• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abnormalties at Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

Can anyone explain the following:
  • An ex-Central Trains/London Midland 150 on the northbound mail rail bay
  • Another Northern 150 on Platform 0
  • A York-bound train on Platform 4
?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Off Peak Stabled Spare?
Why there? TPE use Platform 7 don't they so why can't Northern?

Blackpool / Preston - Hazel Grove / Victroria Service?
From 0? Nobody would walk the 500 or so metres around the station and surrounding area to access the mail terminal where 0 is.[/QUOTE]

Blackpool North - York Service?
More than likely, but it stayed in for longer than it should, so maybe PRE-YRK.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
?

I have never heard of 0 at Preston, I call the RES platforms the RES platforms (which can be used for passengers if the need be, but very, very rarely), and the one next to six 7: I take it you may mean the latter as I think it is sometimes called 0 by staff. If so, I suspect it was an ECS movement, and the train at the north of 3 being stabled there.

158s to York can use either 2 or 4, it isn't actually too uncommon for BPN-YRK trains to be in there if something's in 2 (indeed I have been into 4 in the past with a Blackpool South-bound train!).

PR1Berske

Established Member
  • An ex-Central Trains/London Midland 150 on the northbound mail rail bay
?

Platform 0? We don't have a platform 0?

driver9000

Established Member
Nothing abnormal at all.

An ex-Central Trains/London Midland 150 on the northbound mail rail bay?

Stabled between duties. North Bay and Pitt Street sidings are the normal stabling points for Northern sets between turns. I would guess the one you saw, depending on the time, formed part of the 15:23 or 16:23 Buxton service.

Another Northern 150 on Platform 0

No such platform. I assume you mean the PCD in which case it will be stabled between duties.

A York-bound train on Platform 4

This happens from time to time.

I have never heard platform 7 referred to as 0, it is more often referred to as platform 9 which it was in the days of the ReS platforms/sidings being through platforms. Stabling of trains on 7 is usually avoided because of the need to maintain access to Dock Street yard where the Tampers are kept. That's not to say trains don't get stabled there though.

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
The ex-CT/LM 150 would be there as units are sometimes stabled there between diagrams, especially before the 1623 to Buxton.

Platform 7 is the Up Loop, I've never known anything to use it apart from steam specials and charters.

The xx54 York service may use 4 if the xx49 Man Vic service is late departing platform 2.

From 0? Nobody would walk the 500 or so metres around the station and surrounding area to access the mail terminal where 0 is.

You're right, nobody would walk around the whole station and down Christian Road, they'd use the subway (through the red double doors) to get to the old parcels platforms.

VTPreston_Tez

I was on the late xx49 from Piccadilly, sums that up.
Why not use 4c for said service as upon arrival in the rickety Pacer, the train used the Ormskirk tracks up until the last minute.
Oh and I've seen a whole host of trains on P7, most recently 185109 and I have a video of said train here.
What double doors, I've never seen them!

Lampshade

Established Member
I was on the late xx49 from Piccadilly, sums that up.
Why not use 4c for said service as upon arrival in the rickety Pacer, the train used the Ormskirk tracks up until the last minute.
Oh and I've seen a whole host of trains on P7, most recently 185109 and I have a video of said train here.

There is no xx49 from Piccadilly :?

Yes because 4c would work for a service arriving from Blackpool :roll:

Nothing in regular passenger service uses P7. The one in the video is quite obviously out of service, probably on an ECS move or awaiting assistance and is therefore using the Up Loop.

What double doors, I've never seen them!

At the end of the subway: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/PRE/images/photos/800/o2782-0000068.jpg

driver9000

Established Member
There is no xx49 from Piccadilly :?

Yes because 4c would work for a service arriving from Blackpool :roll:

Nothing in regular passenger service uses P7. The one in the video is quite obviously out of service, probably on an ECS move or awaiting assistance and is therefore using the Up Loop.

At the end of the subway: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/PRE/images/photos/800/o2782-0000068.jpg

The xx:49 arrival from Hazel Grove calls at Piccadilly.

How would 4c work for a service from Blackpool? It is a south facing bay.

Platform 7 is on the up and down goods loop so isn't able to passenger trains under normal circumstances.

Lampshade

Established Member
The xx:49 arrival from Hazel Grove calls at Piccadilly.

Aha, I was thinking of services from Piccadilly, there's a xx46 and a xx54 :oops:

How would 4c work for a service from Blackpool? It is a south facing bay.

That's what I was pointing out, must have misunderstood what VTPreston_Tez meant. Seems he was wondering why the Preston terminator doesn't use 4c.

driver9000

Established Member
The terminating service from Hazel Grove doesn't use 4c because it would conflict with the Birmingham-Edinburgh Voyager. There is also the issue of strengthening the Hazel Grove/Buxton service as 4c can't hold a 4 car 15x train, certain services throughout the day either detach or attach portions during the layover.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I suppose a 'Preston general' thread could be started for this, but whilst we're on the subject...

What roles, if any, will 3c and 4c have in the future? With electrification and all that comes from that, including alleged additional services and routes, and any RUS-inspired rejigging of platform layouts, there must be someone somewhere with a map of the station wondering if anything can fit.

3c and 4c are obviously most commonly used with the Ormskirk service, and a very good fit they are too. Is it likely that they'd have nothing added at all?

driver9000

Established Member
The downfall of 3c and 4c is their length, 3 coaches is tight enough. Without lengthening at least one could become redundant when the electrification projects are complete (assuming 4 coach EMUs). The easiest way to expand the capacity of Preston station is to return the PCD and platform 7 to passenger use, although this would depend on what the service pattern is intended to be in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.