• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone trying to avoid Xmas songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
On topic, Im with anyone who wants to avoid frothmas, me and the Wife both hate it.

I generally feel the same. I think Christmas is a bit like Kim Jong-Il's birthday. I don't really want to celebrate it, yet I always feel forced to do so (albeit fewer guns are involved with the enforcement of Christmas merriment).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I generally feel the same. I think Christmas is a bit like Kim Jong-Il's birthday. I don't really want to celebrate it, yet I always feel forced to do so (albeit fewer guns are involved with the enforcement of Christmas merriment).

I like this analogy. The enforced sociality of the season if exhausting and stressful for me and it's certainly not a time of good cheer and to rub salt into the world the whole thing is based upon false pretences anyway

Blindtraveler

Established Member
So you kept that quiet - "Blindtraveller Blackburn" :p

Do you have "smiley miley" with you on the road and your own jingles ?

Seriously do you still play slow ones at the end (christmas or other):p

Yes, as a rule I do finish up with a few slowies, again it depends on the audience. One gig this year sticks out as the acception to that, where it actually got faster and faster as the night wore on.

I do indeed have a suite of modern jingles and bookers can have custom ones done for as little as 8 pounds more, handy for corprat doos, weddings etc where the bride and grooms names will be included in the voiceover.

As my disability prevents me from driving I do take someone on the road, in the shape of a driver/roady, my 2 regular ones are both Asians who work very hard and are very dear friends also.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If it wernt both dangerous and illegal Id have retribution in plenty.

Going back to the discos, I used to have much fun at the end of the season using the xmas cds as frisbies and other fun but as im now all mp3 I havnt yet taken to chucking harddrives around the place.

fowler9

Established Member

Ha ha ha. Love it. Nothing more I can say to that. :D
Yes, as a rule I do finish up with a few slowies, again it depends on the audience. One gig this year sticks out as the acception to that, where it actually got faster and faster as the night wore on.

I do indeed have a suite of modern jingles and bookers can have custom ones done for as little as 8 pounds more, handy for corprat doos, weddings etc where the bride and grooms names will be included in the voiceover.

As my disability prevents me from driving I do take someone on the road, in the shape of a driver/roady, my 2 regular ones are both Asians who work very hard and are very dear friends also.

If it wernt both dangerous and illegal Id have retribution in plenty.

Going back to the discos, I used to have much fun at the end of the season using the xmas cds as frisbies and other fun but as im now all mp3 I havnt yet taken to chucking harddrives around the place.

Ha ha. Wow, didn't realise you were a DJ mate. Bet you have had some interesting experiences aside from the CD frisbies. Ha ha. :D

J-2739

Established Member
This is true for me as well.

Yessss, people who agree with me! :)
As far as I'm concerned you're allowed to have an opinion on anything but that doesn't mean to say that you are right. :D

I don't think the word Xmas has anything to do with popular culture; :D I might have just turned 50 but I still have more than a grasp of popular culture :D

Very sorry! Wasn't trying to call you old fashioned!! :D

I can kinda see why you can't stand the word 'Xmas' though, now. Current day trend of simplifying things, much?

backontrack

Established Member
When my partner was alive, the last 5 Christmas's we would go carol singing in a small village called Burnsall, she loved Xmas and as an added attraction we always ended up in the Red Lion afterwards ! Now she's gone, I avoid most thing's Christmas, particularly the songs (Greg Lake excepted), just not the same, so the sooner its over the better

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

(And Howardh, you're a legend.)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My wife is a Sikh and yet has no problem with the word Christmas or indeed wishing people a merry / happy Christmas. If people don't wish to send a card with the word Christmas on it then why bother to send a card at all? In all honesty I think the word Xmas is used because people are simply too lazy to spell out Christmas.

I agree that the true meaning of Christmas is often forgotten about but I don't think that is an excuse to start writing "Happy Xmas" in cards. If someone sent me a Happy Holidays card I'd assume that they were taking the ****.

It might have been in use for 400 years but it still sounds cheap and nasty. It essentially say's that the person writing it can't be bothered, in which case they can't be bothered to do a lot of things in life. 'Can't be bothered' is something that lets our country down all the time.

As far as I'm concerned you're allowed to have an opinion on anything but that doesn't mean to say that you are right. :D

I don't think the word Xmas has anything to do with popular culture; :D I might have just turned 50 but I still have more than a grasp of popular culture :D

Personally I love the festive season and the break from work as well as the chance to visit my family. Yet as a confirmed heathern, it feels a little hypocritical to go on about Christmas with all of it's religious connotations, whereas I feel more comfortable with Xmas as there is a certain detachment (without going down the full "winterval" route, which seems wrong).

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Very sorry! Wasn't trying to call you old fashioned!! :D

I can kinda see why you can't stand the word 'Xmas' though, now.

Not liking the word Xmas has nothing to do with my age. Here's an example; several months a go at work an email was sent to everyone asking where we would like to go for our Christmas lunch. The email was sent by a young lady in her early 20's and was titled Christmas Lunch as opposed to Xmas Lunch.
Current day trend of simplifying things, much?

Right you'll have to help me out here as I don't have my adolescent phrase book to hand.

J-2739

Established Member
Not liking the word Xmas has nothing to do with my age. Here's an example; several months a go at work an email was sent to everyone asking where we would like to go for our Christmas lunch. The email was sent by a young lady in her early 20's and was titled Christmas Lunch as opposed to Xmas Lunch.

I wasn't trying to suggest that!!!

Right you'll have to help me out here as I don't have my adolescent phrase book to hand.

It's like saying 'Are you' or 'is it'. For example, saying "Jealous, much?" Means, "Are you really that jealous?"

Really sorry for giving you a lesson on this though. :oops:

krus_aragon

Established Member
I was over at the in-laws this evening. Their regular radio station has switched to Christmas jingles. :(

At least it's only one evening a week...

Howardh

Established Member
Well, I think it's safe to merge blinking into the daylight. Did pretty well, caught out on a couple of occasions, one was Tesco where they don't normally play musak and the other was, of all places, Maplins electronics.

But overall A-minus.

SS4

Established Member
Success! Having a good pair of earphones and spotify made is easier than expected

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well, I think it's safe to merge blinking into the daylight. Did pretty well, caught out on a couple of occasions, one was Tesco where they don't normally play musak and the other was, of all places, Maplins electronics.

But overall A-minus.

Well done!

All we need now is for someone to post a youtube video of some Christmas song or something, with a misleading explanation that leads you to think it's something about railways, so you'll click on it, and then you'll be down to a B+. ;)

Talking of which, I wonder if you've seen this interesting discussion of employment in the transport industry?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well I did well this year, my last Xmas disco was just after the 25th and they prefered 60s classics to Xmas tunes so thats now me til just after 5th November now. I hope this thread isnt locked so we can all share our 2017 experiences.

krus_aragon

Established Member
All we need now is for someone to post a youtube video of some Christmas song or something, with a misleading explanation that leads you to think it's something about railways, so you'll click on it, and then you'll be down to a B+. ;)

I think you'll find this link is a double whammy. :D

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Siblings - no; I'm the only one
Day care, yes, but it has to be paid for and despite the good work of the carer's I've seen it's for emergencies only (say if dad has to go to hospital - he broke his hip in April so mum had to have care whilst that sorted itself out). I can get out, there's a care firm that will come and sit in for four hours in the evening - - for the thick end of £60!!

As for Xmas - does anyone not write Charing X as Charing X??!!! <D

I'd also like to express my admiration for you. I'm now of an age where the body doesn't always work as used to be the case, and I do get worried about forgetting things, names, etc. My wife is slightly younger but has serious health issues, we have no children and are by no means rich, although we do own our home. I try not to think too hard about the future tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.