• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ALR question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Blue

This will probably be the first of many questions leading up to my ALR so apologies in advance.

In am planning on getting the 06.25 Cross-Country service from Plymouth into Birmingham New Street.
The train arrives into New Street at 09.56 and then departs onward at 10.03.
Am I OK (under the new restrictions) to stay aboard the train on arrival and then alight at 10.00.01 exactly?
This train is critical to my days plans.
(My onward train is at 10.36 so definitely allowed)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From 2 January 2011 the All Lines Rail Rover will not be valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, or Virgin Trains before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:

* Birmingham New Street

It only says boarding or allighting, not arrival or departure, so I can't see a problem with that service. If it's on time then I'm not sure that they really could hold you on the train, in fact as long as you don't try and exit to the concourse until just after 10 I'm sure you would be fine.

bnm

Established Member
An example that just highlights the crass stupidity of the new restriction on ALRs.

The wording on that restriction is really poor. The restriction itself has some silly points.

The ex Harrogate HST, you can get off at London but not Stevenage!

nedchester

Established Member
This will probably be the first of many questions leading up to my ALR so apologies in advance.

In am planning on getting the 06.25 Cross-Country service from Plymouth into Birmingham New Street.
The train arrives into New Street at 09.56 and then departs onward at 10.03.
Am I OK (under the new restrictions) to stay aboard the train on arrival and then alight at 10.00.01 exactly?
This train is critical to my days plans.
(My onward train is at 10.36 so definitely allowed)

Just tell the conductor you are going to Derby and then get off at New Street as planned.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It only says boarding or allighting, not arrival or departure, so I can't see a problem with that service. If it's on time then I'm not sure that they really could hold you on the train, in fact as long as you don't try and exit to the concourse until just after 10 I'm sure you would be fine.

Why not just say you've come in on an LM service in the very unlikely event of you being questioned!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just tell the conductor you are going to Derby and then get off at New Street as planned.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Why not just say you've come in on an LM service in the very unlikely event of you being questioned!

I don't condone nor recommend lying or misleading

But one must admit that these restrictions are nearly impossible to enforce effectively.

wintonian

Established Member
How many guards/ barrier staff are aware of or know the new restrictions anyway?

wintonian

Established Member
Just enough for Sod's law to prevail and the OP to be questioned at some point?

The point I was really trying make is; instead of getting caught up in whether you can finish your cup of tea and leave the train 2/3 minutes after arrival, why not ask the guard if it would be ok, I suspect quite a few will still be under the impression that they are unrestricted and most of those that are aware of the new restrictions would see how silly they are in this example and allow you to alight with your tea in hand.

rail-britain

Established Member
It's quite obvious there is going to be confusion

Some ticket examiners will no doubt misunderstand it as any train serving Birmingham, even if the ticket holder is not travelling to that station

Equally, if a change of train is required at Birmingham

As before, travel with reservations for proof, is my recommendation

However, the major issue is that the ALR is not station specific
Although it is quite similar to the CDR restriction that applies between Glasgow QS and Edinburgh
You can still travel to other stations, as allowed by breaking of journeys

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am tempted to suggest that the 09.56 arrival at New Street will probably be a few minutes late anyway....

Trainbuff

I actually work as a guard for a rail company! I was not aware of the restrictions on ALR either. In practice the Train Manager gets off here and I am sure will be more eager to get to his break than worry about someone travelling on an ALR.

It is most unlikely that the Guard will ask what your destination is in any case. Why would they?

Alternatively why not change at Cheltenham and get the Manchester service from there. It will arrive at birmingham around 10.25. Leaving you 11 minutes to make your connection.

Hopes this helps

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How many guards/ barrier staff are aware of or know the new restrictions anyway?
Guards and barrier staff may have memorised some restrictions for local tickets, but in most cases if they think a ticket is valid they tend to accept it and move on (to do otherwise would be impracticable) however if they think a ticket may be invalid they should look it up on Avantix, this will list all the restrictions.
I am tempted to suggest that the 09.56 arrival at New Street will probably be a few minutes late anyway....
It doesn't need to be.

No guard is going to watch over you during the station stop to ensure you do not alight before 1000. Well, perhaps the infamous 'Gordon' of Virgin Trains from Liverpool might have done, but he was a special case who was lucky not to be charged for wasting police time on occasions. I just can't see any normal person doing that.

Ferret

Established Member
Guards and barrier staff may have memorised some restrictions for local tickets, but in most cases if they think a ticket is valid they tend to accept it and move on (to do otherwise would be impracticable) however if they think a ticket may be invalid they should look it up on Avantix, this will list all the restrictions.

It doesn't need to be.

No guard is going to watch over you during the station stop to ensure you do not alight before 1000. Well, perhaps the infamous 'Gordon' of Virgin Trains from Liverpool might have done, but he was a special case who was lucky not to be charged for wasting police time on occasions. I just can't see any normal person doing that.

Yorkie, am I right in thinking that if you wanted to go Brum-Leeds before 10 on an ALR, all you'd need to do would be to buy a ticket to Tamworth, and then use the ALR from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.