• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any ex-Police here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,
New to the forum so thought I’d introduce myself. Been reading with interest about people posting here about changing careers and joining the railway etc.

I’m curently a police officer and looking at moving over to the railway. I have just applied to First Great Western for their 2019/2020 talent pool for Penzance/Exeter.

Just wondering if their any ex police here who have made the jump and what your experiences have been of leaving ‘the job’ and if you would recommend the jump?

Thanks,
TR

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnlh

I'm currently still in the job. I know a few who have left my department and joined various different TOCs and seem to be getting on ok.

I'm going through the process with DB Cargo at the moment. I've completed the first two stages, just waiting for my DMI.

Where are you based?

I did 12 years in Kent before transferring to Dorset 2 years ago. After 14 years I’m just sick to death of it. Been authorised to go for my board in the new year and been doing a lot of A/PS stuff but not sure it’s for me anymore.

I have just passed the SJT and alphanumeric tests. Assuming FGW will papersift my application now?

TR

OneLowban

There are 2 ex-police on my course and both seem to believe they have made the right decision.

Also many times in the 2 months since I started I’ve heard different people say “we get a lot of ex-police/emergency services/forces come over to the railway” so I guess it can’t be a bad move.

Fiesta89

I'm currently still in the job. I know a few who have left my department and joined various different TOCs and seem to be getting on ok.

I'm going through the process with DB Cargo at the moment. I've completed the first two stages, just waiting for my DMI.

Where are you based?

Same here John.. in the job and waiting for DMI. .which depot you apply to work?

johnlh

Same here John.. in the job and waiting for DMI. .which depot you apply to work?

Barking. What about you mate?

When did you do your stage 2? I done mine last Thursday so I'm patiently waiting for more details!

Fiesta89

Ive put in for Westbury.. did my stage 2 assessments on Tuesday 4th.. so been advised to sit tight for DMI now.

To keep it on topic.. 1494 id have no hesitation leaving the job for trainee driver although initial pay cut.. long run be worth it.. i think!

I always fancied being a driver and always said if FGW recruited for trainee drivers I would apply. I wouldn’t apply for any other TOC other than Southwestern as I don’t want to move out of the Westcountry again.

This is all new to me so I’m still getting my head around the assessment process.

My application is in, I’ve done the SJT and alphanumeric test. Is the DMI next? Is that done on the telephone?

TR

johnlh

I think all TOCs do it slightly differently. Some add extra tests/assessments, some require enhanced pass marks. Some do the DMI before the MMI etc Someone who has applied for FGW may be able to help.

Trico382

Did 11 years including acting up final year before I left and I can say without any doubt, that it is arguably the best decision I have ever made! From the updates I get off my ex colleagues it has got even worse and there is lots looking to jump ship. My advice would be go for it. You will find lots of ex job on the railway

Just left the met as a pc to start as a trainee driver with the Crossrail. Interestingly met hr are currently running a pilot scheme whereby they are phoning officers who are resigning/moving to another force to find out reasons for the decision. Spoke to a very nice bloke at HR who himself had done his 30 as a PC so knew himself how much the job had changed. He told me I was the 3rd person he had spoken to in a row that day who had left to join the Crossrail as a driver and had now lost count of how many were leaving for driving jobs on the railway.

AlexandraT

Left the Met in July and I am currently training with Southeastern. I absolutely love it and I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a new challenge, a lot to learn but I think it's worth it. I already feel the difference. I am less tired, the stress level is really low and self induced (only exists because I am learning something new and I don't like to make silly mistakes), I have a lot more time to spend with my loved ones and to do what I like. The job itself is absolutely fine and lacks the excitement of a shift on response, which is exactly what I wanted :D

GLENMAYE77

I’m 16yrs as a civvie in the Control Room.....awaiting my DMI results and passed all the assessments for Freightliner.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
My application is in, I’ve done the SJT and alphanumeric test. Is the DMI next? Is that done on the telephone?

TR
No.

You will have a phone interview, assessments, MMI then DMI.

smithyLP

I have just started with MTR after leaving the met! 3 ex job on my course, not one regret from any of us. So nice to be appreciated and earn a decent wage. If your contemplating it, then 10000% do it!

purplejonesy

I only had a relatively short amount of time in, 5 years, but coming over to the railway was the right choice.
There are loads of ex job over here it's rediculose

Crazyb

There were 5 in the mess room a few months back........I put 2 laxatives in the 2 ex traffic cops cups of tea....lol

They reckon, its the best move they have done, especially the railway pension......And don't forget, you only work around just over 6 months a year.

Daydr3am3r

Hi all,
New to the forum so thought I’d introduce myself. Been reading with interest about people posting here about changing careers and joining the railway etc.

I’m curently a police officer and looking at moving over to the railway. I have just applied to First Great Western for their 2019/2020 talent pool for Penzance/Exeter.

Just wondering if their any ex police here who have made the jump and what your experiences have been of leaving ‘the job’ and if you would recommend the jump?

Thanks,
TR

Any news on your application?

Mekiz79

I'm currently a serving officer with Essex just over 10 yrs. I've passed all the assessments and DMI for Crossrail and just waiting for a start date now.
Can't wait to leave the Police having been dragged through and IOPC investigation for 2 years, just for doing my job! Also, the risk, responsibility and working conditions are simply not proportionate to the salary for the role.
Good luck to you all in the future within the train industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.