• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlane1980

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone here would be willing to take me under their wing, offer me some advice and point me in the right direction, please?

I am currently in the Royal Navy and have been for the last 17 years. I'm due to leave as 'time done' in 5 years, after 22 years of service. I am an Air Traffic Controller, which unfortunately doesn't qualify me to do anything when I leave. Plus, I don't really want to stay in Air Traffic.

So, my question is - With around 4-5 years in front of me, what kind of things could I do to train myself in train driving, to make me a more 'viable' candidate for future employment as a driver?

The Navy provides me with some pretty substantial pots of money to retrain before I leave, not to mention the time off to do so.

I eagerly await your answer/answers.

Thanks for reading.

Jon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2005

Hi mate!

I'd say the best thing to do is to just get your research on the recruitment process, The train companies, The role, And get your application techniques spot on! the fact you are coming from the forces in a safety critical role is a good thing.

as far as i am aware there are no tried and tested ways outside of toc's themselves where you can get yourself trained! there may be the odd company that still does the assessments for the job but not the course itself. However the industry is a rapidly changing one so you never know what could happen in 4-5 years

i know you said that the navy has a substantial pot of money set aside for retraining etc but are you aware that it costs train operating companies over 80k to train a driver? i'm no expert on the forces so correct me if i am wrong but i would be very surprised if the pot was big enough to stretch that far! if i were you within those next 4-5 years i'd just keep an eye on the industry and changes that take place so when the time comes you are up to date!

good luck with it all matey you are in the right place for hints and tips to get the job!

Last edited:

plastictaffy

If it's driving you've really set your heart on, you do need to be aware that every time the railway companies put a job on their websites, they will get quite literally thousands of applicants. It would certainly make more sense to get any job on the railways, and perhaps work up to the grade.

Even a job on the station or cleaning or something like that should open more doors for you. With your experience as an ATC, perhaps a job as perhaps a train planner, signaller or similar would be okay for a while to open doors.

Last edited:

Diplodicus

A mate of mine started on the platform at Bristol TM. He was in his forties and within 5 years passed out as a driver for First Great Western.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone here would be willing to take me under their wing, offer me some advice and point me in the right direction, please?

I am currently in the Royal Navy and have been for the last 17 years. I'm due to leave as 'time done' in 5 years, after 22 years of service. I am an Air Traffic Controller, which unfortunately doesn't qualify me to do anything when I leave. Plus, I don't really want to stay in Air Traffic.

So, my question is - With around 4-5 years in front of me, what kind of things could I do to train myself in train driving, to make me a more 'viable' candidate for future employment as a driver?

The Navy provides me with some pretty substantial pots of money to retrain before I leave, not to mention the time off to do so.

I eagerly await your answer/answers.

Thanks for reading.

Jon

There's loads of ex - forces going straight into driving. Certainly those from the more thoughtful disciplines, such as yours. Research the selection process, an be clear as to where geographically the jobs arise.

You shouldn't need to be starting on the platform, etc.

With your previous career experience, have you considered being a signaller?
It's another well paid job, with direct entry being the normal way in.

387star

On Moderation
Word of advice a lot hinges on final interview everything else is a walk in the park in compariso
If I were you I'd become a guard best way in IMO

Johncleesefan

I would absolutely concentrate on the driving job if that's what you want. Why put your focus into other jobs you don't want. If your in the same position in a years time maybe then its time to consider other things but ti start with get your driving application spot on and give it your all. Good luck

jlane1980

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. As always when you ask such an open question, you get a mix of polar opposite opinions! I still have my heart set on driving, but will look in to signalling also. To be honest, I still want to drive! So I'll probably stick with that, but who knows?? My next question would be - Where do I go next? I am in the lucky position of having a lot of time to plan, study and retrain in order to make myself a viable candidate. Where do I start? I've looked at a couple of sites, but they all seem to be trying to sell me DVD's, website subscriptions and software! Which I always think are trying to scam me! Your advice, as before, is always appreciated!

Thanks again,

Jon

red2005

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. As always when you ask such an open question, you get a mix of polar opposite opinions! I still have my heart set on driving, but will look in to signalling also. To be honest, I still want to drive! So I'll probably stick with that, but who knows?? My next question would be - Where do I go next? I am in the lucky position of having a lot of time to plan, study and retrain in order to make myself a viable candidate. Where do I start? I've looked at a couple of sites, but they all seem to be trying to sell me DVD's, website subscriptions and software! Which I always think are trying to scam me! Your advice, as before, is always appreciated!

Thanks again,

Jon

seems a silly question and i apologise in advance but..........how do you mean retrain?

jlane1980

Hi,

I don't mean retrain, exactly. But, I'm guessing that when it comes to the application and selection process, there are going to be some skills that will give me more of an 'edge' over other candidates.
For example, if I was going through a selection process to become an air conditioning engineer, it would be beneficial for me to have done a refrigerator repair course first. (I feel I should explain, I know someone who has just left the RN to be an air con engineer, in Dubai)!

So, whilst I don't mean retrain, in the strictest of senses. What I actually mean to say is - what skills/qualifications would be beneficial to me to gain before I try the application process?

red2005

ahhhhh right!!......well to be honest your current job will stand you in good stead as it is VERY safety critical and i assume that you have to deal with emergencies, concentrate and pay attention to detail for long periods of time??.......if so that's half the battle straight away! i wouldn't of thought you need to worry about gaining any other skills to give you an advantage!

one of the areas i found the most difficult was getting through the paper sift itself!......on the recruitment before mine apparently there were fully qualified pilots that didn't get through so that gives you an idea of the calibre of people that apply and that are sometimes unsuccessful!

given the experience and qualities that applicants like that have it can only mean that their applications had things within it that were not up to scratch!.....unfortunately this is where the railway can be VERY picky as thousands apply!.....so it could be anything from a simple spelling mistake to something like the distance they live from a depot........so what i am trying to say is make sure that your application is top notch and that you have done your research on the industry,company you are applying for and the role of a driver itself.

to be honest this role is probably more about experience and common sense than qualifications mate so there's not a lot out there training wise that would probably aid you! (although they do like customer service these days) from what I've seen and gathered from my time in the industry is they'd rather a decent person with their head screwed on and no qualifications than a complete tool with a degree! (operational role wise anyway)

i say if you wanna go straight for driving do it!.....if for example you were applying for the job having come from working in a butchers or something like that I'd say maybe try and get your foot in the door as a guard or some other safety crit role as an aid but to me an air traffic controller is more than fitting to go straight to driver........but i will say the guards job in particular is fantastic so if you get a sniff do it mate.

mtbox

ahhhhh right!!......well to be honest your current job will stand you in good stead as it is VERY safety critical and i assume that you have to deal with emergencies, concentrate and pay attention to detail for long periods of time??.......if so that's half the battle straight away! i wouldn't of thought you need to worry about gaining any other skills to give you an advantage!

one of the areas i found the most difficult was getting through the paper sift itself!......on the recruitment before mine apparently there were fully qualified pilots that didn't get through so that gives you an idea of the calibre of people that apply and that are sometimes unsuccessful!

given the experience and qualities that applicants like that have it can only mean that their applications had things within it that were not up to scratch!.....unfortunately this is where the railway can be VERY picky as thousands apply!.....so it could be anything from a simple spelling mistake to something like the distance they live from a depot........so what i am trying to say is make sure that your application is top notch and that you have done your research on the industry,company you are applying for and the role of a driver itself.

to be honest this role is probably more about experience and common sense than qualifications mate so there's not a lot out there training wise that would probably aid you! (although they do like customer service these days) from what I've seen and gathered from my time in the industry is they'd rather a decent person with their head screwed on and no qualifications than a complete tool with a degree! (operational role wise anyway)

i say if you wanna go straight for driving do it!.....if for example you were applying for the job having come from working in a butchers or something like that I'd say maybe try and get your foot in the door as a guard or some other safety crit role as an aid but to me an air traffic controller is more than fitting to go straight to driver........but i will say the guards job in particular is fantastic so if you get a sniff do it mate.

If you want to go driving, only pursue that particular path. Trainee driver vacancies come up pretty regular and to try for a job you don't really want is wasting everybody's time including yours and may actually mean you miss opportunities to go driving.
At my depot, we have brickies, police, ex forces, paramedics, butchers, postmen, bus/tram drivers, milkmen, slaughtermen, engineers, car mechanics, shop workers, etc, etc.

It does not matter what you work as or how well educated you are, what does matter is your attitude/ability to get through the various stages.
With your background, if you put the effort into the initial application, I would be extremely surprised if you did not progress to the next stage. Good luck.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi,

I don't mean retrain, exactly. But, I'm guessing that when it comes to the application and selection process, there are going to be some skills that will give me more of an 'edge' over other candidates.
For example, if I was going through a selection process to become an air conditioning engineer, it would be beneficial for me to have done a refrigerator repair course first. (I feel I should explain, I know someone who has just left the RN to be an air con engineer, in Dubai)!

So, whilst I don't mean retrain, in the strictest of senses. What I actually mean to say is - what skills/qualifications would be beneficial to me to gain before I try the application process?

You can't really do anything regarding skills/qualifications, what would be far more beneficial is life/work/real world experience and with your background you will of had plenty I assume!

The train driver training course is designed to teach people from all walks of life and backgrounds to drive trains. No experience whatsoever is needed of the operational railway and I believe they actually prefer this as they have a clean slate to work with.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Basically i'm just going to echo previous posts!

If you want a driving job go straight for a driving job. There is nothing wrong with going through other rail positions but also no need to nowadays so I would just go direct.

I fully agree also that the biggest stumbling block is the sift for the initial application (assuming you have the aptitude for the job!). I had several knock backs on applications then had three all accepted at once. Whatever I had been missing I apparently wasn't anymore. Following the process through (and it is quite a process!) I then got offered a job with two of the three TOCs (the other pulled the recruitment drive so my application went no further anyway).

And the other very important point, as already mentioned, is the geography of the trainee positions. Depends on where you will live/want to live after the RAF but bear in mind that the vast majoiry of trainee jobs come from the London commuter TOCs. While you don't have to live in London to get them, bear in mind they will have literally hundreds of viable alternatives to your good self (sorry to be blunt!) so if you live miles away and just say you will relocate they may still think you will be off to another TOC after 2 years and pass your application on by.

Of course this could be the truth but no need to let them know that in advance! There are plenty of other trainee jobs elsewhere in the country but it tends to be more of a trickle outside the major urban areas.

theironroad

Established Member
With 4-5 years to go in the RN, it's not unfeasible to apply now for some positions. I've heard of people applying, forgetting about the application and being called for tests and interviews years later, such is the length of some waiting lists. Obviously a bit risky as they could call next month.

As a previous poster mentions, most positions come up in major urban areas, especially London in the next few years.

Not sure where a RN ATC is based, but Pompey and Plymouth both have train crew depots, but will be harder to get into usually than a metro London one.

Customer service is one area that might help your application. Maybe getting a nvq in customer service or something funded by the RN in their time.

Driver training in the uk is carried out by the employing companies on the whole, a couple of companies don't train and only take qualified drivers from other companies. Whether full implementation of the European train driving licence regs will change this remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.