ah". I think it sounds stupid, but perhaps she knows best?!

jon0844

Veteran Member
There is also ih-kay-ah as I heard a lot in Sweden.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.