• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A very young candidate for a guard position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J123

The lady in recruitment told us that if we were successful we would be starting in May ish. Well done Gman.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chilli_palmer

the lady in recruitment told us that if we were successful we would be starting in may ish. Well done gman.

did you pass your interview and how long before you recieved a call that you are successful
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
good luck for thursday. I start with swt on 14 april. Hope to see you then!

how did your interview go and how long till they called you to let you know you was successful

J123

I had my interview yesterday...

I felt it went really well apart from some questions which were kinda difficult to answer at my age. However I did give a good answer for each question.

@chillio_palmer I was told they will contact in 10 days or less with my result.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I had my interview yesterday...

I felt it went really well apart from some questions which were kinda difficult to answer at my age. However I did give a good answer for each question.

How did you go about answering those questions that were difficult? I'm in the same boat and looking for some tips in preparation. Having not done much previously I've always found filling out application forms etc. difficult because of my lack of experience.

Good Luck with getting the job too! Hopefully you get it!

Monty

Established Member
Good luck guys, and if does take longer than 10 days to reach you don't be afraid to ring them up and ask. They are currently swamped at recruitment so they may simply forget to call you.

S3

Good news, I've been invited for an assessment at Southampton. Very nervous but exited too.

It's on the 14th of this month, anyone else going?
how did it go mate? any tips?
Good luck for Thursday. I start with SWT on 14 April. Hope to see you then!

Hey Gman, I Have the same assesment coming up....any advice you could give at all? Namely on the tests etc...any help is much appreciated.

Well done!

crewmeal

Jordan think about the age old question 'Why should we give the job to you? or in this case 'What qualities go to make a good guard?

S3

Good luck guys, and if does take longer than 10 days to reach you don't be afraid to ring them up and ask. They are currently swamped at recruitment so they may simply forget to call you.

Hi Monty,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I have an assessment coming up for Train Guard Position and wanted to know if you had any pointer or tips for me at all?

Secondly to what extent is the difficulty of the "Numerical Computation"

Again, to anyone else reading any help would be much appreciated...

I know a few guys have done well at assessment/interview recently so just looking to pick a few brains...

Hope to hear back from anyone.

Thanks guys.

Gman

With the assessment practice and practice again with the materials sent to you. On the day work steadily through the tests and don't rush. Also read up on SWT; there is some good information on the website. Get a good night's sleep before.

Try and meet a guard prior to any interview. The ones I spoke to were very helpful. There is a fair bit of advice on here as well.

Good luck!

S3

With the assessment practice and practice again with the materials sent to you. On the day work steadily through the tests and don't rush. Also read up on SWT; there is some good information on the website. Get a good night's sleep before.

Try and meet a guard prior to any interview. The ones I spoke to were very helpful. There is a fair bit of advice on here as well.

Good luck!

Thank's a lot Gman.

Hopefully may seen you soon!

Appreciate it!

chilli_palmer

did you pass your interview and how long before you recieved a call that you are successful

how did your interview go and how long till they called you to let you know you was successful

was you successful?

with the assessment practice and practice again with the materials sent to you. On the day work steadily through the tests and don't rush. Also read up on swt; there is some good information on the website. Get a good night's sleep before.

Try and meet a guard prior to any interview. The ones i spoke to were very helpful. There is a fair bit of advice on here as well.

Good luck!

gman ...how long does the medical takes and for you to start because my friend said he has been given a start date for end of june and he has his medical end of april

Gman

Similar wait for me. Had medical in January and start on Monday

chilli_palmer

Similar wait for me. Had medical in January and start on Monday

how was your first day?

just a quick question ...after your medical what happens next do you just wait or you get sent info about uniform and contracts

J123

sucess! I've been offered a place at Waterloo.

I'm told things will go quiet now and I will eventually be contacted about a medical. Next training groups will be in September.

Thanks all of you for your input I really appreciate your advice.

Jordan.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Congratulations. I hope you have a fruitful and enjoyable career.

chilli_palmer

good luck guys, and if does take longer than 10 days to reach you don't be afraid to ring them up and ask. They are currently swamped at recruitment so they may simply forget to call you.

sucess! I've been offered a place at waterloo.

I'm told things will go quiet now and i will eventually be contacted about a medical. Next training groups will be in september.

Thanks all of you for your input i really appreciate your advice.

Jordan.

congrats dude ......

S3

sucess! I've been offered a place at Waterloo.

I'm told things will go quiet now and I will eventually be contacted about a medical. Next training groups will be in September.

Thanks all of you for your input I really appreciate your advice.

Jordan.

Congratulations Mate-

Any last minute things to consider for the tests/interview at all? any thing to be careful of...all help is much appreciated guys.

just want to ace it so trying to do my best from every angle!!

J123

Nope. Not yet, SWT said on the phone things would go guiet for a while before I am contacted about a date for the medical.

As for the interview... Answer the questions in full detail, prepare answers, rehearse your answers, research the company deeply and engage the
Interview panel, that was my recipe for success and I have gotten as far as the medical.

I also used the how to become a train conductor book, I found it really useful.

J123

My first day on the job is approaching fast... less than seven days off now.

Should I be this anxious? I feel really exited however worried at the same time about making a bad first impression. Does anybody have any tips or advice on how to present myself on the first day?

I have experienced many first days on the job before, in job roles which are nowhere near as important to me as this role. I am aware that I am very lucky to be given the oppertunity to work as a guard as it's a very sought after career.
I would like my appreciation for the job offer and my positive attitude towards my job to be obvious to my employer, as I would like to furthur convince South West Trains that I am the right candidate for the role, however I don't want to over do it.

Thanks for any tips, Jordan.

Grafter

Mate, just be yourself!

If you didn't feel a little bit anxious there would probably be something wrong. The only thing for your first day i would say is don't be late and polish your shoes. First impressions last. Most of all, enjoy yourself.

Congratulations and good luck on your role

387star

On Moderation
You will not be performing the job as such until you have completed extensive training

Mine ran from September through to February including PTS, corporate induction, depot induction, fire safety and basic first aid, ticket selling and checking and many weeks spent on rules and regs...

Oh and route and traction learning

Monty

Established Member
Dress smartly (shirt and tie) and just try and be yourself. The first week is a bit underwhelming to be honest. You'll have your corporate induction and then you'll be writing your signature a fair few times. Then comes disability and conflict awareness courses, this is a mixed group and you'll have trainees for various roles in these courses.

Training doesn't really start properly until the second week and most of it is rules and yor PTS, if I remember correctly you don't even touch a train until a least a month after you start. Most importantly enjoy it!

455driver

Veteran Member
My first day on the job is approaching fast... less than seven days off now.

Should I be this anxious? I feel really exited however worried at the same time about making a bad first impression. Does anybody have any tips or advice on how to present myself on the first day?

I have experienced many first days on the job before, in job roles which are nowhere near as important to me as this role. I am aware that I am very lucky to be given the oppertunity to work as a guard as it's a very sought after career.
I would like my appreciation for the job offer and my positive attitude towards my job to be obvious to my employer, as I would like to furthur convince South West Trains that I am the right candidate for the role, however I don't want to over do it.

Thanks for any tips, Jordan.
Chill, you have done the hard bit, now its just a question of knuckling down and getting on with it. Everyone is in the same boat and the trainers have seen it hundreds of times, just relax and enjoy.
If you are unsure then ask, 99% of the time you will know the answer but just cant think of it and when the trainers tells you you will go duh of course it is, there is no such thing as a stupid question, if in doubt ask.
The trainers are there to get you through the course so you are competant and comfortable with the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.