• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for Job with Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Okay. I've never had a job. At all.

I've done various work placements and volunteered with the LRT, but that's it.

driver9000

Established Member
I mentioned my interests in the railways, although my interest is in the operational, technical and historical side of the railway and Ive never seen the appeal of writing numbers down.

Good luck with you application Gizmogle, please remember railway recruiting departments are notoriously slow - there were guys on my course who had waited over a year to start on the course! If you've not heard anything within a couple of weeks of the closing date, there is no harm in contacting the recruiting people (they are lovely)

Gizmogle

Established Member
"INITIAL INTERVIEWS ARE TO TAKE PLACE ON 24TH AND 25TH NOVEMBER 2008. OTHER INTERVIEW DATES WILL BE ARRANGED IN DUE COURSE."

Shouldn't be too much waiting then...

Coxster

Established Member
"INITIAL INTERVIEWS ARE TO TAKE PLACE ON 24TH AND 25TH NOVEMBER 2008. OTHER INTERVIEW DATES WILL BE ARRANGED IN DUE COURSE."

Shouldn't be too much waiting then...
If of course they can fit you in on one of those two dates....

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, in previous experiences for myself, dates can be put back at very short notice, even when you have already been given an initial interview date.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah right, okay. Will they be contacting me before those dates anyway though?

Darandio

Established Member
Ah right, okay. Will they be contacting me before those dates anyway though?

Not necessarily, thats why you shouldn't put your head down if you hear nothing for a while. The initial inteview dates for the position I went for were 14 days after the applications closed. It was then very nearly another 2 weeks after that when I got an initial interview. I was beside myself, thinking the worst but it goes to show, they must be busy and cannot always guarantee to interview when they say they will.

Lucky63

I applied for booking office retail supervisor with northern in january aged 19 (was 20 in feb), training started in May that lasted 5 weeks which involved tickets, railcards, first aid, accounting, disabled peoples protection policies etc, 1st shift at the beginning of July with keyholder responsibilites at single manned station (also i am the youngest booking office clerk in the west operating area for northern). Ive always wanted to be a guard or driver so i thought that i would get my foot in the door and work my way up. After 6 months in the job i no longer want to be a guard as i love it in the booking office and you can earn as much as a guard if you have a sunday in the roster. I personally know a chap who went from a guard to booking office and earned more in his 1st year off trains. Hope you find this an interesting story, it was aimed mainly at Gizmogle....consider booking office mate.

Mintona

Established Member
Blimey, no one replies to me.

Massive congratulations to you Gizzy. I'm off to work now, but I will give you tips and stuff tomorrow if you like.

Gizmogle

Established Member
:D :D :D

Question 1: Where's North Block, Long Stay Car Park, Man Picc?

Question 2: Why does the letter say I'm Mr Shauna Lowe?

P156KWJ

Established Member
an interview in a car park? okay :lol: congrats on that, hope you get the position, then maybe you could get me cheap fares? ;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
Lol, well I think I know where it is, but I just want confirmation. It says go to reception first, which I assume is the main station reception, yes?

And yes, laugh it up!

Jordy

Established Member
You're going to go far when you don't know where to go.

How is she supposed to know where "North Block, Long Stay Car Park, Man Picc" is :?

I'd take a guess that its out where 'NCP' is shown on this map

The reception is that little booth thing with the Simsig screen AFAIK ;)

Good luck!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah. I've been to the reception at Picc before :)

Shauna can hardly contain herself at the moment lol

EDIT: I'm almost certain that I was Miss Shauna Lowe in the application! I think I'd notice if I just magically had a sex change like that. I hope they're not expecting a man lol

SUPER EDIT: Any tips on how to do well in the interview? I just had a mock type interview at college today, which went really well, and have a more formal one tomorrow. (What a coincidence!) So I get some practice before Monday.)
People have said that I should know things about the company. Anything specific that they like to hear? I know that they like the phrase "rail industry" lol.

Last edited:

valentaman

many congratulations gizmogle you heard back before i have come on London midland its been 3 weeks! not even a thanks no thanks

advice guys much appreciated

congrats giz you get that job your the one for it in my humble opinion

Coxster

Established Member
Hope you don't get it [the job] for ages yet though - otherwise I won't be the forum's youngest guard for very long! <(

Obviously I'm lying - great news and good luck! :lol:

(13 days to go! 8-))

driver9000

Established Member
Congratulations!!!! If your not sure where to go, phone HR prior to the day, they wont hold it against you for not knowing where to go, or go the information desk on Piccadilly station.

Safety is a good buzz word for the railway, if its anything like my interview (driver) a few years ago there will be two people conducting the interview - one might be the Guards manager for the depot, one will ask you the questions and the other will write down your answers and they scored it on a scale of 1 - 5. Be confident, take any certificates you have you feel relevant, dress smart, read up on Northerns values (they are on the careers part of the website) research the role you are going for and dont be afraid to ask them questions about the role either. An interest in railways wont hinder you just as long as you dont come across like you'd be distrated by the trains when you are working.

Good luck with your interview, I hope you get in

me123

Established Member
Congratulations, Shauna!!! :D:D:D

I would probably tell them about the gender thing, though.

Craig

Established Member
Congratulations :D

SUPER MENTAL HELLFIRE EDIT: Any tips on how to do well in the interview? I just had a mock type interview at college today, which went really well, and have a more formal one tomorrow. (What a coincidence!) So I get some practice before Monday.)
People have said that I should know things about the company. Anything specific that they like to hear? I know that they like the phrase "rail industry" lol.

Get onto Jono again, I'm sure the guard interview will be similar to the drivers one.

me123

Established Member
Their mistake is quite reasonable; according to http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/ this website, there's at least one male person called Shauna in the US(!)

Of course, even more worrying, 0.25% of all Amercian Roberts are in fact female :shock:

First class

Established Member
Good look, there will be 2 managers. Basically common sense answers, structured questions. You will also get asked how you would act in various scanarios....

Mintona

Established Member
Might be an idea to ask, you dont want to miss out! :lol:

I know, I'm gonna phone the roster guy tomorrow. I'm not the only one who has it though, and they're all for different people on different days. I should be RD H, just not sure what the 18 is for :lol:

AlexS

Established Member
Nah, from what I've heard Northern Rail are better than a lot of companies in the rail sector HR wise, so you should get some contact.

Experience with other companies however says that you won't always get a response if you aren't successful - I believe ATW for example states that only successful applicants will be contacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.