• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accident at Welshpool (16 July 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
Give it 6 months for the 'magic' medicine to take effect and he will be cured! <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
How many times do we hear about prosecutions for serious offences being dropped due to the ill health of the defendant who then goes on to enjoy a long and fruitful life?

I suppose I am just a cynical old git!

fsmr

Going back some posts, I do find it very worrying that the requirement to caution the next train through at a UWC was removed for small vehicles
After all, as was proven at Ufton Nervet and earlier this month in New York, even a family car can cause mass death and serious injury to passengers on board a train in the wrong conditions. With technology now, surely it cannot be that hard to fit a small CCTV to the phone connection to allow some images to be picked up either of the LC or user to use to give some reassurance if the user forgets to call back. Or even for identification and subsequent prosecution for misuse. One would hope of course if the vehicle gets stuck, they would call back to warn first but I would guarantee most people would believe making that initial call would protect them until they were across

Tomnick

Established Member
Going back some posts, I do find it very worrying that the requirement to caution the next train through at a UWC was removed for small vehicles
After all, as was proven at Ufton Nervet and earlier this month in New York, even a family car can cause mass death and serious injury to passengers on board a train in the wrong conditions. With technology now, surely it cannot be that hard to fit a small CCTV to the phone connection to allow some images to be picked up either of the LC or user to use to give some reassurance if the user forgets to call back. Or even for identification and subsequent prosecution for misuse. One would hope of course if the vehicle gets stuck, they would call back to warn first but I would guarantee most people would believe making that initial call would protect them until they were across
There is, at least, a requirement to instruct users to cross quickly and call back immediately if there's a problem - for those cases where a call back isn't required. I suppose it's a case of weighing the risk of a user getting stuck and failing to phone immediately against the risk arising from stopping and cautioning for misuse on a much more frequent basis and from impatient users not waiting for permission to cross (they might have to wait much longer if signal protection is to be provided and a call back requested).

bnm

Established Member
How many times do we hear about prosecutions for serious offences being dropped due to the ill health of the defendant who then goes on to enjoy a long and fruitful life?

I don't know how many times. Care to back up your assertion with some verifiable examples?

hounddog

I don't know how many times. Care to back up your assertion with some verifiable examples?

More to the point how often do we hear about the vast majority of cases where the outcome is as the medics predicted?

IanD

Established Member

I think I provided one earlier but here's 2 more:

Ronnie Biggs allegedly on the verge of death lived on for many years. Maybe not a fruitful life but it wasn't a fruitful life before he was banged up.

That Lockerbie bomber Alec Salmond released and sent home to Libya was also supposed to be on the verge of death.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle

I suppose I am just a cynical old git!

The medical evidence would have to be justified for the prosecution to drop the case,some can be given weeks to live, but last for months or vice versa.A Crown Court Judge as to satisfied of the medical condition.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I think I provided one earlier but here's 2 more:

Ronnie Biggs allegedly on the verge of death lived on for many years. Maybe not a fruitful life but it wasn't a fruitful life before he was banged up.

That Lockerbie bomber Alec Salmond released and sent home to Libya was also supposed to be on the verge of death.

While I agree with your general point, as I recall al-Megrahi certainly looked at death's door when he was released and only lived for 3 more years, I suppose prediction is difficult with cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.