• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKJimar53

What are the rules about drinking alcohol on National Rail trains. I know on tfl its banned but i cant find anything about it online. Could anyone send me a link to rules about it.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidBrown

I believe that there's no rules on NR trains, though I guess the BTP could be involved if anyone got to the stage of being drunk and disorderly?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What are the rules about drinking alcohol on National Rail trains. I know on tfl its banned but i cant find anything about it online. Could anyone send me a link to rules about it.

Thanks

The rules are pretty much the opposite of TfL's, ie there are no rules, except when they declare particular trains 'dry' - for instance if football supporters are involved in huge numbers.

Don't forget they'll be selling alcohol onboard anyway if there's a buffet, trolley or restaurant service provided, so it would be a bit daft to have a blanket ban...

First class

Established Member
A TOC will generally publish information around Special Events stating that the carriage of alcohol/intoxicated people will be prohibited between certain dates/stations/times and makes legal reference to Byelaws.

Merseyrail, for instance, has banned alcohol in Liverpool City Centre stations during the Grand National.

JKJimar53

Thanks for the replies. Am pleased to know its legal provided your not drunk and disorderly.

Ivo

Established Member
You will also find the odd location in which a TOC may prohibit it entirely, again with reference to Byelaws. Some of the Welsh Valley Lines are examples of this.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
You will also find the odd location in which a TOC may prohibit it entirely, again with reference to Byelaws. Some of the Welsh Valley Lines are examples of this.

does tfl's ban include overground?

I'm with the school of thought that drink aint a problem on trains although am glad scotrail ban it from trains to/from edinburgh on rugby days. Have done some happilly intoxicated runs though on holidays/breaks with the lads and woant forget the time vt's euston glasgow pendo was 2hrs late and I had a first advance. Wel, i say I woant forget, there were bits hard to remember!

krus_aragon

Established Member

That'll be all services north of Pontypridd and Caerphilly.

Established Member
TPE have had dry trains running from York to Middlesbrough recently. You also had to pass a sobriety test (i.e. walk in a straight line) to be allowed on board.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Just for the record, the 2003 Licencing Act which controls the retail sale of alcoholic drink across England and Wales does not apply to the railways (nor to aircraft, ships and certain other vehicles while in motion).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Legally, you can take as much on the train as you want, on the sole condition that it is already inside. :lol:

JKJimar53

does tfl's ban include overground?

I'm with the school of thought that drink aint a problem on trains although am glad scotrail ban it from trains to/from edinburgh on rugby days. Have done some happilly intoxicated runs though on holidays/breaks with the lads and woant forget the time vt's euston glasgow pendo was 2hrs late and I had a first advance. Wel, i say I woant forget, there were bits hard to remember!

The TFL ban includes all services operated by them. That is buses, tramlink, dlr and the underground

NSE

Established Member
Legally, you can take as much on the train as you want, on the sole condition that it is already inside. :lol:

Ahhh that be true! I stumbled over Whyteleafe South footbridge and fell onto the train, and managed to get to a seat. I also made it the whole way home to Cambridge which I was quite proud of :)

SS4

Established Member
Ahhh that be true! I stumbled over Whyteleafe South footbridge and fell onto the train, and managed to get to a seat. I also made it the whole way home to Cambridge which I was quite proud of :)

With or without a trip to the gents? :p

I almost missed the train at Wolvo once due to CH3CH2OH and couldn't find which platform to get to. Thankfully it had come from Liverpool and hence direct to Brum

strange6

Established Member

I almost missed the train at Wolvo once due to CH3CH2OH and couldn't find which platform to get to. Thankfully it had come from Liverpool and hence direct to Brum

Why don't you just write Ethanol instead of showing off with your molecular formulae! :)

NSE

Established Member

Haha I seem to recall I had to run to change trains at East Croydon, and from Victoria to the underground and through the bowels of KGX. I promptly found a loo on the train :P

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Haha I seem to recall I had to run to change trains at East Croydon, and from Victoria to the underground and through the bowels of KGX. I promptly found a loo on the train :P

OMG, if it was quite recent I hope you knew to ignore all the signs pointing to the exit at KX and head in the opposite direction to get out quickly :)

NSE

Established Member
OMG, if it was quite recent I hope you knew to ignore all the signs pointing to the exit at KX and head in the opposite direction to get out quickly :)

Oh yeah, I use KGX frequently, I refuse to use the new ticket office/booking hall. I always go out the quick way!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
been there, done it got the tshirt! never wil I forget the time traveling glasgow - carlisle via dumfries to avoid bustitution and the 156s bog was out of order. We went like the clappers from the stop before and on approach 5 mins early the guard announced that he'd phoned ahead and the toilets at dumfries would be opened specially despite the booking office and wating room having been closed as the staff member was finished. Never bin on a 156 that worked harder and it was mental on the platform as loads of punters had been drinkin since glc.

Only time iv personally been caught short was on a 4 car 158 working the 2nd last fife train of the day from edb. All 4 loos were o o u and as had partaken of a few I had to get off at south gyle and water the flowerbeds, hoping the last train wouldnt be cansled!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh yeah, I use KGX frequently, I refuse to use the new ticket office/booking hall. I always go out the quick way!

Indeed, that little nuggat of knowledge has saved me missing trains a few times :D

scotsman

Established Member
Take an example from February - went to a mate's party in Dalmeny with 4 beers in my rucksack (each in a sock, so as to avoid clattering). Drank 2 of these beers, and some of his. Left and got train into Edinburgh, rather than wait an hour for the last train to Fife. Enjoyed another beer on the way into Edinburgh, then handed my rucksack to a mate over the age of 18 - that way the BTP couldn't confiscate the remaining drink! Got on the last train, finished the last beer!

First class

Established Member
Yes, all TfL services are included in the ban.

I understand that TfL's Railway Byelaws apply to London Overground, instead of the National Rail ones.

I believe the National Rail byelaws still apply to London Overground.

Their customer charter from Feb 2011, makes reference to the DfT byelaws on Page 13, and advises where you can obtain a copy from.

Railway Byelaws
Britain’s Railway Byelaws cover trains, tracks
and stations across the country. To ensure
ease of travel and safety on the railway system,
including customers, staff, property and
equipment, the Byelaws need to be observed
by everyone...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/customer-charter-feb2011.pdf

transmanche

Established Member
Their customer charter from Feb 2011, makes reference to the DfT byelaws on Page 13, and advises where you can obtain a copy from.
Ah I read about it ages back in this blog post on a DfT consultation in February 2010, about changes to the byelaws.

A copy of the consultation document still exists on the TfL website, confirming that the plan was "that London Overground services be covered by the TfL Railway Byelaws so that there is consistency across TfL services. At present, London Overground is covered by the National Railway Byelaws [and it is proposed] to list London Overground as an exempt Operator from the National Railway Byelaws". But there's no sign of the consultation in the DfT archive. And the TfL Conditions of Carriage from January 2011 refer to the (old) LRT byelaws.

So I guess the idea was dropped. How very odd... I wonder why?

radamfi

Established Member
It would be amusing if NR came under the TfL ban and you had to stop drinking as soon as you entered zone 6!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah I read about it ages back in this blog post on a DfT consultation in February 2010, about changes to the byelaws.

A copy of the consultation document still exists on the TfL website, confirming that the plan was "that London Overground services be covered by the TfL Railway Byelaws so that there is consistency across TfL services. At present, London Overground is covered by the National Railway Byelaws [and it is proposed] to list London Overground as an exempt Operator from the National Railway Byelaws". But there's no sign of the consultation in the DfT archive. And the TfL Conditions of Carriage from January 2011 refer to the (old) LRT byelaws.

So I guess the idea was dropped. How very odd... I wonder why?

Oh, so in that respect, London Overground is still classed under the National Network (including if you fancy a tinny on the way back presumably)?

Status
Not open for further replies.