• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for Job with Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
There's currently a conductor job based at Buxton.
(Application form here)

I'd just like some tips on what to say on the application form and stuff. Like in the boxes where it asks about personal development, skills and all that business.

I have the revelant GCSEs, colour vision and other requirements, but I'm not yet 18. I turn 18 in mid December. Reckon it's still worth a shot?

Cheers to Mintona for letting me know about this!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LilLoaf

There no harm in giving it ago, if you don't get it this time they will keep you CV / application form on file.

Please note that up in Newcastle most conductors start as Revenue protection then onto conductor its very rare to go straight to conductor straight away. Not sure they have revenue protection at Buxton so a start in ticket office might be best.

Good luck with it thought. oh and remember to fill in all boxes of the application form.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. We don't have revenue around here I don't think.

This is the first time that I've seen a job based at Buxton (I can't work anywhere else as it's a 30min travel limit) at all. Ideally, I think I would have gone for a ticket clerk first, just to get into things, but yeah.

xc170

Gizmogle, i too want a job on the railway but I am only 17 aswell and i can tell you that you wont get that possition until your 18, although do apply as it will show them your keen to work for them. Good luck,

Adam

LilLoaf

If gizmogle (great name by the way ), does get job, might be 18 by the time the training course is finished.

westcoaster

Established Member
i knew there was a person going through driver training and was only 20, but was 21 by the time it came to practical handling and driving, if you dont try you dont get , go for it there is no harm in trying.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Use the boxes to promote your strengths and achievements, and tailor what you say about them towards the relevance to the job.

P156KWJ

Established Member
great opportunity, go for it, rare to be put in for conductor straightaway as said. Then you can become driver hopefully when you're 21!

Mintona

Established Member
As you are 18 during the training process, if they like you enough then there is every chance of getting in, as long as they like you. Tell them what you think they want to hear. "Big yourself up" - just say all the things that you are good at (eg. reliability etc.) and what you aren't so good at, mention it and say how you are trying to improve. Say that you'd enjoy the shift work that is involved, and don't mind working lots of long days. Mention that you are very passionate about working for Northern, try and include some company info on the form, though that is more useful at interview stage. Say that if you're given the chance, they won't regret it.

It isn't honestly all that rare to be put into conductor straightaway - many people around these parts have gone in via platform/booking office staff, but many more have gone straight into the job (I've learn these things just by chatting to the conductors).

As you live in Buxton, you're ideally situated, and that can only work to your advantage. I was gonna go for it myself, then realised I actually live about 40mins from Buxton, so it isn't really worth it.

And if they do say no, ask why not. The most obvious thing will be your age, though as you are 18 in about a month's time that shouldn't matter too much. Just ask for feedback. And I will let you know when it comes up again ;)

Craig

Established Member
I know someone who's recently gone through Northern's recruitment process for a driving job, I'll ask him if he has any tips.

Perhaps if you get an interview you could take along your coverage map and mileage? Maybe not... :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
I applied for the SWT guard position in July time aged 17 (two months before my 18th) and have been given a start date for just over three weeks time so it's definitely possible.

I say got for it!

Last edited:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Cheers for all the replies.

I've started filling the form in at college. It's a beast of a form!

Is there anything that I really shouldn't put on the form? For example, I've heard that it's bad to mention that you're an enthusiast, but okay to state your knowledge of routes and stuff.

westcoaster

Established Member
thats correct dont mention about being an enthusiast/ photography, because it goes against you, say you are more than happy to work shifts starting at all times off the day and night , but make sure you can get to work if you require public transport, having a knowledge of the routes they serve is also good. good luck.

Craig

Established Member
For example, I've heard that it's bad to mention that you're an enthusiast, but okay to state your knowledge of routes and stuff.

I'd probably avoid that altogether. I guess you could mention you have an interest in travelling by train as you have a priv because of your dad working in the industry. That might be better saved for the interview though.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. Fortunately, I'm only a 25 minute walk away from the station, so that's fine. If I send it in and get an interview, then I'll be learning more about the routes, though I know the basics already.

332 > 444

Nah dont put that you are an enthusiast, BUT you can state that you have a good knowlegde of transport and how it can benefit the company. Main thing is they wanna see your customer service skills and will ask you competency based questions based on ________________ (the questions are in the app. form) Best thing to use for that is the STAR technique:

Situation or Task - Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event.
Task - what you (and only YOU) had to do
Action - Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did.
Result - What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?

DONT exaggerate too much as they shoot bare questions at you and throw you off balance (TfL done that to me a couple of times)

Also below the competency based questions it notes:

Northern Rail believes their employees should demonstrate the following essential requirements

Look at what they are and incorporate them in your answers.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Darandio

Established Member
Don't worry about the being 18 part, from past experience it can be nearly 4 weeks before you are even selected for the first interview/selection event.
Competencies are the hardest part of the application form, a lot of points are scored on this section.
As for the threads which have said that most conductors progress from the ticket office, not true, plenty of conductors up this way have gone straight into the job.
Gizzy, I will also send you a PM.

valentaman

Is there a online version cos I might apply if I get a no from London Midland !

If not don't matter just curious as to what northens application form systems are

Thanks gang

valentaman

cheers chaps for that most usful am not applying for this job but helps for futre reference etc

adc82140

Established Member
FWIW:

Find something completely unrelated to the job but interesting to write about yourself- it'll set you apart from the rest- the panel will want to interview you just to ask you more.

In the words of one of my ex-University professors "when applying for a job, if you are catcher in a trapeze act, mention it- they'll want to interview you just to see if you have arms that are six feet long"

Good luck.

ADC

Craig

Established Member
I know someone who's recently gone through Northern's recruitment process for a driving job, I'll ask him if he has any tips.

He does, but it's a bit much to post here apparently. Give me a shout next time I'm on MSN.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Put an emphasis on customer service, they are also big on safety and following of rules and regs so if you can demonstate where you have used all of these fantastic. They will want to know you can deal with situations safely and with a good degree of customer service. I've applied for a conductors job at ATW and placed emphasis on these factors in the form and I've got an assessment later this month :)

Gizmogle

Established Member
I've now applied.

I'd like to thank of of you who gave advise and pointers. Especially Coxster and Darandio who sent rather large PMs. It was all extremely helpful and has really helped me fill in those competency forms.

Hopefully I should be hearing for Northern withing the next week or so!

Thank you everyone!

Mintona

Established Member
A week? Not sure about that. Give them a month.

I have also applied, for other locations.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
Took 4 months for Merseyrail to get back to me... same parent company, probably same sort of timescale...

Darandio

Established Member
Your welcome Gizzy, don't get too downhearted if you don't hear straight back, I had to wait 27 days for any news, and yes I was counting. :)

LilLoaf

I wouldn't mention any hobby involving the railways at all. Just say you like dealing with people and sorting out problems.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes. I mentioned some voluntary work with the Little Red Train, which involved dealing with people and stuff. Also my work placement at Man Picc.

I've never had a real job before :oops: This is hopeless isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.