• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Saver Halves redateable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elecman

Established Member
i have and Advance Single to London and the return ticket was issued as a Saver Half. I need to change my date of travel byba fortnight but still travelling on the same trains and accordingbtonNRE the same tickets are available at the same price. Can I exchange these tickets for the same ones in a fortnight by paying a £20;admin fee at the same TOCs booking office?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's going to problematic. I had exactly this problem a couple of years ago but trying to get VTWC to understand the problem was impossible.

In the end they sent me a £50 fob off voucher.

Elecman

Established Member
Thanks, I can’t see anything saying there not exchangeable somwill try on Monday at Preston Booking office

alistairlees

Established Member
This is fine, there's no reason not to be able to change a Saver Half. It's just an Off-Peak single that has retailing restrictions, but these don't affect the general rules regarding delays, refunds, cancellations etc.

Elecman

Established Member
The tickets were bought through a 3rd party booking system used by my employer not directly from VTWC website

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The problem I had was is that it's treated as a refund and new purchase. That's fine when taken at face value, the SVH was refunded but you can't buy a SVH on its own. I already held the other portion so it was a case of computer says no! Phoned their web support and they also said it couldn't be done.

Ended up buying a 'throwaway' advance so I could buy the SVH I needed (which was still cheaper than the SVS). Complained to VTWC and was fobbed off with a £50 voucher. While that was a good outcome for me it did absolutely nothing to address the problem.

I fear the OP will not be able to get a SVH changed for a SVH at a ticket office. I suspect they will only be able to change it to a SVS.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is fine, there's no reason not to be able to change a Saver Half. It's just an Off-Peak single that has retailing restrictions, but these don't affect the general rules regarding delays, refunds, cancellations etc.
I agree, that is the contractual position.

Elecman - good luck. Let us know how you get on...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just to clarify, are you actually wanting to change the dates on both tickets? If so, I see no reason why it cannot be done at a ticket office.

If change is only required on the Saver Half, then I agree it can be problematic at a ticket office, although it is not impossible.

Elecman

Established Member
Just to let you know, Preston booking office hadn’t no difficulty in re issuing the 2 tickets for the same prices just cost me the £20 excess. Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Haywain

Veteran Member
On VTEC, a Super Off Peak Half (SSH/SSU) is an online only ticket that must be purchased ahead of the day of travel and therefore it cannot be changed at a ticket office. A refund and rebook (at the station) would require a full price ticket to be the new purchase, regardless of when it was carried out.

Elecman

Established Member
I thought that might have been the case on WC as the booking Office at Blackpool North couldn’t do anything on a Saturday with the Saver Half other than offer to refund it an£ sell a full price off peak single. However as I said above Preston booking office had no trouble doing a £10 change of ticket to re date each of the tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I thought that might have been the case on WC as the booking Office at Blackpool North couldn’t do anything on a Saturday with the Saver Half other than offer to refund it an£ sell a full price off peak single. However as I said above Preston booking office had no trouble doing a £10 change of ticket to re date each of the tickets.
Which leaves the question of which was right and which was wrong!

Elecman

Established Member
I have no idea, but it was easily done without question or comment, the clerk just overrode the ticket price on his machine to Zero and charged me a £10 excess fee on each ticket

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a bit off for a customer to be charged £20 admin fee just for changing a date for a journey that happens not to be on one return ticket. It's worth noting that some companies will charge a £10 admin fee for a journey that comprises any number of tickets if they were all bought in the same transaction, and some won't charge any admin fee at all.

But not a terrible outcome, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.