• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are too loud and too many PRM alarms and announcements making travellers uptight.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just picked up on GWR Twitter complaint saying annoying to hear non stop announcement at Taunton station:- "Please hold on to the handrail when using the stairs". I've heard it myself at the Low Level Platforms at Glasgow Queen St. GWR Twitter says it is to prevent accidents as if they don't trust people to know how to use stairs properly and carefully.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just picked up on GWR Twitter complaint saying annoying to hear non stop announcement at Taunton station:- "Please hold on to the handrail when using the stairs". I've heard it myself at the Low Level Platforms at Glasgow Queen St. GWR Twitter says it is to prevent accidents as if they don't trust people to know how to use stairs properly and carefully.
"when using the stairs, please use the handrails and take care" plays every single time someone uses the stairs at Swindon. Enough to drive you insane.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally, I find sanctimonious announcements telling me how to use stairs make me go out of my way to disobey them even if I was otherwise going to use the handrail.

It's like "please do not climb on this pile of logs" and the likes. It hadn't entered into my mind before I saw the silly notice, now it is.

High Dyke

Established Member
im just pretty sure, over the top announcements and alarms/chimes just irritate people.
Absolutely. I'm out at a rural 'two-trains' an hour station at the moment. In the last 3 hours I've heard the 3'S security announcement about five times now. Only once has a train announcement been made by the Customer Information System (CIS). Heaven knows what the neighbours behind the station think if the CIS is warbling periodically through the night; when the line is closed.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's even worse on TfL, the train stops for 1 second, the driver apologises and almost immediately the signal clears and the train proceeds - what's the point?

Not all the time though - I was on an eastbound H&C service the other day and it stopped at signals between Gt Portland St and Edgware Road several times with not a dickybird from the driver. Not even the automated "we are currently being held at a red signal and should be on the move shortly" was broadcast.

bramling

Veteran Member
Personally, I find sanctimonious announcements telling me how to use stairs make me go out of my way to disobey them even if I was otherwise going to use the handrail.

It's like "please do not climb on this pile of logs" and the likes. It hadn't entered into my mind before I saw the silly notice, now it is.

Sadly it's the classic case of a dullard middle manager being given a brief from on high along the lines of "we have seen an increase in accidents at x - do something about it". For managers who aren't very bright or creative the answer to anything is to have announcements go out.

Parallel

Established Member
My biggest gripe for station announcements are when there are SO many generic announcements about everything and anything, they overlap and prevent the more useful train service announcements playing. ATW are the worst, but GWR is also pretty bad for this.

One from Newport today, a manual announcement interrupted a train service one to say that the singular toilet on platform 1 wasn't in use...

tsr

Established Member
I have never understood why on Virgin EC we have to have the guard welcome passengers after EVERY station followed again by the head steward in the buffet car give the same welcome.
Surely the guard, after his welcome can simply remind new passengers that the buffet is open? We do not need to be welcomed twice !

No, this really annoys me too. I can understand one announcement to welcome everyone, but announcing the presence location of the buffet (other names available) is all that's really needed, and that can be done by the guard in their main post-departure announcement. Unless something is out of the ordinary, almost every rail traveller knows what a buffet is and does - it's very stereotypical railway stuff - so they only information they need to know is that it is open for business, and where it is.

Can guards override the automated audio announcements to disable some or all of them? Watched a clip on youtube the other day the PIS done an announcement, then the guard repeated a good chunk of the same information

PIS can be overridden on some stock, not others. As an example, on Bombardier stock the driver usually has the fullest extent of control. Sometimes guards are responsible for setting up and controlling the system, at other times it's the driver, and sometimes it's a mix of both.

On Electrostars, for example, the driver sets up the PIS speech and visual destination and calling pattern (also their last step of cab setup, which confirms to all and sundry that they will be ready for dispatch, when appropriate), and said system should then use GPS cues to carry on throughout the whole journey. The destination and calling pattern are entered using a 4-digit route code, which should be printed on the diagram or a reference sheet. The driver can also (unless the thing is really broken) turn off either the screens, audio or both. The guard can send manual and some pre-set automated announcements, but not control whether or not the train displays a calling pattern. Both driver and guard can set placeholder text over frozen information on screens, but only if the pre-set automated message can be selected and broadcast from the database. Etc. etc. etc. for each type of stock!

Why do we get 'Due to today's inclement weather conditions...' announcements when there isn't a drop of rain?

Most likely because CIS staff have forgotten to cancel it (or gone home and then remembered...). It usually does relate to actual weather in the CIS operator's area of control at some point during their shift - but this being Britain, the weather is a bit changeable!

Having all of the stations on the scrolling display at all times for people to look at if they need to, and only having an announcement of what the next station is would be sufficient

I'd be quite happy about that, with the calling pattern perhaps read out during station calls at major interchanges, or during a manual "welcome" type of announcement at set intervals.

Unnecessary calling pattern scripts are one of the biggest complaints from passengers when it comes to opinions of PIS.

I suspect the difference in door open/close tones is a way of differentiating what the door is doing.

It is.

If we could turn off the aircon maintaining 15 second door close on metro services it would be a great help as then the wretched doors wouldn't keep closing one after the other, with resultant tones, when a train is laid over at Victoria.

Please don't, Metro/suburban air con struggles enough as it is! A decent pause at a terminus for 10-20 minutes can really help get it back to normal. Closing the doors definitely helps.

It seams that Southerns new OBSs love their PA system even if that don't have a clue what to say and need to read the script from their fancy tablets they have now.

They don't even really get the information from their tablets (basic calling patterns and that's about it!). There is a special "handbook" which has a load of waffle in it, much of which is generally ignored by the more sensible ones, who you'll barely hear, in comparison.

A few weeks back whilst waiting at a Junction (arrived early as most do and so has to wait for the correct path) to join the mainline. The OBS was straight on to the PA system apologising for the DELAY to this service and that we are waiting for the signal onto the mainline and we will be here for a few minutes as we have arrived EARLY.

Announcing you are waiting because you have arrived early is fine, indeed Southern's management do quite like that, because it saves complaints.

On the other hand, recent OBS recruits would not necessarily know if they were early, so every pause is generally assumed to be a delay. Remember that some of them were never even properly taught how to read a diagram, with all its allowances and symbols and even easy stuff like classes 0-9 of headcodes - let alone any form of route knowledge, or how long it usually takes from A to B.

They announce “delays” because it’s good customer service. It is one of the only good things that has been introduced by the railway in recent years. Some people might travel around with one eye on the WTT and the other on their watch but most don’t so if a train stops anywhere other than a station a short, informative announcement can put people’s mind at rest.

A competent guard will never announce early running as a delay, they should always use it as an opportunity to promote the railway as well as reassurance. It is good customer service, indeed a nice bit of PR.

I was under the impression that it was in light of 7/7 that these guidelines were introduced. If a train stops suddenly in a tunnel where a more inexperienced or anxious passenger wouldn’t expect it to, an announcement may help to reassure them that everything is fine (or that any problem is under control and being dealt with.)

Announcements regarding stopping in tunnels have been known to be specified as being required "immediately" by some TOCs - ie. either driver or (where provided) guard must announce the reason, or best known description, as soon as the train is stationary and it is safe to do so. It's actually the most consistent of all the different types of announcement in my area.

they are normally set automatically to play every x minutes..... pure laziness really that they are not stopped/altered during disruption to avoid passengers getting frustrated.

It's deliberate. The Disruption Mode on CIS in your area is designed to still play security messages at the required frequency.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yes I have seen the onward creep of alerts and tones ever since 1988 when the new central line trains had door beeps. No longer could I sleep from Holborn to White City.

On TfL busses I have no idea why there is a beeping when the doors are open. Is it to tell me the doors are open or to tell me they are closing. Its damn loud when you are stood under it. The beeps are sounding most times as I get off so I ignore them. I sit upstairs to get as far away from the noise as possible. Mind you I could do with a warning before the bus accelerates as its now a hybrid so no clue from the snoozing engine.

In my local Tescos there is an announcement as you reach the end of the escalator saying "you have reached the end" - always makes me think of dying !.

Its more relaxing to drive my car. But also, if I go to Cardiff on the coach there is only one announcement and that is made once - please wear your safety belt - oh but not always !.

We could do with quiet coaches on trains.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
The simple days when a train at a busy tube station would need nothing more than a brief "Mind the doors please" from the driver before they're slammed shut.

People are so wrapped up in cotton wool these days, it's little wonder so many think that it's the world's job to look out for their every move as they mindlessly walk into the road on their mobiles.

I find the multitude of audio announcements really irritating, especially on a long journey. It's not just irritating though, it's also counter productive. Many people don't listen to them any more as there are so many it's mentally classed as background noise.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
One that really gets on my wick is the announcement, I think at stations using VT's relatively new automated system, which preludes the CCTV announcements with 'Your attention please, this is the security monitoring centre...'. Is there really any need to say anything more than 'CCTV is in use'? Even the mention of 'for safety and security' is probably superfluous.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
One that really gets on my wick is the announcement, I think at stations using VT's relatively new automated system, which preludes the CCTV announcements with 'Your attention please, this is the security monitoring centre...'. Is there really any need to say anything more than 'CCTV is in use'? Even the mention of 'for safety and security' is probably superfluous.

Is there really any need at all for announcements on Virgin that CCTV is in use? How many stations that VTEC or VTWC call at don't have CCTV in use?

On the LU is there really any need for the "mind the closing doors" PA announcements (ok they might possibly be needed during peak times)?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is there really any need at all for announcements on Virgin that CCTV is in use? How many stations that VTEC or VTWC call at don't have CCTV in use?

Indeed, I don't know if there is some legal requirement to inform users of its presence and application but I think you'd have to go a long way to find someone who would be surprised by its use on major railway stations (or airports, shopping centres etc).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

"Security Monitoring Centre" - the Stasi would be proud. :(

goblinuser

Indeed, I don't know if there is some legal requirement to inform users of its presence and application but I think you'd have to go a long way to find someone who would be surprised by its use on major railway stations (or airports, shopping centres etc).

It is a requirement (well a sign is anyway) to inform people. But I imagine it is also effective at reminding potential criminals they're being recorded.

Taunton

Established Member
Whenever this topic comes up, unlike other topics, there is always complete agreement that the present volume (in all senses) and frequency of the general blah has become excessive. You wonder how those who determine this stuff get so out of touch.

On the Docklands Light Railway, the countdown train describers which show the next 3 trains (very useful on the common shared sections) have become a target for the H&S mob, for when the next train gets down to 1 minute lines 2 and 3 are now lost to a boldface scrolling display " "*** Stand Clear Train Approaching *** ", which stays there until it has approached, done its station work, and departs. Apart from the actual nonsense of the describer saying "Stand Clear" all through the time when you actually have to step forward to get into the train in the first place (which ought to have failed any logic test review), late platform arrivals don't know the following sequence any more, and if you are on board and wonder how far behind a service you wish to change to is, you can't see it, as each station you stop at now has this.

Unnecessary messages are one thing, but when they actually start suppressing long-displayed useful information to show them, it is just stupid.

Sprinter153

Just travelled on a VTWC service from Coventry to Euston, and after every stop the Train Manager was warbling on about BEAM, Virgin Red, booking direct, delay repay (the service was on time). Was anyone actually listening? Probably not.

It does a disservice to those of us who stick to more sensible PA use. It's no wonder that people don't listen to SDO announcements or genuinely important information if they are subjected to this sort of claptrap.

paddington

I took the 0828 XC from Penzance on a recent Saturday and the guard spent about 5 minutes announcing every stop and the scheduled arrival time, all the way to Dundee at 21-something. There was also some waffle about how the train was completely full so don't sit in reserved seats - but most of the seats were reserved from Plymouth from what I saw and it was empty out of PNZ, he was basically speaking to about 30 people. I got off at St Erth.

One useful announcement that was ignored: I took 2H86 1713 Kyle of Lochalsh - Elgin which goes via Welsh's Bridge past Inverness and then reverses into the east side of the station. The guard quite rightly warned everyone twice to remain seated and let the driver walk through. Of course as soon as we stopped everybody except the enthusiasts got up and started taking their luggage out into the aisles and doorways so the driver had to climb over the bags.

Edit to add, seeing the delayed delay repay thread on the other forum, this reminded me of the GWR signalling problems on 2nd July. After waiting at Exeter for 2 hours, 1A89 finally departed and every 10 minutes, the guard would make some nearly incomprehensible announcement apologising for the delay, but during the 1 hour that it took to get to Tiverton, we hadn't even moved and nothing had changed - except that the guard kept adding on minutes to the total delay time.

It was almost incomprehensible because he had an odd accent and spoke very quickly and softly, although after hearing him say the same thing 20+ times I guess most passengers managed to work out what he meant by the end.... it was funny as he started off with "wepolgiseforthdlayofproxmtely TWO HOURS" then it became TWO HOURS FIFTEEN MINUTES etc, and he was still doing it after Reading where it was THREE HOURS FORTY FIVE MINUTES and of course the delay had to become exactly FOUR HOURS when we finally got to Paddington.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the Docklands Light Railway, the countdown train describers which show the next 3 trains (very useful on the common shared sections) have become a target for the H&S mob, for when the next train gets down to 1 minute lines 2 and 3 are now lost to a boldface scrolling display " "*** Stand Clear Train Approaching *** ", which stays there until it has approached, done its station work, and departs. Apart from the actual nonsense of the describer saying "Stand Clear" all through the time when you actually have to step forward to get into the train in the first place (which ought to have failed any logic test review), late platform arrivals don't know the following sequence any more, and if you are on board and wonder how far behind a service you wish to change to is, you can't see it, as each station you stop at now has this.

Glad I'm not the only person who finds this irritating. They do the same on LUL. For example if you are heading to Paddington and are on a westbound Met service you want to know at Great Portland St if the train behind is a H&C or a Met. If it is the latter then it will be quicker to stay on the Met you are on and change to the Bakerloo at Baker St, however you don't know due to that "Stand Clear Train Approaching" message.

EM2

Established Member

I'd love to show you some CCTV of what happens when people don't use stairs properly.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Indeed. Outside Leeds station I deliberately cross the road at the patronising "DO NOT CROSS HERE" sign for exactly the same reason. And when using the Southern entrance I try to respond to the "STAND STILL, HOLD THE HANDRAIL AND FACE THE DIRECTION OF TRAVEL" announcement by doing the opposite!

TUC

Established Member
Edit to add, seeing the delayed delay repay thread on the other forum, this reminded me of the GWR signalling problems on 2nd July. After waiting at Exeter for 2 hours, 1A89 finally departed and every 10 minutes, the guard would make some nearly incomprehensible announcement apologising for the delay, but during the 1 hour that it took to get to Tiverton, we hadn't even moved and nothing had changed - except that the guard kept adding on minutes to the total delay time.

It was almost incomprehensible because he had an odd accent and spoke very quickly and softly, although after hearing him say the same thing 20+ times I guess most passengers managed to work out what he meant by the end.... it was funny as he started off with "wepolgiseforthdlayofproxmtely TWO HOURS" then it became TWO HOURS FIFTEEN MINUTES etc, and he was still doing it after Reading where it was THREE HOURS FORTY FIVE MINUTES and of course the delay had to become exactly FOUR HOURS when we finally got to Paddington.
Having been on an extensively delayed service, I found the regular announcements from the guard reassuring in that it continued to confirm to passengers that he was very alert to how long we had been stuck.

mark-h

"when using the stairs, please use the handrails and take care" plays every single time someone uses the stairs at Swindon.

I am waiting for somebody to sue when they injure themselves sliding down the handrail (that would count as "using" the handrail).

hassaanhc

Established Member
"when using the stairs, please use the handrails and take care" plays every single time someone uses the stairs at Swindon. Enough to drive you insane.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Also at Ealing Broadway.

hassaanhc

Established Member
On the Docklands Light Railway, the countdown train describers which show the next 3 trains (very useful on the common shared sections) have become a target for the H&S mob, for when the next train gets down to 1 minute lines 2 and 3 are now lost to a boldface scrolling display " "*** Stand Clear Train Approaching *** ", which stays there until it has approached, done its station work, and departs.
:roll: No, it stops scrolling once the train has stopped and you can see the list again.

Glad I'm not the only person who finds this irritating. They do the same on LUL. For example if you are heading to Paddington and are on a westbound Met service you want to know at Great Portland St if the train behind is a H&C or a Met. If it is the latter then it will be quicker to stay on the Met you are on and change to the Bakerloo at Baker St, however you don't know due to that "Stand Clear Train Approaching" message.

If you stand by a door or are in the right place on the train, you can see the list as soon as the train stops.

Last edited:

Tracked

Established Member
185s initially had a good PA system when they were new; clear, quick and to the point, useful and without waffle. She would announce the destination and the next stop, without going through the whole stopping pattern after leaving each station.

TPE are quite bad for it, I've been doing Sheffield-Doncaster on them in the late afternoon and it does seem that most of the stretch between Sheffield and Meadowhell is taken up by a mix of automated and guard announcements - usually they'll both say where the train's stopping, and in addition the automated one will mention the emergency exit posters and the guard will say they'll be doing a ticket check. I wouldn't mind, but they are quite loud and I'm usually on that train trying to have a conversation with someone I know who gets the same train <(

WYPTE 333's too - how many times between Leeds & Shipley do we need to know "This is the xxxxx train, the next station is Shipley" (the new stations have introduced some variety, but these announcements were around long before them).

xotGD

Established Member
Indeed. Outside Leeds station I deliberately cross the road at the patronising "DO NOT CROSS HERE" sign for exactly the same reason. And when using the Southern entrance I try to respond to the "STAND STILL, HOLD THE HANDRAIL AND FACE THE DIRECTION OF TRAVEL" announcement by doing the opposite!

But there are also signs telling you to stand on the right - presumably so that people who are ignoring the instruction to stand still can overtake you on the left!

xotGD

Established Member
Yesterday morning it was raining in Sheffield, but by 5 o'clock there was glorious sunshine and not a drop of moisture on the platforms. However, we were still getting announcements about the need to take care due to the inclement weather.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd love to show you some CCTV of what happens when people don't use stairs properly.

What happened to "you are silly on the stairs, you hurt yourself, your fault"?

Or if you bowl someone else over and cause serious injury, they sue *you*, not the railway?

It is obvious how to correctly use stairs and every single person over the age of about 5 knows. Personal responsibility is all it takes, not sanctimonious announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.