• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AHBs not interlocked with signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Is there a website that explains the rules used to decide what type of level crossing can be used depending on the characteristics of the location and its traffic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Milford is another location that must have a signal inhibited AHB. I've driven a car across the level crossing while a 450 was coming into the platform.

Westerfield (up) Eccles Road/Hargham (dn) Attleborough (dn) Wymondham (dn) Waterbeach (dn) Worstead (up) to name a few also work on this principal for stopping trains only.

GB

Established Member
Haughley Junction AHB on the GEML can have a deferred closing operation for some services due to the track and signalling layout. Only when theres multiple trains though.

Last edited:

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Westerfield (up) Eccles Road/Hargham (dn) Attleborough (dn) Wymondham (dn) Waterbeach (dn) Worstead (up) to name a few also work on this principal for stopping trains only.

Haughley Junction AHB on the GEML can have a deferred closing operation for some services due to the track and signalling layout. Only when theres multiple trains though.

Those are probably stopping / non-stopping controls, which just change the point at which the train strikes-in on the AHB system.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is there a website that explains the rules used to decide what type of level crossing can be used depending on the characteristics of the location and its traffic?

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/2158/level_crossings_guidance.pdf

Railsigns

Established Member
Bromfield LX was an ABCL and is overlooked by Bromfield Signal Box.

That is not an ABCL. Look at the length of that barrier! It's an MCB crossing.

As for being overlooked by the signal box, there's a big clue in the "A" of "ABCL". This stands for "automatic", which means there's no signaller involvement in the crossing's operation.

ComUtoR

Established Member
That is not an ABCL. Look at the length of that barrier! It's an MCB crossing.

I'm slightly confused. What has the length of the barrier got to do with it ?

Automatic crossings
Automatic half-barrier crossing AHBC
Automatic barrier crossing locally monitored ABCL
Automatic open crossing locally monitored AOCL
Crossing with red and green warning lights R/G
(also included as a user-worked crossing)

I don't see a any reason why ABCL can't be full barrier. I was always taught that AH is automatic half barrier and AB is full barrier.

Is there a way to find the official type of crossing at a given location ? Sectional Appendix ?

Awesome !

Railsigns

Established Member
I'm slightly confused. What has the length of the barrier got to do with it ?

It's clearly a full-length barrier that closes off the whole roadway. An ABCL only has half-barriers.

I was always taught that AH is automatic half barrier and AB is full barrier.

You've been taught wrongly.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Does that apply to ALL automatic barriers ?

Yes*, because an automatic crossing* has no way to tell if there is a road vehicle or pedestrian on the crossing, so an escape route has to be left open - so only half a barrier is fitted.

*except OD, which can tell, so it can have full barriers. Strictly speaking, and OD crossing isn't fully automatic , because the signaller is still involved.
I was always taught that AH is automatic half barrier and AB is full barrier.

AHB only has an H in it to avoid confusion with AB (absolute block)?

ComUtoR

Established Member
AHB only has an H in it to avoid confusion with AB (absolute block)?

Not a clue to be honest. I can't see why the ABCL can't be called AHBCL. Seems weird to drop the H but that's the railways for ya <D

Railsigns

Established Member
I can't see why the ABCL can't be called AHBCL. Seems weird to drop the H but that's the railways for ya <D

The automatic crossing designations AOCL, AOCR and ABCL all conform to a consistent pattern. The odd one out is AHBC, which should logically be designated ABCR, although I can't see it ever changing now.

Railsigns

Established Member
Well you were wrong. It is categorically, unequivocally an MCB1.

It would only be called that in Scotland, though. The numerical categorisation of MCB types was confined to the Scottish Region.
Well that was what we residents called it!!

You do know that the Sectional Appendix will tell you what type of crossing it is, right? If it is an ABCL, it'll say so. If it's not, it won't.

Class 170101

Established Member
Don't forget we also now have AOCL+B too.

AHBs have never been linked to signals & fail in the lowered position. Once this occurs the signaller will eventually stop & caution trains. Line speed applies (up to 100mph) except for wrong direction movements.

Surely AHBs fail in the raised position too? Lights working but barriers up (and possibly barriers up and lights failed)?

Railsigns

Established Member
Surely AHBs fail in the raised position too? Lights working but barriers up (and possibly barriers up and lights failed)?

The barriers at AHBCs are specially designed to drop in the event of failure (whereas ABCL barriers will rise).

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Okay, random question after coming across this video on Youtube:
[youtube]UL6C5FmeDU4[/youtube]

As I understand it, an accident like this shouldn't happen in the UK as all crossings are either linked to signalling so presumably the signaller would know about the runaway or have a treadle on the line to cause the barriers to close (note it was a single track line). But what would happen if it was a wrong-way runaway on a dual track line? Would the lights/barriers activate?

Marklund

[youtube]UL6C5FmeDU4[/youtube]

As I understand it, an accident like this shouldn't happen in the UK as all crossings are either linked to signalling so presumably the signaller would know about the runaway or have a treadle on the line to cause the barriers to close (note it was a single track line). But what would happen if it was a wrong-way runaway on a dual track line? Would the lights/barriers activate?

Depends on the crossing.
Some older AHBs don't have bidirectional controls, and some do.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Unlikely to happen anyway due to our braking system.

The air brake used in the UK differs only in detail from that in the US, so an unbraked runaway can happen in either case if, for example, the air brake pipes aren't connected and the hand brakes are not applied.

MarkyT

Established Member

It shouldn't happen in the US either. The film showed a single track so, by definition, it must have had bidirectional controls. So I'm mystified why the lights and barriers didn't activate on approach. It's possible there was something wrong with the crossing or perhaps it was purposely disabled on a section of track out of use or mothballed, of which there's a great deal in the USA.

Depends on the crossing.
Some older AHBs don't have bidirectional controls, and some do.

Yes, on double tracks older AHBs do not have bi-di, but more modern ones do. The strike-in for the reverse direction is usually situated closer in to the crossing than that for the normal direction, so a lower reverse direction approach speed limit is applied to preserve the minimum warning time. Bi-di controls are incorporated today even when the two lines are not otherwise signalled for two way working. This is in order that when temporary single line working with pilotman is implemented, during engineering work for instance, it avoids having to post an additional local operator at the crossing to activate it manually on instruction from the signaller (using the local control unit).

najaB

Veteran Member
It shouldn't happen in the US either. The film showed a single track so, by definition, it must have had bidirectional controls. So I'm mystified why the lights and barriers didn't activate on approach. It's possible there was something wrong with the crossing or perhaps it was purposely disabled on a section of track out of use or mothballed, of which there's a great deal in the USA.
I am not surprised by anything about US rail, especially secondary tracks like that appeared to be. It may even not have automated warnings in both directions if the approach speed was expected to be low from one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.