• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover - Nottingham to Bedford before 10am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoh

I'm thinking of doing an all line rover soon and am running into difficulty with the 10:00 restrictions applied. My question is where would I need a ticket from in order to alight at Bedford from Nottingham or East Midlands Parkway to change onto a local service there. If I get the 07:10 from Nottingham the last scheduled stop is Kettering. Would I need a ticket from there? You normally only need a ticket to the boundary for a rover don't you - event if the train doesn't stop there? An all line rover has no boundary by definition just restrictions. Thoughts please.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr20780b0a0400020167ed620a7e504e.aspx

The All Lines Rail Rover is not valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or Virgin Trains East Coast before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:

Birmingham New Street
Bedford etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
To comply with those restrictions you'd only need a ticket from Wellingborough.

Personally, I thought the restrictions were to stop people commuting with these tickets so restrictions on alighting at Bedford, Milton Keynes, Luton etc.. when travelling towards London seem particularly harsh especially if you don't leave the station before catching a connecting train that isn't time barred.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is debatable, but I believe that you would need a ticket from Kettering in the case given. A 19(c) split isn't relevant because this isn't a season ticket matter (ie; a geographical restriction) but a strict time restriction. This is because the wording of the restriction deems that the ticket is not valid for being on board that train after it departs Kettering.

I have no doubt that much discussion will follow.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
It's been said on here before that to avoid the Milton Keynes restriction, you only need a ticket to/from Wolverton. Can't see why Bedford would be any different.

The ALR is a leisure travel pass so there should be no need for the train to call at the station at which you change from one ticket to another as per condition 19(c).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
This is debatable, but I believe that you would need a ticket from Kettering in the case given. A 19(c) split isn't relevant because this isn't a season ticket matter (ie; a geographical restriction) but a strict time restriction. This is because the wording of the restriction deems that the ticket is not valid for being on board that train after it departs Kettering.

I have no doubt that much discussion will follow.

I would agree that is not the intent of condition 19(c) to allow someone to bypass a ticket restriction, but then 19(c) was brought about before that stupid ticket restriction. I cannot see how it could be argued that a 19(c) split has not occurred even if the additional ticket is from Wellingborough.

I'm sure the TOCs are aware of this situation and are probably not that worried so long as it doesn't become a widespread solution to "expensive" fares.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Aye. My understanding is that as long as this is limited to a handful of enthusiasts there would be little appetite to forbid 19(c) split in this way. Should this become more widespread and used by commuters to undercut their seasons, more restrictions will likely be placed on the ALR

Steveoh

Thank all. On reading the restrictions again it's not valid to board or alight at those stations before 10am. Academic really but could it be argued that you could make the full journey to St Pancras and only get a single from the last thameslink station the train went through.

Established Member
Thank all. On reading the restrictions again it's not valid to board or alight at those stations before 10am. Academic really but could it be argued that you could make the full journey to St Pancras and only get a single from the last thameslink station the train went through.

Correct.

IanD

Established Member

Kentish Town £3.30.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure the TOCs are aware of this situation and are probably not that worried so long as it doesn't become a widespread solution to "expensive" fares.
Indeed, if I recall correctly Tom asked someone at ATOC (when the changes were implemented 5 years ago) and their response was pretty much that!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Kentish Town £3.30.

A really pedantic person might argue against an EMT train passing through Kentish Town. West Hampstead Thameslink is the same price but there is no real debate about the train passing through.

Steveoh

A really pedantic person might argue against an EMT train passing through Kentish Town. West Hampstead Thameslink is the same price but there is no real debate about the train passing through.

What would the chances be of getting through the barriers at St Pancras? It's not something I would want to even contemplate risking.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
What would the chances be of getting through the barriers at St Pancras? It's not something I would want to even contemplate risking.

Good question. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's actually used such a split from or to Euston, Kings Cross or St Pancras.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Chances are an ALR wouldn't work the barriers at St Pancras even at a valid time!

The barriers do not determine validity.

Steveoh

Chances are an ALR wouldn't work the barriers at St Pancras even at a valid time!

The barriers do not determine validity.

I wasn't just talking about the ticket barriers. It's the conversation that would go on when the thameslink single / ALR failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.