• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A TPE Class 802 got up to 145mph - A record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codek

Gareth Dennis mentioned that tpe pushed the 802 up to 148mph? in the last week or so. Hence stealing the crown for fastest non high speed rail service in UK? (Altho didn't hst do 153?)

Curiously not seen this anywhere in the press. Supposedly it was a mistake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Gareth Dennis mentioned that tpe pushed the 802 up to 148mph? in the last week or so. Hence stealing the crown for fastest non high speed rail service in UK? (Altho didn't hst do 153?)

43102/159 did 148.5mph.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

It was a mistake (the speed limiter wasn’t set) and it was reported as 145mph. An 800 series did a test run some time ago and that reached 148mph, which is reputed to be the record for the class.

Erniescooper

Would that be a mistake in an individual train or the software for the speed limiter not being enabled when the driver put the speed set at 145 mph by mistake?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It might not be the fastest non-HS1 train in the UK but I wonder if it isn't the fastest a service train has ever gone with just random members of the public onboard. All the various other high speed runs were special events (i.e. invitation only and/or specially arranged with shorter formations, special instructions to signallers, etc) or test runs weren't they? Rather than just being another of the many trains that ply their way between York and Newcastle?

DB

It was a mistake (the speed limiter wasn’t set) and it was reported as 145mph. An 800 series did a test run some time ago and that reached 148mph, which is reputed to be the record for the class.

Under electric in both cases, I assume?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

A shortened IC225 set achieved 162mph on Stoke Bank in 1989.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A shortened IC225 set achieved 162mph on Stoke Bank in 1989.
The same speed the APT-P achieved.

Some mistake, I'd have thought the driver would notice once speed went over 130-ish as surely they should be periodically checking the actual speed as opposed to setting the limiter and just assuming that's correct/functioning properly?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Out of interest, where is this supposed to have taken place? On the ECML towards Peterborough I presume?
TPE i.e. Transpennine Express 802 ;)

I'm of the impression it was on the race track between York and Northallerton.

fgwrich

Established Member
TPE i.e. Transpennine Express 802 ;)

I'm of the impression it was on the race track between York and Northallerton.

Fair enough, I hadn't realised they could reach those linseeds north of York.

Ah, but it doesn't stop them though moving them around though, we've had TPE in Eastleigh and GWR in Glasgow ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Fair enough, I hadn't realised they could reach those linseeds north of York.
Pretty much all the way just outside of York to Northallerton station is a flat and straight four track railway perfect for cruising at high speeds.

I heard about this at the time the incident happened, was a couple of weeks ago now. From what I was told the speed limiter was set for 125 but at some point after Thirsk failed. How true this is though I don't know

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I heard about this at the time the incident happened, was a couple of weeks ago now. From what I was told the speed limiter was set for 125 but at some point after Thirsk failed. How true this is though I don't know
I believe it's actually set at 200km/h so 124mph but I'm not sure if that's correct or not, I've seen it mentioned a few times though

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Was it late and making up time? Has anybody got a RTT link? Be interesting to see the timing points.

Darandio

Established Member

Assuming you are paraphasing this from the video, it isn't actually what was said.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has anybody got a RTT link?

It was some weeks ago now so the data will have dropped off of RTT. It won't have been that illuminating though I imagine as 145 versus 125 won't save that much time over a fairly short distance.

Crossover

Established Member
Would this be an operational incident for the crew concerned?

It was some weeks ago now so the data will have dropped off of RTT. It won't have been that illuminating though I imagine as 145 versus 125 won't save that much time over a fairly short distance.

It will be on there, but would need a bit of digging

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I wonder whether anybody was videoing by that stretch of line given it occurred several weeks ago before national lockdown 2. 145 would look mighty impressive on a non HS stretch.

As stated, it was accidental. Speeding to make up time is not allowed.

Maybe not in the UK but a Schaffner (train guard) on an ICE1 between Nürnberg and München only a couple of years ago told me that ICE1 do 250km/h on the NUE-Ingolstadt high-speed line in normal service however "they may do 280 in case of making up delay" (my German is very nearly native level so I haven't misinterpreted!)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Maybe not in the UK but a Schaffner (train guard) on an ICE1 between Nürnberg and München only a couple of years ago told me that ICE1 do 250km/h on the NUE-Ingolstadt high-speed line in normal service however "they may do 280 in case of making up delay" (my German is very nearly native level so I haven't misinterpreted!)

Theres a big difference between, the service is timed for 250kmph on a line that is cleared for 280kmph, and the service is timed for 250kmph on a line with a maximum of 250kmph, but if they are late drivers do 280kmph anyway...

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Theres a big difference between, the service is timed for 250kmph on a line that is cleared for 280kmph, and the service is timed for 250kmph on a line with a maximum of 250kmph, but if they are late drivers do 280kmph anyway...

same as HS1 where the Javelins are timetabled at a lower speed than their maximum speed

AlexNL

Established Member
What surprises me most about this incident is that there is apparently no overspeed protection on the class 80x software when the train is not running under continuous supervision (ATP or ETCS). I would've expected a modern train to apply a service brake when it would reach, say, 129mph under AWS/TPWS.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I wonder whether anybody was videoing by that stretch of line given it occurred several weeks ago before national lockdown 2. 145 would look mighty impressive on a non HS stretch.

same as HS1 where the Javelins are timetabled at a lower speed than their maximum speed

Standard high speed line operation, where trains are timed at line speed minus 5% for performance recovery (a bigger margin is used in Germany)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have heard similar about ICE 3 being allowed 330 to make up time, so I'm sure it is possible is permitted in Germany in certain circumstances at least on high speed lines, though they'd have to have a means of adjusting the can signalling to allow for such otherwise it would trip everytime.

But such is not allowed in the UK, as many drivers have posted in the past while there is some tolerance if it is found that drivers are routinely exceeding the speed limits they will be up for a meeting with "tea and no biscuits" ;). Some more modern fleets will even give the game up themselves - Class 185s for example will send a text message if the overspeed threshold is reached (103mph)!

Status
Not open for further replies.