• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A train that thinks it's Beethoven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

Established Member
Hail all! <D
I came across the following YouTube video the other day, and it only just occurred to me to share it on here as well! (Well, after Joe advised me to do so via Facebook! 8))

Anyhow; The following vid shows an Austrian class 1116 moving off. Listen carefully to the sound of the loco (From about 0:24 onwards) as it does so... :D

[youtube]d3cdL-HkfIU[/youtube]​

Now, that's what I call an argument in favour of AC traction...And it's very pleasing to the ear too, IMO! <D
>> Death <<

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I wonder how many times people will post videos of Taurus locos because of the noise they make :lol:

Personally, I don't like the noise, I find it really grating, and the pitch it ends on I really dislike :P

Death

Established Member
Ahh...Apologies to the Mods for dumping it in the wrong place. As it was a discussion on an amusing quirk of the locomotive, I thought that Off-topic/General Discussion was a more appropriate category. :oops::)

As a footnote though, I have to add that this video (And similar ones) have started me thinking about whether fitting a Whammy bar onto a Cello would be as cool as I think it'd be... :shock::lol:<D

starrymarkb

Established Member
Ahh...Apologies to the Mods for dumping it in the wrong place. As it was a discussion on an amusing quirk of the locomotive, I thought that Off-topic/General Discussion was a more appropriate category. :oops::)

As a footnote though, I have to add that this video (And similar ones) have started me thinking about whether fitting a Whammy bar onto a Cello would be as cool as I think it'd be... :shock::lol:<D

Have you seen the 0-75mph in 15 secs one?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Probably more Malcom Arnold than Beethoven, especially with that final dischord! ;)

Dai.

Established Member
Just when you think you've heard it all, you hear the singing train...

starrymarkb

Established Member
It is alleged that the ICE3 can play "Das Lied der Deutschen" (the national anthem) with a software mod to the inverters, though suspect that is myth

Dai.

Established Member
It is alleged that the ICE3 can play "Das Lied der Deutschen" (the national anthem) with a software mod to the inverters, though suspect that is myth

There's only one way to find out!

That would be amazing if it could though.

Established Member

Sounds like a myth to me as well, though they do play the same tune as the "Taurii" just not as noticeable.

A Taurus with wheelslip is quite entertaining :lol:

Established Member
Well, in theory, anything that makes various different pitches and that you can control, you can play a tune on. It's just a matter of how difficult it is.

I'm don't doubt they can do that with the inverters on an ICE3.

Death

Established Member
Quick!!!
[youtube]cdy3G_an65s[/youtube]​
Forgive me for dragging up an old thread like this, but I only just this minute saw KingBoyD's post. :)

That's actually quicker than might at first appear, as well! The train starts to move at 0:06, the driver reads out 80km/h at 0:17.50, and the train hits 120km/h at 0:21.75...If I've got my maths right, that's 0-120Km/h in 15.75 seconds!!! :shock:8)<D

That, and IMO the sound of the loco itself is really pleasant as well! Just like the "Spaceship" sound of the Jubilee line tubes...But deeper, more powerful, and slightly haunting to boot! 8)

Can anyone guess what kind of locos I'd like to see "returning" to the WCML at some point soon?... <D

Dai.

Established Member
Can anyone guess what kind of locos I'd like to see "returning" to the WCML at some point soon?... <D

Not sure about your wish to see returning locos, but I'd like to see the Pendolino's replaced by a long line of Pacers, just for the fun of it ;)

defitzi

no way: trains should sound like....well....trains!
I love to park my motorhome near railways and man-do I sleep well? Yep.
A favourite is as near as i can get to the old Paris-Lyon-Marseilles main line in France.
Quite often I'm on my boat on the river near the bridge at Migennes: still a very big big station-junction with lots and lots of different trains to watch. Lovely soothing, exciting sounds all night: through freights; shunting freights, stopping -starting freights-the regular night sleepers to Italy; the French inter-city sleepers, and lots of local passenger trains and lots and lots of pointwork-and beautiful clatter. Trains are mostly electric, loco-hauled, a few are diesels and there are big big shunters , often double-headed for cross country lines now freight-only but much used for timber haulage and grain. Marvellous-the best noises anywhere unless its Prague trams in the very early mornming.

Status
Not open for further replies.