• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
Pre-heating, starting the engines & letting them idle or electric immersion heaters, (often used in N.American loco-hauled commuter trains, using a shore supply to keep engines & coaches warm during the overnight / weekend layovers.)?
Wouldn't have a clue. Obviously shore supply on depot. This just starts engines to a slow rev rather than going in direct from cold. Probably is better for them although many don't bother.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

415 was on the Ipswich - Cambridge today. 328 was on test between Norwich and Ipswich. 332 was on the Felixstowe branch.

Icky Qualms

So I was on 13:50 from Cambridge to Stansted (755402)
I got off at Whittlesford and caught the 14:09 back to Cambridge (755417) arriving at 14:19
I then caught the 14:47 to Ipswich (755415)

755417 was the only one with pantograph up

So I was on 13:50 from Cambridge to Stansted (755402)
I got off at Whittlesford and caught the 14:09 back to Cambridge (755417) arriving at 14:19
I then caught the 14:47 to Ipswich (755415)

755417 was the only one with pantograph up

415 was pan up at Stowmarket on the 12:47 departure to Ipswich.

Railperf

Established Member
Any idea which of the Ipswich - Cambridge diagrams tomorrow will be 755?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
According to what I've just heard at Ipswich, the signalling fault has returned on the Felixstowe line and Peterborough line and therefore both are replaced by buses for the whole day.

Is this more because a couple of 156s have left, leaving them short?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Are there any plans to get 755s approved to run in multiples? For through Lowestoft - Liverpool St services they will have to. Maybe the busiest morning peak rural could run as a par of 755/3s. Probably isn't a priority now, with the 745 delays.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Are there any plans to get 755s approved to run in multiples? For through Lowestoft - Liverpool St services they will have to. Maybe the busiest morning peak rural could run as a par of 755/3s. Probably isn't a priority now, with the 745 delays.
maybe in the future, but I think just having them in service to replace 153's/156's is a good enough step up for now.

they are nice trains.

samuelmorris

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, that's a necessity for the direct London to Lowestoft services since a single unit won't be enough (as proven in the NX days) - the question is, will they bother? To me it looks rather like another franchise commitment that could silently be dropped.

chubs

Hopefully dropped, total waste of units. The change at Norwich is easy, these small towns simply don't warrant a direct service as much as they would like one.

eastdyke

Established Member
Hopefully dropped, total waste of units. The change at Norwich is easy, these small towns simply don't warrant a direct service as much as they would like one.
? The E Suffolk is not at all just about Lowestoft though. The 'small towns' include Halesworth, Saxmundham and Woodbridge. The latter especially has a good number for London.
The 755s were designed to run as a train of up to 3 units. Don't know what approvals would be needed. There are some obvious difficulties around running 6 or 8 cars on the E Suffolk with a non full corridor train.
Perhaps the 4tpd services selected will join with/split from a Norwich service at Ipswich?

dk1

Veteran Member
I have to disagree with you there when it comes to the East Suffolk. We've been here before & it was stated then that it has very little to do with Lowestoft.

RailWonderer

Established Member
? The E Suffolk is not at all just about Lowestoft though. The 'small towns' include Halesworth, Saxmundham and Woodbridge. The latter especially has a good number for London.
Add Beccles to that too. They need to drive to Diss or Norwich to get a direct service to London. Personally I would like to see more Flirts on the GEML and it wouldn't be a waste at all, that's why 38 of them are replacing 26 legacy DMUs. Put it on the xx38 off Liverpool Street like the NX through train was and the Colchester Tn to replace the xx48 Braintree and let it call at Ingatestone, then no one loses frequency. More people would benefit from a Suffolk through service than the current Braintree through service - but that's up for debate on the speculative ideas thread.

WroxhamTroll

maybe in the future, but I think just having them in service to replace 153's/156's is a good enough step up for now.

they are nice trains.

Very nice I agree but sadly our service is downgraded to 2 hourly and what is running is always late without fail. No end in sight, guess the solution is the spring arriving?

WT

chubs

Sorry but I'm definitely including the small towns too. It's a waste of units and paths sending 755's up and down the GEML just so that places like Beccles and Saxmundham can have a direct link to London. Plus surely a few 755's coupled is smaller capacity wise than a 745 so they'll really struggle once everyone piles on towards London.

LAX54

Established Member
According to what I've just heard at Ipswich, the signalling fault has returned on the Felixstowe line and Peterborough line and therefore both are replaced by buses for the whole day.

Is this more because a couple of 156s have left, leaving them short?

Just to say, there are NO signalling issues that prevent 755s on the Fxst :) and we are not sure there are any real issues on the Peterboro either, apart from the station stop malarky

LAX54

Established Member
Add Beccles to that too. They need to drive to Diss or Norwich to get a direct service to London. Personally I would like to see more Flirts on the GEML and it wouldn't be a waste at all, that's why 38 of them are replacing 26 legacy DMUs. Put it on the xx38 off Liverpool Street like the NX through train was and the Colchester Tn to replace the xx48 Braintree and let it call at Ingatestone, then no one loses frequency. More people would benefit from a Suffolk through service than the current Braintree through service - but that's up for debate on the speculative ideas thread.
How about.... 4 car from Norwich arrive Ipswich, 3 car from Lowestoft attach, followed by 4 car ex Cambridge to complete the train, and same in reverse :)
GE needs more 'splits' to help space service out, and build in a buffer for any late running, and call at Colchester, Shenfield, Stratford, and Liverpool Street, SR seems to be able to do this quite easily !

dk1

Veteran Member
How about.... 4 car from Norwich arrive Ipswich, 3 car from Lowestoft attach, followed by 4 car ex Cambridge to complete the train, and same in reverse :)
GE needs more 'splits' to help space service out, and build in a buffer for any late running, and call at Colchester, Shenfield, Stratford, and Liverpool Street, SR seems to be able to do this quite easily !
That will keep the right time railway performance manager awake many a night ;):lol:

Established Member

Stick to signalling, even if commercial director GA becomes a vacancy ;)

LAX54

Established Member
Stick to signalling, even if commercial director GA becomes a vacancy ;)

What a defeatist way of looking at it ! LOL if everything works as it should, there are no issues attaching/splitting ! anyway too old to change jobs now !

Established Member
What a defeatist way of looking at it ! LOL if everything works as it should, there are no issues attaching/splitting ! anyway too old to change jobs now !

Defeatist or realist? What could possibly go wrong?

Getting one train from Norwich to Liverpool St on time through all the freight trains is an achievement. Relying on getting all the stars aligned on the single lines on the East Suffolk Line and through Newmarket too is both novel and courageous :)

You’re not mates with those signallers who came up with the GA timetable that made Newmarket and a Manningtree the hub of all operations? ;)

Anyway back on topic the reason ‘signalling problems’ for delayed 755 introduction is wearing a bit thin with some passengers I spoke to. It will be interesting to read the detailed report of the Sheringham line incident, but it probably won’t explain why it has lead to such chaos elsewhere. That is left to the truth police at GA.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
Defeatist or realist? What could possibly go wrong?

Getting one train from Norwich to Liverpool St on time through all the freight trains is an achievement. Relying on getting all the stars aligned on the single lines on the East Suffolk Line and through Newmarket too is both novel and courageous :)

You’re not mates with those signallers who came up with the GA timetable that made Newmarket and a Manningtree the hub of all operations? ;)

Anyway back on topic the reason ‘signalling delays’ for delayed 755 introduction is wearing a bit thin with some passengers I spoke to. It will be interesting to read the detailed report of the Sheringham line incident, but it probably won’t explain why it has lead to such chaos elsewhere. That is left to the truth police at GA.

Or just attach a Lowestoft (or 2) in the morning peak, and same in the evening, if the Lowestoft is late, then it will terminate Ipswich, and shunt to the c/sdgs :)

As for the 755's if it's wearing thin with the passengers, it's wearing even thinner with Signallers ! As you say the Cromer line will be interesting, the previous units have had no issues, and if it does point towards NR then has it been like that for 20 years ? Those xings can be busy, so are we then saying no near misses in all those years ? 20 years with roughly 35 trains a day, and the Stadlers, with what 14 days ? with about 2or 3 a day !

Adrian1980uk

I work in IT but suspect its same thing for NR, 80% of time working out what the issue is and 20% fixing it.

See what happens in the new year, I suspect all will be forgotten by March and we'll all be enjoying FLIRTing our way to Sheringham

LAX54

Established Member
I work in IT but suspect its same thing for NR, 80% of time working out what the issue is and 20% fixing it.

See what happens in the new year, I suspect all will be forgotten by March and we'll all be enjoying FLIRTing our way to Sheringham

As a 'quick fix' I think NR are installing treadles over the this weekend and next week, to assist GA and the 755s