• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

APT speed record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovich

Hi there

I'm having fun finding out about the various speed records set in the UK.

I've found out that the Mallard hit 126mph on the ECML between Little Bytham and Essendine in 1938.

The Eurostar hit 208mph in 2003.

I've read that the APT set a record of 162mph in 1979.

My question is, does anyone know specifically where the APT's record was set?

Many thanks!!

Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Quintinshill north of the Beattock summit on the WCML
Suspect you mean :
Quintinshill - north of the Beattock summit
Thus taking advantage of the downhill sections on either side of Beattock summit
The southbound is more likely as it is known the APT could easily reach 150mph once clearing the speed restriction through Beattock Summit
Northbound the APT the downhill gradient is not as steep

The Quintinshill Up loop was used to make the return journey (rather than Carlisle)

I have not been able to find the location used to make the other return journey, common sense would suggest Carstairs, yet I cannot find any photos of such high speed tests (from either Carstairs or Abington Up loop)

TGV

Eurostar record was set on a run from Westenhanger to Singlewell. The actual speed of 208mph was recorded at Nashenden Farm between the North Downs tunnel and Medway bridge.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It also set some reasonable speed records on the Midland Mainline, but I don't really know where.
That was the APT-E gas turbine prototype train though, as opposed to the APT-P pre-series electric trains which hold the 162mph speed record.

The APT-E high speed runs were somewhere south of Derby on the MML as far as I know, although unfortunately I can't be any more specific than that. It also got up to some substantial speeds on the GWML.

Wyvern

Established Member
The APT-E high speed runs were somewhere south of Derby on the MML as far as I know, although unfortunately I can't be any more specific than that. It also got up to some substantial speeds on the GWML.

The APT-E never really got the chance to make any high speed runs because of the service trains around it. Most of the speed trials were on the Old Dalby line. I imagine the MML would have been a good line to show off the tilt. However the record-breaking run of 152.3 mph was on the specially closed GWML on 10 August 1975.

Status
Not open for further replies.