• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia announce series of improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
This news article is copied from the Abellio Greater Anglia news page:
http://www.abelliogreateranglia.co....f10m-in-customer-focused-service-improvements

Abellio Greater Anglia to Invest Over £10m in Customer-Focused Service Improvements

Nov 2014

Abellio Greater Anglia is to invest over £10 million in a new programme of customer-focused service improvements across its network. The initiatives will cover a range of projects from refreshing carriages to leasing additional vehicles, recruiting extra cleaning staff, additional investment in performance improvement schemes and upgrading ticket gates. The upgrades are in addition to the £20 million programme of enhancements announced earlier this year as part of the company's new short franchise to October 2016.

The highlights of this major commitment to further raising service standards include:

• A refresh for the 24 Class 317/6 trains used on the West Anglia routes between London and Hertford, Harlow, Bishops Stortford and Cambridge, with new seat covers and re-painting of the carriage interiors (including grab handles and luggage racks);

• New seat covers for the 21 Class 360 trains used on the Great Eastern Main Line between London and Chelmsford, Colchester, Clacton and Ipswich (provided through a partnership scheme with Siemens and Angel Trains);

• Hire of an additional set of intercity MkIII carriages to improve vehicle availability and maintain planned seating capacity during the MkIII refurbishment programme which begins in January;

• Replacement of the automatic ticket gates at London Liverpool Street, Shenfield, Southend Victoria, Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich and Harlow stations to provide new, better, more efficient gates - which will also enable the introduction of more mobile ticketing, print-at-home ticketing and future smart-ticketing schemes;

• Recruitment of an additional 40 cleaning staff (including 8 roving on-train cleaners to work mainly on Southend and Clacton trains);

• Recruitment of 10 extra customer service staff at stations including London Liverpool Street, Billericay, Wickford, Chelmsford, Clacton, Norwich and Cambridge to provide additional customer assistance and information;

• Introduction of 6 additional staff at Ilford and Norwich to repair train interior faults (such as damage to or problems with seats, tables, toilets, lighting or wall panels);

• Recruitment of 6 additional catering staff for the trial of an at-seat catering service in First Class carriages on three morning and evening peak trains in each direction on the Norwich to London intercity services;

• Wireless mobile public address systems at 8 stations (Bishops Stortford, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich, Shenfield and Witham) to enable customer service staff to make announcements whilst out on the platforms;

• Additional investment in standby buses to provide support for missed connections at Ipswich, Norwich and Witham in the event of service disruption;

• A refresh for the waiting rooms at the stations between Southend and Billericay and at Witham and Ipswich.

The new package reinforces Abellio Greater Anglia's focus on consistently improving services across its network throughout its franchise term to October 2016 and represents a further 50% increase in the investment in service upgrades it is providing over that time. It also directly targets the issues that customers and stakeholders highlight as priorities - including on-train condition and cleaning, better performance, seating availability and crowding, customer information provision and easier ticket purchase and systems.

These additional improvements come on top of a programme of planned upgrades announced in April, which included the upcoming refurbishment of the intercity MkIII carriages used on the Norwich - Ipswich - Colchester - London line (with the programme starting early in the New Year); introduction of a new, weekday off peak Cambridge - Stansted service (which was launched, as planned, in July); a series of Sunday service upgrades on a number of routes (with an hourly winter Sunday service on the Norwich to Sheringham line already launched); the introduction of on-line compensation arrangements for season ticket holders during the franchise period and further investment in integrated transport facilities and community rail partnerships.

Commenting on the major, customer-focused programme, Jamie Burles, Managing Director of Abellio Greater Anglia said: "We are totally committed to delivering a better service for our customers, focusing on those areas they prioritise as important. This extensive package of service improvements represents a major investment in key areas of service delivery including the on-train travelling environment, cleaning, seating capacity and performance. In a short term franchise we will now be investing over £30 million in customer-focused enhancements aimed at continuously improving the quality of the train service our passengers experience."

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

phil beard

Let's hope they make some more effort to keep the OUTSIDES of their rolling stock clean as well. White was never going to be a good colour when you don't bother to wash anything.

sadgit

They need to invest more in train maintenance before they even think about customer service improvements. They are currently getting all sorts of flak on Twitter because a great number of their services are being cancelled or short formed due to "train faults", which frankly does not bode well for their engineering practises.

In fact of all the criticism I have for Abellio, their customer service isn't part of it; they are absolutely fine on that front, it is the actual railway service that is, at best, variable.

387star

On Moderation
I think they are a good operator struggling with a franchise national express ran to the ground

The manager is certainly working hard for improvements

Last edited:

Established Member
I think they are a good operator struggling with a franchise national express ran to the ground

The manager is certainly pushing go for improvements

Based on what? Abellio run it on more of a shoestring than even NX dared too... Mk3s apart, which is NX projects coning home, MTIN is down the pan.

Abellio seem to talk but that's about it.

DelayRepay

Established Member
The creation of 62 new jobs is good news.

But just how poor must their current standards of cleaning be, if they need 40 additional staff??

JaJaWa

Established Member
• Replacement of the automatic ticket gates at London Liverpool Street, Shenfield, Southend Victoria, Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich and Harlow stations to provide new, better, more efficient gates - which will also enable the introduction of more mobile ticketing, print-at-home ticketing and future smart-ticketing schemes;

The gates at Liverpool Street are currently the newest "TfL-style" ones, hopefully this doesn't mean they're being replaced with the awful "glass" ones we have up north.

Wolfie

Established Member

Hum... I'm sure reducing the available rolling stock as their very first act really helped...NOT!

smudga331

I find it a tad disappointing that they're not doing anything to bring the 321's up to date. I think they could do with some work, possibly in the direction of the demonstrator if they're remaining for a while longer. However, I have no idea what the long term plans are, I would assume in 5 or 6 years time the possibility could be there for mk4's to end up on the Norwich - London services from the ECML. Just a thought though...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Thank goodness someone has finally decided to replace the seat covers in their 360s. They're awful!

TheEdge

Established Member
Well this seem interesting

MPs and business leaders hailed a win for their better rail campaign as the chancellor said he would “do what it takes” to get faster trains between East Anglia and London.

Writing for the Eastern Daily Press, George Osborne said he had seen for himself the old trains and low average speeds on the Great Eastern Main Line.

His significant intervention will ensure that the next private company to win the contract to run the line is likely to be forced to provide fresh trains.

The Department for Transport has already asked Network Rail to continue developing improvements to the speed of the line over the next few years.

Network Rail has said it already has its plans in place for work to the track, signals and overhead lines to achieve the faster, more reliable services set out by a taskforce formed a year ago.

It is estimated the work needed will cost £460 million.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/east_anglia_rail_plan_given_backing_of_government_paving_way_for_new_trains_1_3870166

Sadly being as there is an election coming up I'm not convinced...

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Their cleaning is pretty shoddy, if the pictures on the GA complaints Twitter are anything to go by: http://twitter.com/delayed_again

I wouldn't take that account as gospel, it's been well documented that they've got some sort of vendetta against Abellio. And it's been known to slag off staff.

Personally, I feel Abellio get far too much stick sometimes.

387star

On Moderation
I find it a tad disappointing that they're not doing anything to bring the 321's up to date. I think they could do with some work, possibly in the direction of the demonstrator if they're remaining for a while longer. However, I have no idea what the long term plans are, I would assume in 5 or 6 years time the possibility could be there for mk4's to end up on the Norwich - London services from the ECML. Just a thought though...

A small number will be fully upgraded to meet 2020 standards by 2016... 12 I think... Announced in April

I'm a bit confused as to which will recieve new toilets which will be refurbished and which will have the full works:

Improved passenger accessibility arrangements to be installed on twelve Class 321 trains used on commuter services from Essex and South Suffolk, as a precursor to further rolling stock improvements which would be agreed as part of the next Greater Anglia franchise. Abellio Greater Anglia will also work with Eversholt Leasing to evaluate options for starting refurbishment of a small number of Class 321 trains before the end of the Direct Award period in October 2016.

Fitting of controlled emission toilets (CET) to all intercity carriages and the start of a programme to fit CET to Class 321 trains, allied with a £2 million investment by Network Rail at train maintenance depots at Orient Way (East London), Southend and Norwich, to stop waste being flushed onto the tracks and enable the toilets to be emptied in proper facilities at dedicated locations with appropriate equipment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Presumably the refresh of the 317/6s includes the three randomly refurbished by national express and will the livery be amended like 653? All are currently plain white with either blue or red doors

The 360s could surely do with new carpets as well... I imagine new seat covers could clash. I gather no livery change is allowed due to paint warranty

Last edited:

Rapidash

Im on my very first trip with AGA today - apart from a half hour delay, my main issues are the carriages being uh....slightly dated (not exactly a big issue in the grand scheme) and the trolly being out of teabags! Travesty! ;)

Pugwash

The gates at Liverpool Street are currently the newest "TfL-style" ones, hopefully this doesn't mean they're being replaced with the awful "glass" ones we have up north.

Getting rid of that ridiculous hut between platforms 13 and 15 to allow more ticket barriers would be a better idea.

The flow through the current gates is madness in morning peak.

I agree the gates at Liverpool Street are better than the glass style ones, what is needed is an oyster system system to speed up barrier flow rates.

they're not doing anything to bring the 321's up to date.

They have got themselves in a hole, there is not any spare capacity to take any of the 321's out of service for refurbishment.

colchesterken

As I see it the grand announcments are fime but a big bang solution to east anglias problems will not happen for years, end of next parliament to start ( if then ) another 5 yrs to do it. Us old gits will all be dead before it happens
I thing a bit by bit soultion may work. on the rail the Chelmsford villave has been aproved, lets get on with it put in the new station with long loops for passing.Like they do on chiltern I was on a local (train spotting at the limit of zone 6 ) the train sat at one of the stations ( cannot remember which ) while 2 expresses passed
If they recast the timetable with fast Norwich and Clacton trains having a clear run stoppers could be timed to wait in the loops at Witham and the new Chelmsford parkway while the fasts got on
Tweek the route between Liv st and Shenfield for 100 mph running. how come they rebuilt Stratford a few years ago with a 50 limit on fasts rebuild Bow junction better sginals to Shenfield
Only freight that needs to go to London goes on GEML, all the rest goes via the new curve at Ipswich
inprove freight to Peterborough

On the road stop lorries restricted to 56 overtaking lorries at the same speed I was on a coach the other day ( Speed limited to 62 ) we were stuck behind overtaking lorries from Marks tey to Whitham
sort out all the slip roads, join up junctions Marks tey to Colchester Spring lane slip could have an extra lane at little cost it is all lay byes and scrub land at road side. the Witham slips could not be joined up going north because of cables under the verge. Bridge over them piles at the side and a strong roof to build the slip road on. All along that road there are bits where extra lanes and slip roads could be improved without bilding new bridges or extentive demolision

Lets make a start with what little money we have lather than GB plc waiting to win the lottery

Wolfie

Established Member
they're not doing anything to bring the 321's up to date.

They have got themselves in a hole, there is not any spare capacity to take any of the 321's out of service for refurbishment.

If things are that bad why did they not retain the 317/7s for a while (or get them back now) to free up a little capacity. Failing that they can get back the current AGA stock going to either LO or Crossrail on a short-term basis, once the new stock for those operators has been delivered, in order to refurbish the 321s...

Neither are perfect solutions but both work, as possibly would be borrowing one or more 321s from LM to cover....

Pugwash

If things are that bad why did they not retain the 317/7s for a while (or get them back now) to free up a little capacity. Failing that they can get back the current AGA stock going to either LO or Crossrail on a short-term basis, once the new stock for those operators has been delivered, in order to refurbish the 321s...

Neither are perfect solutions but both work, as possibly would be borrowing one or more 321s from LM to cover....

Simple answer - Money - AGA promised to run the franchise to return the maximum amount of possible to the DFT, it's not about customer service, or quality of service, but maximising returns.

sadgit

I wouldn't take that account as gospel, it's been well documented that they've got some sort of vendetta against Abellio. And it's been known to slag off staff.

Personally, I feel Abellio get far too much stick sometimes.

Their vendetta is a bit scary, and I actually find myself defending Abellio on there sometimes. Recently they were slagging them off for a slow freight train causing delays (not Abellio's fault) and also for someone having to buy another ticket because they forgot their season ticket (which is the passenger's fault).

That said, in general, they have a point, and their photos are a bit indisputable.

smudga331

Took the words straight out of my mouth regarding the 317/7's. They could actually have been used as 12-carriage sets to also boost seats on peak services from Norwich - London as there clearly is a problem during rush hour on these services at the moment.

The other thing I cannot understand is why they dont bring some 315's down from Ilford to be stored at Colchester to work the Braintree, Harwich, Colchester Town and Walton-on-the-Naze lines, freeing up stock for the Ipswich, Clacton, Southend and additional Norwich routes in peak times.

Just a few Idea's but sometimes I feel a reshuffle could make AGA's life a little easier.

TheEdge

Established Member
The other thing I cannot understand is why they dont bring some 315's down from Ilford to be stored at Colchester to work the Braintree, Harwich, Colchester Town and Walton-on-the-Naze lines, freeing up stock for the Ipswich, Clacton, Southend and additional Norwich routes in peak times.

Because it would take exactly 27 seconds for the users of those lines to whine about getting old London commuter trains and where are our toilets.

Established Member

Possibly because class 315s don't grow on trees. They are intensively used in the peaks at the London end of the route.

This announcement made me smile, dressing up what is simply all part of running a railway to look like investment. Abellio talk a good story but the proof is in the daily delivery of the service.

badassunicorn

Because nearly all the 315 stock is used and the absolute bare minimum is held back for essential works. At any one time at least two 315 units are being refurbed by Bombardier and a few more undergoing other work so there really is none spare. And anyway, the services you mention run into London a lot of the time which is not really practical running 75mph max speed stock on lines of up to 90mph into London, one of many reasons why that would be bad.
I've been commuting into London for the last few days in the morning peak, so far I've gotten two different trains leaving Chelmsford between 7 and 8am, both 12 cars, and both have been on time or within a few minutes of their booked time, and with enough room for plenty more people (even though according to station posters they are meant to be some of the busiest services!) so I honestly am finding it hard to understand what all the moans are about. If people want to get on the hauled sets which are obviously busier then thats utter madness.

BurtonM

So, those staff being recruited for 'train interiour faults'...
I bet at least half of them are being used solely to replace broken push-buttons on the Stansted Express!

Is 317/6 the trains with the horrid dark red high back seats? They're rubbish. I do, however, like the 317s with the low blue seats and orange handles - hope it's not those going, they're comfy.

smudga331

ahhh i see, my bad, I had no idea that 315's were so scarce. Everytime I go past Gidea Park there always seems to be a few stabled there, but I hardly ever travel into London in peak times which probably explains it. I must add that my knowledge on these matters if fairly limited so if I sound like im baffling on, dont be surprised. :lol:

Class 170101

Established Member
If people want to get on the hauled sets which are obviously busier then thats utter madness.

Unfortunately the pendulum appears too have swung too much in favour of Ipswich and Norwich and in some respects against those for other destinations. Some people also insist on having their coffee and breakfast on the train too.

SprinterMan

Established Member

Completely Agree :D

Presumably the refresh of the 317/6s includes the three randomly refurbished by national express and will the livery be amended like 653? All are currently plain white with either blue or red doors

The 360s could surely do with new carpets as well... I imagine new seat covers could clash. I gather no livery change is allowed due to paint warranty

I presume the 317/6s will be done up like the NX ones but with Red grab handles instead of grey ones. Not sure if they will be repainted on the outside. The 360s would need to be sanded down completely before being repainted as FGE used anti-graffiti paint on them which has turned into a curse for all future operators wanting to repaint them. It's almost as if FGE knew :P

They do have a couple of 317/7s (317709, 317719, 317722) covering for 379s at the moment, the rest of them are being done up currently, presumably to go to Northern. The issue with 317/7s is that the leasing costs are 3 times as much as a 321 or normal 317. This is why AGA got rid of them in the first place, and why GTR also got rid of the small number they had when they took over from FCC.

Took the words straight out of my mouth regarding the 317/7's. They could actually have been used as 12-carriage sets to also boost seats on peak services from Norwich - London as there clearly is a problem during rush hour on these services at the moment.

I heard lots of people were complaining when 317/7s were doing the 1Y03 0629 Ipswich to London Liverpool Street as they have far fewer standard class seats than 321s. An 8 car 321 actually has more std seats than a 12 car 317/7 (although obviously a lot less standing room).

So, those staff being recruited for 'train interiour faults'...
I bet at least half of them are being used solely to replace broken push-buttons on the Stansted Express!

Is 317/6 the trains with the horrid dark red high back seats? They're rubbish. I do, however, like the 317s with the low blue seats and orange handles - hope it's not those going, they're comfy.

317/6s are indeed the ones with the red seats. The ones you like are 317/8s, which are currently thought to be transferred to LO next May along with the 317/5s. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Adam :D

badassunicorn

The 360's do not actually have any kind of special paint on them, they would have to be shot blasted like every other train first of course before painting. At least one 360 had NX vinyl's applied which shows that vinyls aren't a problem, and shot blasting and repainting is a pretty normal procedure.
I would think the 317/6's will be done up with grey side panels, red grab handles and the new dark grey with red/white spots the same as the Mk.3's will have after refurb. I would also imagine they will all have their doors changed from blue to red and the additional vinyls added to match up with the newly done two. I'll post a pic in a bit once I've found it!
necjvc.jpg

anti-pacer

Established Member
Oh my god! Just been looking at some of the photos on GA Complaints! Awful! I thought Northern were bad but maybe not.

Since both are under Abellio, are trains in the Netherlands this dirty and unloved? I somehow doubt it.

That said, it's the filthy passengers that litter the trains, but that's no excuse for not cleaning them properly.

On another note, aren't Network Rail supposed to keep their land litter free? They certainly don't in West Yorkshire. I bet the lines and embankments of London get regular attention though.

Status
Not open for further replies.