• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Spice

Can someone please explain which tests you pass to become national and which you pass to become enhanced.

Saracen_83

All the tests have a national benchmark, then a toc can apply an enhanced mark for each test...

Certain tocs also add in extra tests, dfft, vse etc

Last edited:

East1991

Does anyone know what is involved in the VSE?

I recently took the VSE. It involves 3 test. Spotting error around tracks, then matching whether each column shapes are the same and finally doing both tests simultaneously, which in my opinion is the hardest. The first two are pretty straight forward however the last test is very difficult.

Hope that helps.

East1991

I passed! I did my MMI and I’m waiting to hear back from them whether I have passed. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I did my assessments.

Daly131

Hi guys i heard back on friday that i am invited to the assesment stage 1 on the 25h may.... good luck to those still waiting. I just wanted to clear something up that im not too sure about if anyone is able to help me please?? I passed all tests with GTR last year but only failed at DMI stage.... i know i have to attend stage 1 with arriva regardless but i am unsure as to what tests they may still want me to take and there's a mixed response to others i have spoken to about this..... from what i gather i may still be required to do the VSE and the situational judgement exercise is this correct?? The VSE does sound like a new test to me so any help with this would also be appreciated. many thanks, Danny.

Teddyward

Hi guys i heard back on friday that i am invited to the assesment stage 1 on the 25h may.... good luck to those still waiting. I just wanted to clear something up that im not too sure about if anyone is able to help me please?? I passed all tests with GTR last year but only failed at DMI stage.... i know i have to attend stage 1 with arriva regardless but i am unsure as to what tests they may still want me to take and there's a mixed response to others i have spoken to about this..... from what i gather i may still be required to do the VSE and the situational judgement exercise is this correct?? The VSE does sound like a new test to me so any help with this would also be appreciated. many thanks, Danny.
Stage 1 at arriva is GB, tea occ, dfft and a bespoke SJE. Have they confirmed your GB and tea occ are to the same standard? If so you’ll have a little wait the SJE is at the end of the day. Regards VSE if you haven’t done it yet it is required. Unfortunately you’ll have a long wait again at watford as it’s at the end of the computer tests. Really concentrate on the instructions for that one it’s a beast. Best of luck.

Daly131

Thanks for your response @Teddyward im gonna Speak with the OPC at some point now to confirm weather my passed results are good enough for arriva so i can pissibly cancel some tests out!! Yeah sounds like VSE is definitely mandatory so i will have to concentrate on that one.... do you have any tips with regards to giving that test my best shot!?? I dont believe this test was a part of the GTR requirements so not quite sure what to expect! Many thanks, danny

J05h1

Hi Guys,

Recently I passed all the assessments With London Overground for trainee train driver and now the next stage is DMI which is next week. Can anyone please help me what to expect and what sort of questions they can ask that I need to prepare.

Many thanks.

Skoodle

Hi Guys,

Recently I passed all the assesments With London Overground for trainee train driver and now the next stage is DMI which is next week. can anyone please help me what to expect and what sort of questions they can ask that I need to prepare.

The best piece of of advice is to make sure you do plenty of research on the company you are doing your DMI with.

J05h1

The best piece of of advice is to make sure you do plenty of research on the company you are doing your DMI with.

Thanks Skoodle I really appreciate it I will make sure that I do plenty of research about company. Thanks again.

Techno77

Hi,
I was wondering if someone who is already doing training at ARL would know if they offer childcare vouchers whilst one is being trained? (I understand that it's part of employee benefits, but not sure if you can claim them at the early stages of training)
Thanks in advance!

JoDo

Yes u can get childcare vouchers while training as you are a full time employee. I got £220 a month while training but that has now dropped to £109 as I qualified last October and now earn 1st years drivers monies apparently I’m in the higher earning bracket so it drops..in 5mnths I’m on full drivers money which means I might not qualify for childcare vouchers anymore.

Techno77

Yes u can get childcare vouchers while training as you are a full time employee. I got £220 a month while training but that has now dropped to £109 as I qualified last October and now earn 1st years drivers monies apparently I’m in the higher earning bracket so it drops..in 5mnths I’m on full drivers money which means I might not qualify for childcare vouchers anymore.
Thank you JoDo!
That's exactly the answer I was hoping to read.
Are you enjoying the job?

JoDo

It’s a good job, enjoy doing it, can b abit tiresome just before ur long weekend as u normally do 5-6 straight shifts before ur 7days off..being seeing a lot of trainees about. Had 2 front ending on my train this week. Things have changed since the 20th so we do things abit differently from wen I started. Older drivers complain about change, don’t mind them just enjoy driving. Wen do u start?..

Techno77

It’s a good job, enjoy doing it, can b abit tiresome just before ur long weekend as u normally do 5-6 straight shifts before ur 7days off..being seeing a lot of trainees about. Had 2 front ending on my train this week. Things have changed since the 20th so we do things abit differently from wen I started. Older drivers complain about change, don’t mind them just enjoy driving. Wen do u start?..
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the driving. I start on 12 June. Can't wait!

jyothi

Stage 2 assessments done!

Just at the train station on the way home now! I was the only one (out of 4 of us) that actually had to sit all the assessments this morning, the other guys had passed bits and pieces during other processes. Manage to get all the way to the MMI (which is the only bit they don’t provide results for right away) - so now it’s just a waiting game to find out how I did....fingers crossed!
hi,could you give a bit more idea on VSE

jyothi

To be honest bud , although i passed, i also kept prioritising the shapes, instead of the train, i think most people get drawn to it . I reckon that is because the shapes keep coming, while the train just changes now and again.
HOPE U R SAYING ABOUT VSE COULD U HELP IN BIT MORE HOW EXACTLY IT WORKS

jyothi

I recently took the VSE. It involves 3 test. Spotting error around tracks, then matching whether each column shapes are the same and finally doing both tests simultaneously, which in my opinion is the hardest. The first two are pretty straight forward however the last test is very difficult.

Hope that helps.
COULD U GIVE BIT MORE ADVICE ON VSE

utternoob

I FINALLY GOT INVITED FOR STAGE 1 ASSESSMENTS !!!o_O:D:D

email arrived this morning at 08:44

mine is on the 1st of August. Time to get revising

Status
Not open for further replies.