• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice Train Driver - Crosscountry - Multiple Locations (09/02/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ant2knee

Evening.
Did anyone on the thread sit their OPC tests in July last year?
if so have you heard anything else? I passed the tests on the 27 July and my last contact was a phone call asking that I be patient due to the pandemic.
I’m wondering if any other recruits from that application has received anything further?
Cheers.

JoeEcco

Tomorrow is 4 weeks after I received my ‘we’ll be in touch in 2 to 4 weeks’ email. Not looking very likely now! But we can live in hope

L.M_DannyC

Just to put my thoughts into this. I had an interview with XC on Thursday for the Qualified Driver, Birmingham role they advertised just before putting the trainee roles up. So things are moving and it really is a waiting game, patience is a virtue.
The main recruitment person is indeed working from home and bare in mind no doubt thousands of people will have applied for the trainee roles.

PickleTree

Just to put my thoughts into this. I had an interview with XC on Thursday for the Qualified Driver, Birmingham role they advertised just before putting the trainee roles up. So things are moving and it really is a waiting game, patience is a virtue.
The main recruitment person is indeed working from home and bare in mind no doubt thousands of people will have applied for the trainee roles.
Totally agree railway recruitment is unlike any other and patience becomes the norm, you get used to timescales slipping etc. I never thought they would actually be able to meet their aspirational start dates of May and a June when you consider the backlog from other recruitment drives, the vast number of new applicants and the ongoing challenge of COVID. I have confidence things will happen eventually but I am not expecting it to be quick.

Glawsrfc

I don’t understand the question you were asked. Were they asking you which of the stakeholders you can be held accountable by?
Yep

You couldn’t relate anything from being a HGV driver to being a train driver?
Like adhering to traffic law? Being under pressure to deliver on time without breaking said traffic laws? Ever been held up in traffic and had to change plans?....
You failed your interview right?
And as for the Stakeholder thing, it’s a perfectly reasonable question. Would Network rail not be a Stakeholder that could be affected by your performance?
Yes I failed the interview...I could relate plenty to train driver and did...regards safety,long hours,adhering to specific instructions etc passed that with flying colours...it was a couple of the other questions that were a bit left field that I couldn’t use my HGV experience or didn’t relate to train driver role enough that I didn’t pass on.
Thanks for giving me some more examples to work into my answers though.

Last edited:

JH9

Yep

it was a couple of the other questions that were a bit left field that I couldn’t use my HGV experience or didn’t relate to train driver role enough that I didn’t pass on.
Hi Glawsrfc,

I hope you don't mind a couple of additional questions, I know you've had a few!

- For the stakeholder Q, were they referring to stakeholders you are accountable to in your current job, or stakeholders you 'would' be accountable to as a TD?

- You mention there were a couple of questions that were a bit left field. Would you feel comfortable sharing these? Absolutely no problem if not, there is no obligation to help the rest of us out of course :)

Cheers!

912-t100

My application changed today from application in process to “end of process” I haven’t had an email to make me aware, I understand that I haven’t made it any further but does anyone know how I am able to get some feedback?
Regards

Last edited:

Eebbs1912

My application changed today from application in process to “end of process” I haven’t had an email to make me aware, I understand that I haven’t made it any further but does anyone know how I am able to get some feedback?
Regards

still showing in process on mine

JLX5

yes a friends application says the same so I know mine has ended, I just wondered why... so I was hoping to get some feedback. Even though they are snowed under

also is one of my two lives gone?
Your 'lives' are only used if you fail any psychometric testing.

Eebbs1912

yes a friends application says the same so I know mine has ended, I just wondered why... so I was hoping to get some feedback. Even though they are snowed under

also is one of my two lives gone?
You can apply for as many jobs as you like, the two lives is only for the psychometric testing and mmi.

Demx93

Regards
I’m not sure you’ll get feed back from such an early stage, i might be wrong though..

912-t100

I’m not sure you’ll get feed back from such an early stage, i might be wrong though..

it would be good to know if I’ve been dismissed due to distance from the station for example. As there wouldn’t be any point in me applying again.

I’m hopeful it’s something simple as
I’m not really sure at this stage why I wouldn’t progress any further.

Established Member
it would be good to know if I’ve been dismissed due to distance from the station for example. As there wouldn’t be any point in me applying again.

It could be anything and it is extremely unlikely that you'll get any form of feedback.

Glawsrfc

Hi Glawsrfc,

I hope you don't mind a couple of additional questions, I know you've had a few!

- For the stakeholder Q, were they referring to stakeholders you are accountable to in your current job, or stakeholders you 'would' be accountable to as a TD?

- You mention there were a couple of questions that were a bit left field. Would you feel comfortable sharing these? Absolutely no problem if not, there is no obligation to help the rest of us out of course :)

Cheers!
Will try to remember all the questions and update sometime this week

I can’t even log in to the website to see if I’m still in process

Got on to website eventually...still in process

Last edited:
Same for me, I'm still in progress. Think it might be because I only sent my application on the Closing day and there's a lot to get through.

However my I pad didn't show me the "attach covering letter" option so I only sent my CV, therefore, after reading this thread, I'm not expecting a positive outcome.

I passed everything for Commercial Guard with SWR over a year ago and was waiting for a start date before COVID reared is ugly head so at least I've got something to look forward too, but have been told it is very unlikely I will start this year. GLOOM

Same for me, I'm still in progress. Think it might be because I only sent my application on the Closing day and there's a lot to get through.

However my I pad didn't show me the "attach covering letter" option so I only sent my CV, therefore, after reading this thread, I'm not expecting a positive outcome.

I passed everything for Commercial Guard with SWR over a year ago and was waiting for a start date before COVID reared is ugly head so at least I've got something to look forward too, but have been told it is very unlikely I will start this year. GLOOM
Time will tell but I doubt the lack of a covering letter will make much of a difference. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.