• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Thought I'd get this thread going again.

Here's an image which has popped up on the WNXX forum a few times: http://simon71.fotopic.net/p34884903.html

Have to say, this s**t me up when I first saw it. Whether it's just the shape of the smoke creating what appears to be a person or whether it really is the genuine article or not I don't know. For the record, I can't find any account of Tangmere itself being haunted.

TBH this photo looks as if its a blury shot, I've got plenty similar on my camera.

Thats not to say I don't believe in ghosts. Someone was mentioning to me the other day of a haunted Cl450 'Desiro' that had crashed during tests (not in the UK) and killed a couple of people. Is that even true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Theres a story of a lorry driver who was killed at rolleston station level crossing, when a train ploughed into his lorry on the lincoln-nottingham line. Apparently he is seen walking on the crossing and up onto the platfrom allegedly looking for his lorry.

Just prior to travelling through Rolleston station behind 31454 & 31601 on Wednesday night on the Rail Blue charter back to Lincoln, I made a point of getting a window at the end of the coach, as I'd read some of the stories about this spot. Needless to say, I didn't see anything, but both platforms were completely unlit, so they did look a little creepy. The only light I could see was that coming from inside the crossing keeper's hut.

Although, travelling through such a remote station behind a pair of veteran Type 2s was, to say the least, awesome. It was a very enjoyable tour and the 31s performed brilliantly.

Back to the original point... the only stuff I've read about Rolleston has been on the Paranormal Database website. Never read anything elsewhere, so I do have my doubts about the stories.

Kernowfem

Back to the original point... the only stuff I've read about Rolleston has been on the Paranormal Database website. Never read anything elsewhere, so I do have my doubts about the stories.

See Nottinghamshires railway ghosts, by John R. Smalley (heritage series)
Also railway ghosts and phantoms by W.B Herbert.....stories including Rolleston and Fiskerton are included in both books :)

simonw

Judging by the way the steam appears, that just looks like a long exposure capturing the fireman moving. Long exposures of brief moving objects can produce a ghostly effect.

As its my pic, I thought I'd comment.

Its a 1/4sec exposure.

It was not taken to achieve the effect.

Personally I don't believe in ghosts but its an interesting pic which does raise a few comments from time to time.

deltic1989

Established Member
As its my pic, I thought I'd comment.

Its a 1/4sec exposure.

It was not taken to achieve the effect.

Personally I don't believe in ghosts but its an interesting pic which does raise a few comments from time to time.

It's a very interesting pic. Was there anyone on the footplate when you took the shot? From looking closely I can just about make out that the figure seems to be wearing a hi-vis waistcoat and black t-shirt. As I presume this is a digital shot then double exposure may not be the explanation but maybe there was a reflection of sime sort, or slight movement in the camera at the time of the shutter release (though since the rest of the shot is in sharp focus this may be unlikely). Would you mind if I borrow this shot to post on another forum i'm on (paranormal interest) to see what they people there make of it?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And just a thought from me - as the face is quite clear, I wonder about if you sent it to Mike Notley from Steam Railway; he would surely recognise who it is as he seems to know all the steam crews.

simonw

It's a very interesting pic. Was there anyone on the footplate when you took the shot? From looking closely I can just about make out that the figure seems to be wearing a hi-vis waistcoat and black t-shirt. As I presume this is a digital shot then double exposure may not be the explanation but maybe there was a reflection of sime sort, or slight movement in the camera at the time of the shutter release (though since the rest of the shot is in sharp focus this may be unlikely). Would you mind if I borrow this shot to post on another forum i'm on (paranormal interest) to see what they people there make of it?

TBH I can't remermber - the shot is over 3 years old.

There was no jiggery pokery on my part - I have wondered if someone fired a flash at some point when I was taking the picture (which incidently is a crop from larger picture).

Please feel free to borrow the shot.

And just a thought from me - as the face is quite clear, I wonder about if you sent it to Mike Notley from Steam Railway; he would surely recognise who it is as he seems to know all the steam crews.

It did actually make it onto the pages of Steam Railway as they ran an article on ghosts -and I sent it in folowing the article. However, it was on the letters page but they printed it so small I would think most readers would have wondered what I was on about .

Last edited:

Kernowfem

It did actually make it onto the pages of Steam Railway as they ran an article on ghosts -and I sent it in folowing the article. However, it was on the letters page but they printed it so small I would think most readers would have wondered what I was on about .

Ooooh can you remember which issue the ghost article was in? I'd be interested in reading it!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll make a useful contribution for this thread for once: I recently bought to books on 'true' ghost stories, one concerning the Peak District, the other Essex. Both contain stories of alleged hauntings on stations: Rowsley and Darley Dale in the Peaks, and Maldon in Essex. They'll be shortened and reworded by me, and typed up on here tomorrow night.

Matt

HawkeyeTheNoo

Hi Guys, my first post! Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this thread! Thanks to everyone for the great stories!

HawkeyeTheNoo

Thanks Kernowfem! :)

Anyhoo I cut and pasted this from a ghost story site a while back (can't remember which one) The author was a Peter McKechnie and I post it here for your delectation!

When I was 18 I had a girlfriend who lived 20 miles away at Park Gate. To get to, and from there I regularly used the train from Cosham to Swanwick station. To get home on this particular Sunday evening, I arrived at 11:00 pm on Swanwick station. It is a fairly remote and dingy station and it was unusual for anybody else to be there at this hour, but a lady in her late 40's or early 50's was seated waiting for the last train. She was about 5ft 4 inches tall, of plump build, with permed hair, and was wearing a "camel" coat and was carrying a very large canvas shopping bag, which had a tartan pattern on.

I sat down to wait for the train (which were frequently late). After a few minutes the lady asked if there was a train as she "had to get back to Portsmouth". I told her that I was also waiting for the same train and that it should be along soon. Several times she asked the same question and reinforced that she "must get back to Portsmouth". When the train eventually did arrive, she remained seated but became very agitated and began to cry. I told her that this was the last train, but several times between sobs she repeated: "I can't go back". I asked if I could help, and suggested that if she got on the train that perhaps we could talk about any problems she had. But again she said "I can't go back". Meanwhile the guard had got off of the train to point out that this was the last train on that night and that if I was getting on I should hurry (from his angle he probably couldn't see the lady). Reluctantly I got on the train, and as it pulled out of the station I could see her sobbing.

On the journey home I felt guilty about leaving her, as she was obviously very upset about something. On arriving home at Cosham I telephoned the Police at Park Gate and briefly related the story and asked if perhaps somebody could visit the railway station and see if she was ok. I gave a description of her height, dress, and the bag she was carrying. I assumed that perhaps some domestic dispute was the cause of her distress.

On arriving home from work the next evening (Monday) my mother drew my attention to an article in the local paper, "The Evening News". She knew that I caught the train from Swanwick and this article was appealing for witnesses to an accident near that station. I immediately recognized the photograph included in the article as the lady from the previous evening, the description of her clothing, height, dress and bag also matched perfectly. The article was appealing for witnesses to an accident where the lady had been killed whilst walking along the railway lines.... ON THE SATURDAY EVENING.

I telephoned the newspaper and suggested that they had confused the dates, and that I had spoken to the lady, they checked and to my surprise insisted that the accident had been on Saturday. I then telephoned the police who listened to my story, and indeed confirmed that I had reported the incident on Sunday evening, however were adamant that the incident had occurred on Saturday.

In a subsequent article in the local paper I learned that the lady was called Maureen Hampton, she was a patient in a local mental hospital (Coldeast). She had been allowed out on the Saturday and had been to Portsmouth. Returning in the evening she had missed the station at Swanwick and got off of the train at the next stop (Bursledon), not being familiar with the area she had decided to walk the short distance back to Swanwick along the lines, and been struck by a train.

Now, I wish I had remained or touched her!!! However, I caught the bus after this!

Kernowfem

Interesting story Hawkeye, thanks for sharing. There was a recent article in one of our local papers last week about a woman who was walking her dog on the old track bed just outside of Clowne near Chesterfield. A place called Elmton. I believe it was part of the old GC line (i may be wrong) She reported that while out with her dog and fifteen year old grandson at around 4 pm, she claims that she heard the sound of a heavy diesel loco that seemed to be 'barrelling' towards them at speed. They saw nothing, but felt a great 'rush of wind' before the sound faded.

I feel at this point i should point out Elmton sits right on the edge of Cresswell which is directly on the Worksop-nottingham line, so it is possible what she actually heard was a heavy freight travelling on this particular line. I do think its possible for the sound to travel quite well across the open fields that surround the village of Elmton and Cresswell.

Just thought i'd share this with you :)

Yew

Established Member
Do you know if there was the 'clackity clack' of old track, that area of the robin hood line is all welded steel, so if there was some clacking, then its unlikely to be from robin hood ( there could be some old sidings around there with old track)

Strange@Crewe

I've recently been told of a particular room on Stoke on Trent station which is haunted - a skeptic having their photos on the digital camera (taken for a health and safety assessment) spontaneously and inexplicably deleted...

...and another involved a figure seen overnight at Stafford station when closed, seen on a platform, then moves without using the bridges to the next island of platforms, and was seen to glide without walking from one end of the platform to the other. The security guard was scared witless and threatened to leave his solitary post if anything else happened that.

Seems almost everywhere is haunted, and that puzzles me!:?

Kernowfem

Do you know if there was the 'clackity clack' of old track, that area of the robin hood line is all welded steel, so if there was some clacking, then its unlikely to be from robin hood ( there could be some old sidings around there with old track)

Sorry Yew, no mention of the sound of track. It simply claimed she heard a diesel locomotive coming towards her followed by a rush of wind :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seems almost everywhere is haunted, and that puzzles me!:?

It seems almost anywhere is claimed to be haunted. Whether a location actually is or not i doubt can ever be proved with science today. Possibly in the future science will progress enough to determine whether ghosts do or do not exsist.....untill then, it makes for great debate.

Thanks for sharing the stories again, as ever, i enjoyed reading them :)

Don2912

I've just read through this thread in its entirety - Some intriguing stories...

Whilst I prefer to remain "on the fence" regarding the subject of the paranormal, I also like to keep an open mind.

I personally do not have any railway related stories to tell, however I have had several "experiences", which I am (presently) at a loss to explain. I shall post them, if there is interest.

Going back to the subject of RAF/ airfield ghosts, here is a link to a post on an aviation Forum which I frequent, the photo therein is rather interesting:

http://http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1719650&postcount=1180

Don

Strange@Crewe

Just saying Hello to Don in Long Eaton - I lived there 93-96 before moving to Crewe! Good memories.

Tim

Ivo

Established Member
I think this is my first post in this thread! That doesn't bode well, does it? :?

Firstly, I've had a look at the database of apparent rail hauntings (not going to say where I found it!), and am highly intrigued by the one about the Box Tunnel involving a girl in a nightdress. It goes thus:

ParanormalDatabase.com said:
Four men working in an ultrasonics gang all heard a female moaning at the mouth of the east exit. As the noise grew louder, they though it a joke, until one man shone his torch up the hill and the party spotted a woman in a nightdress looking down at them - she vanished before their eyes. When they reported the sighting, they were told that the figure had been seen previously by a group of six men.

What amazes me most though is the date of this entry: February 2011! If such a thing was as recent as this, I am more than slightly tempted to head over to Box and get as close to the eastern portal [annoyingly not the Box end] as possible, and see if anything should come up. I know this sounds childish, but it would be a serious thrill! :D

I do actually have a slightly disturbing story of my own, although it doesn't relate to hauntings. I forget the exact date, but at some point in the first six days of July 2005 I had a dream about an Underground train being derailed by an explosion... You don't need me to tell you what happened on the 7th. I was doing my paper round at the time, and given Southend's proximity to Aldgate the words "TERROR AT ALDGATE" were splashed on the front page of the local. I thought little of it - until later that evening anyway.

Although the above is the only rail-related story along these lines I have, it wasn't an isolated instance of me dreaming something "serious" and watching it unfold... Remember that tornado that hit Kensal Green in December 2006? Someone told me about it in an AS-Level Geography class later that day, and having dreamt about a tornado hitting London at 5am that morning, I quite literally froze...

Anyway, although I've never really felt able to contribute to this thread until now (having seen the database), it has been a thoroughly pleasing read (and a fine cause for debate as well; I will admit to being skeptical about a small number of examples in this thread). Keep it up everybody! And, if I may, a thank you to a certain lady for starting the thread in the first place :) even if it was 18 months ago

P.S.: If anyone has any stories about the LTS line, they would be most welcomed! You never really hear interesting stories about my childhood route...

Last edited:

...and another involved a figure seen overnight at Stafford station when closed, seen on a platform, then moves without using the bridges to the next island of platforms, and was seen to glide without walking from one end of the platform to the other. The security guard was scared witless and threatened to leave his solitary post if anything else happened that.

Well, Stafford was the location of at least two fatal accidents in the 1990's, although only one person was killed in each incident:

"Two accidents have happened at Stafford, both in recent years. In 1990, an out-of-service train heading to a depot in Birmingham crashed into the back of an express train bound for Penzance on Platform 4 at Stafford station. The driver was killed and 36 people were injured. Then in 1996, a mail train collided with a freight train carrying industrial acid just south of Stafford. A mail sorter was killed and another 22 people were injured. The mail train locomotive was catapulted up the embankment and came to rest against a house."

merciandamo

Ive really enjoyed reading through the stories in this thread. Ive had a few moments myself over the years.
I used to live on burton road in ashby de la zouch. One morning very early 5ish i woke up, had breakie and nipped outside for a fag before making my way to work. Whilst in the garden i heard a steam engine whistle from the street just up the road where my car was parked followed by whooshing noises and chuffing. There was no other noises and nothing travelling on the main road. The nearest working railway to my knowledge was the burton-leicester line which was a good quarter mile away! Feeling very daft i mentioned it to a couple of neighbours who informed me that the street where i parked my car was part of the former ashby-derby line and they had also heard a train at different times over several mornings. Gave me the creeps and i always looked over my shoulder after that when walking to my car lol

sheika

1992 and I find myself sat in the brake van of a 63 slam door at Bognor. Had just worked the train in from Barnham doing the guards bit as the original guard went sick so they used me as I was a spare trainman.

Anyhow, the train was into Barnham then empty back to Lovers Walk. We pulled in and everyone got off, I walked to the back of the train and to make sure everyone was off and walked back to the brake van where I got in and sat down waiting for the driver to change ends and get ready to go. A woman walked past the brake van going towards the back of the train and smiled at me as she went by. I didn't think too much of it as the platform staff were up that way and I assumed they would see her and get her off the train.

So,time to go and I get the tip off the platform guy. I asked if he kicked the woman off, the one that walked past a few minutes earlier. "What woman" he asked........

I told him what happened and we went to have a look for her. No sign. Told the driver who told the signaler and we all had a look down the track. Nothing. The woman was no where to be seen any where.

Trains were cautioned and we went out under caution and she was no-where to be seen. I know I seen her that night, I just know it but she didn't get off the train and no one had seen her on the station. To this day I can't work out where she went.

I have also heard drivers talking about seeing people in Clayton Tunnel many a time.

Thats freaky :lol::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.