In order to update the forum software, this afternoon from 13.00 some members may find that for short periods the forum is unavailable. Please ensure that you have made any posts before this time as any unsent messages may be lost.

any reasonable route

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by ess, 21 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ess

ess Member

When did any reasonable route disappear as a concept? What did reasonable mean?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

With the birth of ATOC & Rail Settlement Plan AIUI, in order to prevent arguments over routeing by TOCs who feel they don't receive enough ORCATS revenue to be carrying passengers on particular routes, and to safeguard allowed routes at the time of privatisation.

I don't think "reasonable" was defined - being one of the reasons it went, as there was no definitive ruling to refer to if there was a dispute.

4. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

On National Rail, in 1996 when the first version of the National Routeing Guide received interim approval from the Rail Regulator. The concept still exists on London Underground.
    Something close to "routes allowed by local instructions". The generosity or otherwise appears to have varied quite widely. Prior to the introduction of a zonal system, London Underground were rather ungenerous. For example, I am told that Parsons Green - Angel via Edgware Road was not regarded as a reasonable route.

5. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Ouch! Looking at a geographical map of London Underground I'd have said that that was quite reasonable. I wonder which way they expected you to go? District/Picadilly/Northern (via Kings Cross) perhaps? I hope you weren't forced to go via Monument/Bank.

6. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

Via Leicester Square or Warren Street, I think.

7. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Wow - that really seems rather archaic.

It would probably be my first choice, as I prefer to avoid the labyrinthine Monument/Bank complex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.