• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amending keyGo activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
I put this here under "other post-travel ticketing issues".

Yesterday (4th Apr), I used keyGo for the first time. Not totally unexpectedly, the recorded activity does not match my travel. The website says "Amend before 13th Apr 2023", but I can't find where to make the appropriate amendments. Does anybody know where this can be found ? Also, is there a helpline (not the 20 day response time form) ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My main interest is finding a way to make amendments, but for anybody who wants to ponder what went wrong...

Entered at Stevenage, barrier was open (so no help as an indication of acceptance), first use of keyGo, so needed to be activated, multiple beeps, I was looking at the LCD text display so did not see the LEDs
Hence, tapped again and got a beep plus green LED , no activity recorded from either tap
(Travelled)
Exited at Hertford North, beep, green LED, barrier opened, recorded as Tap in

Later, entered at Hertford North, beep, green LED, barrier opened, recorded as Tap out
(Travelled)
Exited at Stevenage, beep, green LED, barrier opened, no activity recorded

Result:
Hertford North to Hertford Northjourney to same station£0.00

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KatieLouLou

Thanks, but I don't use Twitter

I put this here under "other post-travel ticketing issues".

Yesterday (4th Apr), I used keyGo for the first time. Not totally unexpectedly, the recorded activity does not match my travel. The website says "Amend before 13th Apr 2023", but I can't find where to make the appropriate amendments. Does anybody know where this can be found ? Also, is there a helpline (not the 20 day response time form) ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My main interest is finding a way to make amendments, but for anybody who wants to ponder what went wrong...

Entered at Stevenage, barrier was open (so no help as an indication of acceptance), first use of keyGo, so needed to be activated, multiple beeps, I was looking at the LCD text display so did not see the LEDs
Hence, tapped again and got a beep plus green LED , no activity recorded from either tap
(Travelled)

Later, entered at Hertford North, beep, green LED, barrier opened, recorded as Tap out
(Travelled)

Result:
Hertford North to Hertford Northjourney to same station£0.00
You should be able to amend in the journey history. There appears to be an issue with the gateline at Hertford North at the moment as I also had a tap in showing as a tap out at the weekend. Likewise the tap out at Stevenage wasn't recorded. As I was continuing the journey from SVG it got a bit clunky to amend as it assumed I had made a return journey, but amendment has gone through.

Agree that Twitter is the easiest method to address KeyGo issues.

Richardr

Are you registered on Thameslink's website? If so, it is straight forward to log in and go to key smartcard history and amend from there

Ediswan

Established Member
Are you registered on Thameslink's website? If so, it is straight forward to log in and go to key smartcard history and amend from there
Yes, registered. I have hovered a mouse all over the history/activity page. The only active spots I have found are the date scroll arrows, plus the ability to expand/collapse the day's activity. Where do you find the option to amend ?

keygo.png

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, registered. I have hovered a mouse all over the history/activity page. The only active spots I have found are the date scroll arrows, plus the ability to expand/collapse the day's activity. Where do you find the option to amend ?
I think the problem here is that as you do not have an incomplete journey, you do not get the option to correct it. I can't see any way of doing it on my own account but I don't have an incomplete journey either. I think the only option you have is to make contact with GTR through the website and try to get it sorted that way.

Ediswan

Established Member
I think the problem here is that as you do not have an incomplete journey, you do not get the option to correct it. I can't see any way of doing it on my own account but I don't have an incomplete journey either. I think the only option you have is to make contact with GTR through the website and try to get it sorted that way.
Thanks. I will wait a few days. Maybe one or more of the Stevenage taps will appear belatedly. At present, the error is in my favour.

Richardr

You are right there is no option - when I've used it it has been because of incomplete journeys.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have had multiple issues with KeyGo which appear to involve Finsbury Park. I am still waiting for a proper answer from GTR. In the meantime I am not using KeyGo as it appears to me to be unsatisfactory.

KatieLouLou

I have had multiple issues with KeyGo which appear to involve Finsbury Park. I am still waiting for a proper answer from GTR. In the meantime I am not using KeyGo as it appears to me to be unsatisfactory.
Presumably using standalone readers when transferring to/from Underground? The readers at the entrance to the spiral stairs down to the underground appear to be fine on every occasion I have used them - the ones at the bottom of the platform 1 and 2 stairs less so (and always have been unreliable - the advise when KeyGo was introduced was not to tap on those readers)...

Less of an issue now is platforms 7 and 8 where you had to tap out from Oyster at the top of the spiral staircase but then had to remember that there was a barrier line on those platforms to use to tap in for KeyGo. That gateline has now been removed following the introduction of gatelines at the station entrances. But yes, it's a mess!

MrJeeves

Established Member
I will quickly say that the past week or two, the touch history for keyGo has been iffy about showing all touches online the next day. Often, it will only show my morning's taps the next day, then update to show the remainder of my taps in the evening on the next day. Since it's already been two days for you I don't think this will be the case.

You cannot amend the type of tap (in/out) online. The Twitter team, in my experience, always tell me to call the Key team via the phone line for anything except the simplest issues. You can call the Key smartcard team on 0345 026 4700. Despite what the automated system will tell you, you likely won't even need to wait on hold longer than a minute.

You will need your Key smartcard number, full name, first line of address and post code to confirm your identity. You can then explain the situation. They will then forward all this information to the retail ticketing team who will manually update your journey history online. The retail team can take up to a week to fix the journey.

In the meantime, due to the new terms, you may be charged a penalty fare. This will be refunded after they amend the journey history. I am not sure whether this is refunded to your payment card or as a credit to your keyGo online account, but you can request to have your credit balance refunded at any time if you wish.

When both me and my friend first used keyGo, we did not need to touch multiple times to activate it, despite what the website said. I believe another friend also loaded keyGo to their smartcard via the GTR mobile apps, which I would recommend to anyone else for loading ITSO tickets generally, but I know this isn't a solution for everyone, of course.

(Travelled)

(Travelled)
In regards to your specific instance, I'm confused as to how the wrong tap was recorded. The gatelines know which way is entering and which way is exiting the compulsory ticket area, so tapping on the "in" side of a barrier reports only a touch "in" back to GTR.

I ran into this when the gateline was entry-only at Gatwick so I touched on the entry side of an open barrier and found my keyGo account recording an anomalous touch in at Gatwick and an auto-filled touch out at Gatwick, too.

At the moment, you only see the Hertford-Hertford "journey". This won't charge you as it's recorded as a same-station journey which is automatically zero-cost unlike how TfL charge for a tap-in and tap-out at the same station. Same-station journeys on keyGo always cause the day to me highlighted red as if there's an incomplete journey.

Since you travelled on Tues, you've missed the "next Weds" rule, as far as I am aware, to which you can query the keyGo fare. At this point, I'd just sit on it and enjoy the free travel from that day as the journey history can no longer be amended by my understanding.

I'm currently in the process of waiting for a response from GTR about how the recent delays in some tap data affects the "following Wednesday" rule, since if Tues PM tap data is populated on Weds evening or Thurs morning, it appears you have zero recourse for an incorrectly charged fare at the moment!

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
I will quickly say that the past week or two, the touch history for keyGo has been iffy about showing all touches online the next day. Often, it will only show my morning's taps the next day, then update to show the remainder of my taps in the evening on the next day. Since it's already been two days for you I don't think this will be the case.
I have reached the same conclusion.
In the meantime, due to the new terms, you may be charged a penalty fare.
Fortunately, no sign of that, no warning emails or unexpected card charges.
In regards to your specific instance, I'm confused as to how the wrong tap was recorded. The gatelines know which way is entering and which way is exiting the compulsory ticket area, so tapping on the "in" side of a barrier reports only a touch "in" back to GTR.
I definitely touched on the conventional side both times at Hertford North. The barriers were closed. There were staff present. Maybe the back-end logic prioritises location over direction when trying to assemble sensible journies.
At the moment, you only see the Hertford-Hertford "journey". This won't charge you as it's recorded as a same-station journey which is automatically zero-cost unlike how TfL charge for a tap-in and tap-out at the same station. Same-station journeys on keyGo always cause the day to me highlighted red as if there's an incomplete journey.
A potentially useful wrinkle (such as meeting somebody off a train). I did see the day was red, but thought nothing of it, no other keyGo days to compare to.
Since you travelled on Tues, you've missed the "next Weds" rule, as far as I am aware, to which you can query the keyGo fare. At this point, I'd just sit on it and enjoy the free travel from that day as the journey history can no longer be amended by my understanding.
The "Amend before" date I am shown is 13th April, a Thursday. Which is confusingly consistent with allowing amendments until a Wednesday. The implemented rule for calculating which Wednesday is less clear. I suspect there is an "but always at least N days" element.

MrJeeves

Established Member
The "Amend before" date I am shown is 13th April, a Thursday. Which is confusingly consistent with allowing amendments until a Wednesday. The implemented rule for calculating which Wednesday is less clear. I suspect there is an "but always at least N days" element.
Oh, very interesting to know! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Ediswan

Established Member
Update: A week later, the missing taps have still not appeared, so I called the number on the back of the card. Their initial advice was to amend using my account. When I stated that no such option is showing, they said (paraphrasing) that they are unable to make any changes to a 'private' account and I should submit a request via email (address provided) with a screenshot.

Email sent. Acknowledgement received. All boilerplate, no reference number.

On the bright side, a subsequent return journey, also from Stevenage, was all recorded correctly. I was pleased to see the resulting ticket type stated explicitly, not just the amount charged.

MrJeeves

Established Member
they said (paraphrasing) that they are unable to make any changes to a 'private' account and I should submit a request via email (address provided) with a screenshot.
No idea what they mean with that... Sounds like excuses to me...

Just heard back from Thameslink regarding the "following Wednesday" rule.

Good afternoon David, we've received a response from our Key team who advised that KeyGo takes a week as being from Monday to Sunday, and the deadline for amending is the Wednesday of the following week, so if you travel on a Monday or Tuesday you get over a week, but if you travel at the weekend time is shorter. If you believe an overcharge has occurred, the team recommend that you get in contact, and the team can investigate this and if a higher fare was charged incorrectly, the team can edit the fare, and the difference would be provided on KeyGo as credit. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

That seems to make sense. In a nutshell, it's the Wednesday in the next week after your journey. If you travel Sunday, it would be the coming Wednesday. If you travel Monday, it would be next week's Wednesday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.