• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Smash and grab raid 07 March

As I have been stuck for a while in terms of clearing my Scotrail diesel fleet requirements and my 4 remaining VTEC IC125 powercars, with many thanks to forum member 37078xotTE, my targetted requirements except 2 VTEC powercars were gettable today. Having worked out a plan, it was out of the door for the short walk to Barnhill station to board dud 318265 to Glasgow Queen Street that was on the 14:23 ex Cumbernauld – Dumbarton Central. It was upstairs for the 14:45 Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High formed of required 170456 which was my final Scotrail Class 170, and one of the batch that will be leaving to be transferred to Northern Rail in the near future. On the approach to Haymarket, I had spotted a GWR liveried IC125 set stabled in Platform Zero, but was unable to get the numbers of both powercars.

After alighting from the train at Waverley, I had spotted 68028 between P16+17 before going for a brief wander to try out the VTEC ticket machines. The set up of the machine seems to have a lot of unnecessary steps to go through to purchase required tickets, and does not seem to be user friendly at all. Anyway, it was over to Platform 15 to board the 16:00 Dundee limited stop formed of dud 170471 for the northbound run to Kirkcaldy. It was over to the southbound platform for the 8 minutes delayed 16:46 ex Aberdeen – London Kings Cross formed of required 43257+ dud 274 for a southbound run to Inverkeithing.

Having made my way over to the northbound platform, it was soon onboard the 17:22 ex Edinburgh Waverley – Dundee formed of a very heavily loaded and required 158867 for the northbound run to Ladybank. After participating in what felt like a hiking expedition to get to the southbound platform (the steps are steep) it was very soon onboard the 18:03 ex Dundee – Edinburgh Waverley formed of the return of dud 170471 to Kirkcaldy. I made my way over to the northbound platform for the 18:36 ex Edinburgh Waverley – Glenrothes with Thornton (continuing to Waverley via Dunfermline) formed of required 158734 with me having cleared all of the Haymarket based Class 158s. With me having bailed at Glenrothes with Thornton, it was to Inverkeithing on the 18:59 formed of dud 170459.

It is noted that I had earlier spotted a chance to score the visit of Edinburgh Gateway, but as the 19:44 was delayed by 5 or 6 minutes, this broke the connection with the 19:52 Inverness train. There was also an option of the 20:11 Dundee, but would only have left me with a minute to get between the platforms at Inverkeithing for my final southbound requirements. Needless to say, I abandoned scoring the visit of Gateway and went for a gentle wander, heading back to the station for the 20:27 ex Aberdeen – Leeds formed of dud 43307+ required 308 for the run to Edinburgh Waverley. I returned west on the 21:00 Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High on dud pair 170428+433, and back to Barnhill on much to my surprise dud pair (a rare sight on the Springburn route) 318266+252 that was on the 22:06 ex Dumbarton Central – Cumbernauld.

Overall, I felt it was a satisfying and rewarding exercise, as regarding the Scotrail diesel fleet, I only require 156453 and 3 of the Inverness based Class 158s. I have got another couple of VTEC powercars, of which the only 2 I require are 43206 and 320. Furthermore, I am viewing this trip today as a gentle warm up session for future bashing trips as the mid April one involes me indulging in some masochism.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news on finally clearing the Scottish 170s and also Haymarket 158s :)

Hopefully those last 2x VTEC 43s will pop on on "North of Edinburgh" VTEC workings soon.

adrock1976

Established Member
Northern £10 Newspaper offer 23 March

As this is my first serious bashing trip of 2018, I decided to take advantage of the newspaper offer before the promotion expires for the Easter break. I had a couple of ideas with the first one being to visit stations in Yorkshire that have an irregular frequency (such as the likes of Arram, Wressle, Eastrington, Broomfleet etc), and the second one with me just simply concentrating on required trains for haulage. Having investigated the local buses and finding that they do not provide friendly connections with arrival or departures of the trains, I settled upon the second option. My strategy would be to head to Leeds via Preston first of all, and if there are a string of duds after an hour, I would move on elsewhere.

It was out of the door just after 05:00 for the walk to the bus stop on the main Springburn Road, with the 87 arriving not long to take me to Buchanan Bus Station (this has been retimed 5 minutes earlier from 05:13 to 05:08, meaning that I do not have to have a mad sprint from the bus station to Central station). Having a gentle stroll to Central station and passing the scene of the Sauchiehall Street fire that happened the previous day, it was over to Platform 2 for the 05:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway formed of as expected dud 390119 (I require 3 Pendolinos – 390042, 117, and 134). I had noted that the 05:49 London Euston via Birmingham was formed of as expected dud 221142 (I require 3 Super Voyagers – 221103, 108, and any of the original coaches of 143, as I already had the odd coach that was in 144 last year). Furthermore, the 06:01 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham was an IC125 that had pulled in to Platform 1 just before the 05:40 departed, with the leading powercar being 43357 (I did not get the rear as I was not properly awake yet).

During the southbound run to Lancaster, the observations were that there was no loco for the Edinburgh portion of the sleeper at Carstairs yet, 66729, 66120, 68016, 37619, and various other locos were spotted at Kingmoor, 57311 in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle, and dud 185130 was on the 07:33 Windermere shuttle. Having ditched the 390 at Lancaster, I went upstairs as previously to purchase the rover, and continued to Preston on the 07:48 ex Barrow-in-Furness – Manchester Airport formed of required185112. Upon arrival at Preston, there appeared to be a problem with the train coupling up to the portion that would be starting from there (what would normally be the portion from Blackpool North, as the line is closed for electrification works). When the doors were eventually released, I had a look at what the front portion, which was dud 185144 (and would later turn out to also be mechanically dud as the 08:13 Manchester Airport was delayed, and I saw 144 heading north through Platform 5 around 20 minutes or so later on).

Other observations at Preston were that 150204+156420 were on the 08:20 Hazel Grove with 142062 uncoupled at Platform 5, 390131 on the 08:15 Glasgow Central, 350406+403 on the 08:25 Edinburgh, 319383 on the 08:30 Liverpool Lime Street limited stop, 156444+428 on the 09:05 Manchester Airport, 156489+150271 on the 09:07 Blackpool South, 150106 on the 09:21 Hazel Grove, 156428 on the 08:44 Manchester Victoria, and a 221 stabled at the North Union Railway/Rail Express Systems platform. It is noted that for some of the above, I was basing this on the departure screen of the terminating trains that arrived. Having purchased some tea and something light from one of the catering stalls at Platform 3+4, it was onboard the 08:38 York via Bradford formed of required 158784for the run to Leeds.

After alighting from the train at Leeds (Platform 12), I rapidly made my way over to Platform 3 so as to check the 11:59 York via Harrogate which was dud 150228+ required 150145. I hopped onboard for the short run to Headingley, and returned back to Leeds on the 10:41 ex Knaresborough, which was much of an unexpected surprise as it was required 155346 to finally clear the whole class of seven.

The next hour was a string of duds (I did note a couple of required 333s in case I needed a get out of jail free card) with me about to move along elsewhere, when I had spotted 2 requirements heading in opposite directions. Platform 13had a required 144 on the 11:56 Huddersfield local, while an empty coaching stock working from Neville Hill had a required 142 at the rear of the formation arriving at Platform 11a. Having worked out online that this is the 11:52 Leeds – Selby, I hopped onboard required 142066for the short run to Garforth (possibly unintentionally scoring the scissors crossover from 11a to the centre track), and back to Leeds around 10 minutes later on the 12:15 ex Selby – Huddersfield via Bradford on dud 150118, ending my winning streak of required haulages of which I had five in a row so far.

Making my way over to Platform 17 it was onboard the 12:40 Sheffield via Barnsley limited stop formed of required 158816for the run to Wakefield Kirkgate. While I was here, I hung around for the 13:06 ex London Kings Cross – Bradford Interchange for the remote possibility that 180104 would be on it. Alas, it was not, therefore my attention switched to see if the 13:31 Knottingley was required, but was a dud 150. However, I did note that there was a required 142 on the 13:04 ex Huddersfield – Wakefield Westgate returning at 13:50. As the 13:25 Nottingham was a dud 158, I decided to return to Leeds on the slightly delayed 13:28 ex Sheffield limited stop formed of dud 158906, then immediately made my way over from Platform 17 to Platform 13 at Leeds for the 13:56 Huddersfield local formed of required 144023(that I noted earlier) for the run to Deighton.

As I had notification during the run to Deighton that of one of my required dogboxes on the 14:49 Leeds – Carlisle, this was no longer gettable for me today, however, former Great Western Railway 150124 was on the Southport – Manchester Airport diagrams. As this was one of my remaining GWR 150/1 (the other being 126, running around as 926 with one of the odd coaches from an accident in the 1980s/90s in the centre of the formation, due to leave GWR towards the end of 2018), I worked out a plan to grab it for haulage before crossing west of the Pennines. After alighting at Deighton, it was over to the northbound platform for the 14:35 ex Huddersfield – Wakefield Westgate formed of required 142063that I noted earlier for the short run to Mirfield. I noticed that the 14:36 ex Manchester Victoria – Leeds via Hebden Bridge had not arrived yet as it was delayed by 8 minutes. I did think about attempting to quickly score Cottingley, but worked out that it would not be possible due to the length of delay and the main standard pattern frequency being every 60 minutes there.

As it was possible for me to grab a required 142 before leaving, I took the 14:48 ex Leeds – Manchester Victoria via Hebden Bridge formed of dud 158755 for the short run to Brighouse, then a few moments later on the 15:04 ex Huddersfield – Leeds via Bradford on dud 142086 to Halifax. I then waited for the 15:20 ex Selby – Huddersfield formed of required 142061to take me to Huddersfield. I took a break here to nip to the Tesco store to pick up some provisions, and after I went back to the station, I spotted a required 144 on the 16:13 Sheffield via Penistone which would have to wait another day. It was over to Platform 4 to say goodbye to Yorkshire and get myself west of the Pennines onboard the 16:15 Huddersfield – Wigan Wallgate via Manchester Victoria formed of dud pair 142022+055 for the run to Salford Crescent, with some 1985 style thrash through Standedge Tunnel.

WhileI worked out how to get 150124 and to save a run to Bolton and back, I switched plan slightly upon arriving at Salford Crescent with it unknown to me at the time (due to me forgetting to check the calling points on the screen), this is where I made a big boo-boo in realising the next Piccadilly bound train did not call at Deansgate.I hopped onboard the 17:24 Manchester Airport formed of dud 156440+required 142027intending to bail at Deansgate so as to meet 150124. Although the train came to a halt at the platform, it dawned on me that I had made the boo-boo when the doors were not released meaning that I had missed 150124. I bailed at Oxford Road and worked out that I could get it later before heading home.

I returned back to Salford Crescent on the 17:49 ex Airport – Barrow-in-Furness formed of dud pair (one from earlier) 185144+112,with it being announced that144 would be uncoupled at Preston, with passengers for Barrow-in-Furness to usethe rear 3 coaches (seems the coupling mechanism at one of the ends of 144 is knackered, basing it on the problems at Preston this morning). 66752 was spotted hauling Tarmac wagons northbound before hopping onboard the 18:16 ex Huddersfield – Wigan Wallgate formed of required 150142+dud 142035for the run toFarnworth (this is the train that calls at Clifton Mon-Fri evenings, with there being one passenger who alighted today much to my surprise).

Looking at the map of the local area and even though both Moses Gate and Kearsley stations seem a short walk, it can be a bit deceptive as there does not appear to be any way to follow the railway line in a straight line. Furthermore, it was also getting to the time of day where there are one or 2 final trains that call and bearing in mind that I did not have a get out of jail free card here, I decided to hang about and keep an eye on the screens in case of delays. Around 15 minutes or so it was onboard the 18:47 ex Wigan Wallgate – Manchester Victoria formed of dud 150108for the brief run to the opposite side of the tunnel to Kearsley.Making my way over to the northbound platform it was soon onboard the 18:53 ex Manchester Victoria – Wigan Wallgate formed of dud 142051for the run all the way to Wigan. Soon, it was the moment I had been waiting for and also to not let a certain Class 150 slip away from me. I hopped onboard the 19:29 ex Southport – Manchester Victoria via Atherton formed of dud150148+ required150124for a run to Hindley, and back to Wallgate on the 19:40 ex Huddersfield formed of dud pair156429+142043.

Walking over the road to North Western, the 20:05 ex Liverpool LS – Preston had been cancelled and the 19:50 ex Preston – Liverpool LS was delayed by 35 minutes. Having had spotted 66x99 heading southbound from the Wallgate lines, I hopped onboard the 10 minutes delayed 20:01 ex London Euston – Lancaster formed of dud 390020 for the run to Preston. Being as the 20:53 ex Euston – Glasgow Central via Birmingham was at that time running 20 minutes behind schedule (according to Real Time Trains it arrived 30 minutes late at Glasgow), I boarded the 20:41 ex Euston via Trent Valley Railway formed of a very busy until Oxenholme and dud 390153 for the uneventful northbound run to Glasgow Central. Making my way to Queen Street passing various Friday night drunks along the way, I returned home to Barnhill on the 23:34 ex Dumbarton Central on dud 334009.

Overall, I am satisfied with my haulage requirements today in that I managed to get 150124 and have reduced my Class 142 requirements as well. At the time of this report, I require 14 Class 142s, 5 144s, 6 150s, still 4 153s, 6 156s, and 9 158s out of the Northern diesel fleet. Out of the electric fleet, I only require 5 Class 333s east of the Pennines, while west I require 25 Class 319s/769s.

adrock1976

Established Member
East Midlands Day Ranger 12 April

As I had my quarterly meeting in London, I decided to have an attempt at reducing my East Midlands requirements which was helped by a combination of me having some Delay Repay vouchers to use and with the overnight Caledonian Sleeper having extortionate fares (not helped with the muck up of the fares during the transition phase from the present BR SLE stock to the new Mk V stock). I had decided to slum it in the seats from Dalmuir to Crewe as the fare was reasonable in comparison to the berth. Furthermore, as I would be at Crewe first thing in the morning, this meant that I could score the visits of Winsford, Acton Bridge, and Wrenbury as the timings work out better than doing those before the 20:09 ex Euston – Glasgow Central which is the last direct train on Sundays to Fridays. Also, while in the East Midlands, I had worked out that if I could get to Derby just before 22:00, I could do the PSUL track via Alrewas and Lichfield City heading to Birmingham, and if lucky as well, I could also do the PSUL track from Perry Barr South – West Junctions to complete the right hand side of that triangle (I already completed the other sides years ago, and also at the Soho end as I done Soho North – East Junctions back in 1989/90 on an additional football special from Stourbridge Junction – Bescot in a Class 115/116).

Having set out the previous night just after 22:40 for the short walk to Barnhill, it was on the 22:55 Balloch via Yoker formed of dud 334009 for the run to Dalmuir. Around a chilly 20 minutes later it was on the 5 minutes delayed 23:52 ex Fort William – London Euston sleeper with this portion being hauled by dud 73967 as far as Edinburgh Waverley via Westerton and Airdrie. Being as I was in the seats, this meant that I had to alight at Edinburgh and walk along the same platform face from 19 to 2 to use the seated coach in the portion that has arrived from Aberdeen. 67030 had hauled the portion from Inverness, which would couple up to both the portions that had arrived from Aberdeen and Fort William. Of note, the electric loco that would be hauling all three coupled portions to London was dud 92010. I did manage to get a couple of naps after the train left Edinburgh 10 minutes or so behind schedule at 01:48, with arrival into Platform 6 at Crewe being 10 minutes or so ahead of schedule at 05:26 (I may have unintentionally scored a microgrice into this platform from the Warrington Bank Quay direction). I have come to the conclusion that slumming it in the seats would only be done as a last resort, as my body is not as physically flexible as it was compared to when I was in my twenties and thirties.

After nipping outside for some fresh air to try to help me wake up slightly, it was a hike over to Platform 12 for the 06:03 Liverpool Lime Street formed of required 350369 for a run to Winsford, then 30 minutes later it was on the 06:42 ex Crewe – Liverpool LS formed of required 350121 for the northbound run to Acton Bridge. I made my way to the southbound island platform to return to Crewe on the 06:57 ex Liverpool LS – Birmingham New Street formed of dud 350124, arriving into Platform 6. Having got some tea from the Upper Crust on the Platforms 6 to 11 island, it was another hike to Platform 12 for the unusual route 07:34 Birmingham International via Shrewsbury, formed of dud 158838 for a run to the request stop of Wrenbury. 88004+37x08, another 37, a 57, and 68011 were some of the locos that were spotted at Gresty Bridge soon after departing Crewe. It is noted that there was one other passenger who alighted at Wrenbury with me, with nobody boarding at all. I returned back to Crewe after a 50 minute fester (better than 2-2 ½ hour fester, and there being only 4 or 5 bus journeys to Nantwich) on the 08:34 ex Llandrindod Wells formed of dud 150217, with one other passenger who boarded the train with me and nobody alighting. Upon arrival at Crewe, 57307 was spotted in the goods line west of Platform 12 with its headlights facing London.

Making my way over to Platform 4 it was onboard the 09:02 London Euston via Stoke-on-Trent formed of required 350371 for a run to Kidsgrove, then 5 minutes or so later onboard the 09:23 ex Crewe – Derby formed of dud 153385 to Longport. 10 minutes or so later, it was on the 09:39 ex Derby – Crewe formed of dud 153319 for the short run back to Kidsgrove. After making my way over to the London platform from Stockport, I had noted that the 09:30 ex Manchester Piccadilly – Stoke-on-Trent was delayed by 25 minutes, therefore I hung about to see if on the remote off-chance that it would be a Class 319. This train was as expected a 323 which the whole class is dud for me anyway. Having nipped to the lavatory to get changed and after purchasing some tea from the community cafe stall in the waiting room, I made my way over to Platform 3 for the 10:21 ex Crewe – Derby to reboard dud 153319 for some dogbox thrash all the way to Derby. As I had spotted dud 153379 at Stoke-on-Trent on the third Derby – Crewe diagram, this meant that I need not bother wasting time in trying to score the visits of Blyth Bridge, Tutbury & Hatton, and Peartree today, instead concentrating on heading to Nottingham to see if I can reduce my requirements there.

After arriving into Platform 5 and having spotted 50008 parked near the southern end of Platform 1, I hung about to see a dud 170 on the 11:40 ex Cardiff Central – Nottingham. I hopped onboard the 11:37 ex Nottingham – Cardiff Central formed of required 170102 for a run to Tamworth. I had a few options here to head over to Leicester being to see if a required 170 would be on the 12:07 ex Cardiff – Nottingham and the 12:19 ex Penzance – Glasgow Central to Derby, or to hang about for the 12:20 ex Crewe – London Euston for a run to Nuneaton. The 12:07 was dud, as was the 12:20 Euston (I had positioned myself near the top of the stairs that link the Derby platform to the London platform) so it was back to Derby on the 12:19 formed of required 220140 which was a 4 coach set.

Being as it was lunchtime, I worked out that I could score Spondon soon being as my previous attempt in 2016 had failed due to the line being blocked that had been caused by a broken down freight train. First of all, it was onboard the 12:52 ex Newark Castle – Matlock formed of required 156401 to Duffield, then on the 13:03 to Spondon formed of required 156473. Having had a wander to the Texaco garage along the main Nottingham Road to pick up a couple of light snacks (be warned that for anything half decent, you would need to rob a bank first due to the prices that are charged), I returned to Derby on the 13:44 ex Newark Castle – Matlock formed of required pair 153381+153376 spotting 66726 near the Platform 4 to 6 island. I next hopped onboard the 14:01 ex Sheffield – London St Pancras formed of required 222006 for a run to Leicester, then immediately to adjacent Platform 4 for the 14:26 Lincoln Central formed of required 158889 to Nottingham.

As I have now unintentionally hit upon a winning formula in relation to reducing my East Midlands IC125 powercars, and also unintentionally landing some required Sprinters on the Leicester – Lincoln Central diagrams, most of the remaining day’s moves are runs between Nottingham (NOT) and East Midlands Parkway (EMD). For simplicity and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to linear hops on London Underground with requirements highlighted in bold.

43076+06615:32 NOT – EMD
156415 15:56 EMD – NOT
43048+045 16:30 NOT – EMD
15641316:56 EMD – NOT
43073+04417:32 NOT – EMD (60054 spotted heading in the London direction passing through Platform 3 at NOT)
15647017:58 EMD – NOT (66x06 spotted hauling DB ballast wagons at EMD)
43054+049 18:32 NOT – EMD (departed Platform 7 NOT)
43064+081 18:50 EMD – NOT (my luck ran out with required powercars)
15649719:20 NOT – Beeston
153376+381 19:35 Beeston – NOT

As I was also keeping a look out for required Sprinters and noting them, there was a required Class 156 on the Nottingham – Worksop diagrams. It was onboard the same pair of dogboxes that I had arrived at Nottingham on my previous move that was on the 19:55 Worksop for a run to Bulwell, scoring a bit of new track. I had around a 10 minute fester before heading back to Nottingham on the 20:14 ex Worksop formed of as expected required 156406. Of the required Sprinters I made a note of earlier, it was over to Platform 7 for the 20:35 Leicester local formed of required pair of dogboxes 153321+383 for a run to (yes, you’ve guessed correctly) East Midlands Parkway, returning back to Nottingham on as expected dud 156413 that was on the 20:58 ex Leicester – Lincoln Central. As I needed to be at Derby before 22:00 to do both my PSUL moves, I headed there on the 21:20 calling all stations except Spondon that was formed of as expected required 156498.

Around 15 minutes or so later it was onboard the 22:02 ex Newcastle Central – Birmingham New Street formed of dud pair 220034+220003. This is the train that is the PSUL which diverges onto the former London & North Western Railway metals at Wichnor Junction and runs to Birmingham via Alrewas, Lichfield City, and Aston, with me finally scoring the track between Wichnor Junction and Lichfield. Upon arrival at Birmingham, it was time to position myself for the second PSUL move by taking the 23:10 ex Wolverhampton – London Euston via Northampton to Birmingham International onboard dud 390124 (no, that is not a typo as this is the Virgin Intercity that runs via Northampton). Making my way over to Platform 3, I had noticed that my intended train was delayed slightly and having flashbacks to when I was in Sheffield on a Freedom of the North East rover in 2016, the PSUL via the side of Tinsley Yard did not produce due to a 10 minute or so delay. Eventually, it was onboard the 6 minutes delayed 23:27 ex Reading – Birmingham NS formed of dud 220026 and with a huge sigh of relief when the train took the diverging route at Stechford to run to Aston (I already done Stechford – Aston a long time ago) and Perry Barr South – West Junctions, with me having covered all three sides of the triangle there. Arrival at Birmingham was on time at 23:57, with me heading to the tram stop to board required 33 to St Paul’s and to check in to the Hatters hostel (I decided to book a single room as the price was reasonable) to settle for the evening.

Overall, I am happy with today’s efforts in that I have managed to get round to scoring some awkward stations north and south of Crewe, reducing my former East Midlands British Rail requirements, and scoring 2 bits of PSUL track.

adrock1976

Established Member
West Midlands bits and on to London 13 April

Having had a reasonable night’s sleep and checking out after breakfast, I had a gentle stroll to Snow Hill station to purchase the PTE Daytripper with the add on. I could not believe my luck when I went down to Platform 3 for the 09:58 Stratford-upon-Avon via Solihull as it was formed of required 172333. Being as this train is technically a hybrid as one of the driving coaches is from 172338 (also required), with the original driving coach being in (yes, you’ve guessed right) 338. I took up position in the odd coach 50338 for the run to Stratford-upon-Avon Parkway, then over the footbridge for the 10:41 Leamington Spa formed of required 165017 for the run to Bearley where I bailed.

After alighting from the train, I made my way to the bus stop on the main Birmingham Road to await the X20 that would be due at 11:16. The bus was on schedule and after paying the fare I had a short trip along the main road to the general stores at Wootton Wawen. Taking a short walk to the next junction and turning left onto Alcester Road, I eventually saw a railway bridge where the station was sited. It was to the northbound platform for a 10 minute or so fester for the 11:37 Stourbridge Junction via Shirley formed of as expected dud 172343, giving a hand signal to the driver as the train approached as this is a request stop. While onboard I mentioned to the guard that I was alighting at Danzey. It is noted that there were passengers who were requiring the other two request stops of Wood End and The Lakes, and that upon alighting at Danzey and having checked the poster that has the map of the local area, Danzey station does not appear to be near any bus routes at all.

Having switched to the southbound platform it was onboard the 12:01 Stratford-upon-Avon formed of dud 172344 for the run to Wilmcote and back on the same train at 12:33 to Spring Road. I headed to the southbound platform for the 13:19 Whitlock End formed of as expected a required 172338 with me taking up a position in the odd coach 50333 for the run to Shirley. I hung around for the same train at 13:42 with me taking a position this time in the original centre coach for the run to Birmingham Moor Street, spotting 168110 (dud) in Platform 4 that would be on the 14:55 London Marylebone. As I needed to answer the call of nature, I missed out on required 168004 that was on the 14:15 ex Snow Hill – Marylebone.

I had decided to meet 172338 at Solihull as I needed the original coaches being as I already had the originals on 333, so as I do not leave the originals of 338 hanging (I do not want to still be on the hunt for it on 24 December). It was onboard the 14:20 Dorridge formed of dud 172335 to Solihull, then in five minutes it was onboard the 14:37 Kidderminster on as expected 172338 with me taking a position in the original centre coach for the run back to Moor Street. It is noted that as I had spotted dud 168001 heading to Snow Hill earlier that would be on the 15:12 to Marylebone, and the loco hauled 15:55 were dud pair 82301+68008, I decided to head to London on the 14:55 formed of dud 168110, scoring the grice from Platform 4. On passing the depot at Wembley, 68014+82304, 68012, 68013+82302, and 68015 were spotted. After alighting at Marylebone, I waled along Melcombe Street to Baker Street underground stopping off at the Tesco store along the way to pick up some provisions. It was downstairs to the northbound Jubilee Line platform to board required pair 96073+100 to Willesden Green, and a short walk to the Palmers Lodge Hillspring hostel to check in and dump my backpack.

It was back to Willesden Green to board the first southbound train, which was the exact same one I had arrived on. Bailing at Finchley Road, I headed over to Liverpool Street as there was a particular Class 321 I was after before hunting for 150105 on the Bletchley – Bedford route. I hopped onboard the first train, which was dud 21057+058 to Baker Street, then on dud 21419+420 to Liverpool Street. I made my way upstairs to Platform 11 for the 18:45 Southend Victoria formed of required pair 321332+403, with me taking a position in the trailer coach of 403 (there is a possibility that 403 may be heading to Scotland with the trailer coach removed to become a 3 coach Class 320). I had a run to Stratford and headed back to Liverpool Street on the 8 minutes delayed 18:46 ex Norwich formed of dud pair 90005+82107. I then made my way to the underground headed to Euston Square onboard required 21017+018.

I made my way over to Platform 10 at Euston station for the 19:34 Tring formed of dud pair 350101+266 for a run to Kings Langley, then to Watford Junction on the 20:12 ex Tring – Euston on required 350237+ dud 234. I did not have a chance to see if the Class 319 on the St Albans Abbey shuttle was required as the 20:21 ex East Croydon – Milton Keynes Central was delayed by 5 minutes which would now be very tight for the 21:01 Bletchley – Bedford connection. However, the 20:11 ex Euston – Northampton was 8 minutes delayed and soon drew into Platform 8 as I had just got there and was formed of dud pair 350235+236 for the run to Bletchley arriving 6 minutes behind schedule at 20:48. It was over to Platform 6 for the 21:01 Bedford formed of dud 153375 for the run to Ridgmont. After crossing to the Bletchley platform it was onboard the 21:25 ex Bedford – Bletchley formed of required 150105 for the run back to Bletchley with a huge sigh of relief, as my previous attempt back in October 2017 had seen 150105 substituted with 109 as there were mechanical problems with 105 during that week. It is noted that I have finally cleared all three of the London Midland [sic] Class 150s, although the final dogbox 153364 still eludes me.

Having made my way to Platform 4, it was onboard the 21:58 ex Birmingham NS – Euston formed of required 350119+ dud 244 for a southbound run to somewhere. While checking online, I had identified a linear hop by bailing at Cheddington with there being another Euston bound train 15 minutes later (the standard pattern is broadly a train every 60 minutes in both directions). I then hopped onboard the 22:22 ex Milton Keynes Central – Euston formed of as expected dud 350236 straight back to Euston, having visited all of the stations along the London & Birmingham Railway (although I still require Long Buckby, that is on the Northampton loop, which was constructed later when the L&BR merged with other railways to become the London & North Western Railway).

I then made my way to Euston Square for a westbound train in the direction of Baker Street. It was onboard required 21505+506 to Great Portland Street as this was a Hammersmith train, then to Finchley Road on dud 21055+056. I finished off with required pair 96092+045 to Kilburn, then to Willesden Green on required pair 96064+037 to settle down for the night.

Overall, I have managed to clear the West Midlands Class 172s, finally get 150105, having visited all of the stations along the London & Birmingham Railway, and started to reduce some Jubilee Line stock as I have very little of those to date.

Established Member
A nice bit of variety with those last few moves.
I particularly enjoyed reading your visit to my part of the world.

adrock1976

Established Member
London bits 14 and 15 April

14 April

After a goodnight’s sleep (it helps when the dormitory has the beds similar to what can be seen in the famous Marilyn Monroe movie Some Like it Hot that has curtains that can be drawn across – the stage of my life I have now reached) and having had breakfast I had a gentle stroll to Brondesbury station for the 09:52 Stratford formed of dud 378222 for the run to Gospel Oak, then on the 10:05 Barking formed of dud 172008 for the short run to Upper Holloway. I walked to Manor Gardens where my meeting was being held.

When the meeting ended and after some socialising at The Coronet, I had decided that I would have a stab at reducing some of the GWR Class 387s. At the time of this report I require 8 out of the 12 between 130 and 141, which will be used for the Heathrow Express in the near future. I made my way to Highbury & Islington to board a Victoria Line train to Warren Street, which was required 11057+058. I walked along Euston Road to Regents Park to hop onboard dud pair 3546+3299 to Paddington.

As I would be doing short runs within the Travelcard zones I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

387132+165 19:15 Paddington – West Ealing (360205 was at Old Oak Common, therefore saves me a trip to Heathrow. 66040, 091, and 122 were spotted at Acton)
165137 19:31 West Ealing – South Greenford and 19:49 return
387134+148 19:57 West Ealing – Hayes & Harlington (I had just made it after a rapid sprint over the footbridge)
387154+155 20:11 Hayes & Harlington – Ealing Broadway (I picked up some provisions at the Sainsbury's store)
387145+161 20:35 Ealing Broadway – Hayes & Harlington
387136+166 21:11 Hayes & Harlington – Paddington
387157+138 22:12 Paddington – Ealing Broadway
387161+145 22:23 Ealing Broadway – Paddington

I then switched to London Underground and did some Jubilee Line bashing before heading back to the accommodation, with requirements highlighted in bold:

21437+438 Paddington (Bishops Bridge platform) – Baker Street
96097+098 Baker Street – Bond Street
96073+100 Bond Street – Bermondsey
96001+052 Bermondsey – Canada Water
96059+048 Canada Water – Canary Wharf
96036+013 Canary Wharf – St John’s Wood
96044+007 St John’s Wood – Swiss Cottage
96014+069 Swiss Cottage – Dollis Hill
96016+125 Dollis Hill – Neasden
96046+057 Neasden – Wembley Park
96021+018 Wembley Park – Willesden Green

15 April

96112+111 Willesden Green - Kingsbury
96126+099 Kingsbury - Queensbury
96008+043 Queensbury - Canons Park, and Stanmore - Green Park
96032+027 Canons Park - Stanmore
11063+064 Green Park - Highbury & Islington

After the meeting ended I felt like having a lucky dip on the Central Line. Making my way to Highbury & Islington it was onboard the 14:24 to Stratford formed of dud 378233. I decided to head in the Essex direction for a spin to Fairlop on dud quad (how unlucky for me) 91301+92182+92058+91215, then straight back to Liverpool Street on dud91297+required trio 92182+92158+91061. Switching to Met/H&C metals it was dud21017+018 that took me to Kings Cross arriving at around 15:45. It was over to Platform 6 for the 16:00 Edinburgh Waverley formed of dud pair 91106+82217, spotting 90019 on a Mk IV set on a Leeds departure in Platform 1, 67003 at the headshunt of Platform Zero, 5 x Class 66s at Peterborough yard (060, 475+771, 765, and 764), 56078 at Doncaster Decoy Yard, 66421 at York, and 67013 facing King Edward Bridge at Newcastle.When I arrived at Edinburgh Waverley, it was from Platform 11 to Platform 19 for the 20:30 Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High formed of dud pair 170473+431 for the run back to Glasgow. I made my way home on the bus rather than hanging around for 45-50 minutes for the 22:07 ex Partick – Cumbernauld due to the frequency on Sundays being every 60 minutes.

Overall, I have managed to reduce the soon to be Heathrow Express Class 387s from 8 to 5, plus some additional 387s reduced as well, completed the track coverage of the former Metropolitan/Bakerloo section of the present day Jubilee Line, and although not so much of a lucky dip with the Central Line, I have reduced those requirements by 3.

adrock1976

Established Member
London Calling: Lee Spur and Gospel Oak 07 and 08 May

While I was listening to the tranny during mid April for my previous trip, the title track from The Clash’s 1979 album came on. This got me thinking in that for my May bashing trip, I can use the return portion of the Saver Returns to head back (I had already bagged the VTEC promotion to head back from London for the previous trip, and the Saver Returns were only an extra 15 pence or so in comparison to the single fares). All that is required apart from Oyster or Zones 1-6 Travelcard is a reasonable Advance to London Kings Cross (engineering works between Glasgow Central and Preston with replacement buses operating Glasgow-Carlisle and Carlisle-Preston taking around 4 hours), and a single from Preston to Barnhill. The purpose of this trip is to cover the Lee Spur side of the triangle at Hither Green south of the mighty Thames, and according to the PSUL website, the Gospel Oak avoiding line with the grice from Kensal Green Junction to Willesden Junction Platform 2 which this PSUL move is due to disappear after 18 May 2018.

With me having started my journey to London on the Sunday 06 May, I had set off just after 16:20 for the short walk to Barnhill for the 16:28 Patrick formed of dud 320303 to Glasgow Queen Street. It was onboard the 17:00 Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High on dud pair 380006+112 with a rapid sprint up Cowlairs Incline which would leave the Class 170s for dust. Arrival at Haymarket was 5 minutes early therefore the train was held before proceeding to Waverley, and after nipping to the First Class lounge it was onboard the 18:30 London Kings Cross formed of required DVT 82209+ dud 91114. During the southbound run 67013 was spotted at the King Edward Bridge side of Newcastle Central, and at Darlington 156444 was on the Saltburn working with a Robel measurement train spotted at the London end of the station shed.

Being as I was arriving at Kings Cross at 23:15, this meant that I was limited in what I could do due to rail services including London Underground would be winding down for the night. I did still have time to do a linear hop from Kings Cross to Euston and onwards to Mornington Crescent on the Northern Line. My luck was in as it was required 51637+721 and required 51633+634 respectively that did the honours for me. I then had a short walk to Bayham Street to the Smart Camden hostel to check in. It is noted that the beds in the dormitories have curtains that draw across the beds similar to the Marilyn Monroe movie Some Like it Hot.

Monday 07 May – Bits and pieces including Lee Spur

I had a reasonable night's sleep bearing in mind that yesterday was boiling hot and more of the same is forecast for today. After having had some breakfast I decided that due to the heat, I would be taking things easy. My intention today during daytime is definitely to avoid the deep level tube lines (especially the Bakerloo). I had already decided that my first mission of the day would be to head to Paddington to see if any required Class 387s are on the Hayes & Harlington shuttles, and also to see if I can get 360205. I walked to Euston Square Underground via Hampstead Road and North Gower Street to hop on dud 21471+472 to Edgware Road, as I had spotted a required 21311+312 on a Wimbledon District Line to take me to the Praed Street station rather than remaining on to Bishops Bridge Road platforms.

Having made my way upstairs to the mainline station, I had noticed that the 10:57 Swansea had been cancelled, with the next Devon and Cornwall departure starting at Swindon, with passengers being advised to travel on the Bristol Temple Meads and changing at Swindon. Due to engineering works along the main lines with only the relief lines being in operation and with no trains between Hayes & Harlington and Maidenhead, Intercity services were being diverted via High Wycombe and Foxhall Junction west of Didcot Parkway. Also, being as Heathrow Express were operating their standard 15 minute frequency, this meant that there would be 3 diagrams on the Hayes & Harlington shuttle today rather than the standard 2 diagrams. It was onboard the 11:15 shuttle formed of required 387146+ dud 161 for a run to Ealing Broadway arriving 9 minutes later (these trains are held around the Westbourne Park area so as the Heathrow Express can weave across from the main line to the relief line and get ahead of the H&H shuttles). Observations were that 360205 was at Old Oak Common (does it actually leave the depot, or am I unlucky in that the last couple of times it has had the day off?), 66100+200+121+004 were all coupled together and 59201 was coupled to a rake of Mendip Rail wagons facing away from London at Acton Yard. I returned back to Paddington on the slightly delayed 11:36 ex H&H formed of required pair 387152+159, spotting 387164+168 although required would have to wait for another day (I still require 5 out of the 12 between 130 and 141 that will transfer to Heathrow Express duties in the future).

Being as the sun was already at its strongest point, I decided to not really be in a rush to get south of the mighty Thames, with engineering works on the subsurface lines of London Underground helping me as well. There was no Circle Line trains, no Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan Line trains east of Kings Cross, and District Line trains running as far as Tower Hill all due to track work between Kings Cross and Aldgate. I had a gentle stroll via Bishops Bridge Road to Bayswater and stopped off at the Whiteley’s shopping centre to coll down slightly and nip to the lavatory. Gradually making my way to Bayswater station, it was dud 21425+426 that took me to Earl’s Court, and stopped off for a 90 minute Swedish massage as my shoulders and lumbar region have been aching, most likely to me last having had a massage in the second half of 2016. This course of action also meant that by the time the massage is over, the sun would be half an hour or so away from the end of its strongest point.

Returning back to the rails and to do the Lee Spur, it was required 21453+454 that took me to Victoria. My intention was to take the 15:10 Tonbridge to Orpington, but being as I had spotted a required pair of Class 375s (high chance, as I have had very little of those to date) on the 15:01 Ramsgate via Tonbridge. As the rest of the afternoon’s moves are speeded up and for simplicity, I have listed them below similar to London Underground hops with requirements highlighted in bold.

375706+821 15:01 Victoria – Orpington via Catford Loop Line
465033+049 15:40 Orpington – Petts Wood
465005+038 15:45 Petts Wood – Orpington
465048+041 15:55 Orpington – Petts Wood
465163+178 16:01 Petts Wood – New Eltham via Lee Spur (spotting 66171 at Hither Green yard)
465188+155 16:33 (delayed 7 minutes) New Eltham – Petts Wood via Lee Spur
465050+925 17:01 (delayed 6 minutes) Petts Wood – Orpington
375614+815 17:33 Orpington – Victoria via Catford Loop Line
465017+167 18:10 Victoria – Herne Hill
465173+190 18:24 (6 minutes delayed) Herne Hill – Victoria

As the Class 465s were now starting to repeat, I decided to switch to the former London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway side of the station to see if any required green Class 455s were required. Having spotted a dud 455 on the next London Bridge departure, I had a spur of the moment decision in that while I am here, I might as well attempt to score the visits of the stations to Caterham and Tattenham Corner as with the exception of the end of the line, Whyteleafe, and Upper Warlingham on the Uckfield/East Grinstead route, I require all of them. As above, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold.

377458+149 18:53 Victoria – Riddlesdown
377214+470+156 19:36 Riddlesdown – Sanderstead
Short walk to Purley Oaks
455824 19:53 Purley Oaks – Whyteleafe South
455841 20:10 Whyteleafe South – Purley
455803 20:29 Purley – Kenley
455846 20:45 Kenley – South Croydon
455823 21:02 South Croydon – Purley
377325+309 21:16 Purley – Tadworth and 21:52 Tadworth – Reedham (Surrey)

Making my way to the main road, it was on the 60 bus to Coulsdon South station. Having recognised that I had already done this station back in 2014, I decided to hang around for the next 20 minutes as there are bus replacement services along the Tattenham Corner branchline. It was onboard the 22:50 London Bridge formed of dud 377146+ required 401 for the run all the way back to the Zone 1 area. I made my downstairs eventually to the Underground and boarded required pair 51557+530 to Euston, then on required pair 51577+578 to Mornington Crescent and to settle down for the night.

Overall, I have managed to get the Lee Spur in both directions, reduce some green Class 387 requirements, some London Underground requirements, and some south of the Thames requirements as well.

adrock1976

Established Member
Tuesday 08 May – Gospel Oak avoiding lines, West Mids bits, and homeward bound

After I had a reasonable night’s sleep, it was an early rise and having checked out at around 07:20 I had a short walk up Bayham Street and along Camden Road to reach the station (Camden Road) around 12 minutes or so later. I had hung around outside the station for a short while being as I was using the Oyster card and being wary of it timing out later on. I eventually tapped in just before 07:45 and went to the westbound platform for the slightly delayed 07:47 Richmond, formed of required 378221 to take me the short distance to Gospel Oak. Making my eventually to the Barking platform, my first port of call was to purchase some tea being as I was not properly awake yet before boarding the 08:05 Barking on dud 172002 to Harringay Green Lanes. It is noted that all of the London Overground Class 172s are dud as I cleared them last summer.

It was over to the westbound platform for the 08:21 ex Woodgrange Park – Willesden Junction to hop onboard dud 172007 for the run to Willesden Junction. This is the PSUL that avoids the bay platform at Gospel Oak, and also diverges at Kensal Green Junction to arrive at Platform 2 at Willesden Junction, and according to the PSUL website, this train will no longer run after Friday 18 May 2018. The train was held for a few minutes at Gospel Oak to await a late running ex Stratford to run ahead, and also to provide sufficient space behind to avoid catching it up. There were several passengers who alighted at West Hampstead, with a small handful boarding. Arrival at Willesden Junction was 6 minutes behind schedule at 08:57, with me nipping upstairs to tap the Oyster card and returning downstairs to hop on a southbound Bakerloo that was formed of dud pair 3267+3559 straight to Marylebone.

Having made my way upstairs to purchase some tea, it was over to Platform 1 for the 09:40 Birmingham Snow Hill formed of the perennial and evergreen dud 168110 (this seems to pop up everytime I use Chiltern basing this on the last few times) for a run to Bicester North. Twenty minutes later it was onboard the 10:47 ex Marylebone – Banbury on required 165019 to Banbury, arriving a few minutes behind schedule. I rapidly made my way from Platform 4 to Platform 2 for the 11:07 ex Marylebone – Birmingham Moor Street on dud pair 68008+82309 to Leamington Spa, then heading over to Platform 4 for the 11:32 Stratford upon Avon formed of required 165024 for a run to Hatton. With me invoking the official doubleback as the standard pattern timetable has trains every 2 hours to and from Birmingham (I remember Regional Railways Central and Central Trains running local services every 60 minutes from Birmingham Snow Hill/Stourbridge to Leamington Spa when Class 115/116 and 150s were common), I returned to Leamington on the 12:02 ex Birmingham on dud 165016.

While checking the screens, I had noticed that it had appeared that the Crosscountry Intercity service had fell apart, as there were delays and cancellations mainly on the Newcastle – Reading route (the Manchester – Bournemouth route seemed fine). It was over to the northbound platform for the 12:26 ex Marylebone – Birmingham Moor Street for the run to Moor Street on required loco 68013+ dud DVT 82303. It is noted that during this leg of the journey (and with many thanks to forum member 37078xotTE) that I would finally be able to get my final West Midlands Class 153 today as it is on the Birmingham – Rugeley TV workings this afternoon. This meant that I would be able to visit a recently reopened station before going for the required dogbox.

Arrival at Moor Street was 3 or 4 minutes behind schedule at 13:00, and it was a rapid sprint to New Street for the 13:10 ex Edinburgh Waverley – London Euston onboard required 221108+ dud 221101 for the run to Coventry. I made my way over to Platform 4 for the 13:36 Leamington Spa local which was formed of as expected dud 153356 for the run to the recently reopened Kenilworth. Furthermore, I may also have scored a grice here, as I do not recall ever departing from Platform 4 heading south, but have arrived at it on a local all stations service from Birmingham on a Class 310 many years ago (to meet the Sussex Scotand see if a required Class 47 was on it). The reopened Kenilworth station appears to have had space left for an additional track, so as maybe to have this as a passing loop at some point in the future. I returned back to Coventry on the same train that was due at 14:08, then so as not to jinx myself I returned to Birmingham New Street on the 14:22 ex London Euston Intercity formed of dud 390112.

Having nipped out of the station to the Tesco store at the junction of Temple Street to pick up some provisions, it was to Platform 5b for the 15:12 Rugeley Trent Valley formed of required pair 153364+170504 for a run to Cannock. 66061 that was running light engine southbound was spotted at Tame Bridge Parkway, while 66112, 144, and 061 were spotted at Bescot. Furthermore, there has been excellent progress with masts being put up for the soon to arrive wires of the line north of Walsall. After arriving at Cannock, I made my way to the southbound platform for the 15:57 ex Rugeley Trent Valley formed of dud 170511 for the run back to Birmingham NS while being caught up in the school runbetween Cannock and Bloxwich.

Making my way from Platform 7b to 5b it was onboard the 16:57 ex Bournemouth – Manchester formed of dud 221128 for a run to Stafford, then on the 17:36 ex Birmingham NS – Crewe via Searchlight Lane Junction (no London Midland [sic] trains beyond Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street due to the station rebuild there) on required 350111. 345034 and 028 complete with 9 coaches for London Crossrail, and also 68027 were spotted at Crewe South. The train terminated at Platform 8 at Crewe, where it was very easy to walk to Platform 11 for the 5 minutes delayed 18:09 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central formed of dud 390016 for a run to Wigan North Western, having spotted 221140 on the ICXC ex Manchester – Bournemouth, and 175010 on the 18:09 ex Manchester – Cardiff before departing Crewe. Furthermore, 66198 and 66148 were spotted at Arpley Yard on the approach to Warrington Bank Quay.

I had three options here to get to Preston in that I could either take the ex Liverpool LS – Preston, the ex Manchester Airport – Edinburgh, or the ex London Euston – Blackpool within a short space of time. The 18:51 ex Liverpool (which has a 5 minute or so layover at Wigan NW) was dud 319378 therefore declined that in favour of the 5 minutes delayed 18:43 ex Manchester Airport which was formed of required 350403+ dud 408 for the run to Preston (I require 402 and 410 to clear the TPE Class 350s). Having nipped to the lavatory and then to the shop on Platforms 3+4 to purchase a few copies of the Lancashire Post for the tokens that are required for the Northern Rail £10 promotion, it was onboard the 8 minutes delayed 19:15 ex Euston – Glasgow Central formed of dud (a backwards dud, as Standard Class was unusually at the London end of the train) 390127 for an uneventful run to Glasgow Central, arriving at Platform 9. I made my way to Queen Street for the 22:04 back home to Barnhill onboard dud 320411.

Overall, I have managed to do the PSUL move at Gospel Oak and Willesden Junction before it disappears, scored a couple more stations along the former GWR route that once ran to Birkenhead Woodside (I require both Sudbury stations, Wembley Stadium, Northolt Park, and West Ruislip (which I can easily do all with a Zone 1-6 Travelcard), plus Haddenham & Thame Parkway, Chirk, and the present day Midland Metro tram stops between The Hawthorns and Priestfield). Furthermore, I have visited the recently reopened Kenilworth station, and with a huge sigh of relief have finally at long last have managed to get my final West Midlands dogbox 153364 to clear the fleet of eight.

adrock1976

Established Member
Mini bash to Breich 04 June

Being as the Glasgow Central – Edinburgh Waverley via Shotts is presently being electrified between Holytown and Midcalder Junction and with the overhead wires having to meet certain clearance regulations, this has put the future of Breich station into some sort of limbo. As the Scottish Government is funding the works required to have the platforms meet the clearance regulations due to there being a road bridge that cannot be raised at the Glasgow end of the platforms as it is too close to the junction with the A71 Lanark Road. The two possibilities regarding the platforms are to either extend in the Edinburgh direction, or to resite the platforms. This is rather surprising as Breich station receives one train that calls there in each direction on Mondays to Saturdays with no Sunday service, and also not much else of facilities that are near to the station as well.Furthermore, as I only require 156453, 158701, 158710, and 158716 out of the Scotrail diesel fleet, I am not expecting to get any requirements for haulage today.

Having checked out bus moves a while ago and with the timings not working out so great for the afternoon train, I decided that I would walk along the A71 Lanark Road to or from Addiewell or Fauldhouse being as there are pavements along the route. I had set off just after 14:10 for the short walk to Barnhill for the 14:25 Dumbarton Central via Yoker formed of 318265 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street. As I had plenty of time to get to Central, I decided that I would do something for the first time in the 20 years I have resided in Scotland, which was to use the inter stations bus link. It is noted that the bus runs via Buchanan bus station on the way to Central, as it does a one way loop. Arrival at Central station was around 14:50.

Making my way to Platform 4, it was onboard the 15:04 Edinburgh Waverley via Shotts limited stop formed of 156474 for the linear hop to Shotts, having spotted 90045 at Polmadie. It is noted that Hartwood station is my sole remaining unvisited station in the Strathclyde PTE area, which I can save for when the Class 385s eventually enter service. I would like to mention here that if heading back in the Glasgow direction, give yourself a few more minutes as there is a very evil and long ramp from the Edinburgh platform up to the roadbridge. It was onboard the 15:56 ex Glasgow Central – Edinburgh formed of 158786 for the run to Wester Hailes, arriving 20 minutes or so behind schedule caused by signalling problems at Slateford.

As I had intended to get the 16:41 ex Edinburgh – Glasgow Central to Addiewell and walk to Breich, that plan was scuppered as that train had been cancelled. I decided to walk to Kingsknowe via Clovenstone Road and the Union Canal. Having spotted 37403 hauling 86401+92038 westbound to Polmadie for the sleeper trains, it was onboard the 8 minutes delayed 17:37 ex Edinburgh – Glasgow Central formed of 156462 for the run to Addiewell, having decided to do a linear hop and walk from Breich to Fauldhouse instead being as I was an hour behind due to the cancellation of the previous train. It was a fester of around 25 minutes in which I had spotted 68006 on one of the Fife loco hauled sets heading to Mossend before hopping onboard the 8 minutes delayed 18:33 Glasgow Central, formed of 156501 for the short run to Breich.

After carefully stepping down to the platform as it is low (just the right height for the Eurostar train to call at if ever there are direct trains from the European mainland to Glasgow via Edinburgh, and make Breich a parkway station as it is next to the A71 Lanark Road), I made my way to Fauldhouse via the A706 northbound and the Longridge Railway path to eventually bring me to Bridge Street and past the Miners Welfare club. I then continued along Main Street to the station (and the adjacent nick) having arrived at around 19:45 or thereabouts. It was onboard the 20:03 ex Glasgow Central – Edinburgh formed of 156430 straight to Waverley, arriving 8 minutes behind schedule. I made my way from Platform 12 to 14 for the 21:00 Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High, formed of 170418+458 to Queen Street, then downstairs for the 22:04 ex Dumbarton Central formed of 334008+005 to Barnhill.

Overall, I felt it was a worthwhile outing in that I have managed to get Breich done and dusted before it is decided exactly what is going to happen in terms of the station platforms. It is noted that on the Lothian side of the Shotts route, I only require West Calder and Slateford, and on the Lanarkshire side I require Hartwood, which is also my sole remaining station within the Strathclyde PTE area.

adrock1976

Established Member
Northern Rail £10 newspaper offer 22 June

As I had some tokens for this promotional offer, my strategy was to do the West Coast Railway Company loco hauled set that is presently running on the Oxenholme - Windermere shuttle, then to make my way to Preston and switch to Northern Rail services there and attempt to grab my four remaining Northern Class 153s plus 153373 that until recently plied its duties on Great Western Railway metals. As a wildcard I would see if it is possible to get 180104 – my final Class 180.

It was an early rise and out of the door just after 05:05 to take the bus to Buchanan bus station and for the rapid pace to Glasgow Central station. The 05:50 London Euston via Birmingham was dud 22105, meaning that I can decline that at Lancaster later on. The 06:01 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham was 221124. It was onboard the 05:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway formed of dud 390040 for the run to Lancaster, noting that there was no loco yet at Carstairs to haul the Edinburgh portion of the sleeper. 66710 ready to haul Castle Cement wagons, 68013, 37603, and 60021 were some of the locos that were spotted at Kingmoor, while 57309 was spotted in the goods loop west of Platform 1 at Carlisle, and 156420 was in Platform 2 with its destination screen displaying Lancaster.

Before nipping upstairs to trade in the tokens with the form plus £10, I hung around for a short while as the train had arrived 12 minutes behind schedule to see if the 07:46 ex Barrow- Preston was a Class 185. I believe this train no longer couples up with a portion from Blackpool at Preston to continue to Manchester Airport, rather it is the ex Barrow before the 07:46 that may be a 185. Anyway, it was dud 156481 so declined and went upstairs to redeem the tokens, and had a short walk outside afterwards. Back at the station, observations were that 156484 was on the 08:23 Barrow, a 142 was on the Morecambe shuttle, 350404 on the 08:19 ex Manchester Airport – Glasgow Central, and 350405 on the 08:29 ex Edinburgh – Manchester Airport. I hopped onboard the 08:29 ex London Euston – Edinburgh formed of dud 390156 for the run to Oxenholme, nipping to the lavatory first before getting myself a tea to wake myself up as I was still half asleep.

My original intention was to bail from the loco hauled set at Staveley and get the replacement bus to Burneside to pick up the southbound working. I had a change of heart and decided I would do it all the way to Windermere and back, with one of the reasons being that I could award double marks for Windermere station as although I had a trip there back in the summer of 1999, this was when I was unintentionally on a 20 year break from recording rail journeys. Plus I would be arriving and departing on unusual traction too.

After I spotted required 350402 on the 09:13 ex Glasgow Central – Manchester, it was onboard the 09:25 loco hauled set to Windermere, which was formed of (obviously required, facing Windermere) 57316, coaches 6103+6000+9493, and 33029 on the rear. Although it departed 5 minutes behind schedule, the train arrived on time at Windermere. I remained onboard for the return departing at 10:00 back to Oxenholme, with both Virgin and TPE trains seemingly running haywire. I hopped onboard the 25 minutes delayed 10:13 ex Edinburgh – Manchester Airport to Preston, which was formed of dud 350403. During the course of the journey and with many thanks to forum member 37078xotTE, I was able to work out how to get 3 of the 4 Northern dogboxes (153330 had already disappeared back to Neville Hill) plus 153373 that has recently arrived from GWR. As 180104 was on the London Kings Cross – Sunderland route, it would not be possible for me to get that today, with this 180 still eluding me for the time being, however 2 of the required dogboxes would be on the Leeds – Carlisle workings meaning I could get both.

Before heading east of the Pennines, I would be able to grab one of the dogboxes that is on the Rochdale – Blackburn via Manchester Victoria. It was onboard the 8 minutes delayed 11:24 Manchester Airport via Bolton formed of dud pair 156426+448 for the run to Salford Crescent, spotting dud 185147 on the 12:11 ex Manchester Airport – Barrow, before hopping onboardthe 12:18 ex Rochdale – Blackburn formed of dud 150222+ required 153373 for a run to Darwen having decided to score this station. An unintentional side effect was that I would not be able to make it to Leeds in time for the 15:18 Carlisle, but worked out that by walking between both Bradford stations, I could meet that train at Shipley. This would require everything running to time, as I had no get out of jail free cards to play.

Having crossed to the southbound platform at Darwen, it was onboard the 12:57 ex Clitheroe – Rochdale formed of dud pair 153324+150273 for the run all the way to Rochdale via Manchester Victoria, arriving into the Manchester facing Platform 4 and having spotted 66117 hauling wagons through Salford Crescent around 13:33. Around 7 or 8 minutes later, it was onboard the 14:12 ex Manchester Victoria – York formed of dud 158758 for the run to Bradford Interchange, having already positioned myself in the front coach for a speedy exit out of the station for the rapidly paced walk via Bridge Street and Market Street to the Midland Hotel and Forster Square station, having done the walk in 8 minutes or so arriving there at around 15:08.

As the 15:11 Skipton was dud, I had spotted 333008 which was required on Platform 1, and at the time believed that would be the 15:16 Ilkley. I stopped off at the convenience store to get something cold and wet before passing through the gateline. It had transpired that 333008 would not be taking me to Shipley (according to the RTT website, it would have been on the 16:08 Skipton), however it would be the front train which was dud 333006 that would be my chariot to Shipley, meaning that I still require 5 of the Class 333s to clear although I was not concentrating on those today.

Making my way from Platform 3 to Platform 2, it was onboard the 15:33 ex Leeds – Carlisle formed of much to my surprise a double dogbox that was formed of dud 153359+ required 153317 initially for a run to Keighley, but changed my mind and stayed on to Steeton & Silesdon for the remote possibility that I may land a required 333. I made my way over to the Leeds/London platform for the 15:57 ex Skipton – Leeds formed of as expected dud 333014 for the run to Keighley, spotting 20205+207 in the siding at the Worth Valley Railway next door on the Carlisle side of the track. Around 8 or 9 minutes later it was onboard the 16:10 ex Carlisle – Leeds formed of required 153328+ dud 158796 for the run all the way to Leeds, making my way from Platform 5 to 10 for the 16:51 Preston via Bradford Interchange formed of a very busy dud 158905 for the run to Halifax. It was a near 20 minute fester for the 5 minutes delayed 17:43 ex Manchester Victoria – York formed of dud 158753+ required 153360 for a run to Bradford Interchange, rapidly making my way over to the 18:03 ex Selby – Manchester Victoria formed of dud pair 153380+155345 for the run to Mytholmroyd. Having noted that the Preston was delayed by 6 minutes, I picked up some provisions from the Sainsbury’s store over the river bridge before heading to Preston on the aforementioned 6 minutes delayed 18:39 ex Leeds formed of required 158903.

Being as the 19:53 ex London Euston – Edinburgh was dud 221112, I declined that as I already knew what was on the 10 minutes delayed 20:04 ex Manchester Airport – Glasgow Central. Eventually, it was onboard required 350402 for the run all the way to Glasgow, spotting 92038 at Upperby Junction ready to haul the new Mark V Sleeper stock which had the destination screens showing “Edinburgh”, and 92010 hauling the 23:40 Glasgow Central – London Euston sleeper on the approach to Glasgow Central Platform 1. The train arrived at Glasgow Central 4 minutes behind schedule at 22:42, with me making my way very gently to Queen Street for the 23:05 Cumbernauld formed of obviously dud 318251 to take me to Barnhill and bring the day’s action to a close.

Overall, I have achieved what I had set out to do by having a spin on the loco hauled Oxenholme – Windermere set, and have got the required former GWR dogbox plus 3 out of 4 of the Northern dogboxes. It was a pity that 180104 was on the Sunderland route today, as although I had that as a wildcard option, I require that one to clear the class.

adrock1976

Established Member
Anglia and Great Western bits 12 July (Part I)

As I would be in London for my quarterly meeting this weekend, I had decided to try to have an attempt at reducing the Anglia electric fleet requirements, hunt for my final London Overground Class 317 (890), the Southern Daysave on the Friday (to see if I can get my 3 remaining green Class 313s), and attempting to reduce the Class 332s at Heathrow and to see if I can finally get 360205 which like 317890 has been eluding me for a while, as every time I have travelled out of Paddington I have always been guaranteed to have seen 360205 at the depot at Old Oak Common. Being as the former Heathrow Connect trains have now become part of Transport for London Rail in preparation for when London Crossrail starts running to Heathrow in the near future, this means that the standard Zones 1-6 Day Travelcards are now accepted through the tunnel beyond Hayes & Harlington. I can get the 332s between Heathrow Central and Terminal 5 the budget way, as it is free of charge between the terminals and I have already griced the track last October from the main line at Airport Junction to Heathrow Central on the Express from Paddington. I was requiring the track from the relief line on the ex Connect to Heathrow Central.

I had set off just after 22:40 the previous night for the walk to Barnhill for the 22:55 Balloch formed of dud 334035 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street. After a gentle saunter to Central it was over to Platform 10 for the 23:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway and Northampton overnight sleeper, which 92038 having brought in the stock from Polmadie. Also, I had spotted 37116+421 that was on the track inspection train in Platform 3. After checking in with the host, I dumped my backpack in the berth and had a snack in the lounge, rounded off with a pot of Earl Grey tea. Not long after the portion from Edinburgh had coupled up to the rear of the Glasgow portion at Carstairs, I had noted 86401 that had hauled the Edinburgh portion having passed by light engine. I then settled down for the night, and having arrived at Euston more or less on schedule at 07:07, the loco that hauled the set all the way south from Glasgow was required 92023.

Making my way over to Euston Square underground, it was on dud 21113+114 to Barbican, then dud 21503+504 to Liverpool Street, arriving at around 08:15. Having made my way upstairs to the main station, I had a look to see if I could spot 317890, but no luck so far. Being as I still require several of the Anglia electric fleet, I wandered over to the high numbered platforms and spotted a couple of required Class 321s. As I would be doing runs within the zonal system and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to linear hops on London Underground with requirements highlighted in bold. Furthermore, the three character codes for the stations are LST (London Liverpool Street), SRA (Stratford), SNF (Shenfield), HAC (Hackney Downs), TOM (Tottenham Hale), LEB (Lea Bridge), and CHN (Cheshunt).

321322+306 08:32 LST – SRA
321339+430 08:45 SRA – SNF
321332+350 09:04 SNF – SRA (66718 spotted hauling containers eastbound at Manor Park)
321315+334+311 09:38 SRA – LST

Switching to 317s on the west side, I had spotted 317887 at the buffer end of Platform 5 coupled to 890, but this was running as an empty coaching stock move to the depot at Chingford. It was at this point where I felt like tearing out what little bit of hair I have left from my head. Would I try again later this afternoon after checking in to my accommodation? I could not make up my mind as another of my intentions for today is to switch to Great Western Railway metals to try to nail 360205.

Anyway, back to the rest of the morning’s action:

317504+885 10:12 LST – HAC (opted for a tea break as I had spotted a pair of required Anglia 317s)
317339+886 10:42 HAC – TOM
317665+338 11:27 TOM – LEB (the next few departures in both directions were all dud)
317448 11:36 LEB – CHN
317886+339 11:59 CHN – TOM (I was expecting these heading south)
317340 12:27 TOM – LEB
317669 12:36 LEB – TOM
317512+514 12:44 TOM – LST (I pulled of this connection as it was a couple of minutes delayed)

Knowing that the 317s would now be starting to repeat, I switched to 321s again. Having spotted one that was required, my first port of call was to nip to Tesco along Bishopsgate and to resume the action. The moves are listed below:

321443 13:35 LST – SRA
360121+116 13:45 SRA – SNF
321405 14:02 SNF – SRA
360118 14:22 SRA – LST

Having being out slightly longer than expected due to Anglia requirements presenting themselves to me that I was not going to decline, I decided to make my way to Willesden Green to check in and dump my backpack as it is a warm day. I made my way downstairs to the Underground and hopped on required 21031+032 straight to Finchley Road, then on required pair 96050+009 to Willesden Green. It was a short walk to Palmers Lodge Hillspring hostel to check in and dump my backpack.

Part II – Hunt for 317890, 360205, Class 332s, and more Anglia bits 12 July

While walking back to Willesden Green underground, I heard The Small Faces “All or Nothing” blasting out from a car that had stopped at traffic lights. It was this moment that I decided that I would have another attempt to see if I could finally nail 317890 on an afternoon peak working so as not to leave that hanging for me to hunt on the first Saturday in December as that is when my next meeting in London will be. Depending on how things progress, I would switch to GWR metals just for the possibility if 360205 is out and not stabled at Old Oak Common as has been the case the last few times. I headed to Finchley Road on dud pair 96027+032, then straight to Liverpool Street on required 21069+070.

Having had a quick eyeball to see if a certain orange 317 was about and with no sign of it at present, I switched to some more 321 action. Once again, I have listed the moves below as I would be doing runs within the zonal system, with requirements highlighted in bold.

321335+326 16:47 LST – SRA (to Witham – seven minutes delayed arriving at SRA due to lineside fire near Bethnal Green)
321361+345 16:59 SRA – LST (delayed 16 minutes departing SRA Platform 5)
321340+303 17:20 (10 minutes delayed) LST – SRA (15 minutes behind schedule at SRA)
321324+329+422 17:52 SRA – LST (10 minutes behind schedule arriving LST)

I decided to leave the 321s as there were none required at this time so switched to the lower numbered platforms. When I got to Platform 3, I had spotted 317887 at the buffer end and another 317 coupled to it at the front, which would be on the 18:22 Cheshunt departure. Having walked along the platform to the front train, it was required 317890 so had a run to Edmonton Green with me finally cleared all of the London Overground 317s at long last. Being as I had cleared the 315s a while ago, I decided to have a quick wander to the shopping centre as I needed something cold and wet, and returned back to Liverpool Street on the same pair of 317s that were due 19:22 that runs limited stop. I had a quick eyeball to see if any more required 321s were about for one final run to Stratford and back before heading west, with dud 321328+ required 342 on the 20:02 Ipswich, returning back from Stratford on the 14 minutes delayed 20:01 on dud pair 321403+353. It was downstairs to the Underground to hop onboard dud 21359+360 straight to Paddington (Bishops Bridge Road platforms).

Making my way to the relief line platforms, it was onboard the 20:55 Reading local formed of required 387164 to Hayes & Harlington, with me spotting an orange Class 360 at Old Oak Common. This meant that 205 was out on the ex Connect services as that has a distinctive livery. Having briefly nipped to the Tesco store to pick up some provisions, it was soon onboard the 21:24 Heathrow Terminal 4 formed of perennial and evergreen megadud 360303 (it always seems to be guaranteed that I end up landing this one everytime I use a Connect service) for a run to Heathrow Central/Terminals 123. The first Express Terminal 5 was dud, as was the Class 360 on the Terminal 4 shuttle, so declined those and it was onboard the 21:58 T5 formed of required 332004 for the run to T5 and back to Central after temporarily leaving the train for the sweep. Remaining on the London platform, I hung around to see which 360 was on the 5 minutes delayed 22:27 Connect/TfL Rail which was formed of much to my relief required 360205 for the run back to Paddington. It is noted that I have griced the relief line – Heathrow section of track as I had already done the main line connection in October 2017. I have finally cleared all of the Connect/TfL Rail 360s. I headed over to Bishops Bridge Road platforms to board required 21345+346 to Baker Street, then on required 21323+324 to Finchley Road, then required pair 96054+053 to Willesden Green to settle down for the night.

Overall, I have finally managed to get both 317890 and 360205 which have eluded me for a while. I have also managed to reduce my Anglia electric requirements, and have griced a bit of new track on GWR metals from the relief lines to Heathrow.

Established Member
Another good read there adrock. Congrats on getting serial avoiders 317890 and 360205, be it for sight or haulage, it's always pleasing to get them last ones in the bag. Plenty inroads made on the East Anglian Dusty Bins too. A very profitable day indeed.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good day in London Adam :)

Congrats on getting that 317 into your book along with 360, plus plenty other winners

adrock1976

Established Member
Apologies that I have fell behind in typing up the Friday - Sunday reports, as I have been running around everywhere on various errands as my partner sprained her ankle getting off the bus a couple of weeks ago.

Southern Daysave 13 July

It was my intention when I planned the Southern Daysave to see if I could clear my three remaining green Class 313s for haulage (209, 217, and 220), and also to fit in the limited service stations of Pevensey Bay, Doleham, and Cooksbridge. I was also aware that I have yet to cover the track beyond Upper Warlingham to Uckfield and East Grinstead, Redhill to Tonbridge, and Hastings to Ashford International, plus Epsom to Horsham as well. Obviously, I could not fit all of this in on the same day, therefore I would simply concentrate on covering the track to Uckfield and also the track from Hastings as far as Doleham, with me also fitting in the visit of Pevensey Bay. Furthermore, it was my intention to be around Brighton at lunchtime so as I could see if I could spot the required 313s or through observing the Hove shuttle, West Worthing local, Lewes shuttles, and Seaford locals to determine if they would be on the Littlehampton – Portsmouth workings. Also, as I have yet to get off the mark with the red Class 387s, I would have a spin on those from Brighton – Gatwick Airport if time permits.

After a good night’s sleep, it was an early rise for me to be out of the door by 07:20 for the short walk to Willesden Green underground arriving on the platform at around 07:30. I hopped onboard required pair 96003+102 for the run straight to London Bridge, making my way via the brick arched walkway to the terminal platforms on the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway side of the station. It was up to Platform 10 with me being there just before 08:00 to hop onboard the 08:07 Uckfield formed of required 171723+ partial dud 401* + required 804 for some Turbostar drone action all the way to the end of the line at Uckfield. Having purchased some tea to wake me up a bit, I reboarded the same trio that was on the 09:33 London Bridge for the Sussex countryside version of a bus stop bash to Buxted. There was a short fester of around 10 minutes or so for the 09:46 ex London Bridge formed of required 171725+ partial dud 402* + required 801 for the hop to Uckfield, remaining onboard for the 1003 East Croydon departure for a run to the terminus of East Croydon, arriving surprisingly on time rolling into Platform 3.

* It is noted that I have had both 171401 and 402 in their original formation when they were previously numbered 170421 to 424 before they left Scotrail.

It was over to the adjacent Platform 4 on the same island for the 11:11 ex Victoria – Brighton limited stop formed of dud 377443+ required 465 for a run to Burgess Hill. As the 12:00 ex Bedford was dud 700108 (how unfortunate, as I still require a lot of those), I had opted for the 8 minutes delayed 12:16 ex Victoria formed of dud 377101+ required 407 for the run to Brighton, spotting required 313209 sitting in the depot at Lovers Walk in the siding with the buffer visible from Platforms 1 to 3. Within the next 20 minutes or so, I had ascertained that 2 out of the Class 313s that were on the West Worthing were dud, as was the Hove shuttle. Both the Lewes shuttles were also dud, as were 2 out of the 3 Seaford workings. I had began to have an inkling that the other 2 required 313s would be on the Littlehampton/Bognor Regis/Barnham/Portsmouth & Southsea circuit, therefore I would attempt that later if I have sufficient time to do so.

Having nipped out the station to pick up some provisions from the convenience store, I decided to take a non stop run to Gatwick Airport on the 13:18 London Victoria formed of required trio 387215+210+212. This means that I have now finally got off the mark with the red Class 387s. It is noted that the Express trains are timetabled at Gatwick to pass each other within a minute or two, hence how I had intended to take either the ex Bedford or a green ex Victoria back to Brighton. Making my way from Platform 4 to Platform 7, my luck was in as the 13:42 ex Victoria was slightly delayed, and was rewarded with another required trio with those being 387204+220+208 eventually departing Gatwick 6 minutes behind schedule.

My first port of call at Brighton was to check the third Class 313 diagrams on the West Worthing and Seaford services, which were both dud. I had news that 313220 was on the Portsmouth & Southsea/Littlehampton/Bognor Regis/Barnham circuit, so began to work out a plan to grab that one later on. Also, it had seemed that 313209 that I saw at Lovers Walk earlier was still in the exact same location, therefore I took the assumption that it would not be going anywhere today. Being as I was intending to gradually make my way towards Doleham, I stuck to that by starting with the 14:31 Hastingsformed of required 377466 for the run to Polegate as a linear hop, then on the 15:06 exVictoria – Ore formed of dud 377150 for the run to Eastbourne spotting 700133 in the siding at the station.

After having had a quick wander around town, it was back to the station to board the 15:49 Ashford International formed of required 171727 to Pevensey Bay, where unsurprisingly I was the sole passenger who alighted with nobody boarding. Immediately making my way over to the opposite platform via the level crossing (be warned that there is no footbridge between the platforms), it was around a 10 minute fester for the 16:17 ex Hastings– Brighton formed of recent dud 377466 for a Sussex countryside style bus stop bash to Pevensey & Westham, then over to the eastbound platform for the 16:29 ex Victoria – Ore formed of required 377412 for the run all the way to Ore for a linear hop then onwards to Doleham on the 17:09 ex Hastings– Ashford International formed of required 171721, having scored new track eastwards of Hastings as far as Doleham.

Having alighted from the front coach of the train at Doleham as the platform is simply a raised hump, I made my way to Three Oaks station via a left turn from the station exit onto Doleham Hill, then a right turn onto Fourteen Acre Lane passing Sussex Handmade Brick Ltd, then a right turn at the end onto Butcher’s Lane to reach the Three Oaks Inn and the station. For anybody attempting to bag both these stations, I would not recommend doing this in December as the walk involves narrow country lanes that have nostreet name signs and are also unlit as there is as you would expect an absence of lamposts. I had arrived at Three Oaks around 10 minutes before the train was due – again Three Oaks has a short platform but can accommodate the full length of a 2 coach Class 171, also there was evidence of this section of the route being double tracked at one time as can be seen by means of the eastbound disused platform that has overgrown with vegetation.

It was onboard the 17:57 ex Ashford International – Eastbourne formed of a very busy and expected recent dud 171727 for the run to Collington for a linear hop, then 10 minutes later on the 18:32 ex Ore – Victoriaformed of required 377131 for a bus stop bash to Cooden Beach having positioned myself in the rear coach to see if I could pull off a 2 minute connection here. Making my way over to the eastbound platform, it was onboard the 18:37 ex Victoria– Ore formed of dud 377431 for the run to Bexhill. I gently made my way over to the westbound platform to board the 18:52 ex Ore – Brighton formed of required 377450, having decided to bail at Glynde when I checked online that the 18:15 ex Victoria was running 15 minutes behind schedule, meaning that I could fit in the visit of both Glynde and Berwick (Sussex) so as to have completed all stations between Brighton and Pevensey Bay via Eastbourne.

I made my way over to the eastbound platform where around 10 minutes later I hopped onboard the 12 minutes delayed ex Victoria – Eastbourne formed of dud 377128, required 111, and dud 426 for the (Sussex countryside definition) short run to the next stop at Berwick. Having immediately made my way over the level crossing to the westbound platform (there is no footbridge between the platforms), it was a 5 minute fester before boarding the 19:52 ex Hastings– Brighton formed of much to my chagrin dud 377466 for the third time this afternoon for the run straight to Brighton.

Having made my way over to Platform2 it was onboard the 20:32 Southampton Central formed of required 377402 for the run to Chichester, calling at all stations. It was over to the opposite platform to nip to the lavatory before boarding the 21:34 ex Portsmouth & Southsea – Littlehampton formed of as expected required 313220 for the run to Barnham. It was around a 7 minute fester for the 21:48 exPortsmouth Harbour– Horsham (according to the platform screens) which was formed of required 377448 and would indeed be continuing to London Victoria when the guard made an announcement. I decided to bail at Horsham so as to see what was on the ex Bognor Regis portion which would be coupled up to, and was rewarded with required 377142 and travelled in that for the run to Victoria calling additionally at Littlehaven and Ifield. Eventual arrival at Victoria was at 23:25 which was 15 minutes behind schedule after a delay at Three Bridges. I headed straight back to Willesden Green via the Victoria Line to Green Park on dud 11046+045, and the Jubilee Line on dud pair 96124+123.

Overall, I am happy in that I have covered 2 bits of new track from Upper Warlingham to Uckfield, and Hastings to Doleham. I have managed to score both the limited service stations east of Eastbourne (Pevensey Bay and Doleham), plus a bonus 2 stations in Glynde and Berwick by means of the ex London Victoria – Eastbourne being delayed by around 15 minutes. Even though I was only able to manage 1 out of three required green Class 313s, I have finally managed to get off the mark with the red Class 387s and have also put another small dent into my required Class 377s. On a final note for today, I have completed the missing number in the equation of Four Oaks + ? = Sevenoaks.

Stay tuned for Saturday and Sunday.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I swear it was local door only at Three Oaks when I did that station, my memory must be playing up.

A productive day in Southern land anyhow :)

adrock1976

Established Member
GWR Class 387s and Heathrow Express 332s 14 July

Being as today is my quarterly meeting in London, as it was a hot and sticky morning, my session on the rails was simple and straightforward. I had set off at around 08:15 having had breakfast for the short walk to Brondesbury Park station to take the 08:49 Stratford formed of dud 378257 for the run to Highbury & Islington. Of note, 66112 was spotted being held in the loop near Camden Road hauling containers eastbound. Having alighted at Highbury & Islington, I had a very gentle stroll along Holloway Road to the meeting venue, stopping off at a couple of shops near the Nags Head junction for a general browse around.

After the meeting ended, I walked to Highbury & Islington for a southbound Victoria Line, and to see if I could get at least one of my 11 requirements. Having checked the platform screen, there were 3 trains that were 2-3 minutes apart from each other, with a 5 minute gap for the fourth. Owing to it being hot and stuffy, I would only attempt those first three. The first 2 were dud, but the third I was rewarded with required 11085+086 that I took for the run to Warren Street. Walking to Euston Square, I soon hopped on required 21477+478 and bailed at Edgware Road rather than Paddington (Bishops Bridge) when I had spotted a required S stock on the Wimbledon working. It was over the bridge to hop on required 21361+362 for the short bus stop bash to Paddington (Praed Street).

As my main aim of the evening is to reduce my required green Class 387s and to gradually work my way towards Heathrow Central for a go at reducing the Class 332s, for easier readability I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold. I have used the three letter codes for the following stations: PAD (Paddington), HAY (Hayes & Harlington), EAL (Ealing Broadway), and WDT (West Drayton).

387173+144 19:27 PAD – HAY
387143+165 19:55 HAY – EAL (spotted 60095 in the loop at Southall)
387138+147 20:20 EAL – HAY
387137+142 20:59 HAY – WDT
387170+162 21:05 WDT – HAY
387167+163 21:12 HAY – WDT
387134+168 21:20 WDT – HAY (66021 spotted hauling HOPS train in London direction)
387133+136 21:40 HAY – Southall (I spotted some 387s repeating now)
360205 21:50 Southall – Heathrow Central
332010 22:27 Heathrow Central – Heathrow T5 and 22:41 T5 – Heathrow Central
332011 22:57 Heathrow Central – Heathrow T5 and 23:11 T5 – Heathrow Central
360203 (evergreen and perennial dud) 23:27 Heathrow Central – PAD

I would like to mention that there was a third requirement I had spotted on the Express (007), but was not possible for me to get that tonight. The other 2 trains 002 and 013) were duds.

Upon arrival at Paddington, I immediately made my way to the Bishops Bridge Road platforms of the Underground and hopped onboard required 21401+402 for the eastbound hop to Baker Street, then switched to the Jubilee Line straight to Willesden Green onboard dud 96018+ required 083.

Overall, I am happy with the results in that I have reduced my green Class 387 requirements down to 11 remaining, with 3 of those being dedicated in the future for the Heathrow Express (139, 140, and 141). I have also reduced my 332 requirements slightly.

Established Member
An excellent couple of moves, there.
Once again, I'm reminded that I need to get off my backside and do another Southern Daysave :)

adrock1976

Established Member
Red Class 455 and 456 hunting, and homeward bound 15 July

As the meeting of the sub groups that I am part of would not be happening today, I decided to switch attention to reducing my red Class 455 and 456 requirements while also keeping a lookout for any required 458s. My intended route home would have been via Liverpool South Parkway, Merseyrail to Ormskirk changing at either Liverpool Central or Sandhills, and onwards to Preston for the 20:41 Glasgow Central. Hold on a minute, you are not seeing things here, as due to the Liverpool Lime Street platform rebuilding works, there is (or was) a Sunday service between Ormskirk and Preston. The emphasis is on the “or was” because at the time of booking the tickets online, the journey planner was showing that there would be trains running between Preston and Ormskirk, but these were given the chop around 8 to 10 days before my intended trip due to the well publicised problems that Arriva Northern Railway are having with the post May 2018 timetable.

I had already had an alternative plan as I had suspected the Preston – Ormskirk trains would be given the chop basing this on the previous couple of Sundays. I had identified possibility to grice rarely used crossovers on a PSUL move at Wigan Wallgate to the London & North Western Railway route due to engineering works on both the Lancashire & Yorkshire route (Bolton and Atherton lines) between Wigan Wallgate and Salford/Manchester, and Bolton – Blackburn. This would be the Southport – Clitheroe direct trains albeit running via a convoluted route, as due to engineering works it is bits of separate unaffected sections of the normal service pattern joined together if that makes sense. The route that these trains would take would be Southport – Wigan Wallgate – Golborne Junction – Liverpool & Manchester Railway – Manchster Victoria – Todmorden – Blackburn – Clitheroe.

After having had breakfast and checked out, it was to Willesden Green to board dud 96040+ required 040 straight to Waterloo. Having made my way upstairs to the main station, I was keeping a lookout for any required 455/456/458s and after around 20 minutes later, my first requirement had appeared on a Hampton Court local. As I would not be straying too far as I need to get back north of the mighty Thames to Euston as I was booked on the 14:05 Liverpool South Parkway, and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold. The station three letter codes I have used are WAT (Waterloo), VXH (Vauxhall), and WIM (Wimbledon).

456019+455730+455728 09:57 WAT – VXH
455917+850 10:06 VXH – WIM
455907+851 10:27 WIM – WAT
455712+909+456017 10:57 WAT – VXH
455906+713+456016 11:07 VXH – WAT
455918+920 11:40 WAT – VXH
455708+456001 12:11 VXH – WAT

Being as the 455s and 456s were starting to repeat and also having seen several dud 458s during the course of the morning, I switched to the Northern Line to head to Oval, as I cannot remember if I have ever done the track to and from Kennington (Charing Cross branch) heading to and from the Morden direction. Some trains are continuing through from the Charing Cross branch due to the Bank branch trains not calling there until mid September. First of all it was a trip to the Tesco store to pick up some provisions before boarding dud 51686+685 to Kennington, then dud 51647+648 to Oval. Changing to the northbound platform, it was around 8 minutes or so for a Charing Cross branch train to appear, which was required 51611+610 that took me straight to Euston.

It was onboard the 14:07 Liverpool South Parkway formed of dud 390050 calling at Stafford, Crewe, and Runcorn, spotting 68025+03x at each end of Virgin Trains liveried coaches near Crewe South Junction. Having eventually made the hike to the low level platforms, it was onboard the 16:37 formed of dud pair 508108+114 for the run all the way to Southport, calling all stations. Arrival at Southport was 3 minutes ahead of schedule at 17:37. As previously mentioned, due to the Ormskirk – Preston trains being cancelled, and also there being no Sunday service between Kirkby and Wigan Wallgate, the only possible option was to go via Southport (see the thread that I started in the Allocations, Diagrams, and Timetables section of the forum). It was then onboard the 17:45 Clitheroe via Manchester Victoria and Todmorden formed of dud pair 150271+223 for a run to Moston, pausing at Wigan Wallgate for a 16 minute layover. As I had mentioned earlier, I griced the rarely used crossover from Wallgate onto the L&NWR for the non-stop run to Manchester Victoria via Golborne Junction, then onwards to Moston.

I made my way to the Manchester platform via the road bridge, which seemed like a hike due to the steep footpath from the Leeds platform. I then boarded the slightly delayed 19:15 ex Clitheroe formed of dud pair 142019+150130 for the run to Wigan Wallgate, once again gricing the crossover from the L&NWR to Wallgate station. I had a gentle stroll across the road to North Western station for the 5 minutes delayed 20:27 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central formed of dud 390115 to take me to Glasgow Central via Mount Florida due to engineering works at Rutherglen. It was on the bus back home soon after.

Overall, I have managed to put another dent into reducing my required red Class 455s and 456s, and despite the Ormskirk – Preston trains being cancelled, I identified a chance to grice the not normally used crossovers between Wigan Wallgate and the London & North Western Railway route south of there. I can easily get the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway to Wigan North Western crossovers another time, as there seems to be a regular (if the trains actually run) service from the Manchester direction nowadays.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Some good work on getting some more 455s & 456s into your book :) Plus the connection from Wigan Wallgate towards the WCML

noddy1878

Established Member
Having nipped out the station to pick up some provisions from the convenience store, I decided to take a non stop run to Gatwick Airport on the 13:18 London Victoria formed of required trio 387215+210+212. This means that I have now finally got off the mark with the red Class 387s. It is noted that the Express trains are timetabled at Gatwick to pass each other within a minute or two, hence how I had intended to take either the ex Bedford or a green ex Victoria back to Brighton. Making my way from Platform 4 to Platform 7, my luck was in as the 13:42 ex Victoria was slightly delayed, and was rewarded with another required trio with those being 387204+220+208 eventually departing Gatwick 6 minutes behind schedule.

So you can use a Southern Daysave on the Gatex between Brighton and Gatwick? That's useful to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.