• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any news about the Chiltern Power-door Mk3s yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
I'm sure that it's been mentioned that the Power door Mk3s were due early 2012.

Any sign of them yet, or even pictures of a rake?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cj_1985

ISTR someone posting on here late 2011 or very early this year that the first rake wouldn't be getting released from Wabtec Doncaster untill sometime in March...

but i could be getting different things mixed up

oversteer

In testing next month, so hopefully passenger service end March/early April - according to a recent Chiltern twitter session

Adam_Harrison

These ones?
5857481411_8c3ee21e99.jpg

oversteer

Wow, that window is certainly different.

Is the door wider than the existing slam door? The central locking light seems to have been moved further down the carriage.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the door's moved along a bit- the slam doors are "wrap around" at the end, whilst that clearly has the button between the door and carriage end (presumably they open towards the centre of the coach as on the mark 4)

MK Tom

Established Member
Are they still wearing the silver livery? I thought Chiltern was going to come up with its own main line livery? Something more than silver with a bit of branding.

WillPS

Established Member
Call me stupid if you like - but wouldn't it have been sensible to take the newer Irish Mk3 bodyshells with power doors already in place, swap the bogies with those from the UK's Mk3s then scrap the old bodys?

Or were the Irish doors not suitable for 2020 DDA or something?

dk1

Veteran Member
Call me stupid if you like - but wouldn't it have been sensible to take the newer Irish Mk3 bodyshells with power doors already in place, swap the bogies with those from the UK's Mk3s then scrap the old bodys?

Or were the Irish doors not suitable for 2020 DDA or something?

Alhough good the IE power doors where very primitive. The revolving pole would restrict width & not comply.

These doors are apparantly very similar to those fitted to SWTs 444 fleet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I think when the truth comes out it will be found that the Irish Mk 3's general condition meant they were beyond economical refurbishment to modern standards.

Despite all the web chatter there doesn't ever seem to have been any realistic interest in taking them on - which tells its own story really...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Alhough good the IE power doors where very primitive. The revolving pole would restrict width & not comply.

Does that mean the 442s don't comply with whatever your thinking of either?

Last edited:

RPM

Established Member
Are they still wearing the silver livery? I thought Chiltern was going to come up with its own main line livery? Something more than silver with a bit of branding.

That was the original plan before Wrexham & Shropshire folded. Now Chiltern have inherited a fleet of newly painted silver coaches so the plan is now to persist with the silver livery.

dk1

Veteran Member
Does that mean the 442s don't comply with whatever your thinking of either?

Whats thinking got to do with anything. Access width into & around the coach is the DDA issue hence the MK3 modifications for use beyond the deadline.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Whats thinking got to do with anything. Access width into & around the coach is the DDA issue hence the MK3 modifications for use beyond the deadline.

...and that's what I'm really asking.

Do you think the same problem applies to the 442s? If so will they need their automatic doors modifying?

dk1

Veteran Member
...and that's what I'm really asking.

Do you think the same problem applies to the 442s? If so will they need their automatic doors modifying?

Possibly. Heard nothing about 442s. Perhaps they will withdrawn after this latest stay of execution. Would seem a shame & a waste.

jones_bangor

ISTR someone posting on here late 2011 or very early this year that the first rake wouldn't be getting released from Wabtec Doncaster untill sometime in March...

but i could be getting different things mixed up

What happens to the ex-WSMR stock in March?

cj_1985

What happens to the ex-WSMR stock in March?

AIUI from posts made here in late 2011, and on other forums, the stock already in use with Chiltern will be sent to Wabtec for the rebuild/door fitment set by set...

so no real change beyond the "rebuild"... but im sure a chiltern employee could be more specific about the plan

dubscottie

I think when the truth comes out it will be found that the Irish Mk 3's general condition meant they were beyond economical refurbishment to modern standards.

Despite all the web chatter there doesn't ever seem to have been any realistic interest in taking them on - which tells its own story really...

It would be no harder to refurbish an Irish Mk3 than a UK one.. They are almost the same underneath the plastic interior.

Even after storage I bet the bodies of the Irish stock have less corrosion than the UK versions.

Irish doors for comparison..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowan826/4104958735/in/pool-939630@N23/

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
It would be no harder to refurbish an Irish Mk3 than a UK one.. They are almost the same underneath the plastic interior.

Even after storage I bet the bodies of the Irish stock have less corrosion than the UK versions.

Irish doors for comparison..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowan826/4104958735/in/pool-939630@N23/

They also have a completely different electrical system which would need to be stripped out and replaced. The Irish train supply is not the same as that used in the UK (they use Generator vans rather then take power from the locomotive)

RobShipway

Established Member
Possibly. Heard nothing about 442s. Perhaps they will withdrawn after this latest stay of execution. Would seem a shame & a waste.

Would it not be possible to do the same with the Mk3 class 442 coaches as has been done with the Chiltern Mk3 coaches?

CP165

Just thought I'd mention that at about midday today whilst on a 165 passing Wembley Depot I saw a 67+DVT set. The DVT was the one with diesel generator fitted stabled there. Is it in passenger traffic yet?

dubscottie

Any source for that 'fact'?

The "fact" is that any new parts for a internal UK Mk3 refurb would fit an Irish one. They are the same body after all, all the mounting points are the same etc..

Sure the Irish buffets were built using the same jigs as the UK ones in Derby alongside the last Sleepers and the first Mk3B's.

As for the electrics, most recent Mk3 refurbs have involved a strip out and full rewire anyway..

RPM

Established Member
Just thought I'd mention that at about midday today whilst on a 165 passing Wembley Depot I saw a 67+DVT set. The DVT was the one with diesel generator fitted stabled there. Is it in passenger traffic yet?

82301 and 82304 both gen-fitted and in service but gens not yet in use pending staff training.

t_star2001uk

We had the gen set on 82304 running on the depot yesterday. Thats the first time ive evere heard one running. They are in fact very quiet.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
82302 is at Brush at the moment having the gen set fitted leaving 82303 as the only original one in the Chiltrrn fleet....

jopsuk

Veteran Member
isn't "very quiet" one of the design requirements of them? So it's good that they, er, are?

starrymarkb

Established Member
For most people yes. But one of the requirements for the MTU programme was noise reduction and you know how that went down with some parts of the enthusiast community.

Status
Not open for further replies.