• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

ashkeba

Established Member
Would they not change power at Ely whilst stopped?
It would be kind of nice if they left Ely on electric and then fired up the diesel to avoid having yet another clagger dusting the platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shunter_69

Entirely possible as you can warm up the engines before switching over but it may end up being a directive to do it at a stand in the station.

dk1

Veteran Member
Entirely possible as you can warm up the engines before switching over but it may end up being a directive to do it at a stand in the station.
Still so many unanswered questions regarding 745/755 operation on many aspects.

Class 170101

Established Member
With the cheap electrfication north of Cambridge I'd be surprised if there was enough juice for the Class 755s at the moment.

gingertom

Established Member
With the cheap electrfication north of Cambridge I'd be surprised if there was enough juice for the Class 755s at the moment.
A 12-car Flirt has a similar power rating to a class 90. The Flirts have regenerative braking so this will help the situation a bit. New electric running where previously there was diesel under the wires might well be an issue. You'd hope the planners would take this additional power draw into account and plan for additional feeders and/or capacity upgrades (autotransformer feeding perhaps?) in the project plan.

dk1

Veteran Member
Upgraded a few years ago hence the far more intense & longer EMU services extended to Ely & at peak times Lynn.

Rick1984

Enduring a full 153 from Lowestoft to Ipswich made me think, how much nicer this would be in a 3 car Flirt

pompeyfan

Established Member
Has an agreed method of working been put in place with the unions regarding the new trains yet?

fat_boy_pete

How could we know the location of these new trains?

Well it did have 'Stansted Express' branding on the side.

All the 745's are stabled at Norwich Crown Point at the moment with most of the 755's, although a few of the latter are stabled elsewhere, e.g. Cambridge and the Mid Norfolk Railway.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It would be kind of nice if they left Ely on electric and then fired up the diesel to avoid having yet another clagger dusting the platforms.

I know they can do such a thing in France with their bi-modes, even as far as running the air-con of the overhead when sat in a station with overheads on a mostly in electrified route.

You would hope the Stadler would be capable of the same considering they are much newer and the technology has progressed somewhat.

LAX54

Established Member
Just a heads up... 5Q99 is a runner tomorrow (Thurs) 3 x BMU's to Crown Point. 755404. 755420 and 755422, after arrival at Norwich, will be checked over, then toddle off to the MNR for storage

MikePJ

Ooh. I know 406 has been sat by the diesel depot every time I've crossed over Coldham's Lane bridge in the past couple of weeks

It's gone now, so I presume it's been shunted onto the depot somewhere. Stupidly I didn't take a picture of the number from the cycle bridge because the windows are filthy and I thought I'd get a better shot from elsewhere.