• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are the elderly not respected enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

"Probably the happiest period in life most frequently is in middle age, when the eager passions of youth are cooled and the infirmities of age not yet begun and when we see the shadows, which are at morning and evening so large, almost entirely disappear at mid-day."

Eleanor Roosevelt

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I do wonder if the attitudes of the younger people commenting may change when they get to a more ripe old age

So rather than trying to remain neutral and seeing both sides I'll suddenly only see what's in my best interest. :roll:

Glad to see the old people on here are worthy of the respect some of them demand.

meridian2

So rather than trying to remain neutral and seeing both sides I'll suddenly only see what's in my best interest. :roll:

Glad to see the old people on here are worthy of the respect some of them demand.

Where have you been, Oxbridge-high-and-mighty, I've missed you! ;)

I've also missed your chronic inability to read posts properly.

Just to remain pertinent, I think by the time some on here to get to our age, the meaning of the word 'respect' will be lost forever, especially as we're such a financial drain.

Clip

Established Member
In many cultures the elderly are highly respected, In the UK its frequently the opposite as this thread clearly demonstrates.

What constitutes respect in your eyes though?

Does giving them respect mean we have to give them things for free?

If so then why not free everything?

TheKnightWho

Established Member

Just to remain pertinent, I think by the time some on here to get to our age, the meaning of the word 'respect' will be lost forever, especially as we're such a financial drain.

I've been around - just in stealth mode ;)

And I'm not sure I did miss the point, really - the meaning of the word respect changes simply because what is considered acceptable changes over time but people's perceptions of it don't. So whilst a lot of people who're 80+ still think people should automatically give them their seat etc. even if they can walk perfectly fine, a lot of younger people only give people things when they can tell they genuinely need it because you shouldn't have to go above and beyond simply because someone's old (which I agree with, really); obviously there are exceptions to this. At the same time, though, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes predominantly still exist only within older circles (but are by no means a majority opinion, mind), so in many ways things have really improved. It's not as clear cut as you're making out.

Plus, as I said above, no-one seems to be arguing that old people should get absolutely no respect which many people in your camp seem to think they are, but on the other side few people seem to be arguing that old people should get more respect simply for being old, which many on the other side seem to think you're arguing.

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member

And I'm not sure I did miss the point, really - the meaning of the word respect changes simply because what is considered acceptable changes over time but people's perceptions of it don't. So whilst a lot of people who're 80+ still think people should automatically give them their seat etc. even if they can walk perfectly fine, a lot of younger people only give people things when they can tell they genuinely need it because you shouldn't have to go above and beyond simply because someone's old (which I agree with, really); obviously there are exceptions to this. At the same time, though, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes predominantly still exist only within older circles (but are by no means a majority opinion, mind), so in many ways things have really improved. It's not as clear cut as you're making out.

Plus, as I said above, no-one seems to be arguing that old people should get absolutely no respect which many people in your camp seem to think they are, but on the other side few people seem to be arguing that old people should get more respect simply for being old, which many on the other side seem to think you're arguing.

Seems to me you did miss the point I was trying to make. Namely most people have a very different view of things when they reach say 50-60 than they did when they were in their teens or twenties. Nothing to do with respect or values. It's just the way it is.

ExRes

Established Member

"At the same time, though, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes predominantly still exist only within older circles"

What absolute and utter rubbish, have you been to a football match recently ?, have you been to a pub or a club recently ?, have you walked round a shopping centre recently ?, have what opinion you like but don't spout rubbish like this which is as far from reality as you can possibly get, racism, sexism and homophobia are shared out equally among all age groups, ethnic groups and genders throughout this country, THAT is fact

WelshBluebird

Established Member
"At the same time, though, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes predominantly still exist only within older circles"

What absolute and utter rubbish, have you been to a football match recently ?, have you been to a pub or a club recently ?, have you walked round a shopping centre recently ?, have what opinion you like but don't spout rubbish like this which is as far from reality as you can possibly get, racism, sexism and homophobia are shared out equally among all age groups, ethnic groups and genders throughout this country, THAT is fact

I don't think that is quite true.
While you are correct, such views generally are found throughout society, it does seem that they are more prevalent in older people than any other age group. The same can be said about attitudes towards mental health (coming from having an ex who had mental health issues, this one has been proved true time and time again). I know all of that is a massive generalization, and I certainly am not saying all older people hold those views or that those views are limited to just older people.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I don't think that is quite true.
While you are correct, such views generally are found throughout society, it does seem that they are more prevalent in older people than any other age group. The same can be said about attitudes towards mental health (coming from having an ex who had mental health issues, this one has been proved true time and time again). I know all of that is a massive generalization, and I certainly am not saying all older people hold those views or that those views are limited to just older people.

This. I was careful to make sure I wasn't making out like all older people are racist and all young people aren't. My point is that younger generations *tend* to be better in these respects, but not entirely of course. And frankly, there are thousands of hours of research that back this up - ExRes' personal experience doesn't cancel that out. Had you gone back to 1950, which many people here seem to want to in terms, I think you'd find racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes would be a lot worse than they were now. Not all values from back then were good, and respect is a very difficult measure to gauge. As I said above: what one person might consider respectful another might find really patronising, irritating or downright rude because of the generational gap.

The reason I'm bringing this up is against the people claiming that all things were better back in the good old days. In some ways they were, but in many ways they're not. After all, the core tenet of movements against stuff like racism etc. is getting some basic human respect - it's not just about saying please and thank you or giving away free bus passes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seems to me you did miss the point I was trying to make. Namely most people have a very different view of things when they reach say 50-60 than they did when they were in their teens or twenties. Nothing to do with respect or values. It's just the way it is.

Of course they do on the surface, but people's core values tend to stay pretty stable really. This isn't me just saying it, either: there're loads of studies that back this up. (And if you want citations I can go digging through for some later, but I really don't have the time right now.)

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
At the same time, though, racist, sexist and homophobic attitudes predominantly still exist only within older circles (but are by no means a majority opinion, mind), so in many ways things have really improved. It's not as clear cut as you're making out.

I think the word "only" is in there by error, because I don't think that is what you wanted to say.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I think the word "only" is in there by error, because I don't think that is what you wanted to say.

Rereading it: I meant "where they still exist it tends to be within older circles". Removing 'only' would make it read like I was saying that they're predominant within older circles which I don't mean at all.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hmm, yes, the word "predominantly" is giving off some unintended vibes as well, but I see what you mean now.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Being one of those of the elderly fraternity, I noticed the use of the word "respect" used by some of the teenaged generation in recent years and often wonder in what context they intend that word to mean when they use it.

Can someone of younger years than I clarify that matter for me ?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Being one of those of the elderly fraternity, I noticed the use of the word "respect" used by some of the teenaged generation in recent years and often wonder in what context they intend that word to mean when they use it.

I think it depends entirely which group of young people you're talking to ;)

ExRes

Established Member
Rereading it: I meant "where they still exist it tends to be within older circles". Removing 'only' would make it read like I was saying that they're predominant within older circles which I don't mean at all.

I still think you are making totally unfounded and inaccurate accusations, after 16 years of working in and commuting to London I think it's pretty obvious that racism, sexism and homophobia belong to no particular generation, if you're trying to paint a picture of a tolerant youth culture in this country then you are not getting about very much and before you say anything, I'm not referring to London alone by any means, I've travelled a great deal around this country and found exactly the same wherever I've been

Do you go to pubs and clubs, football matches and the like ?, if you don't you should try it and see the levels of hate that abound and check out the age ranges while you're there
Hmm, yes, the word "predominantly" is giving off some unintended vibes as well, but I see what you mean now.

I think it's far more than the one word that gives off 'unintended' vibes

fowler9

Established Member
Wow, some people are in for a shock at how quickly they will get older and what they count as being older. If in 5 years time they read what they wrote now I am pretty sure they would be disgusted. They would still think they are young and forward looking as I do, and I am nearly 40.

Yeah it is spelt without a t and is generally used by people who deserve none but think they do just for having had a sperm doner get their mum pregnant.

DownSouth

Established Member
I think it's true to say that there are greater numbers these days that have no respect for anyone or anything else, though I'm sure some will argue otherwise.
I agree, and would suggest that this applies across people of all age groups. Those asking why "the youth" have no respect might like to ask who "the youth" are learning from.
They have for countless generations before this one! :D
Very true - the behaviour of youth has always started to decline around 5-10 years after the person speaking has stopped being young!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I agree, and would suggest that this applies across people of all age groups. Those asking why "the youth" have no respect might like to ask who "the youth" are learning from.

Exactly, I wasn't referring to any particular generation, it's across the board.

Some interesting points have been mad eon this thread, and I don't disagree with a lot of them. Respect to all!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I was at Pride yesterday, and the number of people marching in their 60s, 70, 80s and even 90s was heartwarming. It's easy to stereotype young people as progressive and old people as reactionary, but it really isn't true. Every generation has progressive kind people and every generation has people who think that Britain First are a bit too tolerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.