• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva 150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

animationmilo

150251 is back.

Does anyone know what the next one is?

Maybe someone has a list?

Thank You

Established Member
150251 is back.

That must have been the one I saw round the back of Canton the other day, couldn't quite make out the number!

I think the new livery looks very smart. One thing I did notice is that 150280 now has blue seat covers like most of the 150s rather than the red and green Valley Lines ones. I can't help but wonder why it wasn't given the new ATW pattern instead!

WelshZ

I can't wait to see a 142 in the new livery it looks very smart. anybody know when when the pacer's go in for a lick of paint

fgwrich

Established Member
I can't wait to see a 142 in the new livery it looks very smart. anybody know when when the pacer's go in for a lick of paint

Not going to happen. ATW have / are currently repainting their 142, 143 & 153 Fleets into the current Aquamarine and Cream livery as currently carried on those units. Now the 175s on the other hand probably will receive this livery during their next C6.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Now that i can't answer (because i don't know!) however, i think they were repainted during their last major overhaul in Longsight?

True, they only gained ATW livery in 2007ish I think, from FNW barbie colours. Word on the street is that they will be repainted into WAG colours when the 150s are done.

Adam :D

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Not going to happen. ATW have / are currently repainting their 142, 143 & 153 Fleets into the current Aquamarine and Cream livery as currently carried on those units. Now the 175s on the other hand probably will receive this livery during their next C6.
That doesn't make any sense. Why put the 150s in the so-called 'WAG livery' when 153s and Pacers stay in the standard Arriva style?

SprinterMan

Established Member
That doesn't make any sense. Why put the 150s in the so-called 'WAG livery' when 153s and Pacers stay in the standard Arriva style?

God Knows :P
Maybe they are getting the bus livery, as 142s and 143s are basically buses, and 153s were built by British Leyland, who also built buses ;)

Established Member
I've noticed some of the 142s now have the new grey and blue seat covers, including 142010 which only has them in one coach for some reason.

fgwrich

Established Member

I have no idea either, this is Arriva we're talking about! However, ignoring the central wales line (classed more as a branchline than a mainline), it may be that the 150s are covering fairly lengthy mainline duties as per the 158s - so a common 'Mainline' livery perhaps, with the 153s, 143s and 142s being largely confied to branch line type work. That's one theory on it anyway!

atwales

Can somebody please explain the C3/6 terms as I have seen them betweens cars on 158's before and not sure what they mean?

Also do Arriva have any plans to put 1st class on their mainline services on the 175's?

fgwrich

Established Member
Firstly, Welcome to the Forum ATWales.

Right, it's been explained somewhere but this is one of the better explanations i can remember / find. From the Northern Rail Forums

C1 to C8 are 'Heavy Maintenance' categories for ex-British Rail Coaching stock, including Multiple units.
Traditionally these meant a visit to main works such as Doncaster, but in recent years it has been more cost effective to carry out as much as possible at the larger running maintenance depots.

Post-privatisation stock may well have different categories for repairs and overhauls.

A standard C6 overhaul won't change anything inside the train, damage and wear is repaired like-for-like.
Although body work repairs are carried out, a full repaint is optional, and patch painting may be all that is done.

A C6X is C6 plus any extra work, this may be as little as changing the seat cushions and covers, or could be a full interior refit with new design seats. New headlights and driver's desks may also fall into this category.

Repaints and interior refits can be done at any time, but it is convenient to do it at C6, when the vehicle is stripped down.

For a class 156, C6 overhauls have taken place between 7 and 10 year intervals.
C4 overhauls, I think a figure of about 400,000 miles is about the period for 156s.

It may also be worth mentioning that the engines and gearboxes on DMUs are considered separately from the carriage, and have their own maintenance cycles based on mileage.

C1 & C2 are the heaviest repairs and include major structural work. C2 overhauls were done on Mk2 and Mk3 stock in the late 1990s.
C3 overhauls are pretty much C4 and C6 work combined. EMUs have had these. Not heard of 2nd gen DMUs getting C3s.
C5 is 'unplanned' work carried out at main works, could be collision repairs, or mods and enhancements.
C7 described as "passenger coach underframe work". ( maybe heating and aircon ?)
C8 EMU motor bogie repair.

http://northernrailways.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6809

SprinterMan

Established Member
Can somebody please explain the C3/6 terms as I have seen them betweens cars on 158's before and not sure what they mean?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Also do Arriva have any plans to put 1st class on their mainline services on the 175's?

As it stands, there are no plans to put 1st Class in the 175s, and they are unlikely to in any eventuality, as they are pushed for capacity as it is and 1st class is very under-used on the WAG express.

The C3 written on the end of 158 carriages means that the carriages are 23m long. If they are 20m long, C1 is written on the vehicle end. AFAIK C2 is not used.

A C6 is a sort of mechanical overhaul that normally involves a repaint, and is not related to the C3 written on the vehicle ends AFAIK.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The C3 written on the end of 158 carriages means that the carriages are 23m long. If they are 20m long, C1 is written on the vehicle end. AFAIK C2 is not used.
Do class 166 and class 165 units have C3 on them, given that their vehicles are also 23m long?

If not, C3 is probably for 23m-long vehicles with the standard width for 23m vehicles (166s/165s are supposedly wider than most other stock with 23m-long vehicles).

atwales

Great help! Thanks very much both. Do you have any advice how I would get a tour around a depot, specifically Canton?

507 001

Established Member
Saw 150 254 at Blaenau Ffestiniog t'other day, it had holes all down its body side just at the top of the tumble home, definitely in need of doing!

This WAG livery is very, very smart IMHO. One thing I'm not sure of though is if it's like the new Scottish livery? I.e will it stay if and when arriva lose the welsh franchise?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I'd doubt it as it uses the Arriva corporate colours doesn't it?
Is the 'Arriva Swish' at the ends a sticker or paint? If it's a sticker, take it off and the dark teal, although still an Arriva colour, would be comparativly neutral... and the trains would look better for it.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
150255 is the latest unit in the new livery. It has been working on the Penarth line today with 150267. I saw a double set pass me at Grangetown earlier (one in the new livery) and found out that 255+267 were on the Penarth line, so must have been them.

So, as far as I know, there are four units in the new livery: 150213, 150236, 150251 and 150255. Have I missed any and/or what is the next unit going in?

Status
Not open for further replies.