• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom Class 321 Hydrogen 'Breeze' Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
- How much diesel would be needed to run the train?
vs
- How much diesel would be used to transport the hydrogen?
The answer to that (with the proviso that the fuel for both would be more hydrogen rather than diesel) depends on how many fills of a train hydrogen tank can be made from the hydrogen carried on a single HGV, and how far the hydrogen has to be transported by road. If the answers are "about 10" and "similar to the range of the train" for a hydrogen operation some distance from any hydrogen pipeline, it might reduce the efficiency of the hydrdogen cycle by a few percentage points.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
The answer to that (with the proviso that the fuel for both would be more hydrogen rather than diesel) depends on how many fills of a train hydrogen tank can be made from the hydrogen carried on a single HGV, and how far the hydrogen has to be transported by road. If the answers are "about 10" and "similar to the range of the train" for a hydrogen operation some distance from any hydrogen pipeline, it might reduce the efficiency of the hydrogen cycle by a few percentage points.
The problem for Hydrogen+ Rail is that the answer is less than one in most cases.

Something like a 66, 68 or 70 would be 8-10 HGVs trailer loads of Hydrogen per diesel fuel tank equivalent range.

DfT is doing the Hydrogen trial at Middlesborough because they because there is a Hydrogen supply the other side of fence in 2 places, hence zero road transport and minimal train mileage to refueling point.

Windermere was bonkers as proposed location as the train or the hydrogen would have had to be moved ~ a hundred miles.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The problem for Hydrogen+ Rail is that the answer is less than one in most cases.

Something like a 66, 68 or 70 would be 8-10 HGVs trailer loads of Hydrogen per diesel fuel tank equivalent range.

DfT is doing the Hydrogen trial at Middlesborough because they because there is a Hydrogen supply the other side of fence in 2 places, hence zero road transport and minimal train mileage to refueling point.

Windermere was bonkers as proposed location as the train or the hydrogen would have had to be moved ~ a hundred miles.
I was thinking more of passenger trains, as studies (though perhaps not all forum members) accept hydrogen isn't a viable option for freight - simply because diesel fuel tank equivalent range isn't achievable. If anyone tried it then it would need two or three wagons of hydrogen, further reducing the ratio of payload carried to fuel used.

Bornin1980s

Yes, the Tees Valley trial is because of the local availability of hydrogen as an industrial by-product which normally goes to waste. I suppose the Windermere proposal was an attempt to make a positive out of the electrification cutback (the Tees Valley was never to be electrified).

As for the train length, the Tees Valley rarely (if ever) sees anything longer than two carriages. Until very recently, the line was dominated by pacers.

supervc-10

I am totally unconvinced by the idea of hydrogen. The energy efficiency of electricity>electrolysis>hydrogen>fuel cell>electricity to the motors is just rubbish compared to just electricity>battery>electricity to the motors. Unless we have fairly limitless electricity it just doesn't make sense as a carbon neutral option.

It only makes sense like in the Tees Valley trial where the hydrogen is a byproduct of other industrial processes.

There's a reason why there are loads of battery electric cars on the market now, and the market is growing significantly, whilst the only hydrogen cars are the Hyundai Nexo (18 cars currently registered in the UK) and the Toyota Mirai (150 registered). There are more of those dire G-Wiz things on the road than hydrogen cars. It's just not an economical way of powering something.

Energy

Established Member
There's a reason why there are loads of battery electric cars on the market now, and the market is growing significantly, whilst the only hydrogen cars are the Hyundai Nexo (18 cars currently registered in the UK) and the Toyota Mirai (150 registered). There are more of those dire G-Wiz things on the road than hydrogen cars. It's just not an economical way of powering something.
The reason why there aren't many hydrogen cars is because there are no hydrogen filling stations which there are none of because there is no hydrogen cars. It is an issue of the chicken and the egg while battery cars can be charged at home so they didn't have this issue. If hydrogen filling stations are common (say government grants funded them) then hydrogen cars would have probably been more popular.

James James

I am totally unconvinced by the idea of hydrogen. The energy efficiency of electricity>electrolysis>hydrogen>fuel cell>electricity to the motors is just rubbish compared to just electricity>battery>electricity to the motors. Unless we have fairly limitless electricity it just doesn't make sense as a carbon neutral option.

It only makes sense like in the Tees Valley trial where the hydrogen is a byproduct of other industrial processes.
What you say is true, if you ignore:
- Energy density of batteries.
- Costs of producing batteries.
- Costs and difficulty of electrical transmission from deep-sea wind farms.

There are good reasons for batteries, there can also be good reasons for hydrogen. For consumer vehicles (cars), batteries win for various reasons (not least of which: can charge at home without too much hassle) - for other vehicles... let's see.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Windermere was bonkers just because it was and still is bonkers not to just shove the wires up. In railway terms it's about the simplest and cheapest electrification scheme that can be imagined.

hwl

Established Member
Windermere was bonkers just because it was and still is bonkers not to just shove the wires up. In railway terms it's about the simplest and cheapest electrification scheme that can be imagined.
Even if they just wire till the first "problem" bridge or the national park boundary to avoid any short term planning issues it would mean that just 1 battery unit could operate the shuttle service instead of 2...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even if they just wire till the first "problem" bridge or the national park boundary to avoid any short term planning issues it would mean that just 1 battery unit could operate the shuttle service instead of 2...

I don't believe there are any insurmountable "problem" bridges, nor is there an issue with the National Park objecting to it. It was simply not done to save about 50p in railway terms. They just need to open their wallets and get on with it, ideally now while demand is low so a few months of buses while they do it won't bother anyone.

XAM2175

Established Member
Is the fact that the 600 series dedicated to alternative fuels a new thing? I didn't recall it.
Yes, I quoted the press release on the previous page of discussion

The exact wording from the RIS-2453-RST Vehicle Registration and Numbering standard is that classes 600 to 699 are for multiple-unit sets using "diesel and/or other fuels".

supervc-10

The reason why there aren't many hydrogen cars is because there are no hydrogen filling stations which there are none of because there is no hydrogen cars. It is an issue of the chicken and the egg while battery cars can be charged at home so they didn't have this issue. If hydrogen filling stations are common (say government grants funded them) then hydrogen cars would have probably been more popular.

The Hyundai Nexo costs £70k, which doesn't help either. Why buy a Nexo when for the same money you can have a Jaguar I-Pace?

Overall it's not an economical plan. EV chargers have popped up everywhere- Zap-Map lists over 18,000 of them. The infrastructure is part of the whole thing. Battery Electric is cheaper and more efficient. Much of the infrastructure is already there. The one and only thing that's stopping me buying an EV right now is the cost for a decent range one- and that's coming down. And it's not like I don't drive much. I bought my car new in March 2019 and I'm probably going to pass 20,000 miles this week. My next car is probably going to be a VW ID.3.

Hydrogen has one advantage- fast 'refuel'. Battery technology is improving, and is now at a point where one charge can do a significant distance to the point where in cars it's limited more by the driver's bladder than anything else. Rail I would imagine is more tricky, true, but I'm quite sure that it will be easier to sling a bunch of batteries under an EMU and some short stretches of 25kV than to end up taking up half the passenger space with a giant hydrogen tank and build even larger ones for the fuelling depot. Charging can be done at end stations, and on further stretches of the line which are electrified.

Hydrogen has two key disadvantages as a fuel- it's difficult to economically and cleanly produce, and it has a very low energy density. In a world with limitless cheap and clean electricity then it makes sense as a storage medium. In a world where we are still burning fossil fuels for electricity, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to waste electricity converting water to hydrogen and back again. As I said, using the byproduct of industrial processes like in Tees Valley makes sense- it's 'free' energy if it is otherwise vented into the atmosphere. But it's totally nuts to waste electricity on producing it specifically for transport when a battery is a far more efficient storage medium.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Hydrogen has one advantage- fast 'refuel'. Battery technology is improving, and is now at a point where one charge can do a significant distance to the point where in cars it's limited more by the driver's bladder than anything else. Rail I would imagine is more tricky, true, but I'm quite sure that it will be easier to sling a bunch of batteries under an EMU and some short stretches of 25kV than to end up taking up half the passenger space with a giant hydrogen tank and build even larger ones for the fuelling depot. Charging can be done at end stations, and on further stretches of the line which are electrified.

The prototype IPEMU (the Bombardier Class 379) took 6 tonnes of batteries, total capacity 460kWh, for maximum useful range of 75km. We expect either an increase in kWh for 6 tonnes, or a loss of weight for 460kWh with more recent developments, perhaps 10% improvement either way.

The problem, however, remains getting 500kW into a battery pack in a reasonable length of time. You need to have extensive 25kV AC OLE running before the discontinuous section or you need high powered charging points at either end. You can charge at anything upto 5MW whilst stationary before you'll burn out the pantograph carbon (they don't like high loads whilst stationary) but getting 5MW of supply to a remote charging point will be difficult as it's more likely these charger systems will be connected to the local area grid, not a 25kV rail feeder. The more reasonable scenario is 500kW to 1MW of supply (comparable to larger car charging circuits).

That's obviously going to be 30 minutes to 1 hour to recharge a completely empty battery pack, and 20 to 40 minutes in realistic scenarios. This, as we've pointed out pretty often, means battery trains are a very bespoke solution for very specific routes.

James James

Hydrogen has two key disadvantages as a fuel- it's difficult to economically and cleanly produce, and it has a very low energy density.
Except that it's 10x higher than batteries.

But it's totally nuts to waste electricity on producing it specifically for transport when a battery is a far more efficient storage medium.
Except it's not if you need to transport electricity from deep-sea wind-farm, overseas solar farms, etc.

You clearly have an axe to grind with Hydrogen, but I'd suggest a little bit of deeper thought on the topics raised above. It's nonsensical for cars indeed. We are on a railway forum, not a car forum.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Except it's not if you need to transport electricity from deep-sea wind-farm, overseas solar farms, etc.
Curious as to why you imply hydrogen is less difficult to transport than electricity. We already have the necessary infrastructure to move electricity around the country and to/from our neighbours, which may need reinforcement in places but doing so is known technology. There is no infrastructure to transport hydrogen - I believe existing pipelines can't be re-used, even if no longer needed for their original purpose, as it can diffuse through many materials. So unless the fueling can take place near the source of the hydrogen you're looking at a hugely expensive new pipeline or transport by vehicle, probably road.

D365

Veteran Member
The prototype IPEMU (the Bombardier Class 379) took 6 tonnes of batteries, total capacity 460kWh, for maximum useful range of 75km. We expect either an increase in kWh for 6 tonnes, or a loss of weight for 460kWh with more recent developments, perhaps 10% improvement either way.

Referring back to my IPEMU spec sheet, the 424kWh worth of batteries + ancillary equipment came to a mass of eight tons.

The problem, however, remains getting 500kW into a battery pack in a reasonable length of time. You need to have extensive 25kV AC OLE running before the discontinuous section or you need high powered charging points at either end. You can charge at anything upto 5MW whilst stationary before you'll burn out the pantograph carbon (they don't like high loads whilst stationary) but getting 5MW of supply to a remote charging point will be difficult as it's more likely these charger systems will be connected to the local area grid, not a 25kV rail feeder. The more reasonable scenario is 500kW to 1MW of supply (comparable to larger car charging circuits).

That's obviously going to be 30 minutes to 1 hour to recharge a completely empty battery pack, and 20 to 40 minutes in realistic scenarios. This, as we've pointed out pretty often, means battery trains are a very bespoke solution for very specific routes.

Obviously you wouldn’t want to do more than an 80% charge on a regular basis - depth of discharge and all that - but as you say, the challenge is delivering a 5MW supply at the charging point. Vivarail proposes a lineside battery that will charge from the grid and discharge to a train, but that adds additional maintenance costs and complexity.

Roose

I don't believe there are any insurmountable "problem" bridges, nor is there an issue with the National Park objecting to it. It was simply not done to save about 50p in railway terms. They just need to open their wallets and get on with it, ideally now while demand is low so a few months of buses while they do it won't bother anyone.
Absolutely correct.

Although, sadly, the idea of anything on the railway happening quickly is as fanciful as a magic moonbeam capture process being set up on Walney Island to power the railways of Sodor.

James James

Curious as to why you imply hydrogen is less difficult to transport than electricity. We already have the necessary infrastructure to move electricity around the country and to/from our neighbours, which may need reinforcement in places but doing so is known technology. There is no infrastructure to transport hydrogen - I believe existing pipelines can't be re-used, even if no longer needed for their original purpose, as it can diffuse through many materials. So unless the fueling can take place near the source of the hydrogen you're looking at a hugely expensive new pipeline or transport by vehicle, probably road.
I wouldn't say its less difficult, and I'd even agree it's a bit harder - but hydrogen transport opens up sources that are infeasible with electricity: oil travels around by ships from far away - and hydrogen carrying ships are now being built in similar fashion. That's considerably more flexible than pipelines/cables/etc - you can source your hydrogen from (just a silly example) antarctica, good luck getting electricity from there. As to the part of getting hydrogen from ports to where the trains are... can be done by rail presumably? (But more likely road initially?)

At some point it's not about efficiency, it's about cost effectiveness. And a large solar farm somewhere sunny + boat transport might end up being cheaper than lots of cables from wind farms (and that's not even taking into account that you still need lots of storage regardless of medium).

And realistically, batteries just aren't going to work for some routes - specifically the long infrequent routes that aren't realistically going to be electrified ever. For example, West Highland/Kyle of Lochalsh/Far North, which are specifically excluded from the new Scottish Electrification plans. Here's Alstoms take on the topic:
While a hydrogen train can cover 1000 km without refuelling, battery train range is more limited. With the new battery technology that we are working on now, it can be increased to over 120 km. "
(https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-news/2020/2/trains-go-green-focus-battery-and-hydrogen)

I'm guessing passengers won't be all that happy having to stop for a few hours to recharge half-way from Glasgow to Oban :p.

Bevan Price

Established Member
My concern with hydrogen fuel is safety, both in rail & road transport. Given the standards of road users' attitudes towards level crossings, etc., I fear the inevitable consequences of escaping hydrogen leading to a "Hindenberg" hydrogen-filled airship style disaster.
Escaping Hydrogen + Air in the "wrong proportions" + Sparks = Bang.
(And the thought of hydrogen-fuelled lorries, buses, cars, etc. colliding in residential areas is even more horrifying.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It mostly goes up in the air when the cells are breached. A fairly significant part of what happened to Hindenburg was the flammable "balloon" material burning as well as diesel which was used to power the propeller.

Lithium ion batteries can be worse...

Energy

Established Member
The material which the Hindenburg was made of contained layers what is used to make thermite although hydrogen did still have a large effect in the explosion of course.

Remember that a car is a petrol bomb or contains diesel which can also burn, latter is the same for trains. Batteries also have issues, if damaged Li Ion batteries can self ignite as the layers inside of them break. You shouldn't be concerned though, these get taken into consideration when vehicles are designed.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The material which the Hindenburg was made of contained layers what is used to make thermite although hydrogen did still have a large effect in the explosion of course.

Remember that a car is a petrol bomb or contains diesel which can also burn, latter is the same for trains. Batteries also have issues, if damaged Li Ion batteries can self ignite as the layers inside of them break. You shouldn't be concerned though, these get taken into consideration when vehicles are designed.
Yes - diesel can burn, but it is harder to ignite than petrol.
Lithium and some of its compounds have a dislike for water, although not as reactive as sodium or potassium. So, be warned - keep damaged Li ion batteries well away from water.

supervc-10

Per kilo, maybe. But kilos are only part of the issue. This Breeze concept is using half of a carriage to hold the hydrogen tank and other stuff.

You clearly have an axe to grind with Hydrogen, but I'd suggest a little bit of deeper thought on the topics raised above. It's nonsensical for cars indeed. We are on a railway forum, not a car forum.

You're clearly ignoring my major issue with it. In cars, about 32% of the electricity originally produced makes it to the wheels. That's assuming the hydrogen is generated at the wind turbine. In contrast, an electric car gets about 80%. LINK. I can't imagine a train is that different. The reason I'm going on about cars is that cars are where the innovation is. The technology is then trickling down into the rail industry.

In a world where we're burning fossil fuels for electricity, hydrogen is a boondoggle.

The true solution is electrification. But hydrogen power is only viable as an outlier case where it is already being produced as a waste product.

James James

In a world where we're burning fossil fuels for electricity, hydrogen is a boondoggle.

The true solution is electrification. But hydrogen power is only viable as an outlier case where it is already being produced as a waste product.
1. It's not a boondoggle, hydrogen as an electrical transport methodology is the subject of research in any case: https://www.ice.org.uk/news-and-ins...9/offshore-generation-hydrogen-far-from-shore
2. Electrification is highly unlikely to happen for routes that have already been mentioned in this thread.

On Moderation
2. Electrification is highly unlikely to happen for routes that have already been mentioned in this thread.
For those routes that won’t get electrification, stay with diesel. The impact of the emissions will be so small as to be irrelevant in the overall picture. The battery/hydrogen/bionic duckweed alternatives are markedly less efficient in terms of practicality, usability and cost.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For those routes that won’t get electrification, stay with diesel. The impact of the emissions will be so small as to be irrelevant in the overall picture. The battery/hydrogen/bionic duckweed alternatives are markedly less efficient in terms of practicality, usability and cost.

But then the railway ends up lacking environmental credentials and becomes a closure target in favour of Uncle Brian's electric buses.

Domh245

Established Member
But then the railway ends up lacking environmental credentials and becomes a closure target in favour of Uncle Brian's electric buses.

I think you've said it yourself before, but where a line can't justify electrification then perhaps one of Uncle Brian's electric buses (or minibuses) would be better.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think you've said it yourself before, but where a line can't justify electrification then perhaps one of Uncle Brian's electric buses (or minibuses) would be better.
Going for hydrogen or battery on lightly used lines is essentially a political decision - in the global scale of things sticking with diesel for these would be a drop in the ocean (which I guess would become a very small oil slick). However keeping the lines open is also a political decision, and neither is likely to change.

hwl

Established Member

Oh I've given it plenty of though and also done the calculations myself.
Firstly there is a difference between energy density and power density, batteries are much more interesting on the later basis.

The only issue I have with "Hydrogen" is the current snake oil salesmen and PR agencies attached to it in many cases. They are very selective about what is publicly shared and some how forget to mention the problems and disadvantages or benchmark it against other technologies, over the last year or so Hydrogen in rail has been subject to increasing independent scrutiny. You do presumably realise that Hydrogen MU are actually battery EMUs as they need as much regenerative braking energy recovered as possible to reduce the Hydrogen requirements.

Might I suggest you have look at the the excellent Scottish Rail Decarbonisation Action Plan report published yesterday as it has plenty to add on this subject and funnily enough matches exactly what I have been saying:

A rolling programme of electrification is essential to achieve journey time savings, lower operating costs and reduce emissions on more busy, high speed or heavy haul routes. The alternatives to full electrification will have a role for lightly used routes and on some long distance routes, where full electrification is not financially justified. The alternatives will also have a valuable role in the transition period until the optimal electrified network can be completed. Battery-electric trains have potential to offer operating cost savings (along with zero emissions) when compared with diesel power without the capital cost of full electrification infrastructure, though the capital and operating costs of battery electric vehicles are higher than standard electric trains. They can be brought into service relatively soon. They are currently considered effective for lower-intensity services of up to around 55 miles. Recent estimates suggest adding battery capability to electric trains adds around an additional 25% to their capital cost. The cost-effective viability of hydrogen is expected to improve over time as usage volumes increase noting that the cost of diesel may increase as less diesel is required for road transport. Hydrogen fuel cells do have the potential for services over longer distances, though the comparatively low energy density of hydrogen requires large fuel storage volume on trains for longer ranges. Initially hydrogen-fuelled trains are expected to have higher capital and operating costs than diesel trains. Emissions with the use of hydrogen fuel depend on how the hydrogen is generated, but will be substantially lower than diesel use. The opportunity is to focus on using hydrogen from renewable sources for zero emissions compared with diesel trains. Already in Scotland significant investment in production and distribution for hydrogen fuel is taking place and this is expected to become a major energy source for rail as well as domestic/industrial gas supply and other forms of transport.
Relative energy efficiency of traction types An electrically powered train is the most energy efficient form of traction. For every 1kW of power through its wheels it requires about 1.2kW from the National Grid. The small amount of energy loss is due to transmission from production to the traction motor via the National Grid, sub-stations, the overhead line equipment and on-train equipment. This loss means that in terms of power to create and power used in its drive an electric train has an efficiency of over 80% and there is the potential of a zero-carbon option particularly if the electricity is generated by sustainable sources (e.g. wind, hydro, tidal or solar). A battery train is 12% points less efficient in its operation than an electrically powered train because of the constraints of the battery i.e. its capacity to store and release energy, which, together with the weight of the battery, has a bearing on its range and capabilities. An electric train by contrast with unlimited access to electricity has a higher power range and thus has the capability to operate more efficiently in challenging situations such as inclines. Additionally, the cost of a battery adds about one third or more to the capital cost of a similar electric train powered via a catenary system. A hydrogen fuel cell train currently has some advantages over a battery train in that it can typically operate over longer non-electrified routes than a train with battery traction. Additionally, refuelling with hydrogen is fast, though hydrogen fuel occupies some seven times the volume as diesel for the same amount of energy. However, with hydrogen, 3.4kW of power is required to generate 1kW of drive via electrolysis and compression to the on-train fuel cell and converter. This gives an efficiency rating of less than 30%. It is expected that technology advancements will be made in the coming years to improve the efficiency of hydrogen fuel cells however it remains a considerable way behind electrification. That said it will have a role particularly on those lightly used routes where catenary systems may not be appropriate or cost effective and where battery would not have the range. A diesel train is the least energy efficient source of traction as 3.9kW of oil via extraction and refining before being stored on train for delivery to the engine and transmission is required to deliver 1kW of drive. This delivers an efficiency of about 26% which is the lowest of all fuel types and fails to take into account the noxious gases and particulates produced in its use.

Rather unsurprisingly as these are accurate numbers these numbers happen to be very close to the ones I have posted on this and other RF Hydrogen threads over several years, sorry if this disappoints you.
So in summary:
Electric efficiency >80% [My previous postings 80-85%]
Electric efficiency = electric -12% i.e. > 68% [My previous postings 65-72% depending on route, battery capacity etc.]
Diesel efficiency = 26% [My previous postings 25-28%, worth noting hybrid diesel-battery rafts on DMUs would increase this through reduced idle] Also worth nothing that Transport Scotland have gone for the full Well-to-Wheel analysis:smile:
Hydrogen efficiency < 30% [My previous postings 23-28%, one well known rolling stock manufacturer agrees with my numbers]

I suspect rather rarely I have rail traction, gas compression and high pressure hydrogen expertise though all separately.

I actually believe hydrogen is part of the long term solution, just that is is being over sold by some with vested interests currently and they are being believed by some. Grayling was certainly taken in...

Efficiency of the overall energy system (i.e. use less energy) is a key part of national all sector decarbonisation strategies but Hydrogen is comparatively inefficient for rail and is more efficient in other sectors such as natural gas grid substitution where HP compression is not required (big efficiency gain if used there instead) or high temperature chemical processes such as cement manufacture where electric heating doesn't cut it. The NIC is proposing taking such a directional approach to UK Hydrogen usage in it latest murmurings so UK rail should not expect huge hydrogen availability.

yours

Dr "HWL" BEng MEng CEng

supervc-10

Exactly what I was trying to say, thank you HWL for that info from Transport Scotland. My engineering knowledge is limited, but I do have a good understanding of the science and of the technologies involved.

I have never denied that hydrogen doesn't have its uses- my point has always been that it makes very little sense for transportation.

I do wonder if biodiesel is the way to 'decarbonise' these branch lines, if there isn't the impetus for electrification. However I do think that the most cost-effective way to reduce emissions from the railway at the moment is to hurry up with electrifying main lines. But that's a story for another thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.