• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover and Ticket Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacw

Having just completed a 7 day All Line Rover, why does this ticket not work at ANY ticket barrier. Are the train companies just to lazy to program it in?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashworth

Established Member
I think that is probably the case with most Rover and Ranger Tickets. I've stayed at friends near Blackpool and for the last few summers and have used a 7 Day NW Rover and I can't think of any barriers which have accepted my ticket.

I've actually found the staff on the barriers quite irritating at Blackpool North where almost every morning and evening for a week, when I have departed/arrived from there, they have tried to insist that I must attempt to put my ticket through the barrier even though I tell them that it won't work!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most rovers don't activate barriers, and it's the same with many promotional tickets such as the Red Dot Day tickets for unlimited travel on EMT. The barrier staff at Nottingham called the Red Dot Day "stupid" as a result as they didn't like having to let people through manually as they wanted to chat to their collegues.

Welshman

Established Member
It seems to be rather "hit and miss" as to which tickets are accepted by the barriers. Here in North Wales, Club 55s don't work ATW barriers even though they are specifically promoted by ATW.
Then recently, seeing someone off at Chester and wanting to carry her luggage on to the platform, I asked for a platform ticket at the barriers there, and was told I had to buy one at the booking office [fair enough, but I wished I'd known before as I'd queued-up there only a few moments ago to purchase the ticket for my companion!]. When I returned with said ticket and attempted to access the barriers, I was informed by the same member of the gate staff that platform tickets don't work the barriers, and he let me through with his pass card!
All part of life's rich tapestry!

eos

I've actually found the staff on the barriers quite irritating at Blackpool North where almost every morning and evening for a week, when I have departed/arrived from there, they have tried to insist that I must attempt to put my ticket through the barrier even though I tell them that it won't work!

This is because every failure is logged and afterwards checked by IT personel to see if the programming needs changing. If you don't put it in and fail, then IT say 'No failures, No changes'. Nearly the only way to get them added is to let them fail regularly.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Given that this has been occurring for years, I'm not holding my breath for this happening.

Nor I - I regularly go through the barriers at Leeds station with an AP ticket - not breaking my journey, just using Station Facilities. I'm usually off the platforms about 10 minutes. The barriers always let me out, but almost never back in. I've never had any problems getting a member of staff to let me back in once I make my way through the queue to him. It flashes up "No Passback". The only time it's let me back in is when I've had a long connection and been off the platforms for 20 minutes or more. This seems rather daft as if I've been off the platforms longer it's more likely that I have actually broken my journey and invalidated my ticket. This has happened ever since the gates were put in (well apart from the first couple of weeks when they took anything you stuck in them).

Last edited:

ashworth

Established Member
This is because every failure is logged and afterwards checked by IT personel to see if the programming needs changing. If you don't put it in and fail, then IT say 'No failures, No changes'. Nearly the only way to get them added is to let them fail regularly.

They insisted every morning and evening for a week in July 2008 that I tried my ticket in the barrier (total of 14 times) and it still would not work a year later in July 2009. Perhaps 2010 will be the year when it will work.
Or perhaps not!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Nor I - I regularly go through the barriers at Leeds station with an AP ticket - not breaking my journey, just using Station Facilities. I'm usually off the platforms about 10 minutes. The barriers always let me out, but almost never back in. I've never had any problems getting a member of staff to let me back in once I make my way through the queue to him. It flashes up "No Passback". The only time it's let me back in is when I've had a long connection and been off the platforms for 20 minutes or more. This seems rather daft as if I've been off the platforms longer it's more likely that I have actually broken my journey and invalidated my ticket. This has happened ever since the gates were put in (well apart from the first couple of weeks when they took anything you stuck in them).

Leeds has simply the most disorganised barrier line anywhere in the country that I have come across. At nearly every other station I have been to, the staff who are there to assist are generally loitering around the wide gates towards the end. Thus if you have a ticket which won't work the gates, or have a travel pass which has no stripe anyway - you can easily see where to go and get through relatively easily.

At Leeds however the staff (of which there are often many) are generally bimbling around the place anywhere EXCEPT at the wide gates - which incidentally is where Northern have helpfully put big signs up saying "Barrier Assistance". Thus, if you go to the sign which says "Barrier Assistance" you generally can't get any. What you have do is look through the crowds and try and spot someone in the green jackets and then fight your way through the crowds and hope they don't move before you get to the front. Or if you are lucky, they are often all on the same side, wandering around talking to each other which means you have to get to the barrier then try and shout, wave or otherwise attract their attention to get them to let you through. Meanwhile an annoyed queue is building up behind you!

Having said the plus point is that you don't normally need a ticket of any sorts to get through the gates. Either because a) they have locked one of the wide gates open while they wander off for a chat or b) Just stand there looking gormless and without asking one of them will normally come up and "beep" his pass to let you through - without actually ever bothering to ask if you have a ticket in the first place. Both of these obviously defeat the whole object of the barrier in the first place but is surprisingly common from my observations.

Some better discipline is required there I think.

Back to the original topic, I had an ALR about two years ago and it didn't work any barrier anywhere! Nor incidentally did a Southern Daysave at any Southern station, which by the end of the day got most irritating.

theblackwatch

Established Member

I've had that problem with tickets at Leeds too. I had a CDR Starbeck-Keighley (en route to KWVR45's event last June) and nipped out at Leeds to visit WH Smiths. On my return 5 minutes later, it was a case of 'computer says no'. Of course, what I did was perfectly valid!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think there might be a time limit on using the same ticket twice.

dmacw

The All Line Rail rover works in Waterloo's gates...

The only time I passed through Waterloo was about 22.00 and they were all open. Then again that's a topic for another thread over the times barriers are operational.

Status
Not open for further replies.