• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
Wonder why the 3 cars are not approved at same time, are they that radically different just missing a car an an engine or two?
Not enough here & I think any slight difference impacts on the certificate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Isn't that because bombardiers resources have been focused on getting the class 710 units approved which are mildly similar to the 720s?
Surely it won't take very long before the 720s are approved as all the leg work has now been done with the 710s?
Theoretically, but then you wouldn't have thought it'd take 2 years from the 345 entry into service to the 710s being ready, yet it certainly happened.

Railperf

Established Member
Theoretically, but then you wouldn't have thought it'd take 2 years from the 345 entry into service to the 710s being ready, yet it certainly happened.
True, but it was explained to me that there was a huge difference in the software. And although they look similar mechanically and probably are..the 710 software is completely new and very buggy. And so i understand the 720 software is very similar to the 710 setup. But yes..it could take another 2 years...but i hope that it won't.

Cletus

Established Member
Just passed Dollands Moor and there’s a GA delivery attached to a red 66. Couldn’t ID either.

samuelmorris

Established Member
True, but it was explained to me that there was a huge difference in the software. And although they look similar mechanically and probably are..the 710 software is completely new and very buggy. And so i understand the 720 software is very similar to the 710 setup. But yes..it could take another 2 years...but i hope that it won't.
Indeed, there are far fewer changes this time around, but the units are still not exactly identical by any means.

strangemonk

The issue many people forget is that reservations are being removed from July 2019 on GA intercity services because there could be up to 5 rolling stocks going to norwich or back in the same day and no guarantee of what you will get,

As an example

0900 NRW - LST Class 90 , Norwich in 90
0903 NRW - LST Rennatus 321 -currently permament change
0930 NRW - LST Stanstead express 745 with no first class
1000 NRW - LST Intercity 745
1030 NRW - LST Bombardier 720

So inbetween that if any of the new fleet breakdown but are stuck between a CLASS 90 and 321 how will it be rescued? And thats if DB have the special coupler at hand to rescue the failed units.

The 37's will be the first to go and then the 379 stanstead express as these two are the most expensive however i believe the 379 is best class of trains we run bar the door faults and sun bleaching issues.

So as many trains go to retirement / heritage / other toc service the GEML will suffer and mean more and more different classes covering jobs.

90001 i believe if im correct is currently in crewe having a rebuild/maintenence im not 100% on the loco but i believe thats the one , had 2 fatalities within a short period.

I saw this morning’s delivery 745004 passing through Ipswich on its way to Crown Point.

Julia

Will the 754s be using their bi-mode capability wherever possible - eg. on Norwich-Cambridge, switch over at Ely? (thinks: are the north-facing bays at Cambridge wired, and is P5 long enough now they've built the footbridge?)

Will the 754s be using their bi-mode capability wherever possible - eg. on Norwich-Cambridge, switch over at Ely? (thinks: are the north-facing bays at Cambridge wired, and is P5 long enough now they've built the footbridge?)
Platforms 5 and 6 are both 6 carriage, so even with the power car, both the new 755's should fit, and both look wired:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2700947

samuelmorris

Established Member
There have been quite a few discussions about that in this thread already, but I think the general consensus will be no unless the trains are actually covering some distance on electric power. If it's just for a station throat it doesn't seem like they will bother, other than maybe potentially Stansted, I'm not sure about that one.

chubs

There have been quite a few discussions about that in this thread already, but I think the general consensus will be no unless the trains are actually covering some distance on electric power. If it's just for a station throat it doesn't seem like they will bother, other than maybe potentially Stansted, I'm not sure about that one.

Ely to Cambridge is still around 10-15 mins, then as you say the extension to Stansted adds on another 30 mins.

Would seem silly if they don't especially as the small fuel tanks are well documented.

Actually if they go to Stansted don't they have to be under Electric? The short platform is taken up by snoozing XC units, could sit off the end of one of the long platform I guess as it often does now.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ely to Cambridge is still around 10-15 mins, then as you say the extension to Stansted adds on another 30 mins.

Would seem silly if they don't especially as the small fuel tanks are well documented.

Actually if they go to Stansted don't they have to be under Electric? The short platform is taken up by snoozing XC units, could sit off the end of one of the long platform I guess as it often does now.
They will work on electric mode whenever possible. Nothing has been confirmed on traction change whilst on the move but from what I've heard it is unlikely. Time will tell.

rdlover777

question regarding the 745/1. Where will they be based, surely Norwich is too out of the way for the Stansted route

samuelmorris

Established Member
question regarding the 745/1. Where will they be based, surely Norwich is too out of the way for the Stansted route
They won't stable there but they'll be maintained there - I think once a day(?) one of the Norwich units swaps to be a Stansted unit so it can go to Norwich for maintenance, or was it once a week?

MrPIC

I think I heard that the 1st and last Norwich will be a Stanex unit in order to get them back to Crown Point for exams etc. They'll likely stable at Orient Way as Bishop's Stortford would be full with just one 745 stabled there! Having said that, I've no idea what GA's plan is regarding stabling etc at Ilford/Orient Way/Stortford/Cambridge etc

trebor79

Established Member
Can't come soon enough. The Mk3s are getting tired inside, the cushions on my seat were collapsed on both of my journeys today.
At least the windows are nice and clean at the moment affording a good view.
And as always I enjoyed my porridge from the buffet :D

delticdave

They will work on electric mode whenever possible. Nothing has been confirmed on traction change whilst on the move but from what I've heard it is unlikely. Time will tell.
I was told by a local (Norwich) driver that they might have to switch to electric mode during their layovers at Norwich to keep the systems running without wasting fuel. Also, refuelling might be required part-way on some diagrams.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I was told by a local (Norwich) driver that they might have to switch to electric mode during their layovers at Norwich to keep the systems running without wasting fuel. Also, refuelling might be required part-way on some diagrams.
As long as the switch is easy enough to do I'm glad that's the case, it only makes sense.

TRAX

Established Member
Possibly because the power module can be removed to create a different unit type? Or is it because the individual coaches cannot be run in isolation due to only having one (and a half) bogie because of their articulation?

Your first assumption may have an element of truth in it. It’s not your second though, a lot of french units are articulated and they don’t have a 90 registration.

dk1

Veteran Member
Would make sense. Quite a simple changeover between modes.