• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual Season Ticket from Redhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
I'm about to buy my annual Travelcard from Redhill to London All-zones. I travel via the underground and buses a lot so need a Travelcard portion.

As usual I've done a bit of research on the Redhill Fare which comes out at £3,352. After a bit of trial and error I found a ticket from Dorking All Stations to London All-zones via Redhill for £3,244 a saving of £108. When I come to add the ticket the "Via Redhill" bit drops so I am concerned that it isn't really via Redhill so won't be able to use as my daily ticket from Redhill.

Can anyone confirm it is a safe ticket for my daily journey from Redhill?

If it is would I be able to use it via Epsom as well? That could be useful with all the cuts to Redhill services to be able to travel round that way as well.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The £3244 ticket is routed Any Permitted, not Via Redhill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In addition to the shortest route and through trains, permitted routes are shown in the Routeing Guide.

As you can see from the yellow pages (page 501), Dorking Group - London Group is shown as valid on maps DK and SC. You can view the maps here: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

As your ticket is a Travelcard, there is likely to be additional validity to boundary zone stations, as appropriate for the journey being made, this will be shown in booking engines/journey planners, where the journey can be made to London All Zones on one ticket. I also suggest printing these off (use the website of the relevant Train Company e.g. Southern) as applicable.

The contract allows you to use routes that are permitted for the duration of the ticket, but it can be tricky to obtain evidence of validity if the validity changes (accidentally or deliberately!), so I always would advise documenting evidence and retaining it for future reference, if required.

Minstral25

Established Member
Thank you - although I am totally confused.

How can I type into the Southern Mixing Desk - "Dorking all stations" and then add "via Redhill" to "London All-zone Travelcard" does it provide the £3,244 any permitted ticket and show trains you can catch "via Redhill" but not actually be a valid ticket?

Is that an error in the Southern system or whatever provide the backend information?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm confused as to what the £3352 ticket could be: I can't get it to show.

Southern's website does indeed show via Redhill to be valid with the Any Permitted ticket. Additionally, my opinion is that it is certainly valid for trains which call at East Croydon, as the shortest route Dorking Deepdene - East Croydon is via Redhill.

Minstral25

Established Member
I'm confused as to what the £3352 ticket could be: I can't get it to show.

Southern's website does indeed show via Redhill to be valid with the Any Permitted ticket. Additionally, my opinion is that it is certainly valid for trains which call at East Croydon, as the shortest route Dorking Deepdene - East Croydon is via Redhill.

The £3,352 is my normal ticket from Redhill to All-Zones not from Dorking. I'm trying to save myself money.

Glad you can see the route via Redhill too - Means I'm not totally mad

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As your ticket is a Travelcard, there is additional validity to boundary zone stations, as appropriate for the journey being made.

As booking engines/journey planners show a Travelcard as an option, print the itinerary as this forms evidence of validity.

Validity of a Dorking to All Zones Travelcard when travelling to East Croydon is valid via Redhill because it is the Shortest route, but it's also valid anyway because it's a route permitted by booking engines. Once at East Croydon, you're then within the Zones, so you may make an unlimited amount of journeys within the Zones.

I agree with Lexyboy that the train would need to call at East Croydon.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Unless it's a Gatwick Express service which doesn't normally call at Redhill, all trains from Redhill call at East Croydon.

Minstral25

Established Member
thanks for the info - I'm going to risk it - got better places to spend £100

kkgbd2223

Hello, I saw this thread and had the same question about ticket validity from Dorking to London via Redhill - as I also have a season ticket I thought was valid on this route.

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the current version of the Routeing Guide shows tickets Dorking to London Terminals "Any Permitted" as being valid only via maps DK and SC both of which are via Leatherhead only.

However, the Routeing Guide dated July 2013 shows the ticket Dorking Group to London Group "Any Permitted" as being valid by maps CS+LB which is via Redhill in addition to DK and SC. Therefore, the validity via Redhill was removed at some point after July 2013.

The fare Dorking to London is controlled by South West Trains, I have taken steps to challenge the removal of the route validity via maps CS+LB as I believe this route would have been allowed under British Rail's "Any reasonable route" policy and I don't believe South West Trains have permission from the DfT to remove the route CS+LB. This change currently means there are no fares available from Dorking to London via Redhill which is an obvious route to take, so I suspect this is a mistake.

SWT had a "customer forum" today at Waterloo where I've brought this up with their management team. Will update once I hear more.

Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello,

I've now received confirmation from SWT that the tickets "Dorking Group" to "London" "Any Permitted" including Travelcards are valid via Redhill. It is indeed a mistake in the Routeing Guide that the validity via Redhill was removed. SWT have stated they've updated the Routeing Guide so I guess the update will appear on ATOC's website shortly.

Hope that helps

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wonder if removing the restriction via Redhill from Shalford was also a mistake. A friend noticed it but he didn't pursue it that far as it didn't affect him that much he decided.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hello, I saw this thread and had the same question about ticket validity from Dorking to London via Redhill - as I also have a season ticket I thought was valid on this route.

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the current version of the Routeing Guide shows tickets Dorking to London Terminals "Any Permitted" as being valid only via maps DK and SC both of which are via Leatherhead only.

However, the Routeing Guide dated July 2013 shows the ticket Dorking Group to London Group "Any Permitted" as being valid by maps CS+LB which is via Redhill in addition to DK and SC. Therefore, the validity via Redhill was removed at some point after July 2013.

The fare Dorking to London is controlled by South West Trains, I have taken steps to challenge the removal of the route validity via maps CS+LB as I believe this route would have been allowed under British Rail's "Any reasonable route" policy and I don't believe South West Trains have permission from the DfT to remove the route CS+LB. This change currently means there are no fares available from Dorking to London via Redhill which is an obvious route to take, so I suspect this is a mistake.

SWT had a "customer forum" today at Waterloo where I've brought this up with their management team. Will update once I hear more.

Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello,

I've now received confirmation from SWT that the tickets "Dorking Group" to "London" "Any Permitted" including Travelcards are valid via Redhill. It is indeed a mistake in the Routeing Guide that the validity via Redhill was removed. SWT have stated they've updated the Routeing Guide so I guess the update will appear on ATOC's website shortly.

Hope that helps

If the journey is valid because it's the shortest route then it doesn't matter which maps are permitted. I'm not sure what you mean about there being no fares available? I have no trouble getting a routeing from Dorking to London via Redhill (I've used the East Coast website).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Just heard from my friend that he finally had a response from South West Trains after quiet some months. As reported above, it's an error which South West Trains are correcting, regarding the routing.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just heard from my friend that he finally had a response from South West Trains after quiet some months. As reported above, it's an error which South West Trains are correcting, regarding the routing.

But if (as I've already pointed out) it's allowed because it's the shortest route does anything need changing? Again, I'm having no problem getting journey planners to give routes via Redhill (should it allow the Not via Guildford ticket?).

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
It is always better to have a route mapped than having to rely on the shortest route rule. For a simple Dorking - London journey it is OK, but if you are making a cross-London journey you may not always be using the shortest route.

eg
Dorking - Redhill - London - Stoke - Manchester (OK - shortest route)
Dorking - Redhill - London - Crewe - Manchester (not allowed as more than 3 miles longer)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It is always better to have a route mapped than having to rely on the shortest route rule. For a simple Dorking - London journey it is OK, but if you are making a cross-London journey you may not always be using the shortest route.

eg
Dorking - Redhill - London - Stoke - Manchester (OK - shortest route)
Dorking - Redhill - London - Crewe - Manchester (not allowed as more than 3 miles longer)

That hadn't occured to me - I was only looking at the journeys the posters have been wanting to make - of course it's a special case going via London as in other cases you'd get a set of maps suitable for your whole journey if going further afield.

Status
Not open for further replies.