• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alton - Farringdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblergt

I was interested to see if this journey could be made without paying for the tube fare by doing something like Alton - Waterloo - Waterloo East - London Bridge - Farringdon, which I think is ok, and there is a fare which costs £14.00 for a return (AON-ZFD, SCO 16-25), only slightly more than the return to Waterloo. I then wondered if I could change at Wimbledon to take a FCC directly there, while still using this fare (which might actually be useful). NRE seems to think I can when I force it to go via Tooting or something, but when I checked with the routing guide I don't think this is actually valid.

Is NRE just incorrect or am I missing something? Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
You can not go any further than City Thameslink on a London Terminals ticket as explained here at the end of the list of termini.

You can using a ticket to St Pancras for a few pence more or go to any zone 1 underground station using a ticket to zone U1* Londn.

The fare you found to ZFD (FARRINGDON UND) will be to; zone U1* Londn - I think.

Last edited:

noblergt

I was looking at the fares specifically to Farringdon, not London terminals. I've just realised however that a super off-peak return to Wimbledon and then the oyster fares is cheaper anyway so its a bit moot.

wintonian

Established Member
I was looking at the fares specifically to Farringdon, not London terminals. I've just realised however that a super off-peak return to Wimbledon and then the oyster fares is cheaper anyway so its a bit moot.

There is no fare to Farringdon from SWT land (outside of the suburbs at least) you need to use either the St Pancras fare or ticket to Zone 1.

noblergt

That is a fare to Farringdon underground station which I think will be issued as; zone U1* Londn (It's a while since I bought a ticket to zone 1), in other words a ticket to to any underground station in zone 1.

This is Farringdon Thameslink.

I can't find any fare that exists to "Farringdon Thameslink" from any station in the country.

If you use a trainline powered website for a journey like Alton to Farringdon for a day return (when super-off peak tickets are valid), and then click the "check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available" link and select the super-off peak return, it gives you a result that is much cheaper than a ticket to U1*, and I don't get the impression that it would be giving me a generic single tube journey. Instead it actually gives you national-rail only itineraries, which either use FCC all the way from Wimbledon, or ones that have you changing at Waterloo East and London Bridge, depending on the exact time of day.

The fare to ZFD is actually the exact same price as the one given to St Pancras (non-tube), so I guess it doesn't matter if I bought a ticket to STP or ZFD.

The reason I created this thread was because I am fairly sure that both of these tickets are not valid on FCC from Wimbledon according to the routing guide, and I couldn't understand why NRE would think it was ok.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
That is a fare to Farringdon underground station which I think will be issued as; zone U1* Londn
No, it's a different price to zone U1* Londn and it does not have an Underground Zone mentioned nor does it carry the "+" symbol. It is a railway ticket valid by any Permitted Route by rail between Alton and Farringdon.

The mileage would need to be checked with NRT, but it seems very likely to me that the route via Tooting is not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, and is therefore a Permitted Route.
Distance: 46mi 66ch
Alton, Bentley (Hants), Farnham, Aldershot, Ash Vale, Pirbright Junction, Brookwood, Woking Junction, Woking, West Byfleet, Byfleet & New Haw, Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames, Hersham, Esher, Hampton Court Junction, Surbiton, Berrylands, New Malden, Raynes Park, Wimbledon, Wimbledon Depot Staff Halt, Earlsfield, Clapham Junction, West London Junction, Queenstown Road (Battersea), Nine Elms Junction, Vauxhall, London Waterloo

Distance: 1mi 08ch
London Waterloo East, Metropolitan Junction, Borough Market Junction, London Bridge

Distance: 1mi 68ch
London Bridge, Borough Market Junction, Metropolitan Junction, Blackfriars Junction, London Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon (London)

Total Distance: 49mi 62ch
Alton, London Waterloo - (walk) - London Waterloo East, London Bridge, Farringdon (London)

Distance: 50mi 38ch
Alton, Bentley (Hants), Farnham, Aldershot, Ash Vale, Pirbright Junction, Brookwood, Woking Junction, Woking, West Byfleet, Byfleet & New Haw, Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames, Hersham, Esher, Hampton Court Junction, Surbiton, Berrylands, New Malden, Raynes Park, Wimbledon, Haydons Road, Tooting, Streatham South Junction, Streatham, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, Loughborough Junction, Elephant & Castle, London Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon (London)

http://mileage.railmiles.org/

noblergt

No, it's a different price to zone U1* Londn and it does not have an Underground Zone mentioned nor does it carry the "+" symbol. It is a railway ticket valid by any Permitted Route by rail between Alton and Farringdon.

The mileage would need to be checked with NRT, but it seems very likely to me that the route via Tooting is not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, and is therefore a Permitted Route.

Ah, completely forgot about the 3 mile rule, so thats all it probably was then. Thanks!

John @ home

Established Member
I think Alton - Tooting - Farringdon is actually the shortest route wholly by rail over which a passenger service operates.

RJ

Established Member
There is no fare to Farringdon from SWT land (outside of the suburbs at least) you need to use either the St Pancras fare or ticket to Zone 1.

The fare you found to ZFD (FARRINGDON UND) will be to; zone U1* Londn - I think.

Farringdon Und is a destination in its own right. I picked a few random stations like Southampton Central, Shepperton, Woking and Alton. They all have fares to Farringdon. What are you on about?

Last edited:

QJ

Warning.

I had occasion recently to use a Basingstoke to Saint Pancras ticket with the intention of walking between Waterloo and Waterloo East and picking up FCC at London Bridge.

Unfortunately in attempting to exit the platforms at Waterloo (having just arrived from Basingstoke) the gate swallowed my ticket. I had to persuade the customer assistant on the gateline to retrieve it for me. She was rather reluctant to do so. When I have a London terminals ticket to go to Charing Cross or London Bridge the gate spits out my ticket no problem.

On returning from Saint Pancras to Basingstoke I used FCC to Wimbledon to connect with SWT no problem. That is apart from the engineering work that sent the train from Tulse Hill to Wimbledon via Norwood Junction, West Croydon and Sutton. Took what felt like forever. :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Warning.

I had occasion recently to use a Basingstoke to Saint Pancras ticket with the intention of walking between Waterloo and Waterloo East and picking up FCC at London Bridge.

Unfortunately in attempting to exit the platforms at Waterloo (having just arrived from Basingstoke) the gate swallowed my ticket. I had to persuade the customer assistant on the gateline to retrieve it for me. She was rather reluctant to do so. When I have a London terminals ticket to go to Charing Cross or London Bridge the gate spits out my ticket no problem.

That is clearly an error. Did you complain to SWT, as the problem needs to be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.