• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

pdeaves

Established Member
Been a rash of calls from this ostensibly Sheffield based number.

Wonder just how many of the call centre operatives in Bangalore (or wherever this particular one is actually based) actually know that they are participating in a scam, or naively think they are legitimately employed?
Therein lies a problem. If the person who calls is a scammer, they deserve a piece of your mind (in whatever form that takes). Conversely, if the person who calls believes they are doing a genuine job, it's only their 'seniors' that are the scammers and they deserve respectful reeducation. However, you and I as recipients have no way of knowing which it is!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Wonder just how many of the call centre operatives in Bangalore (or wherever this particular one is actually based) actually know that they are participating in a scam, or naively think they are legitimately employed?
The frontline guys more than likely know that there's something slightly off, but I doubt many of them realise they're involved in actual criminal activity. There's probably not much difference in the script or the 'customer' response between things like the HMRC scam and cold-calling sales.

Trackman

Established Member
I've had new one in the last couple of days, Carphone Warehouse. Numbers blocked since.

najaB

Veteran Member
Are there any other crimes that people say are impossible to stop, because the police forces use of technology is less superior to those of the global criminal fraternity.
Generally speaking, cybercrime is very difficult to stop because by the time the victim realises something is wrong the perpetrators have disappeared into the 'ether'. Notable examples include the Carbanak attack - the alleged ringleader has been caught but by some estimates there is over a billion dollars missing and he's refused (or is unable) to tell authorities where it is.

The Guardian has a relevant story today giving some more detail on missed delivery scams:

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was told today by a recorded voice from 'Amazon' that I had purchased a new iPhone for $399, and that if that was not correct to press 1 etc. I suppose that is easier than logging on my Amazon account to check ;)

I have just had the very same call with the American female voice being used. Left the usual 10 seconds without saying anything then the call was terminated by them. BT 1572 says the call number was not recognised.

PeterC

Established Member
I've had new one in the last couple of days, Carphone Warehouse. Numbers blocked since.
Had a few of those to my mobile, different number each time.

It did prove that my phone company has improved coverage, I couldn't receive calls inside the house at until these started arriving.

baz962

Established Member
I had a new one today. An email saying that the authorities combined , FBI , IMF and others had caught scammers from Africa , Spain and a couple of other countries. It said to send id and other documents if I had been a victim of a scam to receive 3.3 million dollars , but if I hadn't been a victim of a scam to delete the email.

Turtle

I have just had the very same call with the American female voice being used. Left the usual 10 seconds without saying anything then the call was terminated by them. BT 1572 says the call number was not recognised.
I've had a couple of those call in one day. The odd thing is that the recording is rather weak and difficult to hear which rather negates its purpose.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
BBC article about some arrests being made in a Royal Mail parcel delivery scam:

A very small tip of the iceberg of course.

Well I had a "Royal Mail" text not one hour ago so clearly they haven't completely stopped (if it ever will: these texts were commonplace even pre-COVID).

stantheman

On Moderation
Bombarded just now with calls from Amazon ...supposedly . I block one number but they just appear again from another ...what can you do

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Bombarded just now with calls from Amazon ...supposedly . I block one number but they just appear again from another ...what can you do

Arrange your phone so that only numbers in your list of contacts can get through - all other numbers just go automatically to voicemail and you have to look in your call logs as to whether anything unknown to you has called you. I think you can allow withheld numbers to call you along with those in your list of contacts (medical often call on withheld number so probably a good idea to keep these exempt).

cav1975

...... BT 1572 says the call number was not recognised.
I don't understand why BT and the mobile operators can't screen all calls and block the ones from numbers that aren't recognised. After all, if I dial a real number it gets through so the phone system can understand the difference.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't understand why BT and the mobile operators can't screen all calls and block the ones from numbers that aren't recognised.
Because the presentation number for legitimate calls can be invalid/unrecognised.

Established Member
We moved a few weeks ago, new phone number, and so far the scammers don't have it on their lists. But over the years I've received most of the scam calls earlier posts have described.

There was some discussion earlier about the sort of people who make these calls, and whether they fully understand that they are taking part in dishonesty and theft. A few years ago there was a report about somebody who somehow, and illegally, had managed to install a secret camera in the offices used by a group of scammers somewhere in India. Footage he had recorded eventually led to the imprisonment of the ringleader. Extracts from the footage showed that the people involved in this operation knew precisely what they were up to.

But there are others who possibly don't realise what they are doing. I've pressed the button they tell me to press if I don't want my internet account to be switched off (because of "suspicious activity"), and been put through to a woman who sounds as if she's at home surrounded by young children. Her job is to connect me to a man who attempts to persuade me to let him take control of my computer. People like her may not know exactly what's going on; they probably don't get paid much for it, either.

There are plenty of UK-based scammers as well. A newspaper article a few years back reported on people mostly in their twenties who worked on investment scams. They pretended to themselves (if they worried about it at all), that their victims were rich or greedy or had probably made their money by cheating others, so it was OK to cheat them.

The problem is that many of these scams seem plausible the first time you hear them. You get to know that Microsoft, Windows and BT Technical Departments are fictional, but then someone comes up with another ingenious line and some people fall for it.

These activities are now so widespread that the police and others are largely overwhelmed, but it seems to me that action could be taken more quickly in many cases. Not all the numbers they call from are spoofed, and it should be possible to track down the owners of the phones or who rents the line. When they've set up an email account or a fake website those things also ought to be traceable. If the people directly involved were quickly clobbered it might deter others. Understandably, the authorities would like to get the Mr. Bigs of these operations, and occasionally they do, but in the meantime the smaller fry may have cheated thousands.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
But there are others who possibly don't realise what they are doing. I've pressed the button they tell me to press if I don't want my internet account to be switched off (because of "suspicious activity"), and been put through to a woman who sounds as if she's at home surrounded by young children. Her job is to connect me to a man who attempts to persuade me to let him take control of my computer. People like her may not know exactly what's going on; they probably don't get paid much for it, either.
It's not exactly professional to have young children around, but this sometimes does happen when people are quite legitimately working from home, especially over the last year with the pandemic. I had been working from home for a long time before Covid came along and, while myself and colleagues were under strict instructions to make sure that the rooms we're working from are as quiet and as far away from general domestic activity as possible, it was quite clear from the background noises heard during online training classes that some people didn't take this as seriously as others.

Quite often when I was working a few of my customers were suspicious because there was no background noise at all when they'd usually expect to hear general call-centre noise.

John Webb

Established Member

Arrange your phone so that only numbers in your list of contacts can get through - all other numbers just go automatically to voicemail and you have to look in your call logs as to whether anything unknown to you has called you. I think you can allow withheld numbers to call you along with those in your list of contacts (medical often call on withheld number so probably a good idea to keep these exempt).
There are a number of handsets available on the market in which 'Call Guardian*' has been incorporated. You load it up with the list of numbers and names of people and companies you are happy to speak with, and when they ring they get straight through. Any unlisted caller is invited to announce themselves and await your decision to speak to them. This eliminates the 'auto-dial' calls as the auto-dialler can't speak. The handsets tell you that a call has been received and the number it came from and gives you the option of blocking it.

In the three years since I got mine, out of many hundreds of unwanted calls only on two occasions did someone at the other end actually announce themselves and got through to me - but not for long!

(* 'Call Guardian' is often tagged as a BT product. But handsets with it will work with any telephone system provided it can supply the standard call identification protocol.)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not had any strange calls of late, but exactly at 1720 hours yesterday and today, I answered calls which hung up immediately. Yesterday's call was from the Shepton Mallet exchange and today's call was from the South Shields exchange. Strange that both calls were made at exactly the same time.

Established Member
Not had any strange calls of late, but exactly at 1720 hours yesterday and today, I answered calls which hung up immediately. Yesterday's call was from the Shepton Mallet exchange and today's call was from the South Shields exchange. Strange that both calls were made at exactly the same time.
Quite possibly using number-spoofing technology. They may be using a program to ring many numbers and someone else had answered by the time you picked up your receiver.

oldman

i don't know if this is new (it's a long thread), but I have just had one where they had spoofed a number in my own local exchange. This is really annoying - I usally ignore unrecognised numbers but I would be reluctant to ignore what could be a neighbour calling.

(It was Amazon telling me about an Iphone 7 being on its way.)

John Webb

Established Member
i don't know if this is new (it's a long thread), but I have just had one where they had spoofed a number in my own local exchange. This is really annoying - I usally ignore unrecognised numbers but I would be reluctant to ignore what could be a neighbour calling.

(It was Amazon telling me about an Iphone 7 being on its way.)
I've had a couple of calls over the years where the area codes were either my own exchange or a nearby one. Often can be sorted out by checking the rest of the number - both started with numbers I was aware were not yet in use in the exchange areas.
Last week I had calls on successive days at the same time, apparently one from a mobile number and one from Shepton Mallet! So sounds like the same bunch of crooks!

I get calls both with my landline dialling code, and also my mobile 'dialling code'. I answer both, as the landline may be someone local trying to speak to me, and the mobile ones out of curiosity.

najaB

Veteran Member
This has probably been mentioned up-thread, but just in case it hasn't (and there's not harm in repeating it)... If you receive a text that you think is a scam, you should forward it to 7726:
Reporting suspicious messages
The message might be from a company you don’t normally receive communications from, or someone you do not know. You may just have a hunch. If you are suspicious, you should report it. By doing so you'll be helping to protect many more people from being affected.

Email
If you have received an email which you’re not quite sure about, forward it to the Suspicious Email Reporting Service (SERS) at [email protected]

Text message
Suspicious text messages should be forwarded to 7726. This free-of-charge short code enables your provider to investigate the origin of the text and take action, if found to be malicious.
From: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions#section_2

Edit: Something that they don't say in the guidance above: if you're able to, it's much more useful to forward the original email as an attachment which will preserve the email headers. The headers provide a wealth of infomation that makes it easier to track down the real sender of the message.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A neighbour received an email that on his pre-view index said it was from "Costermer Services", the subject matter being shaving items. Of course, the word "Costermer" rang alarm bells and he said he has the BT email system that allows you to both call it spam and to block the sender.