• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Avanti Voyagers booked to Glasgow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

APT618S

Not sure what is offically booked but Realtime Trains will show you train formations and for today and the last 2 days a pair of Voyagers (221s) has worked
1S52 1010 EUS (Euston) which arrives at GLC (Glasgow Central) at 1516. This then forms 1M16, the 1540 GLC-EUS.
This appears to be the only one in passenger service but there is an ECS from Edinburgh to Polmadie which goes via GLC , arr 0014, dep 0021
See:
This is for 13/04/21 and shows all the Avanti trains into GLC.
The 9 and 11 car trains are 390s. The 10 cars are Voyagers.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
No, and yes.

Not officially in the current timetable, nor that which applies from May to September. They do in the ‘normal’ timetable, which might apply from September.

However they have been appearing on one diagram (1S52 / 1M16) for the last week at least. Presumably to keep crew competent. The southbound train is consistently late as a result.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The Voyagers have been working up and down on 1S52/1M16 for at least a month now. This presumably retains competancy for the Glasgow drivers and train managers due to there being no Birmingham service.

Scotrail12

As others have said above, double Voyagers on the 1540 out of Glasgow. I've seen it a few times now.

Had a poor experience last time on the Pendolino so I might actually take the Voyager to London if it's still on that diagram in May.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As others have said above, double Voyagers on the 1540 out of Glasgow. I've seen it a few times now.

Had a poor experience last time on the Pendolino so I might actually take the Voyager to London if it's still on that diagram in May.

Expect to be late.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't get why it's not using voyager timings if it ends up late all the time.

At a guess, because it then couldn’t be pathed. So depending on the circumstances of the day (weather, loading, driving style) it will be a little late or a lot late. But the crew keep their competence.

Triumph

Voyagers have been working 1S52/1M16 since 18/01/21 - not something that has changed recently.
This diagram will end on 14th May, after which time the only voyagers north of Crewe (SX) on the mainline will be 1P38/9P85/9S93/9M48/9M52/9M61
With the introduction of more Birmingham services, they will be used on those services. In fact, the new diagrams are exactly the same as the diagrams that should have operated from December until May.

Scotrail12

Voyagers have been working 1S52/1M16 since 18/01/21 - not something that has changed recently.
This diagram will end on 14th May, after which time the only voyagers north of Crewe (SX) on the mainline will be 1P38/9P85/9S93/9M48/9M52/9M61
With the introduction of more Birmingham services, they will be used on those services. In fact, the new diagrams are exactly the same as the diagrams that should have operated from December until May.
If I'm right in thinking, that leaves no Voyagers in Glasgow, only to Edinburgh.

Triumph

If I'm right in thinking, that leaves no Voyagers in Glasgow, only to Edinburgh.
Correct only the ECS working on 5S93 goes into GLC SX & SUN however, there is a passenger working on Saturdays on 9S85 1543 EUS-GLC

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is that just because they're DMU's and can't keep up?
And by extension, is the northbound run padded out a little more, which means this doesn't happen?
They can shift pretty well, though a 390 probably has an edge at higher speeds and in hill climbing. Then you have the locations with lower 221 EPS speeds which will cost some time as well.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is that just because they're DMU's and can't keep up?
And by extension, is the northbound run padded out a little more, which means this doesn't happen?

My educated guess is as follows:

The train currently leaves in the Chester path, and needs to ‘lose’ 20 minutes by Preston. It does this by stopping additionally at Crewe, extended dwell times at a couple of stations, and some pathing time. This gives it plenty of time to catch up any delay caused by the slower running / acceleration of the 221 compared to the Pendolino. When it’s north of Preston there is very little crossing in front of it until the Glasgow suburbs, so the delay it incurs through slower running there will not be compounded on itself.

Southbound, it’s in it’s normal path with not ‘extra’ time to lose. If it runs late by Preston (which it usually does) , other services start getting in the way, and this causes it to run later still, and miss it’s next slot, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.