• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom Aventra Hydrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollman

Established Member
Also Stanlow. The HyNet project.
I think Stanlow is providing Hydrogen for buses in London so could easily cover these units too. (The irony that 'green' power is provided by HGVs travelling up and down the M6/M1)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
I think Stanlow is providing Hydrogen for buses in London so could easily cover these units too. (The irony that 'green' power is provided by HGVs travelling up and down the M6/M1)
I thought the Hydrogen for the TfL buses was now coming from a new plant on the Isle of Grain. (Only 20 hydrogen buses to worry about)

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I thought the Hydrogen for the TfL buses was now coming from a new plant on the Isle of Grain. (Only 20 hydrogen buses to worry about)
AIUI there is a hydrogen fuelling plant at Tyseley in the West Midlands for the 20 NXWM hydrogen Streetdecks. Presume that hydrogen is also trucked down the M6

Mollman

Established Member
Not sure, meant to be 'Green' Hydrogen from 2023. Article below is from launch so might have changed since.
The hydrogen for the buses is currently being produced at Air Liquide’s plant in Runcorn, harnessing waste hydrogen as a by-product from an industrial chlor-alkali plant. Oxford-based Ryze Hydrogen is responsible for transporting the fuel to the fueling station. From 2023, the hydrogen will be even greener as it will be produced by electrolysis powered by a direct connection to an offshore windfarm.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/06/20210627-london.html

Meerkat

Established Member
Is green hydrogen created using renewables really green whilst its using renewables that could otherwise be used elsewhere instead of gas power stations?

100andthirty

The whole issue with most carbon free renewables - eg wind, wave, is both to make good use of surplus energy derived from these sources. Ideally, the energy should be stored for use later when there's no wind or it's slack water. There are various storage techniques. Hydrogen is one such; gas power stations could be adapted to burn this stored hydrogen. Another is to use the surplus energy to pump water up to a reservoir for use later - like hydro electric systems store water from streams and rivers. Generating hydrogen though electrolysis is not energy efficient, but the plant is quite compact. In comparison, water reservoirs take quite a lot of land and much environmental protest. There's no perfect answer and working though the overall efficiency of all the various competing processes is complex with their protagonists arguing their respective corners. It reminds me of the AC v DC wars in the early days of electricity where the advocates of both systems competed for domestic and industrial customers.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Is green hydrogen created using renewables really green whilst its using renewables that could otherwise be used elsewhere instead of gas power stations?
This is exactly like the 'money for HS2 can be spent improving existing railways' argument. Yes, I'm pretty sure it could be used like that, but it's already been allocated to hydrogen production.

Also, you appear to have confused what grey hydrogen and green hydrogen mean. Grey hydrogen is created as a by-product of fossil fuel production. Green hydrogen is created by splitting water into H2 and O. Green hydrogen can be created using non-renewable power but it makes more sense to use renewable power sources.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its an energy storage method. To use an extreme example you could use hydrogen generated at a solar powered plant to power a train that runs at night. It may be more suitable than batteries in some use cases perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.