• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen - Inverness £170m Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Interestingly Inverness Airport has just unveiled its draft 2020 master plan and consultation. Option 4 (and the most expensive option) is to build a new terminal by the railway line. You can check out the full plan here:

https://www.invernessairport.co.uk/...-Plan-2020-Condensed-Consultation-Version.pdf

and submit feedback via this link here:

View attachment 90819
The Gatwick of the North

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wynd

That is a great development.

Could Aberdeen follow next and incorporate Dyce in the same way?

Not with the current "leadership" at the helm of ACC.

Stathern Jc

Dalcross has the great advantage of plenty of clear space at the station end of the airport.
Don't know Dyce that well, but imagine there would need to be a fair amount of business relocations to allow it. Very attractive thought though (maybe except to the local cabbies!).

Last edited:

och aye

That is a great development.

Could Aberdeen follow next and incorporate Dyce in the same way?

Not with the current "leadership" at the helm of ACC.
It's not set in stone. They may go for the cheaper options of 1, 2 or 3 and leave the terminal where it is.

If folk are in favour of the more expensive Option 4, I'd encourage them to fill out the feedback form with their reasons in support of it.

Established Member
Dalcross has the great advantage of plenty of clear space at the station end of the airport.
Don't know Dyce that well, but imagine there would need to be a fair amount of business relocations to allow it. Very attractive thought though (maybe except to the local cabbies!).
It'll never happen at Aberdeen, the infrastructure around the present terminal is massive, even the idea of a new branch to serve the Airport and the P&J Live was pie in the sky.

Now that the line's been redoubled between Hutcheon Street Tunnel and Inverurie, the main focus at the Aberdeen end should be on getting more stations reopened. The airport can be left to do its own thing.

och aye

Highland Councillors have approved the Dalcross station.

Highland councillors agreed that Inverness Dalcross airport is to get its own multi-million twin platform rail link – but the decision came with only a muted fanfare.

Concern over the removal of the level crossing at Petty took up a great deal of councillor energy in debate over the issue.

Network Rail upgraded plans for a single platform station to a double last year in a venture transport chiefs say will result in a reduction in road travel to the airport, promoting greener travel choices whilst increasing capacity on the Inverness to Aberdeen line.

Pre-pandemic, passengers passed through Inverness Airport each year travelling to and from places like Amsterdam, Ireland, London and Majorca.

najaB

Veteran Member
Pre-pandemic, passengers passed through Inverness Airport each year travelling to and from places like Amsterdam, Ireland, London and Majorca.
Interesting that they chose not to quote numbers...

waverley47

While Inverness certainly isn't Schiphol, it's still great to see this finally get planning permission.

It opens up a large area to park and ride, although time will tell if the good people of Dalcross and Ardersier use it for this purpose (personally I doubt it). It connects to an airport, which is always a good thing. And most importantly it opens up a lot of journeys into Inverness from abroad. The Highlands are very popular, and I hope a number of people take advantage of this to use public transport to start their tours.

However, as has been noted, it's not in a great position for the airport, and we shall see if transport Scotland decide a minibus is worth the hassle. Personally, I doubt it.

najaB

Veteran Member
However, as has been noted, it's not in a great position for the airport, and we shall see if transport Scotland decide a minibus is worth the hassle. Personally, I doubt it.
I expect that one will be provided initially, only to fade away after a year or so.

Tobbes

Established Member
While Inverness certainly isn't Schiphol, it's still great to see this finally get planning permission.

It opens up a large area to park and ride, although time will tell if the good people of Dalcross and Ardersier use it for this purpose (personally I doubt it). It connects to an airport, which is always a good thing. And most importantly it opens up a lot of journeys into Inverness from abroad. The Highlands are very popular, and I hope a number of people take advantage of this to use public transport to start their tours.

How far is the station from the Terminal?

Deltic1961

Same issue with Dyce. The connection between terminal and station is PITA .... and it's a short distance too.

Trackbedjolly

What I don't understand about this Dalcross Station is why people are trying to call it an airport station. Is the reality not that it is associated with the nearby housing development and as that happens to be somewhere near Inverness Airport it is thereby perceived as an airport station?

takno

Established Member
What I don't understand about this Dalcross Station is why people are trying to call it an airport station. Is the reality not that it is associated with the nearby housing development and as that happens to be somewhere near Inverness Airport it is thereby perceived as an airport station?
Probably because if they declared they were planning on spending that much money on a two platform station for the benefit of a small housing estate outside Inverness they'd all lose their seats at the next election

najaB

Veteran Member
How far is the station from the Terminal?
About half a mile in a straight line. But to walk in a straight line you’d be over a couple of fences and walking on the end of the runway, so the actual distance is about a mile.
Don't forget though that there's a proposal for a new terminal which would be on the same side of the runway as the railway station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Don't forget though that there's a proposal for a new terminal which would be on the same side of the runway as the railway station.

That’s just one of three options to raise capacity for the airport though, the other three options extend the existing terminal - 1999 vintage and not often stretched. A relocated terminal has a big price tag for what would effectively be saving people perhaps 10 minutes walk.

najaB

Veteran Member
That’s just one of three options to raise capacity for the airport though, the other three options extend the existing terminal - 1999 vintage and not often stretched. A relocated terminal has a big price tag for what would effectively be saving people perhaps 10 minutes walk.
Oh, I don't expect that it'll happen - as you say, the current terminal isn't that old and I'm not sure how much growth in passenger numbers Inverness Airport can realistically expect.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Bear in mind Leeds Bradford has just had its expansion plans kicked into the very long grass by the UK Government. Will Inverness meet the same fate?

najaB

Veteran Member
Bear in mind Leeds Bradford has just had its expansion plans kicked into the very long grass by the UK Government. Will Inverness meet the same fate?
In theory, any expansion would be financed by HIAL rather than HM Government so, as long as they don't intend on changing the aerodrome itself (e.g. runway extension) then the UK government wouldn't have much say in the matter (planning is a matter for the Scottish Government).

Deltic1961

Can anyone explain why there still seems to be a speed restriction coming in to Aberdeen from Inverness. Every single journey the trains get to Bedford Retail Park and instantly slow down to 30.

I'm aware the Wolmanhill tunnel is single track but that seems a fair distance out to slam the anchors on.

Even on a HST running 10 minutes late on Friday the same thing happened. What's the point of spending all that money for trains to travel at a snail's pace?

och aye

NR press release with some artist impressions. No information on a completion date though.

The Highland Council's planning committee has unanimously approved proposals which will see a new railway station built at Inverness Airport.

The plans for this station will see the construction of a two-platform station on the Aberdeen-Inverness line, with step-free access via a footbridge with lifts, adjacent to Inverness Airport.

The station will have parking for 64 cars with 10 electric charging facilities, four disabled spaces and cycle parking.

The development also comes with the advantage of closing the level crossing at Petty which will improve the safety of the line and the operation of the new station.

The planning application was submitted back in December 2020 following extensive engagement with the community – which was carried out online due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Tormod

Can anyone explain why there still seems to be a speed restriction coming in to Aberdeen from Inverness. Every single journey the trains get to Bedford Retail Park and instantly slow down to 30.

I'm aware the Wolmanhill tunnel is single track but that seems a fair distance out to slam the anchors on.

Even on a HST running 10 minutes late on Friday the same thing happened. What's the point of spending all that money for trains to travel at a snail's pace?
Open Railway Maps show the line speed reducing from 75 to 40bst Berryden.

Deltic1961

Cheers for the info. Checked again yesterday and the train slowed to 38 after Berryden.

CEN60

Has an official railway station name and a three-letter station code been given to the proposed station that is said to serve Inverness Airport?
The NR Project Team (and designers) now refer to it as Inverness Airport Station - I don't know if it has a 3 letter code assigned yet.

najaB

Veteran Member
Has an official railway station name and a three-letter station code been given to the proposed station that is said to serve Inverness Airport?
Logically it should be named Dalcross but I suspect that Inverness Airport will probably win out. There's no need for a CRS code until tickets start to be priced so we're a bit off that date, though IVA is currently unallocated and would make sense if they go with the airport name.

CEN60

Logically it should be named Dalcross but I suspect that Inverness Airport will probably win out. There's no need for a CRS code until tickets start to be priced so we're a bit off that date, though IVA is currently unallocated and would make sense if they go with the airport name.
It was referred to a Dalcross way back - but as I said above the project team now refer to it as Inverness Airport Station (for the record platform 1 will be on the airport side and platform 2 will be on the to be constructed loop.

Moderator note: for progress updates regarding the new station at Inverness airport please use the following thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/inverness-airport-railway-station-progress-updates.223738/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.