• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any news about the Chiltern Power-door Mk3s yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Maybe London Overground shoudl take over operation of the local services between London Marylebone and West Ruislip/Gerrads cross when the class 172's are displaced from the Gospel oak - Barking line.

They local stations between West Ruislip and Marylebone have been crying out for a much better improved service and the class 172's with their top speed of 100mph and faster acceleration should easily be able to keep out of the way of express services to High Wycombe, Birmingham etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had a look at one of the silver loco hauled sets at Moor Street last night at 18:45 after it had arrived from London. While at the Hawthorns photographing the trams 67012 passed heading towards Kidderminster.

I forgot about that service since I could have gone for a ride on it to Stourbridge junction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HWLad

I think the 100mph trait of the 172 only exists on Chiltern and London Midland examples, I'm not quite sure but I believe London Overground 172s are limited to 75mph.

D365

Veteran Member
I think the 100mph trait of the 172 only exists on Chiltern and London Midland examples, I'm not quite sure but I believe London Overground 172s are limited to 75mph.

Only a matter of gearing.

If that was ever the case. With the multitude of inaccuracies throughout Wikipedia, one can never be sure. Any minor modifications of this sort shouldn't be too difficult anyway.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member

172004 had a notice in its cab stating a top speed of 100mph when I photographed it at Willesdon Junction on 5th August

HWLad

172004 had a notice in its cab stating a top speed of 100mph when I photographed it at Willesdon Junction on 5th August

Wikipedia lies then! :D Or has been changed since I last read it, it would be believable the a line as short as GOBLIN would have stock that is 75mph but similarly it makes sense to standardise the production run to 100mph.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wikipedia lies then! :D Or has been changed since I last read it, it would be believable the a line as short as GOBLIN would have stock that is 75mph but similarly it makes sense to standardise the production run to 100mph.

…or the page hasn't been updated. ;)

HWLad

…or the page hasn't been updated. ;)

It has, I just haven't been. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But anyway, that just means the 172/0s need to be fitted with ATP and they're good to go.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Maybe London Overground shoudl take over operation of the local services between London Marylebone and West Ruislip/Gerrads cross when the class 172's are displaced from the Gospel oak - Barking line.

They local stations between West Ruislip and Marylebone have been crying out for a much better improved service and the class 172's with their top speed of 100mph and faster acceleration should easily be able to keep out of the way of express services to High Wycombe, Birmingham etc.

Works nicely with just the one TOC thanks, last thing you need is a squabble over paths at the southern end.

HWLad

I wouldn't say introducing additional local services to West Ruislip would be as easy as just getting nippy rolling stock though, either with London Overground or Chiltern. The Chilterns Mainline would require more passing loops for any increase in this service which is certainly difficult and expensive to do inside the M25 zone.

NickBucks

The nature of Chiltern railways diagramming would mean that some 172's would have to run over the Amersham LUL line but I understand that they cannot do this at present. Could this be easily fixed ?

MCR247

Established Member
I don't think so as its because of the type of bogies they use, but I don't know if they weren't fitted with tripcocks because it wasn't possible/it was prohibitively expensive or if it was seen as pointless as it would be easy enough for such a small fleet to avoid that line

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If Watford Triangle junction to Rickmansworth had been four-tracked when the rest of the Met mainline was, there would have been a strong possibility that Amersham and Chesham might not have been electrified and served instead entirely from Marylebone- which would today mean no NR trains running on LU signalling.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't think so as its because of the type of bogies they use, but I don't know if they weren't fitted with tripcocks because it wasn't possible/it was prohibitively expensive or if it was seen as pointless as it would be easy enough for such a small fleet to avoid that line

It is indeed down to the Voyager-type bogies I think. As a result the Chiltern 172s are barred from the route via Amersham (unless sandwiched between 168s).

RPM

Established Member
It is indeed down to the Voyager-type bogies I think. As a result the Chiltern 172s are barred from the route via Amersham (unless sandwiched between 168s).

Sandwiched between 165s; 168s are too long to do that (max 6 car formation over the Met).
Not aware that this has actually been attempted yet, unless anyone knows better?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sandwiched between 165s; 168s are too long to do that (max 6 car formation over the Met).
Not aware that this has actually been attempted yet, unless anyone knows better?

Ah. I wasn't sure which it was, but assumed that interworking would be easier between 168s and 172s than between the older 165s and 172s. It might well be, but clearly only on the Chiltern Mainline rather than the 'Met' route.

RPM

Established Member
Ah. I wasn't sure which it was, but assumed that interworking would be easier between 168s and 172s than between the older 165s and 172s. It might well be, but clearly only on the Chiltern Mainline rather than the 'Met' route.

Doesn't really make any difference. There are some mixed 165/172 workings on Wycombe line locals. They do also tend to get used with 168s to strengthen weekend Birmingham workings.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
As far as I am aware there is one more set still to come.
When that is in service then 168s will be sent off for a minor refurbishment. I believe the interior will be getting new carpets and having reupholstered seats in a colour scheme to match the interior of the Mk3 sets. I've heard something about them (the 168s) getting new vinyls too.

168219 is currently at Loughborough Brush as the first train to be in for this refurbishment.

Went on 168215 two weeks ago from Birmingham and I couldn't believe it when there were automated announcements (same as LM really)for each stop. I didn't think the 168s had this feature. Be interesting if the 168s came out in silver.

Last edited:

RPM

Established Member
They're meant to be supressed on Mainline services but there are a few rogue CIS codes that still produce auto announcements, particularly on up services.
Not seen schematic for new livery but the word is it is a blend of mainline silver and standard chiltern blue/white.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I quite like that. More interested in seeing what they have done to the interior though.

524487_10151830020981348_2124349233_n.jpg

Same seat fabric as the mark 3s, and magazine nets on the backs of the seats like a plane :P

Adam :D

Looking good! Just to say but those magazine nets were there before.

RPM

Established Member
I quite like the new livery, but I think it would have been even better if the light silver continued all along the unit instead of fading to white. That would require some redesign of the contrasting door treatment, but nothing insurmountable.

Surprised at the light blue grab rails in the interior - I was expecting maroon.

Status
Not open for further replies.