• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

About the clocks going forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Nothing to stop the Scots keeping GMT, rather a case of the tail wagging the dog here.

A different time zone for Scotland would not cause anywhere near the problems that people will insist on creating. How on earth do they think other large Countries with differing internal time zones operate ??

Totally agree with this, it shouldn't be a big deal either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Very true. However we're fairly thin as a country, so there is no need to go out of our way to cause that little extra annoyance (although alienating the Scottish... :D)!

As I can't see it ever happening, I am now going to stop caring.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Very true. However we're fairly thin as a country, so there is no need to go out of our way to cause that little extra annoyance (although alienating the Scottish... :D)!

As I can't see it ever happening, I am now going to stop caring.

It wouldn't alienate me at all, the little scotlanders perhaps, or the gaelic mafia for sure though.

HST Power

Established Member
Anything that would give darker mornings is good in my opinion!

Darker mornings is better than dark evenings. I hate it in the winter. It's bright at 16:20 when I leave the station, yet when my train gets back at 16:50, it's completely dark.

Established Member
I might not agree with a lot of what Europe has to offer the UK but I do support this proposal which brings us in line with Spain, France etc...

If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for us!
Sure I remember reading somewhere recently that Spain were in fact considering moving to GMT/BST.

HST Power

Established Member
They are only the hour hour ahead of GMT. It wouldn't make much difference.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Sure I remember reading somewhere recently that Spain were in fact considering moving to GMT/BST.

Next door Portugal as always been GMT/BST, I am old enough to just remember the one years experiment when we tried CET for a year, it was a total disaster for a lot of industries, building,Agriculture etc, schools noting more accidents in the mornings, even with GMT the building trade have two weeks off at Xmas the darkest mornings.
There is only the same amount of Daylight whatever, I don't see a change, or the need for one, in my opinion, Also all passenger aircraft throughout Europe
use GMT zulu time for flights administration, or did a few years ago when I was involved with air freight.

Bob

HST Power

Established Member
Next door Portugal as always been GMT/BST, I am old enough to just remember the one years experiment when we tried CET for a year, it was a total disaster for a lot of industries, building,Agriculture etc, schools noting more accidents in the mornings, even with GMT the building trade have two weeks off at Xmas the darkest mornings.
There is only the same amount of Daylight whatever, I don't see a change, or the need for one, in my opinion, Also all passenger aircraft throughout Europe
use GMT zulu time for flights administration, or did a few years ago when I was involved with air freight.

Bob

I think the morale of the story is that we should just leave all clocks alone! ;)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
schools noting more accidents in the mornings

I've sure I've read elsewhere that the statistics do not back this assertion up- that this is merely "common knowledge" that is wrong. Unless you have numbers that say otherwise? Show your working.
Edit: the references linked here suggest you're wrong. Further, the NFU are neutral, a slight majority of farmers are in favour, and a slight majority of Scots in favour. Your arguement is looking a bit shaky here Bob.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I've sure I've read elsewhere that the statistics do not back this assertion up- that this is merely "common knowledge" that is wrong. Unless you have numbers that say otherwise? Show your working.
Edit: the references linked here suggest you're wrong. Further, the NFU are neutral, a slight majority of farmers are in favour, and a slight majority of Scots in favour. Your arguement is looking a bit shaky here Bob.

The NFU is only one Farming union covering England , there are others covering Wales,Scotland & NI, as for the Scots being in favour?
I do recall at the last trial, huge outcry from parents & schools over safety after a few weeks into the trial, I don't have figures, but recall an increase in accidents in the media.
Also the figures for Scotland are only on a sample of 3000 by a utilities company, Scotland remains opposed by those who govern .Also Rospa only suggests less accidents,suggests is the key word
Whatever occurs the hours of daylight can not be changed by politicians, thankfully.

Last edited:

Any Permitted

I've noticed that since the change the clocks in Norwich station have been synchronised perfectly. Before Saturday the clock on platform 5/6 was about 30 seconds out from the clock on platform 1/2.

Established Member
Next door Portugal as always been GMT/BST,..............
I also seem to recollect that Portugal once tried CET (maybe at the same time as we did here?) and , likewise, did not pursue the experiment. Changing the time when I go abroad doesn't bother me in the slightest though I did find it slightly unusual doing railtours from Portugal that went into Spain and back again in the same day.

Invincibles

The train north across the Thailand Malaysia border is funny, because that has a 1 hour difference for no obvious reason.

I have got used to it now, and do enjoy the journeys around there :D

Bomber

I also seem to recollect that Portugal once tried CET (maybe at the same time as we did here?) and , likewise, did not pursue the experiment. Changing the time when I go abroad doesn't bother me in the slightest though I did find it slightly unusual doing railtours from Portugal that went into Spain and back again in the same day.
Portugal used to be on European time, but changed to our time some years back. They are on the same line as Ireland so it was farcical for them to be in the same time zone as say Germany.
Changing the time zone by 1 hour does not have much effect if you just cross from one country to another like that but consider this, Lisbon is about 6 degrees west and Berlin is 13 deg east, so as the time difference is 1 hour for every 15 deg, the sun rises in Berlin about and hour and 20 minutes before Lisbon, so in the winter it means that whilst Berliners are going to work in broad daylight, in Portugal it was still totally dark.
It's an east west thing so having different iytme zones between England and Scotland is a nonsense as we are on the same Longitude. There will always be shorter days in Scotland in the winter as the sun is lower to the horizon all day, conversley they get longer daylight in the summer.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I was thinking for a moment then, I thought "there is no trains crossing the international date line"

With the Chinese thinking about trains to England...

Remember the Chinese diesels in Bolivia, they could not get up the switches due to the altitude, and had to power them double the horsepower of steam trains to climb, I recall a tv programme about it, the steam trains although ageing were far more efficient, & the Chinese diesels cost a fortune in fuel.

Bob

HST Power

Established Member
Remember the Chinese diesels in Bolivia, they could not get up the switches due to the altitude, and had to power them double the horsepower of steam trains to climb, I recall a tv programme about it, the steam trains although ageing were far more efficient, & the Chinese diesels cost a fortune in fuel.

Bob

I wonder how much they pay in china for diesel. I think I might have scene that programme as well. Was it on BBC1?

Invincibles

The Chinese diesels do seem to be quite old, they sound like I remember UK ones being a long time ago. Very thoughtfully they run all night past my apartment which is very good for sleep.

Diesel must be very cheap, taxi drivers are not exactly fuel efficient and charge 80p for a decent length journey (can be up to 10 minutes at that) which does suggest there is cheap fuel.

I did assume they would be sending something a little faster than the train that does Beijing to Shanghai in 8 hours, never mind the diesels that take more than a day :lol:

HST Power

Established Member
The Chinese diesels do seem to be quite old, they sound like I remember UK ones being a long time ago. Very thoughtfully they run all night past my apartment which is very good for sleep.

That's unlucky! You should get triple glazing or something to get the noise down! :)

HST Power

Established Member
BBC1 or BBC2, It was on something like great Rail Journeys of the world,

Bob

Yes! I did see it after all!

There was another programme as well on BBC1 about St Pancras. Some guy was walking along the roof (I think he was interested in architecure!) :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I did assume they would be sending something a little faster than the train that does Beijing to Shanghai in 8 hours, never mind the diesels that take more than a day :lol:

I thought the new flagship High Speed Line was gonna be doing the full journey (1318km/824mi) in 5 hours - a little over 160mph.

Amazingly the all-stopper Train 1461/2 still remains to this date. It used to take 24 hours to do the journey when I sampled it in 1993, and still takes as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.