• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva London trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperLionBang

How'd it go today SuperLionBang?

Mine is tomorrow, just planning my early set off to get to Watford for 8:30

Hi, Sorry, I just saw you message today.

it went really well thanks. I was the only one to make it through the day to the MMI. Have to wait 7 - 10 days for the result of my interview. The day was full on but not as bad as I thought it would be. Fingers crossed i get a positive response from my interview.

Good luck for today!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tempuser

Thank you. Blimey, I'm glad I asked. Can't be much fun wearing a tie while doing all those tests though!

Saffa

Hi, Sorry, I just saw you message today.

it went really well thanks. I was the only one to make it through the day to the MMI. Have to wait 7 - 10 days for the result of my interview. The day was full on but not as bad as I thought it would be. Fingers crossed i get a positive response from my interview.

Good luck for today!!!

Thanks SuperLionBang.

Like yourself, I ended up staying the distance to the MMI. I found them fairly non committal with a time frame. Hopefully we hear the result soon and then join the queue for a DMI!

vitesse

When it comes time for a DMI guys do yourselves a bit of a favour and do your own reasearch so when you get asked to "tell us what you know about ARL" you dont give a canned answer thats the same as every other applicant, when i worked for ARL and was interviewing people tend to stand out more when they say something a bit unexpected and different from the norm as we often hear people rattling off stuff they have memorised from the internet :) Dont go overboard just a little bit of info thats not the common stuff that everybody says.

C.T.P.

Anyone else passed Stage 1 & Stage 2 assessments elsewhere and applied for arriva trainee train driver?

I’ve done assessments with MTR Crossrail and passed but not had a DMI with them. I’ve applied for this arriva one but not heard anything.
Same here.

Saffa

Hi mate, I had mine in January how do you think it went?
Initially I thought it went well, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could have said this and could of said that, the same with any interview tho I guess. They seemed happy with my responses unless they just wanted to get rid of me for an early lunch!

How'd u feel yours went?

Turner22

Initially I thought it went well, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could have said this and could of said that, the same with any interview tho I guess. They seemed happy with my responses unless they just wanted to get rid of me for an early lunch!

How'd u feel yours went?
When I left I felt the same as you. Initially felt good but as the days went on I started to rethinking my answers and felt I could have done better.
I passed it and they let me know around 8 days later. So hopefully by Friday you will hear back.

Saffa

When I left I felt the same as you. Initially felt good but as the days went on I started to rethinking my answers and felt I could have done better.
I passed it and they let me know around 8 days later. So hopefully by Friday you will hear back.
Fingers crossed!!

Grimsy

Hey guys,
New member here, just signed up really to say thank you to the people in this thread as well as many others in this forum.
Drawing from all the experience and advice dotted over this forum I've managed to secure a place driving with Overground and will hopefully meet some of you on the training course in April.
For everyone else still trying for the job or waiting on results, don't give up and I wish you all the best of luck.
G

Turner22

Hey guys,
New member here, just signed up really to say thank you to the people in this thread as well as many others in this forum.
Drawing from all the experience and advice dotted over this forum I've managed to secure a place driving with Overground and will hopefully meet some of you on the training course in April.
For everyone else still trying for the job or waiting on results, don't give up and I wish you all the best of luck.
G
Well done mate. All the best.

James Jr

This was quite helpful, thank you for ur efforts in breaking it down. With regards to the VSE, is there a 'rule of thumb' so to speak that could help guide our concentration and focus. The impression is, of the two facets, one takes priority? So my question is how can you possibly do both tests simultaneously. I've tried with the practice material going along with its format. The Dots in the squares and the.moving across to the column of letters to identify the errors. It took me about 5mins to complete the whole sheet which I did leisurely to get a hang of the task.

From one Gooner to Another lol

you will be going to the OPC office in Watford , there Will be fewer people at this one ( I had 6 on my day 2).
You will do a mixture of tests ( sorry don’t know the names for the tests ) some paper based and some on a computer, as put above , you will do the old stare at the blinking grey square test , you have to push a button as quickly as you can when it changes colour.
You will also do a search exercise where you have a photo pop up on the screen for a few seconds , you will then have 5-6 options to chose how many items you saw i.e;

Car
Motorbike
Traffic lights
Pedestrian
Shop front etc

I think you get 5 separate photos.

Another test is the hand ( using both hands ) , eye co ordination test where you will have to draw a line around a set pattern trying to keep your line with in the set pattern , for this you will have two joy sticks , one will just control up and down movement, the other left to right movement. If you draw outside the pattern you get a warning noise , you need to move it back in as quick as possible.

Another test is the VSE , I personally found this the hardest , it’s broke down into 3 sections ;
First part you watch a dot( simulating a train) making it way round a track, as soon as it skips a part , or maybe two dots appear you push a button.
Second part, you will have a series of shapes , if these shapes match you pick( note they don’t have to be next to each other) , No fault button , if they don’t match pick , fault.

For example

* +

^ *

+ ^

See the 3 shapes match , so this is a no fault

Then you have to do both together, the train going around the track is your primary task.

Unlike day 1 you will get told your results as you go along , if you don’t pass a test you go home.
Survive all the tests , it’s then time for your MMI.
Apart from that it’s not to bad lol

Gooner18

This was quite helpful, thank you for ur efforts in breaking it down. With regards to the VSE, is there a 'rule of thumb' so to speak that could help guide our concentration and focus. The impression is, of the two facets, one takes priority? So my question is how can you possibly do both tests simultaneously. I've tried with the practice material going along with its format. The Dots in the squares and the.moving across to the column of letters to identify the errors. It took me about 5mins to complete the whole sheet which I did leisurely to get a hang of the task.

From one Gooner to Another lol

Yes the dot moving around the circuit takes priority , you can keep your eye on both , but focus most of your attention on the Dot , occasionally looking at the symbols, once you see a fault with how the dot is moving you click the button then quickly look at the symbols to see if they match or not.
My advice is to use the practise ones wisely on the day , and only move onto the test when you are ready.

James Jr

Yes the dot moving around the circuit takes priority , you can keep your eye on both , but focus most of your attention on the Dot , occasionally looking at the symbols, once you see a fault with how the dot is moving you click the button then quickly look at the symbols to see if they match or not.
My advice is to use the practise ones wisely on the day , and only move onto the test when you are ready.
Hey Bud,

Thanks for your response. This is quite cool speaking, reading and learning from so many of you, and with the going success rate of members in this forum I shall hope to one day become a member too. Lol.

Thank you in advance

Also GREAT WIN THIS WEEKEND 2-0

Last edited:

SuperLionBang

I was also successful and have my medical at the end of March and hopefully starting on the training at the end of April at New Cross Gate!

Gooner18

Hey Bud,

Thanks for your response. This is quite cool speaking, reading and learning from so many of you, and with the going success rate of members in this forum I shall hope to one day become a member too. Lol.

Thank you in advance

Also GREAT WIN THIS WEEKEND 2-0
Not a problem matey.
Top 4 here we come lol

James Jr

4 months since I sent the application and still nothing heard :(
Dont loose heart buddy, my experience (if not most) was pretty much the same.
I'd say if you haven't heard anything its not particularly a bad thing but a positive in view of recruitment processes. If your application wasn't successful I believe companies are required to provide feedback within an allocated period of 14days?
It also wont be a bad idea to email them to enquire about your application progress which is what I did, and surprisingly enough soon after I got assessment an date. All the best

Unknockable

Dont loose heart buddy, my experience (if not most) was pretty much the same.
I'd say if you haven't heard anything its not particularly a bad thing but a positive in view of recruitment processes. If your application wasn't successful I believe companies are required to provide feedback within an allocated period of 14days?
It also wont be a bad idea to email them to enquire about your application progress which is what I did, and surprisingly enough soon after I got assessment an date. All the best
I’ve done this and still haven’t got a reply, I emailed them like two months ago

James Jr

I’ve done this and still haven’t got a reply, I emailed them like two months ago
I'd like to think as you haven't heard any bad news then it's worth believing its good news, therefore my suggestion being sit tight and don't loose faith. I know its easier said than done.

Tron81

How many seconds would you say the picture pops up for?

you will be going to the OPC office in Watford , there Will be fewer people at this one ( I had 6 on my day 2).
You will do a mixture of tests ( sorry don’t know the names for the tests ) some paper based and some on a computer, as put above , you will do the old stare at the blinking grey square test , you have to push a button as quickly as you can when it changes colour.
You will also do a search exercise where you have a photo pop up on the screen for a few seconds , you will then have 5-6 options to chose how many items you saw i.e;

Car
Motorbike
Traffic lights
Pedestrian
Shop front etc

I think you get 5 separate photos.

Another test is the hand ( using both hands ) , eye co ordination test where you will have to draw a line around a set pattern trying to keep your line with in the set pattern , for this you will have two joy sticks , one will just control up and down movement, the other left to right movement. If you draw outside the pattern you get a warning noise , you need to move it back in as quick as possible.

Another test is the VSE , I personally found this the hardest , it’s broke down into 3 sections ;
First part you watch a dot( simulating a train) making it way round a track, as soon as it skips a part , or maybe two dots appear you push a button.
Second part, you will have a series of shapes , if these shapes match you pick( note they don’t have to be next to each other) , No fault button , if they don’t match pick , fault.

For example

* +

^ *

+ ^

See the 3 shapes match , so this is a no fault

Then you have to do both together, the train going around the track is your primary task.

Unlike day 1 you will get told your results as you go along , if you don’t pass a test you go home.
Survive all the tests , it’s then time for your MMI.
Apart from that it’s not to bad lol

Status
Not open for further replies.