• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Animals On Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve told a few people that, I know @hexagon789 has definitely heard the story, but I’d love to know if anyone has encountered this woman.
Has she ever cropped up again or has she finally gone into the future of the past or is it the past of the future? :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Has she ever cropped up again or has she finally gone into the future of the past or is it the past of the future? :lol:
What I always think about now, but never crossed my mind at the time, would be what if the cat had just made a dash for it at a station? It'd be gone almost definitely.

WibbleWobble

Definitely not on seats - it is an absolute pet hate (no pun intended) or mine, especially as both myself and my daughter are allergic to dogs (and cats myself). We've both had bad reactions before now because of fur and dander on seats.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What I always think about now, but never crossed my mind at the time, would be what if the cat had just made a dash for it at a station? It'd be gone almost definitely.
Would that have been a necessarily bad thing?

I thought the cat wasn't a fan of you? :E

19Gnasher69

What a very odd post.
Not really in the context of many of the posts in this discussion, which are predicated on the idea that all dogs are dangerous, dirty, shed fur, etc. thereby rendering them unacceptable on public transport.
In effect the original question has simply flushed out personal prejudices. Which we Brits seem unable to keep to ourselves these days, whilst letting others get on with their lives.

JamieL

I have no problem with dogs on trains, subject to them sitting on the floor and there being sufficient space, but do think the railway misses a revenue opportunity - there should be a charge.

London Trains

Last time I said on this forum that pets should be banned on trains, I was completely ripped apart, but I'll reiterate here that I think all pets should be blanketly banned across all public transport. My experience of dogs on trains (and buses too) is that about 95% of them were either sitting on seats, sleeping in the aisle or walking up and down the carriage.

Purple Train

Established Member
Six or seven years ago, I was in a West End show for which the first two weeks of rehearsals took place daily near to South Bermondsey, before we moved into the theatre itself and this required me to take the Southern service via London Bridge.

Twice, I encountered an elderly woman in a maroon shawl who was telling people she was a fortune teller, and she had a little cat in a carrier that she took out and it sat down and clawed at the astroturf seat covering on the 455. She patted it while telling the man opposite about his star signs, and then I distinctly remember when she got off, she put the cat back in the carrier and said to it “We’ve done well Stiffany, the past is now the future.”

I’ve told a few people that, I know @hexagon789 has definitely heard the story, but I’d love to know if anyone has encountered this woman.
That's brilliant! :lol: As soon as I read your post, I could have sworn blind that I had heard that phrase before, but a quick Google later and it seems I must be mistaken. That would make an awesome premise for a film actually.
I do personally think just mind your own business. The train has the guard for that. Don’t take rule enforcement into your own hands, it’s so unnecessary, and especially poor when you don’t even know the policy yourself apparently.
What if it is on my local line (or indeed countless others) where there is no guard? Should I be stupid enough to bother the driver? Or should I just let the owner actively break bye-laws? I'm not "suggesting that all dogs are dangerous, dirty, shed fur, etc.", but they're not exactly going to leave the seat polished and perfumed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That's brilliant! :lol: As soon as I read your post, I could have sworn blind that I had heard that phrase before, but a quick Google later and it seems I must be mistaken.
You have, it’s a profile post of mine from a while back ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 37

GardenRail

On the floor for two reasons -

1. Hygiene
2. It's against the NRCoT and you can't reserve a seat for an animal anyway.

They used to charge a seat cleaning fee if an animal occupied a seat against the rules; does any TOC still do that?
Hygiene.... On my local line, dogs are probably more hygienic than the actual human passengers..... Just saying.
Sooner have dogs than grotty children sucking the windows and pressing their greasy head and hands against the windows, screaming and shouting, or playing on a tablet without headphones.

Last time I said on this forum that pets should be banned on trains, I was completely ripped apart, but I'll reiterate here that I think all pets should be blanketly banned across all public transport. My experience of dogs on trains (and buses too) is that about 95% of them were either sitting on seats, sleeping in the aisle or walking up and down the carriage.
But scruffy, snotty, food covered, shouting kids are ok.....? Give me dogs any time.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Not really in the context of many of the posts in this discussion, which are predicated on the idea that all dogs are dangerous, dirty, shed fur, etc. thereby rendering them unacceptable on public transport.
In effect the original question has simply flushed out personal prejudices. Which we Brits seem unable to keep to ourselves these days, whilst letting others get on with their lives.

I’d say the opposite - it seems to be impossible to do anything without someone imposing their self in some irritating and silly way.

Frankly I get sick of going out for a walk or run local to me and finding there’s a high chance that at some point a dog is going to come running up and jumping, or the owner allows their dog to run off and their lead to become a trip hazard. So if this is the level of ignorance exhibited in open spaces, then I can likewise imagine the same applies on trains.

As an aside, I find it curious that we are supposed to have a “cost of living crisis”, yet people manage to keep dogs, which are essentially a luxury good.

Trackman

Established Member
I have no problem with dogs on trains, subject to them sitting on the floor and there being sufficient space...
I've seen many very well behaved dogs on trains sat on the floor.. in fact never seen a badly behaved one.

gabrielhj07

Hygiene.... On my local line, dogs are probably more hygienic than the actual human passengers..... Just saying.
Sooner have dogs than grotty children sucking the windows and pressing their greasy head and hands against the windows, screaming and shouting, or playing on a tablet without headphones.

But scruffy, snotty, food covered, shouting kids are ok.....? Give me dogs any time.
I'd much rather have dogs than irritating children.

Stuff like this makes me question that view though:

Attachments

• tinywow_IMG_1317_37005709.jpg
    tinywow_IMG_1317_37005709.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95

Falcon1200

Established Member
The only problem I can recall ever having with dogs on trains was on a preserved line, where an ignorant old guy had his huge beast lying across the gangway, forcing people to step over it; He made no effort whatsoever to move the dog, and it would have been cruel and unfair to intentionally step on the animal (not to mention unwise, given its size....). Otherwise, live and let live.

Howardh

Established Member
Kinda agree with the sentiment but impractical as public transport could be the only way of getting a loved pet to the vets. However, not on seats, either on the floor or in a box.

Wonder though if ever a cat has decided to board a train or tube for a snooze on the seats?

4COR

I've seen a pet rabbit (boxed) on its way from London to North Wales.
I've once sat opposite a student who was working in a vet placement, who had decided to adopt an orphan lamb and take it from her placement in the Cotswolds down to her house in London using GWR. It sat very happily in a box on the seat next to her for the whole journey. :lol: Takes all sorts I suppose. Not sure whether she had told her parents or not...

19Gnasher69

I can’t believe that 95% of dogs on trains are on seats, in the aisle or marauding around the carriage but, even if they are, the sample size must be small - I’d imagine that well over 95% of passengers travel without dogs.
I’ve only ever seen them laying in the aisle but it’s not exactly a catastrophe is it? I just step over them, usually prompting a polite apology from the owner, but a simple ‘Excuse me’ would work too. Just the same as when people have their legs stretched across the aisle, are standing in the aisle or sitting ‘side-saddle’ talking to companions, have luggage alongside them. As they say, worse things happen at sea.

ExRes

Established Member
it seems to be impossible to do anything without someone imposing their self in some irritating and silly way.

As an aside, I find it curious that we are supposed to have a “cost of living crisis”, yet people manage to keep dogs, which are essentially a luxury good.

I agree totally with your first point but I really don't think the second holds water, if the 'cost of living crisis' and 'a luxury good' covers pet ownership then where do taking kids to school in Range Rovers and BMWs, queues of people in over priced coffee outlets, everyone with smartphones and the constant drone of Easy Jet planes heading for the med etc come? We often dogsit for our daughter because she has to spend more hours than wanted to keep her business profitable, the dogs had become 'socially unfriendly' because they spent a lot of time on their own, because of that we wouldn't dream of taking them on public transport or imposing their over enthusiasm on other people, maybe if the majority of people were less selfish in general and didn't force their preferences on others we would all be a lot better off for it

SLC001

We own 2 golden retrievers and help to raise guide dog puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind. The blind and partially sighted are still treated appallingly by people who do not recognise their role in helping those less fortunate than themselves. These dogs are well trained but even at 6 months are quite capable of settling under someone's feet or indeed partly under a seat. There are also many people for whom dogs are a great help, assistance dogs. People who do not have such obvious disabilities. The right dogs can be trained and are of no threat to those who dislike them or have a dog phobia. The idea of banning dogs is absurd and punishes those with disabilities - obvious and not so obvious and discriminatory.
I recognise that not everyone likes dogs, have allergies and phobias and that the default position must be to keep dogs away from other people as best you can. So with training and selection of the right breed, proper consideration of other people and thoughtfulness they can mix on trains and public transport.
However, looking after dogs, exercising them, training them is vital and too many people do not do this. They choose breeds that have a poor reputation and buy through dubious sources and then abrogate their responsibilities. But their behaviour should not and must not stop responsible dog owners from going about their daily lives and we should not bow to those who frankly do not give a damn about others.
Earlier this year the Schnauzer Dog Owners group decided that they would organise a mass walk up Dovedale from the Car Park. It was a crass idea and totally irresponsible as 150 Schnauzers were walk up the narrow dale on slippery, narrow paths yapping away at everyone coming down. Imagine meeting a naturally "aggressive" dog every minute or so walking in the opposite direction. Furthermore it was the nesting season and besides there are clear notices requiring that dogs are kept on a lead. Well over half the dogs were off the lead. It says a lot about dog owners and the thoughtlessness and lack of consideration of both them and the "Group" that organised it but it reflects how many dog owners do not give a fig about the impact their dog might have on others.(The NT were not impressed and their will be no repeat occurrence but how you prevent it I do not know! Isn't that the crux of the problem? We need enforcement but we will not get it and so the problems of society will continue.
To those that dislike dogs I would say keep away from them just as you would an anti-social person and accept that the dog may just be doing a lifechanging role for someone less fortunate than yourself.
And dogs should never be allowed on seats.

devon_belle

My experience of dogs on trains (and buses too) is that about 95% of them were either sitting on seats, sleeping in the aisle or walking up and down the carriage.
Or producing smelly gases from their rear ends!

% on seats is much lower than 95 in my experience.

ExRes

Established Member
We own 2 golden retrievers and help to raise guide dog puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind. The blind and partially sighted are still treated appallingly by people who do not recognise their role in helping those less fortunate than themselves. These dogs are well trained but even at 6 months are quite capable of settling under someone's feet or indeed partly under a seat. There are also many people for whom dogs are a great help, assistance dogs. People who do not have such obvious disabilities. The right dogs can be trained and are of no threat to those who dislike them or have a dog phobia. The idea of banning dogs is absurd and punishes those with disabilities - obvious and not so obvious and discriminatory.
I recognise that not everyone likes dogs, have allergies and phobias and that the default position must be to keep dogs away from other people as best you can. So with training and selection of the right breed, proper consideration of other people and thoughtfulness they can mix on trains and public transport.
However, looking after dogs, exercising them, training them is vital and too many people do not do this. They choose breeds that have a poor reputation and buy through dubious sources and then abrogate their responsibilities. But their behaviour should not and must not stop responsible dog owners from going about their daily lives and we should not bow to those who frankly do not give a damn about others.
Earlier this year the Schnauzer Dog Owners group decided that they would organise a mass walk up Dovedale from the Car Park. It was a crass idea and totally irresponsible as 150 Schnauzers were walk up the narrow dale on slippery, narrow paths yapping away at everyone coming down. Imagine meeting a naturally "aggressive" dog every minute or so walking in the opposite direction. Furthermore it was the nesting season and besides there are clear notices requiring that dogs are kept on a lead. Well over half the dogs were off the lead. It says a lot about dog owners and the thoughtlessness and lack of consideration of both them and the "Group" that organised it but it reflects how many dog owners do not give a fig about the impact their dog might have on others.(The NT were not impressed and their will be no repeat occurrence but how you prevent it I do not know! Isn't that the crux of the problem? We need enforcement but we will not get it and so the problems of society will continue.
To those that dislike dogs I would say keep away from them just as you would an anti-social person and accept that the dog may just be doing a lifechanging role for someone less fortunate than yourself.
And dogs should never be allowed on seats.

Excellent post, I find it interesting that this thread seems to be running alongside the 'Antisocial behaviour on trains' one

devon_belle

Wouldn't dream to suggest the blanket banning of service/support dogs.

Robin Edwards

Two things spring to mind :
Animal Rescue centres and dog pounds are working at capacity where many pets are abandoned or owners can't afford to feed them any longer.
Not all people are identically affected by the "cost of living crisis" as you seem to infer they are or should?

bramling

Veteran Member
if the 'cost of living crisis' and 'a luxury good' covers pet ownership then where do taking kids to school in Range Rovers and BMWs, queues of people in over priced coffee outlets, everyone with smartphones and the constant drone of Easy Jet planes heading for the med etc come?

To be honest I’d include those in the same box.

We often dogsit for our daughter because she has to spend more hours than wanted to keep her business profitable, the dogs had become 'socially unfriendly' because they spent a lot of time on their own, because of that we wouldn't dream of taking them on public transport or imposing their over enthusiasm on other people,

I’ve had dogs in the past (more by accident than by design, as I took on two Rottweilers and a German shepherd that a relative was no longer able to keep). Whilst I loved them to bits, they were both a tie and an expense - I’m not short of money by any measure but once the dogs reached old age the vets bills became insane. I just don’t get the obsession with dogs, especially those who went out and bought them as part of the Covid fad.

Personally whilst on occasions it would have been convenient to take my three with me to places, I wouldn’t do it out of consideration for others. Indeed I went out and bought an estate car specifically for the purpose. The only time mine ever went on a train was a couple of very short 5-minute journeys locally simply to make walks easier. That was on 365s and I wouldn’t have dreamed of taking the dogs any further into the saloon than the vestibules.

maybe if the majority of people were less selfish in general and didn't force their preferences on others we would all be a lot better off for it

Agreed.

al78

Established Member
Unpopular opinion... I've generally found that people who don't like animals are not to be trusted. I understand when the person is allergic or scared of them, but to not like them for no other reason than not liking them I find very telling. This has been proven true anecdotally time and time again in my experience.
Strawman. We are talking specifically about dogs on trains here, not a dislike of animals overall. I like animals but I am not fond of dogs, however I will tolerate them and occasionally I come across one that is cute and adorable. What I don't appreciate is thoughtless dog owners that have conversations across paths completely blocking them, or when their dog charges towards me and they try to call it back with a pathetic wimpy voice that gets zero response from the dog, and don't get me started on people who think bagging up their dog's waste then hanging it from a tree is a reasonable thing to do. In these examples the dog is the symptom, the owner is the problem.

And plenty of people, e.g. me, like dogs but don't own one as it wouldn't be practical for their lifestyle. Didn't know ownership was that high though!
I'm surprised it isn't higher. Here in Horsham it feels like nearly everyone has a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.